Total Posts:40|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Am I wrong to doubt God if I feel Abandoned?

Hanspete
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 10:17:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If I feel abandoned by the power of God am I wrong to doubt it? Please only Christians respond to this, Atheists not interested in your opinions of how religion is fake.
Please nominate Lee001 for the title prettiest girl on DDO: http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

Official Revolutionary Emperor

Bane of the DDO Elite, except OberHerr
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 10:30:48 PM
At 12/27/2014 10:17:51 PM, Hanspete wrote:
If I feel abandoned by the power of God am I wrong to doubt it? Please only Christians respond to this, Atheists not interested in your opinions of how religion is fake.

No. Your not wrong to doubt him. CS Lewis had his doubts as well as many others.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 10:42:25 PM

Everyone has doubts. Just like everyone gets scared of the dark at times. I'm not sure why you feel abandoned. But keep in mind that all we can do is our best, fight as hard as we can. Life or death is in God's hands.

Second, God knows the right time better than you do.

Three, your character and how you handle hard times, is longer lasting than the circumstances your in.

Trusting God to give you a door out. Pray to God for strength to take it. Seek out other God fearing people, best things in life are team efforts.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 10:55:21 PM

Sir Francis Bacon wrote these words on doubt in regards to education, which I've found enlightening:

"Another error is an impatience of doubt, and haste to assertion without due and mature suspension of judgment. For the two ways of contemplation are not unlike the two ways of action commonly spoken of by the ancients: the one plain and smooth in the beginning, and in the end impassable; the other rough and troublesome in the entrance, but after a while fair and even. So it is in contemplation: if a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts; but if he will be content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties."
- The Advancement of Learning -
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 12:12:54 AM

Let's look at Christ. He begs the Father, "Let this cup pass from me", and gets no answer. Instead, he suffers beyond our comprehension. On top of that, he's betrayed by a friend, ganged up on by a hateful mob, tortured, humiliated, spat upon, forced to carry his own cross, which he later hangs from in agony, and then cries out to his Father, asking why he was forsaken by Him.

Despite all that, He comes back the triumphant Son of God, and God the Son.

Would He have been wrong to doubt God's power?
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 12:18:16 AM
At 12/27/2014 10:55:21 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Sir Francis Bacon wrote these words on doubt in regards to education, which I've found enlightening:

"Another error is an impatience of doubt, and haste to assertion without due and mature suspension of judgment. For the two ways of contemplation are not unlike the two ways of action commonly spoken of by the ancients: the one plain and smooth in the beginning, and in the end impassable; the other rough and troublesome in the entrance, but after a while fair and even. So it is in contemplation: if a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts; but if he will be content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties."
- The Advancement of Learning -

Thank you for that gem, well said even if you are quoting.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 5:29:37 AM

It's interesting that you ask a question as though you want a sincere answer, and then you bat away all but those you know will all tell you that you should never doubt God. It exposes a degree of disingenuous in your intent.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 7:47:23 AM

So you just want pacification?
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 6:48:25 PM

Not necessarily.

Do you give God any reason to recognise you as being on his side?

God has set certain conditions for thsoe he recognises as being on his side, one of the first and most important is a desire to find out who or what God really is, how he wants us to serve him, and which relaly is the true faith.

If you really want to serve him his way, then by all means pray for his help and guidance in finding his peopel.

If all you want is his help and support, then don;t expect him to respond to what he would see as a selfish motive.

He has a work that needs doing in thei time of teh ends, and if you aren't interested in takeing part he will have no interst in you..

Just remember that as Jesus said God is looking for lovers of truth.

Also people who are preared to follow what Jesus said were the two most important laws in the Law code and whihc if followed fulfill all of God's requirenments of us. They are:

Deuteronomy 6:5
ASV(i) 5 and thou shalt love Jehovah thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

and part of Leviticus 19:18
ASV(i) 18 Thou shalt not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people; but thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself: I am Jehovah.

Also it is important to rememberJames 1:5-8
ASV(i) 5 But if any of you lacketh wisdom, let him ask of God, who giveth to all liberally and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, nothing doubting: for he that doubteth is like the surge of the sea driven by the wind and tossed. 7 For let not that man think that he shall receive anything of the Lord; 8 a doubleminded man, unstable in all his ways.

especially verses 6-8, the qualifyinmg verses.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 1:21:37 AM

He abandoned me for six years after I got pissed off at Him for humiliating me out of Christianity back in May of 1993. But once He came back in 1999 to start giving me more commands to obey, I am now speaking for Him.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 1:31:26 AM

Have you done anything recently to deserve this treatment from God?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 1:34:47 AM
At 12/29/2014 1:31:26 AM, Accipiter wrote:

God doesn't need a reason because of our actions to do what he planned to do from the very beginning. We all live according to His will, not ours.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 2:44:48 AM
At 12/29/2014 1:34:47 AM, bornofgod wrote:

God doesn't need a reason because of our actions to do what he planned to do from the very beginning. We all live according to His will, not ours.

We all live according to His will? So you are saying that everything is predestined?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 2:48:13 AM
At 12/29/2014 2:44:48 AM, Accipiter wrote:

We all live according to His will? So you are saying that everything is predestined?

Absolutely. I'm God's last saint who He has revealed Himself and His knowledge of the past, present and future. I already know why, how, where and when I will be killed for testifying to His knowledge, which is my created existence.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 3:25:31 AM
I believe in God. I want you to know that even when you have doubts you can always follow your conscience. Don't lose your principles, simply because you have doubts.

As long as you don't abandon your principles, you'll be okay.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 3:37:47 AM
At 12/29/2014 2:48:13 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Absolutely. I'm God's last saint who He has revealed Himself and His knowledge of the past, present and future. I already know why, how, where and when I will be killed for testifying to His knowledge, which is my created existence.

So then we can not consider people evil because they were borne that way automatically right?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 5:09:20 AM

Yes it's wrong to doubt or have faith for emotional reasons. This should be something you use a logical approach to come to.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 9:18:00 AM
At 12/29/2014 5:09:20 AM, Wylted wrote:

Yes it's wrong to doubt or have faith for emotional reasons. This should be something you use a logical approach to come to.

Faith not based on evidence considered with logic and reason is simply gullibility.

To pnich Christ's illustration it is like buildng your tower on the seashore, and on sand. One good storm and whoops, no tower.

A faith such as mine is built on solid granite. (and not jsut the granite between my ears, lol).
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 9:20:51 AM
At 12/29/2014 3:37:47 AM, Accipiter wrote:

So then we can not consider people evil because they were borne that way automatically right?

According to scripture we are borne wioth wicked heartts. It is a survival necessity for babies.

What happens from there on in depends on how we are brought up to control those self-centered instincts.

All babies are totally self-centered, that is how they survive.

The rest is down to what influences they absorb through their lives.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 9:21:50 AM
At 12/29/2014 3:25:31 AM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
I believe in God. I want you to know that even when you have doubts you can always follow your conscience. Don't lose your principles, simply because you have doubts.

As long as you don't abandon your principles, you'll be okay.

Better still to learn God's principles, and train your conscience according to them.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 9:23:42 AM

Those who say that are missing the point.

We live "according to God's will" in that it is according to, or because of, his will that we existed in teh first place.

The rest is largely up to us, and how we learn to react to our surroundings and the influences of others.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 9:24:39 AM

Or more importantly possibly, have you not done anything to desrve his attention?
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 9:30:03 AM
At 12/29/2014 1:21:37 AM, bornofgod wrote:

He abandoned me for six years after I got pissed off at Him for humiliating me out of Christianity back in May of 1993. But once He came back in 1999 to start giving me more commands to obey, I am now speaking for Him.

God never humiliates anyone. He does however allow us to humiliate ourselves, and, more rarely, to be humiliated by others, usually if we have been getting more arrogant that any Christian should.

Anything God allows to happen to us is to teach us somethign. Do we recognise that and learn the lessons?

I am disfellowshipped frmo the true Christian Congregation, and I have aloowed that to teach me many lessons. I am not yet back in teh congregation, but I am back in his love, and receiving his spirit, and have been for some time.

I accept whatever God allows to come my way, he rarely needs to do it himself there are usually a few enemies queueing up to do it for him, as a learning experience.

Keep James 1:5-8 firmly in mind, and have faith in him. Give him reason to have faith in you also. It makes no differe3nce what any human thinks it is what God thinks that matters, and of course his son also.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 9:38:01 AM
At 12/28/2014 10:11:52 PM, Skyangel wrote:
There's your answer in a nutshell. Become a JW. Then God will no longer abandon you.

Oh how I wish that were true. Becoming a JW is the start of the real life, not an end in itself.

Even as a JW if you do not live right God will turn his back on you. I should know, I am disfellowshipped, because basically God, figuratively at least, shook his head, stood back, and whispered in my ear, "OK son, see what you can learn from this".

People have the strange idea that jsut becomming a JW is a guarantee of salvation. It is.not true, there are no guarantees unless you remain faithful in word and deed right up to the end, or are at least struggling hard to be, even at the risk, or forfeit, of your life or the lives of the ones you love. After all if you, or they die faithful, there is the resurrection to rely on. If not there is nothing.

Whether that is the end of this system, soon to come, or the end of your life makes no difference, if you remain faithful, and only if you remain faithful, you will survive.

If not, JW or no, you will perish.

Like any truly loving father, God can and will use "tough love" if he needs to.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 10:21:22 AM
At 12/29/2014 3:37:47 AM, Accipiter wrote:

That's correct. Who's more evil; the woman who wanted an abortion, the abortion doctor, the Christian who stands in front of the abortion doctors clinic with signs to stop abortion or the Christian who blows up the abortion doctor's clinic, including the abortion doctor?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 10:26:08 AM
At 12/29/2014 9:30:03 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 12/29/2014 1:21:37 AM, bornofgod wrote:

God never humiliates anyone. He does however allow us to humiliate ourselves, and, more rarely, to be humiliated by others, usually if we have been getting more arrogant that any Christian should.

Anything God allows to happen to us is to teach us somethign. Do we recognise that and learn the lessons?

I am disfellowshipped frmo the true Christian Congregation, and I have aloowed that to teach me many lessons. I am not yet back in teh congregation, but I am back in his love, and receiving his spirit, and have been for some time.

I accept whatever God allows to come my way, he rarely needs to do it himself there are usually a few enemies queueing up to do it for him, as a learning experience.

Keep James 1:5-8 firmly in mind, and have faith in him. Give him reason to have faith in you also. It makes no differe3nce what any human thinks it is what God thinks that matters, and of course his son also.

You have never known our Creator or His power to control us saints and prophets into submission.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 10:58:51 AM
At 12/29/2014 9:38:01 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Even as a JW if you do not live right God will turn his back on you.

Like any truly loving father, God can and will use "tough love" if he needs to.

I think the author has some very strange idea of what is considered a 'truly loving father and tough love'.

How does God discipline his children? Eternal damnation. Extreme torment and suffering. Plagues. Floods. Pestilence. Genocide.

This is one of the reasons why the Abrahamic God has been referred to as psychotic.

And, that is equivalent to how real fathers are supposed to treat their children?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth