Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

How To Mentor A Depressed Or Suicidal Person?

MsTambo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 3:35:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I"ll try and keep this short. To tell you the truth, when it comes to this subject, all I can go by are my experiences and observations of "bad counseling". I have never needed anything other than that like, a psychotherapist, since I have never been diagnosed as someone having a mental disorder or needing drugs. I have though been to pastors, counselors, lay counselor, and therapist. I basically deal with "situational depression and PTSD," brought on by a current hurt, bringing up old hurts."I also find my depression decreases, if not totally is eliminated by just being around people, mainly interacting with them. I actually feel energized by them. But God has not allowed that to be a consistent thing in my life right now, so depression comes up more than I"d like.

I would think at 50 years old, I would KNOW myself by now, and know what I need to get better. And who knows, maybe the things I am about to mention might be what others need as well? So I am going to list some DO"S and DON"TS when it comes to helping someone who is actually SEEKING HELP and has acknowledged their need . That alone, is a huge step for someone in pain, and one that shouldn't be taken lightly and must be handled gently with understanding and empathy. If not you will become the NEXT one on their long list of hurts, and that isn't the goal, is it? RESTORATION and RECONCILIATION (with God, self and others) is always the goal for everything! The goal is to bring one to a closer walk with God and others, to help them accept themselves and their circumstances for what they are, and not how they wish them to be. And for them to change anything that may need changing, because habits are hard to change.
Now while, well meaning Pastors, Therapist, Counselors, etc may know what the GOAL is in the areas I just mentioned, they don"t always know how to effectively go about it, or communicate it. Often times, they want to "Put the Cart before the Horse", so to speak. They want that person to be at stage 6 when they haven"t even dealt with stage 1 yet"..I can"t tell you how many times that was done to me. Just like the grieving process, there are STAGES to go through, they can be in order or not, and they can even go back and forth and mixed up till the person is ultimately on an even keel. How long that takes, is up to God and them, and there is NO SET TIME LIMIT. I can only think of a few, who have been able to do that for me. You"d be surprised at the different kinds I have gone to and paid good money too. And to think, I could have done a way better job if the tables were turned, because "I GET IT!"...so here goes, not necessarily in order.

1) Please do not be AFRAID of the subject of DEPRESSION or SUICIDE. Can"t tell you how many times ones "fear" ruined it right off the bat. I even had one so called Christian Counselor up in GV, who after reading my life summary up till I got married, never got back to me, because her secretary said it was too much for her to handle, she thought I"d need someone "more trained""WHAT? NO, I need someone who KNOWS their BIBLE and doesn't use it to (I hate this expression) THUMP it over my head, but use it to edify. I also had another who got upset with me because his ex fiances son committed suicide and so did a cousin of his, so when it came to the subject of suicide, and basically depression of any kind, he couldn't, handle it, and let me know so in so many words".which leads me to my next point.

2) Before you throw any scripture at me, please get all your facts straight. Ask LOTS of questions. Do not ASSUME anything, no matter what you may have heard, read or whatever. Get all the facts from your subject, so you know exactly what you are dealing with. It"s like witnessing, you don"t go up to someone needing GRACE to get saved, and start pointing out all their sins and how they need to get "saved" or they are going to hell"no, they need the LOVE of God and His GRACE and His MERCY shown to them. Who am I to judge how they got where they are at now? True repentance and a contrite heart is what the Lord requires"is it not? Your judgment, chastisement and rebuke may be reserved for someone much more deserving of it. Which brings me to my next point:

3) Be SENSITIVE to what a person is really saying, or not saying, someone like me kind of lets you know if you've gone too far and are trying to put the "Cart before the horse". So back off and try another approach. Watch one"s body language if need be, (study the subject) Listening is key to what is really being said, and more often than not, what is NOT being said. I can"t tell you how often I have used that one just in breeding and selling race horses alone, and being out in the dating world again. By doing all of the above; by being sensitive to ones tone in voice, words, expressions, body language and boundaries, you are now showing that you possess an even greater capacity for effectiveness. You are now showing....

4) EMPATHY: You are now able to put yourself in their shoes. You don"t have to worry now about getting them to the "FORGIVENESS STAGE" when they haven"t even come close to being there yet. Kind of like when (I never forced my kids to do this, it was a process of the heart) parents or adults make 1 child apologize to another child, when that child doesn"t really mean it. Then we wonder why many adults do the same thing???...Yeah, I know genius right? I know that is the easiest thing to do, and you think you are teaching them the right thing by apologizing, even if the apology isn't real. But, while this concept of FORGIVENESS may seem KEY to you at this stage in your life, that may not be true for the one whose outlook isn"t quiet there yet, as their head hasn"t matched their heart".it is going to take time"it is going to take...

5) KNOWING they can TRUST the support system that is being offered
them".YOU".by your confidentiality, dependability, honesty, even corrective criticism (you will have to earn this one) feeling that you know "for by the grace of God there go I"".what can I do to help?...What can I do to be JESUS to you?

6) Offer scripture verses that only EDIFY and show HOPE and a PURPOSE"reserve ones that rebuke till after you"ve earned that position, or unless a subject warrants it and they know that as well".Sin is sin and will need to be dealt with, but in due time, never right away. Find out how they got to their sin if there is any, often it didn't take a short time to get there, so it may take awhile to fix and heal that which caused their bad behavior. Never base your rebukes on assumptions, only facts and real observations. Offer prayer before and after.... Offer homework and follow up with that homework weekly....offer coping skills.... offer outside help and resources.... offer ACCOUNTABILITY....have them reach out to others, volunteer, work on their Body, Soul and Spirit they are what makes you, you"still gathering as much info as you can by listening and asking questions.

7) Help them evaluate their strengths and weaknesses"Give them homework to work on their weaknesses, and build up the strengths. Encourage, why is that such a dirty word? In doing so you are now giving them that HOPE and PURPOSE, that they have so desperately been searching for. The one Jeremiah in the bible talked about in the bible, you know the one everyone keeps quoting. Yet, all they hear are words that are meant for others, but not for them. For they have no hope, for it does seem that God "is out to hurt them"".Jer 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

8) A few of the best people I have had mentor me or counsel me, were the ones who didn't view me as a "PROJECT" or a "NUMBER" or a "BURDEN" or a "$$$""they made sure they reached out, even when they didn"t have to, in small tangible ways like a card, lets get coffee, ... TO READ MORE... https://www.facebook.com...
MsTambo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 12:19:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
8) A few of the best people I have had mentor me or counsel me, were the ones who didn't view me as a "PROJECT" or a "NUMBER" or a "BURDEN" or a "$$$""they made sure they reached out, even when they didn"t have to, in small tangible ways like a phone call, a card, let"s get coffee, remembering special days. To someone who feels they have no one else that cares, this alone could be the only JESUS they've seen in quiet a long time. BE TANGIBLE and by doing so you are now showing COMPASSION. Compassion usually follows empathy. Read the story of "The Good Samaritan"

9) Speaking of Jesus, He said, the greatest commandment was to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart soul and mind"and OTHERS as yourself" "now we are getting closer to FORGIVENESS.

10) Help this person separate the TRUTHS from the LIES"have them give you an incident that overwhelmed them or that they felt was a form of injustice. But wait, your instinct may be to remind them of "Job, Jesus or Joseph" or some other non relatable saint or at least right now they can"t relate to them. No, listen and then help them separate the truth from the lies. Make sure they are being HONEST in their story, as we all have some part in any situation, but does their part illicit the right response or an extreme one, are they a victim or a participant? Take a child who has been abused in any form, is it that child"s fault?....NO WAY! In any way, shape or form. So out of the 5 factors I talk about, their SIN is out of the equation. So they can"t blame themselves and they need to know that (they can now FORGIVE themselves)"that is the TRUTH. The lie is from the EVIL one, so the blame needs to be put where it belongs. Along with the fact we live in a FALLEN WORLD"and the SIN of OTHERS is a huge one. This works for any situation, good or bad. Now one out of the 5 is GOD"S will. God doesn"t will evil; evil is the natural consequence of going against God and His will, through the other 4 factors. But God"s "will" does comes into play in the fact that no matter what, his desire is not so much OUTWARD as it is INWARD. What is man"s RESPONSE to evil? That is what matters the most, we cannot control what happens to us, but we can control how we respond. And that should be the goal of anyone helping anyone. What is important is OUR INSIDE and that is where TRUE FORGIVENESS comes from.

I could go on, but I think I"ll stop there. The point is, there can be a process of easily and effectively healing a broken soul, no matter how young or old. I am not sure why or what happened or if we ever had it, but I"ve yet to see this process in others myself. Maybe that will change, for I still have HOPE. Oh, the optimism in me.

I really enjoyed writing that one":)"SO MUCH FOR KEEPING IT SHORT".
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,641
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 1:48:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/30/2014 12:19:24 PM, MsTambo wrote:

10) Help this person separate the TRUTHS from the LIES"

The first thing is that we should make sure they never read anything you write about the subject. You have no idea what you're doing and are probably doing more harm than good.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
MsTambo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 3:48:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
That is funny, because I have had many, even pastors who use this approach for their ministry...but hey what do I know...lol

Let's hear your take, if you have one?
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 4:11:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Your answers are in your own post.
You know how to help yourself so do it instead of trying to get help from those who don't have a clue.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,641
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 4:19:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/30/2014 3:48:44 PM, MsTambo wrote:
That is funny, because I have had many, even pastors who use this approach for their ministry...but hey what do I know...lol

Not very much, if your posts are any kind of indication. Shoving a bible in the face of someone who needs professional help is selfish behavior. Your only interest is to evangelize, not help.

Let's hear your take, if you have one?

Trained professionals in mental health don't come to your church to preach the gospel.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 4:55:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/30/2014 12:19:24 PM, MsTambo wrote:

I could go on, but I think I"ll stop there. The point is, there can be a process of easily and effectively healing a broken soul, no matter how young or old. I am not sure why or what happened or if we ever had it, but I"ve yet to see this process in others myself. Maybe that will change, for I still have HOPE. Oh, the optimism in me.

I really enjoyed writing that one":)"SO MUCH FOR KEEPING IT SHORT".

Why did you enjoy writing this?

Was it cathartic?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Harikrish
Posts: 11,011
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 6:18:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/30/2014 3:48:44 PM, MsTambo wrote:
That is funny, because I have had many, even pastors who use this approach for their ministry...but hey what do I know...lol

Let's hear your take, if you have one?

Thank you for sharing your experience. I know what you are saying because I have met pastors with different backgrounds and a few that took courses in pastoral psychology. There are many Christians who believe they are sinners, who feel dirty and guilty inside and need some justification to satisfy their miserable state. Therapy cost money. It is so much cheaper to accept forgiveness through Jesus. They also get to meet other people who are also suffering like them on a weekly bases in church a place where Christians gather to heal their bad conscience.
So your admission that you sought help outside the church might be offensive to some. But be assured those pastors I met studying pastoral psychology were also looking for help for their condition.
I am a Vedantist raised in the Vedantic tradition. I practice CBT( Cognitive Behavioural Therapy). But my training is in esoteric scriptures and I am a Hindu by birth.
I often tell my readers I can either help you improve your current life or make your next life better.
You have offered many points almost like a 12 step guide for alcoholics. And all of them are valid. But unless your thoughts, feelings and behaviour are in sync and harmony. The solutions may not match the perceived problem.
Do continue. I have just joined the forum and look forward to some healthy exchanges.
MsTambo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 8:00:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/30/2014 4:11:30 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Your answers are in your own post.
You know how to help yourself so do it instead of trying to get help from those who don't have a clue.

Not really, guess you missed the whole part about the BODY of Christ in the bible...the body heals itself. "For a body can live without a limb, but a limb cannot live without the body"....Me.

Ecc 9-12, "Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their labor:
10 If either of them falls down,
one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
and has no one to help them up.
11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?
12 Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."
MsTambo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 10:20:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
WHOOPS, I FORGOT TO ADD

That, I wrote that a few years back. I'm in a good place now.

To learn more about me, check me out on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com...
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,238
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 11:07:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/30/2014 10:20:39 PM, MsTambo wrote:
WHOOPS, I FORGOT TO ADD

That, I wrote that a few years back. I'm in a good place now.

To learn more about me, check me out on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com...

Speaking as open as possible, I would suggest you refer them to some one else.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
MsTambo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 11:06:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm amazed how many "smart alex" remarks are made on this board with no real feedback or debate.

I know what works, and the book I am working on right now..."SEPARATING THE TRUTHS FROM THE LIES WITH THESE 5 FACTORS....How To Live A Happy Life"...will prove that I am right.

I've had many in the field of counseling, including pastors say, I am on to something when it comes to the FACTS of the book, all bible based of course.

But, I can see, if one discounts God's word why they would have a problem with any of my writings. That's ok, in the end God wins!
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,641
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 11:17:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/31/2014 11:06:23 AM, MsTambo wrote:
I'm amazed how many "smart alex" remarks are made on this board with no real feedback or debate.

The feedback is very real. You are not qualified by any stretch of the imagination, quite the contrary, in fact, to deal with mental health issues, especially your own.

I know what works, and the book I am working on right now..."SEPARATING THE TRUTHS FROM THE LIES WITH THESE 5 FACTORS....How To Live A Happy Life"...will prove that I am right.

No, it won't prove anything other than the delusions you embrace.

I've had many in the field of counseling, including pastors say, I am on to something when it comes to the FACTS of the book, all bible based of course.

Sure, pastors might agree with you, but they're deluded as well and should keep their noses out of things they have no understanding.

But, I can see, if one discounts God's word why they would have a problem with any of my writings. That's ok, in the end God wins!

Childish remarks.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
MsTambo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 11:28:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
LOL, you do not know my qualifications. And yes I am, more than you know!

I do not see you or anyone coming up with anything, nor have you shown me where I was wrong....so your just some kid who, like to put others down.

Be the solution, not the problem.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,641
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 11:34:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/31/2014 11:28:42 AM, MsTambo wrote:
LOL, you do not know my qualifications.

If your posts are any indication of your qualifications, then it would appear you have none.

And yes I am, more than you know!

I'm sure you are.

I do not see you or anyone coming up with anything, nor have you shown me where I was wrong...

Is that a joke? You have no clue what you're talking about in regards to dealing with mental health issues, you are only interested in evangelizing your religion.

Be the solution, not the problem.

The solution has already been presented.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
MsTambo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 11:57:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
See, right there you are wrong....how do you know what my qualifications are?

The business of mental health is FAILING! Hospitals are run like prisons, in fact, because mental health facilities do not know what they are doing, they are actually making CRIMINALS!

Yes, there are some people who need medication, who are beyond depression or going through a crisis, they are mentally messed up, and may need meds....but for the average person, they do not need meds (that is all the medical field is interested in getting everyone labeled and on meds...it's all about MONEY!) they need someone to walk along side of them, doing the things I mentioned.
MsTambo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 11:59:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Mental Health Care System Is Failing At Suicide Prevention ...
www.huffingtonpost.com/.../suicide-prevention_n_5...

The Huffington Post
Mental Health Care System Is Failing At Suicide Prevention, Advocates Say. Posted: 09/03/2014 7:20 pm EDT Updated: 09/06/2014 7:59 pm EDT ...
US Mental Healthcare System Failing Patients, Advocates Say
www.huffingtonpost.com/.../us-mental-healthcare-sy...

The Huffington Post
Dec 26, 2012 - On Feb. 9, 1844, the governor of Missouri ate breakfast, went to his office and locked the door. Then he shot himself with a rifle. Thomas ...
America's Failing Mental Health System: Families Struggle ...
healthland.time.com/.../americas-failing-mental-health-system-famil...

Time
Dec 20, 2012 - America's Failing Mental Health System: Families Struggle to Find Quality Care. Parents of severely mentally ill children face a disjointed and ...
How I Helped Create A Flawed Mental Health System That's ...
content.healthaffairs.org/content/31/9/2138.full
by P Gionfriddo - R06;2012 - R06;Cited by 2 - R06;Related articles

How I Helped Create A Flawed Mental Health System That's Failed ... "You're going to be on the Health Subcommittee," the committee chairs informed me.
In the news

Family: Mental health system failed woman accused of abandoning her baby
ActionNewsJax.comR06; - 2 days ago
The mother of the baby who was abandoned in a stranger's vehicle on Saturday night has been arrested, police said. Jacksonville police ...

Mental health services failed killer, says ex
The Nelson MailR06; - 2 days ago
More news for mental health is failing
fifty years of failing america's mentally ill - Treatment ...
www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org/.../2245-fifty-years-of-failing-americ...

Dr. E. Fuller Torrey on how the Community Mental Health Act undermined access to treatment for the mentally ill.
Our mental health care system is a joke -- even mass ...
www.foxnews.com/.../our-mental-health-care-system-i...

Fox News Channel
May 27, 2014 - ... six innocent men and women. His horrific crime could have been prevented if our mental health care system was functioning, even marginally.
Government Has Failed the Mentally Ill - The Daily Beast
www.thedailybeast.com/.../government-has-failed-the-me...

The Daily Beast
Sep 1, 2014 - The real shame is that mental illness isn't a static state. Healthy people facing impossible circumstances can reach a point at which they need ...
Mental health system needs overhaul: Your Say - USA Today
www.usatoday.com/story/.../05/.../mental-health.../9255855/

USA Today
May 18, 2014 - The health system is failing to treat more than half a million people with serious mental illness, according to a USA TODAY report.
Lawmakers failing US veterans on mental health help ...
www.newsobserver.com/.../lawmakers-failing-us-v...

The News & Observer
Lawmakers failing US veterans on mental health help. By Patrick M. Nevins. October 29, 2014. 2014-10-29T14:45:46Z. By Patrick M. Nevins. Facebook. Twitter.
MsTambo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 12:14:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I WROTE THIS LAST YEAR....Kind Of Goes Along With It.

THE HIGHS OF DEPRESSION:
One would be surprised that such a taboo topic would actually have benefits, who knew?

I can only speak for myself, so what I am about to say is based on my own experiences, temperament and the fact I do not suffer from "clinical depression" as much as "situational". The sad thing is the SOLUTION is there, but because of our changing times, most "well meaning" establishments that were formed in order to HELP others, are no longer able to. Why? Because their foundation, motives and the fact that MONEY ends up being the bottom line. THE CHURCH (the body of Christ) has chosen to follow an INSTITUTION that was meant to be a "HOSPITAL" and now runs it like a BUSINESS! And because many a church"s "FOUNDATION" is off, (Rev 2:3) there is no place for those like me (AND THERE ARE MANY I KNOW PERSONALLY) whose real answer is spiritual, not a pill. We see that THE HEART of the message and the real answers are missing, so where is one like us to go?

Sadly, we go where the enemy wants us to go, either physically, mentally and even emotionally. Thing is I have to remind myself, that GOD KNEW all about my life before I was even born"Psalms, 139:16, "Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Your book were all written The days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them."".As a believer this is a promise and a foundation I keep going back to in my mind. So, one of the benefits of depression is a reliance on God and His word, searching for A BETTER PERSPECTIVE. And that brings me to another benefit,

SOUL SEARCHING: God has given everyone, even animals, a blend of TEMPERAMENTS, 2 of which are INTROVERT by nature the other 2 EXTROVERT. I am a combination of both introvert/extrovert. Evenly MELANCHOLY (word speaks for itself, yet these are the THINKERS and PERFECTIONISTS) and CHOLERIC (the DOERS and LEADERS) with a touch of SANGUINE, (FUN and PEOPLE ORIENTED) so as not to be a bitch, lol. The subject of depression of any kind is so taboo, because no one wants to admit they are not in control of any area of their life. But, like any problem, we must admit there is one, and then try and find a way to OVERCOME IT. That is where my EXTROVERT side takes over, thank God, or who knows, I would probably be classified as "CLINICAL?" if it were not for my Choleric/Sang side (the 2 extroverts)".I have accepted, that this is WHO I AM, and to take the "benefits" for what they are, yet do my best to not have them turn on me. What I mean is, there is something to be said, about LOOKING INWARD and marveling at the complexity of what God has made and why? We can see the individuality in each one of us, yet in so many ways we are the same. Do we often stop and ponder the "BIG PICTURE" of our life? Some have smaller canvases, and some have huge ones to paint their dreams on. The problem arises when we start comparing our canvases with others, instead of God"s individual relationship with us. That is why it is so important to have those of "like mind" there to SUPPORT you and help keep your focus back on track, straight and narrow towards your path/calling/goal. It is important to have ACCOUNTABILITY.

Because, I have lacked a "sound/healthy" church experience since leaving 2 good ones due to moving, I have to keep in mind that God is in CONTROL when I am not. I almost quoted 1 Cor 10:13, then realized that is one of those often MISQUOTED scriptures that does not mean what people think it means"(key word, TEMPTATION"Not SUFFER, difference!) "13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.""Anyway, for some reason even as a child my "longing for heaven" and seeing a "LOVING and JUST" God, hasn"t changed even though I have grown up.

Depression makes me long for ETERNITY; this world is not my home Heb 13:14-21. It is what caused me to get saved in the first place, I was hitchhiking, upstate NY, on my day off from Staatsburg exercising race horses and there was no bus system and I needed to get " hour away to see a friend in Woodstock and her 2 yr son I use to take care of. I made Jesus Lord by the time I got there. When the man (Ed/Italian"from NY, got saved in Cal, and me from Cal got saved in NY, cool) gave me a ride I had told him I WAS DEPRESSED, and God took it from there, hmmm, that just came to my mind, God is good like that. This longing for eternity where there is no more sorrow, and no more pain, and no more tears, and to see a God who has only shown us a "GLIMPSE" of WHO HE IS, can at times be an oxymoron. On one hand this longing for eternity creates a force of wanting to expedite the process, and make all the chaos stop, yet on the other hand, I know better and know He has a "CALLING" for me. And the fact that He continues to sustain me in the mix of it all, is where I see He gets the glory, because if I had my way, id been gone a long time ago!

This analytical process that I go through while in depression, seriously helps me separate the TRUTHS from the LIES, and be able to practice the "5 FACTORS" I often talk about"I need to practice what I preach. 1) MY SIN, where do I fit in this "situation"and take accountability"2) OTHERS SIN, if I did nothing wrong, then I don"t take upon myself others BS, set boundaries and give it logically back to them".3) SATAN, acknowledge the evil forces involved and counter them with RIGHTEOUS ones".4) WE LIVE IN A FALLEN WORLD, "Stuff Happens" "and if applied and understood one can emerge out of "STINKING THINKING!"".I have also found that"

I AM MORE OTHERS CENTERED: I cannot help but notice while feeling sorry for myself, after experiencing a loss of some kind, that there is always someone worse off than I. This reflection and revelation causes me to "reach out" to those less fortunate. Probably because I UNDERSTAND and am able to show EMPATHY and COMPASSION, that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise....this has been a huge one in my life.

MY MUSIC AND WRITINGS ARE EXPRESSED AND OFTEN IMPROVED AFTER A SERIOUS BOUT OF DEPRESSION: But, I do come back STRONGER. "What goes in must come out" "PASSION".If it wasn"t for my depression as a child growing up, Abandoned, Abused, Neglected, Rejected, Betrayed, Isolated, Unprotected, etc. how else would I understand others pain, where is MY PAIN to go that isn"t destructive? I had to constantly separate the truths from the lies. I had to go WITHIN and focus on my POSITIVE ATTRIBUTES and work on them, as well as go deep within and acknowledge the NEGATIVE ones as well and also work on them. It"s all about balance. Not only do I draw strength from God"s promises, but the many gifts and talents He has given me and use them to the best that I can, no matter what any "NAY SAYER" - "HATER" and "SELF SERVER" says. They can"t bring me down even though they try, because I KNOW WHO, and WHOSE I AM!

Amen
Harikrish
Posts: 11,011
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 4:44:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/31/2014 11:06:23 AM, MsTambo wrote:
I'm amazed how many "smart alex" remarks are made on this board with no real feedback or debate.

I know what works, and the book I am working on right now..."SEPARATING THE TRUTHS FROM THE LIES WITH THESE 5 FACTORS....How To Live A Happy Life"...will prove that I am right.

I've had many in the field of counseling, including pastors say, I am on to something when it comes to the FACTS of the book, all bible based of course.

But, I can see, if one discounts God's word why they would have a problem with any of my writings. That's ok, in the end God wins!

I don't know if separating the truth from the lies necessarily leads to happiness. All the bible says is the truth shall set you free.
You might also like this.

Kathleen Taylor, Neuroscientist, Says Religious Fundamentalism Could Be Treated As A Mental Illness

Quote:
An Oxford University researcher and author specializing in neuroscience has suggested that one day religious fundamentalism may be treated as a curable mental illness.

Kathleen Taylor, who describes herself as a "science writer affiliated to the Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics," made the suggestion during a presentation on brain research at the Hay Literary Festival in Wales on Wednesday.

In response to a question about the future of neuroscience, Taylor said that "One of the surprises may be to see people with certain beliefs as people who can be treated," The Times of London notes.

"Someone who has for example become radicalised to a cult ideology -- we might stop seeing that as a personal choice that they have chosen as a result of pure free will and may start treating it as some kind of mental disturbance," Taylor said. "In many ways it could be a very positive thing because there are no doubt beliefs in our society that do a heck of a lot of damage."
Harikrish
Posts: 11,011
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 4:57:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The beginnings of delusion.

But why did Jesus believe his Father was God?

Joseph told Jesus he was not his real father and it is quite unlikely anyone stepped forward and claimed to be Jesus's real father because adultery was punishable by death. So what was a disturbed young Jesus to do? He searched the scriptures for answers. There is evidence of his early obsession with scriptures. At the age of 12 he was already well versed in the Bible and called the temple his Father's house. And henceforth he called God his Father even before his parents.

Luke 2:46 After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions.
47 Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers.
48 When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you."
49 "Why were you searching for me?" he asked. "Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?"

The patterns of delusions.
How badly was Jesus scarred by learning Joseph was not his real father. There is evidence he took it all very badly and made it his mission to destroy the traditional family.

Matthew 10:35 For I have come to turn " 'a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law--
36 a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.'
37 "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me;

That is not to say all Christians are searching for their real fathers as Jesus was forced to do and turning to the scriptures. Some might be turning to the scriptures because their mothers are less than honest about their own condition before conception. Were they deceived by the devil instead of God, unbenounced to their fathers.