Jump to topic:

Religion is Untouchable

darthebearnc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 9:37:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
In today's society - especially in the United States - it seems that politicians, activists, and even the common folk have taken many extra steps just to defend all religion. There are a multitude of laws in effect that allow job discrimination on religious grounds, people are allowed so say whatever the f_ck they want if it's for religious reasons, and most everybody takes extra steps to not trod on the toes of religion. Essentially, you have an excuse to do a heck of a lot more than you would usually be able to do if it's for religious reasons. Now we can all agree that not more than one religion is true (if any). So why are most people so scared to criticize religion? It seems like society has a special little box for religious people to go so they can hide from normal societal rules (e.g. no discrimination, no hate speech, etc.). Why is everybody told not to talk about religion, not to criticize religion, or anything else? If no more than one religion is true, why don't we take a moment and figure out which one it is? This is so stupid - anybody can get away with nearly anything if they say it's because of their religion... we should put common sense ahead of religion and stop treating religious people with kid gloves in order to make sure they're not 'offended' or 'insulted'. I don't give a f_ck if somebody's insulted because common sense knows more than their religion, I give a f_ck what's actually true and what's actually moral.

P.S. As customary in society, I must now say (as usual) that I don't mean to offend anybody with my rant. :p
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 9:44:07 AM
At 12/31/2014 9:37:42 AM, darthebearnc wrote:
In today's society - especially in the United States - it seems that politicians, activists, and even the common folk have taken many extra steps just to defend all religion. There are a multitude of laws in effect that allow job discrimination on religious grounds, people are allowed so say whatever the f_ck they want if it's for religious reasons, and most everybody takes extra steps to not trod on the toes of religion. Essentially, you have an excuse to do a heck of a lot more than you would usually be able to do if it's for religious reasons. Now we can all agree that not more than one religion is true (if any). So why are most people so scared to criticize religion? It seems like society has a special little box for religious people to go so they can hide from normal societal rules (e.g. no discrimination, no hate speech, etc.). Why is everybody told not to talk about religion, not to criticize religion, or anything else? If no more than one religion is true, why don't we take a moment and figure out which one it is? This is so stupid - anybody can get away with nearly anything if they say it's because of their religion... we should put common sense ahead of religion and stop treating religious people with kid gloves in order to make sure they're not 'offended' or 'insulted'. I don't give a f_ck if somebody's insulted because common sense knows more than their religion, I give a f_ck what's actually true and what's actually moral.

P.S. As customary in society, I must now say (as usual) that I don't mean to offend anybody with my rant. :p

Your P.S. is immensely appropriate.
I hope I didn't insult anyone.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 10:04:00 AM
At 12/31/2014 9:37:42 AM, darthebearnc wrote:

You bring to mind a series of comments that I was part of during the last presidential election. When the question was what would you ask Mitt Romney I would as if he truly believed that all human beings originated on a planet named Kolob and if he planned on having his own planet after he died. I was excoriated and people demanded to know what right I had to know his religious beliefs. I told that it was entirely appropriate to know if the person who might run our government was rational. They were not amused. I personally don't care if I make someone uncomfortable, particularly if they are going to hold some authority over me. It is my right to know anything that will affect how they make decisions and if they aren't willing to discuss it then they show that it's something they are, at some level, doubtful about or ashamed of.