Sam Harris Owned In Live Debate!

IEnglishman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 9:29:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
https://www.youtube.com...

Funny, he admits to being wrong then dances around Craig's argument! Effing hilarious!
Bulproof admits he's a troll http://www.debate.org... (see post 16). Do not feed.
MEK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 3:41:15 PM
At 12/28/2014 9:29:28 PM, IEnglishman wrote:

Funny, he admits to being wrong then dances around Craig's argument! Effing hilarious!:

Well, it depends on your definition of what winning a debate looks like. WLC lays down a very logical argument basically stating that if objective moral values exist, then there must be a moral law giver, therefore god. He creates the rules for the engagement and expects Harris to defend a position of atheism under these rules. The problem is, Craig makes an initial presupposition that there needs to be a god if we have moral values. How does Craig know this? He doesn"t " he just presupposes this idea and builds his case on top of this foundation.

Harris simply jettisons this (wrongly or rightly " don"t know) and attempts to appeal to the rational by illustrating how nonsensical and conflicted one must be believing in a monotheistic entity given the number of monotheistic religions in the world most of which are mutually exclusive.

While I would agree that Craig is a terrific debater and under the strict rules of debate may have won, I would disagree that Harris did not hold his own quite well against him. As Harris may not have addressed each of Craigs three contentions, I would also argue that Craig failed to address many of Harris" practical points including a god who allows 9 million children under the age of 5 die each year to believing parents and the very confusing idea of monotheism and knowing which god is the correct god.

Saying "Harris Owned" is an exaggeration and most would completely disagree.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 5:16:36 PM

Funny, he admits to being wrong then dances around Craig's argument! Effing hilarious!

Odd, the title of the video is called, "The God Debate II". I can only assume you made up that title. Let's look at the comments on the site, here's one in which the debate is being critiqued:

"Craig is so limited in his thinking on morality."No morale accountability with out god". He is very wrong. He is totally discrediting strength of character and personal integrity. Owning ones self, ones own actions, ones own consequences ( good and bad) , how to make amends, to be self questioning, grow in self honesty and to improve on ones self."

Now, let's look at a comment from someone who, like yourself, didn't really pay attention:

"There is no debate. God is real and there is no excuse for not knowing Him. Eternity is forever; this life is nothing and useless without God in your life. "
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 5:32:36 PM
I disagree with both speakers in this debate on a fundemental level. Harris skips over the value problem by redefining what is moral. Craig does a pretty good job attacking atheistic morality but fails in upholding theistic morality. Moreover Craig needs to presuppose God's existance in his arguments, yet tries to slip past that assumption in the debate. Harris subtly attacked the assumptions few times in the debate, but really should have capitalised.

You can learn a LOT of from Harris' speaking style though. He's a really good speaker.

I enjoyed the debate, much more than most of Craig's debates. Craig comes across as quite obnoxious still though, expecially with rather dishonest attacks on Harris' book and the quotes made from it (I had read the book The Moral Landscape beforehand).
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 6:28:19 PM

Sam wasting time argueing for morality... at the end if there is no God, your thinking is your morality who cares what other thinks about it or how it should be?whats right or wrong? its your decision. no matter what arguments you bring atheism doesnt has it. tossssss
Never fart near dog