Total Posts:52|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Dragons exist.

Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 9:39:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Dragons.

1. Define the terms.
a. All dragon descriptions share some common traits.
b. varied in different shape sizes, capabilities
c. This common trait is large and reptilian

2. Are dragons logically possible.
a. Yes. nothing about them is a contradiction

3. Are dragons detectable.
a. Any extant dragons would be observable with human eyesight
b. Detectable by human basic senses

4. Is there evidence for Dragons
a. Every culture in the world has tales of Dragon like creatures.
b. In the time of human history there have been large monitor lizards, Megalania
c. Outside of human history, dinosaurs

5. Weigh the evidence
a. Cultures separated by distance and time, suggesting Dragons are the oldest mythical creatures invented or common creature observed by people
b. Dinosaur bones found by untrained people can be mistaken for mythical looking animals.
c. not all cultures with large reptile like dragons are in areas conducive to finding dinosaur bones.

6. Conclusion
a. Dragons are dinosaurs.

Discuss
POPOO5560
Posts: 2,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 9:48:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
http://www.gotquestions.org...

they claim humans lived with dinosaurs which dragons were among them (if you define dragons to be some kind of dinosaurs..) 6000 years ago...
Never fart near dog
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 9:55:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What about invisible dragons ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 10:24:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
How do you explain fire breathing dragons?
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,207
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 10:33:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 9:39:56 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
Dragons.

1. Define the terms.
a. All dragon descriptions share some common traits.
b. varied in different shape sizes, capabilities
c. This common trait is large and reptilian

2. Are dragons logically possible.
a. Yes. nothing about them is a contradiction

3. Are dragons detectable.
a. Any extant dragons would be observable with human eyesight
b. Detectable by human basic senses

4. Is there evidence for Dragons
a. Every culture in the world has tales of Dragon like creatures.
b. In the time of human history there have been large monitor lizards, Megalania
c. Outside of human history, dinosaurs

5. Weigh the evidence
a. Cultures separated by distance and time, suggesting Dragons are the oldest mythical creatures invented or common creature observed by people
b. Dinosaur bones found by untrained people can be mistaken for mythical looking animals.
c. not all cultures with large reptile like dragons are in areas conducive to finding dinosaur bones.

6. Conclusion
a. Dragons are dinosaurs.

Discuss

Its really easy to dupe people whom don't know better.
http://www.boneclones.com...

Had you never seen a shark before, it would be really easy for me to convince you that these were dragons jaws.

Or that one of those teeth was a dragons tooth.

http://www.featurepics.com...

Take off the tusks and you have a Cyclops.

Heck, keep the tusks, just make them shorter, and you still have a Cyclops.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com...

Were I lucky enough to find something like that, 'dragon' is not far fetched, especially if things like this exist.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk...

The novelty of such a thing travels, and the fact that something reptilian in variety of varying size in various parts of the world doesn't specifically mean dragons exist, or that dragons are dinosaurs.

The same such evidence also exists for the wendigo, yeti, trolls, the abominable snow man, and big foot.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 10:54:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 10:24:18 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
How do you explain fire breathing dragons?

Dragons produce methane or hydrogen, both that are easily produced by biological processes. They use these lighter than air gases to fill internal bladders allowing them to fly. When adjusting altitude the dragon emits this gas. The gases are highly flammable and just as dangerous to the dragon. So the dragon ignites this gas by spitting two streams of venom from their front fangs. When the venoms combine they ignite the released gas.

Because of this dragon bones are more akin to bird bones, light and brittle. To compensate for this lack of protection the dragon produces ornate heads that have the hardest bones in their body.

It's best to avoid the head and strike at the body especially around the ribs where the bladders are. Considering the way the flammable gases are made is from acids reacting with rib bone.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 10:57:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 10:33:57 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 12/29/2014 9:39:56 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
Dragons.

1. Define the terms.
a. All dragon descriptions share some common traits.
b. varied in different shape sizes, capabilities
c. This common trait is large and reptilian

2. Are dragons logically possible.
a. Yes. nothing about them is a contradiction

3. Are dragons detectable.
a. Any extant dragons would be observable with human eyesight
b. Detectable by human basic senses

4. Is there evidence for Dragons
a. Every culture in the world has tales of Dragon like creatures.
b. In the time of human history there have been large monitor lizards, Megalania
c. Outside of human history, dinosaurs

5. Weigh the evidence
a. Cultures separated by distance and time, suggesting Dragons are the oldest mythical creatures invented or common creature observed by people
b. Dinosaur bones found by untrained people can be mistaken for mythical looking animals.
c. not all cultures with large reptile like dragons are in areas conducive to finding dinosaur bones.

6. Conclusion
a. Dragons are dinosaurs.

Discuss

Its really easy to dupe people whom don't know better.
http://www.boneclones.com...

Had you never seen a shark before, it would be really easy for me to convince you that these were dragons jaws.

Or that one of those teeth was a dragons tooth.

http://www.featurepics.com...

Take off the tusks and you have a Cyclops.

Heck, keep the tusks, just make them shorter, and you still have a Cyclops.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com...

Were I lucky enough to find something like that, 'dragon' is not far fetched, especially if things like this exist.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk...

The novelty of such a thing travels, and the fact that something reptilian in variety of varying size in various parts of the world doesn't specifically mean dragons exist, or that dragons are dinosaurs.

The same such evidence also exists for the wendigo, yeti, trolls, the abominable snow man, and big foot.

Big foot is an interesting one. Because every continent has had a great ape or still has great apes.

Why would a north American Gorilla be so hard to believe?

So are you suggesting dragons exist, that the evidence for dragons is present. Or are you suggesting the evidence for dragons is real, but the evidence is not really pointing to dragons?
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 10:58:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 9:55:51 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
What about invisible dragons ?

It's my default position that anything that is invisible exists. Same thing like reason, numbers, black holes, time, gravity, air, etc..
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:01:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Many species of lizards are called "dragons". But that doesn't lend credence to any of the dragons described in the Bible.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:11:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 9:39:56 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
Dragons.

1. Define the terms.
a. All dragon descriptions share some common traits.
b. varied in different shape sizes, capabilities
c. This common trait is large and reptilian

2. Are dragons logically possible.
a. Yes. nothing about them is a contradiction

3. Are dragons detectable.
a. Any extant dragons would be observable with human eyesight
b. Detectable by human basic senses

4. Is there evidence for Dragons
a. Every culture in the world has tales of Dragon like creatures.
b. In the time of human history there have been large monitor lizards, Megalania
c. Outside of human history, dinosaurs

5. Weigh the evidence
a. Cultures separated by distance and time, suggesting Dragons are the oldest mythical creatures invented or common creature observed by people
b. Dinosaur bones found by untrained people can be mistaken for mythical looking animals.
c. not all cultures with large reptile like dragons are in areas conducive to finding dinosaur bones.

6. Conclusion
a. Dragons are dinosaurs.

Discuss

How do you define a dragon?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:14:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 11:11:00 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 12/29/2014 9:39:56 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
Dragons.

1. Define the terms.
a. All dragon descriptions share some common traits.
b. varied in different shape sizes, capabilities
c. This common trait is large and reptilian

2. Are dragons logically possible.
a. Yes. nothing about them is a contradiction

3. Are dragons detectable.
a. Any extant dragons would be observable with human eyesight
b. Detectable by human basic senses

4. Is there evidence for Dragons
a. Every culture in the world has tales of Dragon like creatures.
b. In the time of human history there have been large monitor lizards, Megalania
c. Outside of human history, dinosaurs

5. Weigh the evidence
a. Cultures separated by distance and time, suggesting Dragons are the oldest mythical creatures invented or common creature observed by people
b. Dinosaur bones found by untrained people can be mistaken for mythical looking animals.
c. not all cultures with large reptile like dragons are in areas conducive to finding dinosaur bones.

6. Conclusion
a. Dragons are dinosaurs.

Discuss

How do you define a dragon?

1. c.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:16:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 10:54:58 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/29/2014 10:24:18 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
How do you explain fire breathing dragons?

Dragons produce methane or hydrogen, both that are easily produced by biological processes. They use these lighter than air gases to fill internal bladders allowing them to fly. When adjusting altitude the dragon emits this gas. The gases are highly flammable and just as dangerous to the dragon. So the dragon ignites this gas by spitting two streams of venom from their front fangs. When the venoms combine they ignite the released gas.

Because of this dragon bones are more akin to bird bones, light and brittle. To compensate for this lack of protection the dragon produces ornate heads that have the hardest bones in their body.

It's best to avoid the head and strike at the body especially around the ribs where the bladders are. Considering the way the flammable gases are made is from acids reacting with rib bone.

This is all really cool, but why don't fire breathing creatures still exist? Surely there would be some biological evidence of it in living creatures. You know, like birds that spit acid or fire.

I can agree with maybe calling dinosaurs, dragons. Which by the way I have a thought that perhaps the ancient myths came from the people finding dinosaur fossils and seeing them as giant lizards who could fly and breath fire. People have great imaginations you know. I think there is a logical explanation that doesn't involve real dragons. Even though that would be cool as crap.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,207
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:19:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 10:57:34 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/29/2014 10:33:57 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 12/29/2014 9:39:56 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
Dragons.

1. Define the terms.
a. All dragon descriptions share some common traits.
b. varied in different shape sizes, capabilities
c. This common trait is large and reptilian

2. Are dragons logically possible.
a. Yes. nothing about them is a contradiction

3. Are dragons detectable.
a. Any extant dragons would be observable with human eyesight
b. Detectable by human basic senses

4. Is there evidence for Dragons
a. Every culture in the world has tales of Dragon like creatures.
b. In the time of human history there have been large monitor lizards, Megalania
c. Outside of human history, dinosaurs

5. Weigh the evidence
a. Cultures separated by distance and time, suggesting Dragons are the oldest mythical creatures invented or common creature observed by people
b. Dinosaur bones found by untrained people can be mistaken for mythical looking animals.
c. not all cultures with large reptile like dragons are in areas conducive to finding dinosaur bones.

6. Conclusion
a. Dragons are dinosaurs.

Discuss

Its really easy to dupe people whom don't know better.
http://www.boneclones.com...

Had you never seen a shark before, it would be really easy for me to convince you that these were dragons jaws.

Or that one of those teeth was a dragons tooth.

http://www.featurepics.com...

Take off the tusks and you have a Cyclops.

Heck, keep the tusks, just make them shorter, and you still have a Cyclops.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com...

Were I lucky enough to find something like that, 'dragon' is not far fetched, especially if things like this exist.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk...

The novelty of such a thing travels, and the fact that something reptilian in variety of varying size in various parts of the world doesn't specifically mean dragons exist, or that dragons are dinosaurs.

The same such evidence also exists for the wendigo, yeti, trolls, the abominable snow man, and big foot.

Big foot is an interesting one. Because every continent has had a great ape or still has great apes.

Why would a north American Gorilla be so hard to believe?

So are you suggesting dragons exist, that the evidence for dragons is present. Or are you suggesting the evidence for dragons is real, but the evidence is not really pointing to dragons?

The evidence is real, and can be made to point in various directions, imagination dependent. Its not a difficult prospect to present some one with the afore mentioned fossils or trinkets, and in some cases, partial skeletons, and fill in the blanks with something fantastic, especially if something similar is in the observer's world already. An upright crocodile? Larger komodo dragons? Pythons with legs? They don't sound incredible if your view of things only extends as far as one can walk in a few days, and portions of which are already encountered.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:21:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 10:24:18 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
How do you explain fire breathing dragons?

I think the standard description is that the dragons have a gland that produces a gas that ignites when it comes into contact with one or more of the gaseous elements in the air.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Gentorev
Posts: 2,895
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:23:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If one of our ancient ancestors came across the skeletal remains of a Sulfur Bottom Whale, they may well have believed it was the remains of a sea dragon.

In 1933 a sulfur bottom whale was caught off the coast of cape cod it was 100 ft long and had a mouth over 10 foot wide. A man who was unfortunate enough to be swallowed could take refuge in any one of the whales stomach chambers, or the large cranial cavities (extensions of the nasal sinus) which measure 7 feet high, 7ft wide and 14 ft long. More than big enough for a man to hide safely inside.

Perhaps it was such a fish that had swallowed Jonah?
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:25:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 11:14:59 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/29/2014 11:11:00 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 12/29/2014 9:39:56 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
Dragons.

1. Define the terms.
a. All dragon descriptions share some common traits.
b. varied in different shape sizes, capabilities
c. This common trait is large and reptilian

2. Are dragons logically possible.
a. Yes. nothing about them is a contradiction

3. Are dragons detectable.
a. Any extant dragons would be observable with human eyesight
b. Detectable by human basic senses

4. Is there evidence for Dragons
a. Every culture in the world has tales of Dragon like creatures.
b. In the time of human history there have been large monitor lizards, Megalania
c. Outside of human history, dinosaurs

5. Weigh the evidence
a. Cultures separated by distance and time, suggesting Dragons are the oldest mythical creatures invented or common creature observed by people
b. Dinosaur bones found by untrained people can be mistaken for mythical looking animals.
c. not all cultures with large reptile like dragons are in areas conducive to finding dinosaur bones.

6. Conclusion
a. Dragons are dinosaurs.

Since you say dinosaurs are dragons, where do birds fall into the picture? After all, they descended from meat eating dinosaurs[1][2].


Discuss

How do you define a dragon?

1. c.

Okay.

I could see a large reptilian organism existing. The Komodo dragon is an example.

Now, if you are suggesting a winged reptile that spits fire exists[3], your work has been cut out for you.

[1]https://www.youtube.com...
[2]http://www.academia.edu...
[3]http://fc02.deviantart.net...

Are you suggesting a winged reptile that spits fire exists?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:32:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 11:16:29 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 12/29/2014 10:54:58 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/29/2014 10:24:18 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
How do you explain fire breathing dragons?

Dragons produce methane or hydrogen, both that are easily produced by biological processes. They use these lighter than air gases to fill internal bladders allowing them to fly. When adjusting altitude the dragon emits this gas. The gases are highly flammable and just as dangerous to the dragon. So the dragon ignites this gas by spitting two streams of venom from their front fangs. When the venoms combine they ignite the released gas.

Because of this dragon bones are more akin to bird bones, light and brittle. To compensate for this lack of protection the dragon produces ornate heads that have the hardest bones in their body.

It's best to avoid the head and strike at the body especially around the ribs where the bladders are. Considering the way the flammable gases are made is from acids reacting with rib bone.

This is all really cool, but why don't fire breathing creatures still exist? Surely there would be some biological evidence of it in living creatures. You know, like birds that spit acid or fire.

I can agree with maybe calling dinosaurs, dragons. Which by the way I have a thought that perhaps the ancient myths came from the people finding dinosaur fossils and seeing them as giant lizards who could fly and breath fire. People have great imaginations you know. I think there is a logical explanation that doesn't involve real dragons. Even though that would be cool as crap.

Bones can't tell the whole story. Fire breathing and venom are soft tissue produced, making it extremely unlikely to discern from fossil remains. Poison has evolve independently in over hundreds of creatures, but yet no scientist claims any dinosaurs were venomous. This alone seems unlikely to me.

Fire production and usage is energy intensive and dangerous for the organism. there used to be a bird that could fire breath, the phoenix. But they had a bad habit of catching their nests on fire, killing the bird (kind of like spontaneous combustion) and leaving the shelled egg (hence the myths). Simply put fire breathing dragons were just out done by competing evolutionary models.

now some dragons returned to the oceans, growing armor scales. The added weight was offset by the buoyancy from water. The eventually lost both the fire breathing and flight aspects but still kept a bladder for depth control. When such dragons reemerged from the water we have what Job described as a leviathan. The leviathan in Job was said to sneeze and emit light.

So extant animals that breathe fire are not found, because the mechanisms are evolutionarily disadvantageous. But maybe, maybe there were some ancient animals that did.

((P.S. I hope people know I am joking, just raising the discussion to point out that even dragons have evidence for their existence, the interpretation of that evidence as it relates to a real creature is where the discussion begins.))

Certainly I'm making a case for the possibility of such a more traditionally mythical variant of dragons.
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:36:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 9:39:56 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
Dragons.

1. Define the terms.
a. All dragon descriptions share some common traits.
b. varied in different shape sizes, capabilities
c. This common trait is large and reptilian

2. Are dragons logically possible.
a. Yes. nothing about them is a contradiction

3. Are dragons detectable.
a. Any extant dragons would be observable with human eyesight
b. Detectable by human basic senses

4. Is there evidence for Dragons
a. Every culture in the world has tales of Dragon like creatures.

A lot of cultures also have voodoo magic, sorcery, witch craft, and whatnot. Magic does not exist, only illusions exist. There is no scientific evidence to back up magic and witch craft. A lot of cultures also believe that witches[1] are real. No one has evil magic powers. They do not exist. The same can be applied to prayer and how it is incorporated into many religions. There is no scientific evidence that prayer works.

Just because something is found in a lot of cultures, it does not make it real.

b. In the time of human history there have been large monitor lizards, Megalania
c. Outside of human history, dinosaurs

5. Weigh the evidence
a. Cultures separated by distance and time, suggesting Dragons are the oldest mythical creatures invented or common creature observed by people
b. Dinosaur bones found by untrained people can be mistaken for mythical looking animals.
c. not all cultures with large reptile like dragons are in areas conducive to finding dinosaur bones.

6. Conclusion
a. Dragons are dinosaurs.

Discuss

[1]https://www.google.com...
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:37:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 9:39:56 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
Dragons.

1. Define the terms.
a. All dragon descriptions share some common traits.
b. varied in different shape sizes, capabilities
c. This common trait is large and reptilian

2. Are dragons logically possible.
a. Yes. nothing about them is a contradiction

3. Are dragons detectable.
a. Any extant dragons would be observable with human eyesight
b. Detectable by human basic senses

4. Is there evidence for Dragons
a. Every culture in the world has tales of Dragon like creatures.
b. In the time of human history there have been large monitor lizards, Megalania
c. Outside of human history, dinosaurs

5. Weigh the evidence
a. Cultures separated by distance and time, suggesting Dragons are the oldest mythical creatures invented or common creature observed by people
b. Dinosaur bones found by untrained people can be mistaken for mythical looking animals.
c. not all cultures with large reptile like dragons are in areas conducive to finding dinosaur bones.

6. Conclusion
a. Dragons are dinosaurs.

Discuss

Any evidence to suggest dinosaurs/dragons existed in the same time frame as humans? No? Then I would suggest Dragons are the product of over active imaginations combined with dinosaur fossils.

Dragons debunked. ;-)
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:41:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 11:37:12 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 12/29/2014 9:39:56 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
Dragons.

1. Define the terms.
a. All dragon descriptions share some common traits.
b. varied in different shape sizes, capabilities
c. This common trait is large and reptilian

2. Are dragons logically possible.
a. Yes. nothing about them is a contradiction

3. Are dragons detectable.
a. Any extant dragons would be observable with human eyesight
b. Detectable by human basic senses

4. Is there evidence for Dragons
a. Every culture in the world has tales of Dragon like creatures.
b. In the time of human history there have been large monitor lizards, Megalania
c. Outside of human history, dinosaurs

5. Weigh the evidence
a. Cultures separated by distance and time, suggesting Dragons are the oldest mythical creatures invented or common creature observed by people
b. Dinosaur bones found by untrained people can be mistaken for mythical looking animals.
c. not all cultures with large reptile like dragons are in areas conducive to finding dinosaur bones.

6. Conclusion
a. Dragons are dinosaurs.

Discuss

Any evidence to suggest dinosaurs/dragons existed in the same time frame as humans? No? Then I would suggest Dragons are the product of over active imaginations combined with dinosaur fossils.

Dragons debunked. ;-)

You're ruining the fun. -.-
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:43:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 11:36:14 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 12/29/2014 9:39:56 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
Dragons.

1. Define the terms.
a. All dragon descriptions share some common traits.
b. varied in different shape sizes, capabilities
c. This common trait is large and reptilian

2. Are dragons logically possible.
a. Yes. nothing about them is a contradiction

3. Are dragons detectable.
a. Any extant dragons would be observable with human eyesight
b. Detectable by human basic senses

4. Is there evidence for Dragons
a. Every culture in the world has tales of Dragon like creatures.

A lot of cultures also have voodoo magic, sorcery, witch craft, and whatnot. Magic does not exist, only illusions exist. There is no scientific evidence to back up magic and witch craft. A lot of cultures also believe that witches[1] are real. No one has evil magic powers. They do not exist. The same can be applied to prayer and how it is incorporated into many religions. There is no scientific evidence that prayer works.

1. Scientific evidence is not the only evidence for things (of topic so wont discuss anymore)
2. Scientific method can not speak for historical events (off topic so wont discuss anymore)
3. Anything sufficiently advanced in technology is mistaken for magic (Off topic)
4. We are talking about dragons. Which have recorded variants in every culture. Every culture even those separated by vast amounts of time and distance. Means somethings common to all mankind is a driving factor in this .. lack of a better word "event"


Just because something is found in a lot of cultures, it does not make it real.

The observation of being found in every culture points to something being real for all of human kind.

b. In the time of human history there have been large monitor lizards, Megalania
c. Outside of human history, dinosaurs

5. Weigh the evidence
a. Cultures separated by distance and time, suggesting Dragons are the oldest mythical creatures invented or common creature observed by people
b. Dinosaur bones found by untrained people can be mistaken for mythical looking animals.
c. not all cultures with large reptile like dragons are in areas conducive to finding dinosaur bones.

6. Conclusion
a. Dragons are dinosaurs.

Discuss

[1]https://www.google.com...

Thanks for the definition I thought we were talking about the Fish... in which case I was goin to pounce on you and prove such a witch is real.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:44:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 11:41:10 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 12/29/2014 11:37:12 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 12/29/2014 9:39:56 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
Dragons.

1. Define the terms.
a. All dragon descriptions share some common traits.
b. varied in different shape sizes, capabilities
c. This common trait is large and reptilian

2. Are dragons logically possible.
a. Yes. nothing about them is a contradiction

3. Are dragons detectable.
a. Any extant dragons would be observable with human eyesight
b. Detectable by human basic senses

4. Is there evidence for Dragons
a. Every culture in the world has tales of Dragon like creatures.
b. In the time of human history there have been large monitor lizards, Megalania
c. Outside of human history, dinosaurs

5. Weigh the evidence
a. Cultures separated by distance and time, suggesting Dragons are the oldest mythical creatures invented or common creature observed by people
b. Dinosaur bones found by untrained people can be mistaken for mythical looking animals.
c. not all cultures with large reptile like dragons are in areas conducive to finding dinosaur bones.

6. Conclusion
a. Dragons are dinosaurs.

Discuss

Any evidence to suggest dinosaurs/dragons existed in the same time frame as humans? No? Then I would suggest Dragons are the product of over active imaginations combined with dinosaur fossils.

Dragons debunked. ;-)

You're ruining the fun. -.-

Oops! Forget I mentioned it, and carry on! Lol!
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:46:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 11:25:28 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 12/29/2014 11:14:59 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/29/2014 11:11:00 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 12/29/2014 9:39:56 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
Dragons.

1. Define the terms.
a. All dragon descriptions share some common traits.
b. varied in different shape sizes, capabilities
c. This common trait is large and reptilian

2. Are dragons logically possible.
a. Yes. nothing about them is a contradiction

3. Are dragons detectable.
a. Any extant dragons would be observable with human eyesight
b. Detectable by human basic senses

4. Is there evidence for Dragons
a. Every culture in the world has tales of Dragon like creatures.
b. In the time of human history there have been large monitor lizards, Megalania
c. Outside of human history, dinosaurs

5. Weigh the evidence
a. Cultures separated by distance and time, suggesting Dragons are the oldest mythical creatures invented or common creature observed by people
b. Dinosaur bones found by untrained people can be mistaken for mythical looking animals.
c. not all cultures with large reptile like dragons are in areas conducive to finding dinosaur bones.

6. Conclusion
a. Dragons are dinosaurs.

Since you say dinosaurs are dragons, where do birds fall into the picture? After all, they descended from meat eating dinosaurs[1][2].



Discuss

How do you define a dragon?

1. c.

Okay.

I could see a large reptilian organism existing. The Komodo dragon is an example.

Now, if you are suggesting a winged reptile that spits fire exists[3], your work has been cut out for you.

[1]https://www.youtube.com...
[2]http://www.academia.edu...
[3]http://fc02.deviantart.net...

Are you suggesting a winged reptile that spits fire exists?

No not originally.. But a winged reptile certainly has fossil bones to support it's existence. And as I stated in another post fire spitting is from soft tissue, something that would not be evident by the bones.

well unless of course the gas was created by acids across the rib cage in which case the rib bone might show such growth and damage. If only paleontologist were not afraid to come forward with such a finding.

My suggestion, scientist look for this kind of bone evidence in the fossil record. experimentally falsifiable.
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:47:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 11:43:00 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/29/2014 11:36:14 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 12/29/2014 9:39:56 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
Dragons.

1. Define the terms.
a. All dragon descriptions share some common traits.
b. varied in different shape sizes, capabilities
c. This common trait is large and reptilian

2. Are dragons logically possible.
a. Yes. nothing about them is a contradiction

3. Are dragons detectable.
a. Any extant dragons would be observable with human eyesight
b. Detectable by human basic senses

4. Is there evidence for Dragons
a. Every culture in the world has tales of Dragon like creatures.

A lot of cultures also have voodoo magic, sorcery, witch craft, and whatnot. Magic does not exist, only illusions exist. There is no scientific evidence to back up magic and witch craft. A lot of cultures also believe that witches[1] are real. No one has evil magic powers. They do not exist. The same can be applied to prayer and how it is incorporated into many religions. There is no scientific evidence that prayer works.

1. Scientific evidence is not the only evidence for things (of topic so wont discuss anymore)
2. Scientific method can not speak for historical events (off topic so wont discuss anymore)
3. Anything sufficiently advanced in technology is mistaken for magic (Off topic)
4. We are talking about dragons. Which have recorded variants in every culture. Every culture even those separated by vast amounts of time and distance. Means somethings common to all mankind is a driving factor in this .. lack of a better word "event"


Just because something is found in a lot of cultures, it does not make it real.

The observation of being found in every culture points to something being real for all of human kind.

So, since magic and witch craft are found throughout human history, does that mean magic is real?

b. In the time of human history there have been large monitor lizards, Megalania
c. Outside of human history, dinosaurs

5. Weigh the evidence
a. Cultures separated by distance and time, suggesting Dragons are the oldest mythical creatures invented or common creature observed by people
b. Dinosaur bones found by untrained people can be mistaken for mythical looking animals.
c. not all cultures with large reptile like dragons are in areas conducive to finding dinosaur bones.

6. Conclusion
a. Dragons are dinosaurs.

Discuss

[1]https://www.google.com...

Thanks for the definition I thought we were talking about the Fish... in which case I was goin to pounce on you and prove such a witch is real.

going*
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:48:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 9:39:56 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
Dragons.

1. Define the terms.
a. All dragon descriptions share some common traits.
b. varied in different shape sizes, capabilities
c. This common trait is large and reptilian

2. Are dragons logically possible.
a. Yes. nothing about them is a contradiction

3. Are dragons detectable.
a. Any extant dragons would be observable with human eyesight
b. Detectable by human basic senses

4. Is there evidence for Dragons
a. Every culture in the world has tales of Dragon like creatures.
b. In the time of human history there have been large monitor lizards, Megalania
c. Outside of human history, dinosaurs

5. Weigh the evidence
a. Cultures separated by distance and time, suggesting Dragons are the oldest mythical creatures invented or common creature observed by people
b. Dinosaur bones found by untrained people can be mistaken for mythical looking animals.
c. not all cultures with large reptile like dragons are in areas conducive to finding dinosaur bones.

6. Conclusion
a. Dragons are dinosaurs.

Discuss

Where in this do you conclude that dragons exist?
Nolite Timere
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:51:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 11:47:01 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 12/29/2014 11:43:00 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/29/2014 11:36:14 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 12/29/2014 9:39:56 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
Dragons.

1. Define the terms.
a. All dragon descriptions share some common traits.
b. varied in different shape sizes, capabilities
c. This common trait is large and reptilian

2. Are dragons logically possible.
a. Yes. nothing about them is a contradiction

3. Are dragons detectable.
a. Any extant dragons would be observable with human eyesight
b. Detectable by human basic senses

4. Is there evidence for Dragons
a. Every culture in the world has tales of Dragon like creatures.

A lot of cultures also have voodoo magic, sorcery, witch craft, and whatnot. Magic does not exist, only illusions exist. There is no scientific evidence to back up magic and witch craft. A lot of cultures also believe that witches[1] are real. No one has evil magic powers. They do not exist. The same can be applied to prayer and how it is incorporated into many religions. There is no scientific evidence that prayer works.

1. Scientific evidence is not the only evidence for things (of topic so wont discuss anymore)
2. Scientific method can not speak for historical events (off topic so wont discuss anymore)
3. Anything sufficiently advanced in technology is mistaken for magic (Off topic)
4. We are talking about dragons. Which have recorded variants in every culture. Every culture even those separated by vast amounts of time and distance. Means somethings common to all mankind is a driving factor in this .. lack of a better word "event"


Just because something is found in a lot of cultures, it does not make it real.

The observation of being found in every culture points to something being real for all of human kind.

So, since magic and witch craft are found throughout human history, does that mean magic is real?

You would have to define magic. And as I said any sufficiently advanced technology is mistaken for magic. If a person from the first century entered you home today, how much of the stuff like a t.v. would be screamed at as magic.

No such accounts are not proof of "magic" as a supernatural mystical force, BUT such accounts are evidence that something is afoot. Maybe these witches or magis from past were learned men, of technological knowledge unknown by the commoner or lost in time. Kind of like Alchemy giving way to chemistry.

It would still be worth while to investigate such claims, and see what this so called "magic" was or is.


b. In the time of human history there have been large monitor lizards, Megalania
c. Outside of human history, dinosaurs

5. Weigh the evidence
a. Cultures separated by distance and time, suggesting Dragons are the oldest mythical creatures invented or common creature observed by people
b. Dinosaur bones found by untrained people can be mistaken for mythical looking animals.
c. not all cultures with large reptile like dragons are in areas conducive to finding dinosaur bones.

6. Conclusion
a. Dragons are dinosaurs.

Discuss

[1]https://www.google.com...

Thanks for the definition I thought we were talking about the Fish... in which case I was goin to pounce on you and prove such a witch is real.

going*
bulproof
Posts: 25,211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:52:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Excellent topic for a religion forum.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:52:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 11:48:21 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 12/29/2014 9:39:56 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
Dragons.

1. Define the terms.
a. All dragon descriptions share some common traits.
b. varied in different shape sizes, capabilities
c. This common trait is large and reptilian

2. Are dragons logically possible.
a. Yes. nothing about them is a contradiction

3. Are dragons detectable.
a. Any extant dragons would be observable with human eyesight
b. Detectable by human basic senses

4. Is there evidence for Dragons
a. Every culture in the world has tales of Dragon like creatures.
b. In the time of human history there have been large monitor lizards, Megalania
c. Outside of human history, dinosaurs

5. Weigh the evidence
a. Cultures separated by distance and time, suggesting Dragons are the oldest mythical creatures invented or common creature observed by people
b. Dinosaur bones found by untrained people can be mistaken for mythical looking animals.
c. not all cultures with large reptile like dragons are in areas conducive to finding dinosaur bones.

6. Conclusion
a. Dragons are dinosaurs.

Discuss

Where in this do you conclude that dragons exist?

6. a
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:54:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 10:54:58 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/29/2014 10:24:18 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
How do you explain fire breathing dragons?

Dragons produce methane or hydrogen, both that are easily produced by biological processes
Methane is produces in the process of digestion, primarily in the lower GI, past the duodenum which prevents a reverse flow of matter from the lower GI, back into the upper GI. That's why you fill your pants with methane an average of 14 times a day, rather than burping flatulence.

. They use these lighter than air gases to fill internal bladders allowing them to fly.
Meaning that they wouldn't be able to use their primary weapon (fire), without plummeting to the ground.

When adjusting altitude the dragon emits this gas. The gases are highly flammable and just as dangerous to the dragon. So the dragon ignites this gas by spitting two streams of venom from their front fangs. When the venoms combine they ignite the released gas.
Which means that the dragon is flying into his own stream of flame, which would quickly ignite the thin membrane wings leaving him to flap frantically and futilely on his smoldering short trip to collide with the ground.

Because of this dragon bones are more akin to bird bones, light and brittle. To compensate for this lack of protection the dragon produces ornate heads that have the hardest bones in their body.
Which would also produce extreme drag and excess weight, aside from the obvious problem of having seven heads, seven brains and only one body to control. Next time you choose to board a plane with seven pilots who are all the captain, and no mutual flight plan, don't forget me in your will.

It's best to avoid the head and strike at the body especially around the ribs where the bladders are. Considering the way the flammable gases are made is from acids reacting with rib bone.
Of course the really funny part is that dragons are legendary for flying at high altitudes where the air is thinner and the oxygen is sparse. But because the dragon needs fully inflated gas bladders to do this, and those are in the rib-cage, it means he can't fully inflate his lungs so he'll quickly lose consciousness and again, come plummeting to Earth.

You have successfully designed a biological flying creature that can't fly.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2014 11:55:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/29/2014 11:51:50 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/29/2014 11:47:01 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 12/29/2014 11:43:00 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/29/2014 11:36:14 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 12/29/2014 9:39:56 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
Dragons.

1. Define the terms.
a. All dragon descriptions share some common traits.
b. varied in different shape sizes, capabilities
c. This common trait is large and reptilian

2. Are dragons logically possible.
a. Yes. nothing about them is a contradiction

3. Are dragons detectable.
a. Any extant dragons would be observable with human eyesight
b. Detectable by human basic senses

4. Is there evidence for Dragons
a. Every culture in the world has tales of Dragon like creatures.

A lot of cultures also have voodoo magic, sorcery, witch craft, and whatnot. Magic does not exist, only illusions exist. There is no scientific evidence to back up magic and witch craft. A lot of cultures also believe that witches[1] are real. No one has evil magic powers. They do not exist. The same can be applied to prayer and how it is incorporated into many religions. There is no scientific evidence that prayer works.

1. Scientific evidence is not the only evidence for things (of topic so wont discuss anymore)
2. Scientific method can not speak for historical events (off topic so wont discuss anymore)
3. Anything sufficiently advanced in technology is mistaken for magic (Off topic)
4. We are talking about dragons. Which have recorded variants in every culture. Every culture even those separated by vast amounts of time and distance. Means somethings common to all mankind is a driving factor in this .. lack of a better word "event"


Just because something is found in a lot of cultures, it does not make it real.

The observation of being found in every culture points to something being real for all of human kind.

So, since magic and witch craft are found throughout human history, does that mean magic is real?

You would have to define magic. And as I said any sufficiently advanced technology is mistaken for magic. If a person from the first century entered you home today, how much of the stuff like a t.v. would be screamed at as magic.

The power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces would constitute magic.

" the use of means (as charms or spells) believed to have supernatural power over natural forces"[1]

No such accounts are not proof of "magic" as a supernatural mystical force, BUT such accounts are evidence that something is afoot. Maybe these witches or magis from past were learned men, of technological knowledge unknown by the commoner or lost in time. Kind of like Alchemy giving way to chemistry.

It would still be worth while to investigate such claims, and see what this so called "magic" was or is.


b. In the time of human history there have been large monitor lizards, Megalania
c. Outside of human history, dinosaurs

5. Weigh the evidence
a. Cultures separated by distance and time, suggesting Dragons are the oldest mythical creatures invented or common creature observed by people
b. Dinosaur bones found by untrained people can be mistaken for mythical looking animals.
c. not all cultures with large reptile like dragons are in areas conducive to finding dinosaur bones.

6. Conclusion
a. Dragons are dinosaurs.

Discuss

[1]https://www.google.com...

Thanks for the definition I thought we were talking about the Fish... in which case I was goin to pounce on you and prove such a witch is real.

going*

[1]http://www.merriam-webster.com...
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."