"God Is All We Need"...Really?

MsTambo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 12:26:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
GOD IS ALL WE NEED: Really?

How many times have you heard this from well meaning Christians, only to find out that their clich" or aphorism often was given without facts or true biblical understanding? Often times this is ones passive way of not having to deal with the real problem. It is their way of saying, I don"t know what to say or what to do".They LACK the ability to show empathy, or compassion and even understanding, so they flippantly throw out a life line that has a very short rope attached to it. They walk away thinking they helped the person, when in fact they did more damage, as the person seeking real guidance and understanding was left KNOWING deep down that the other persons statement isn"t really true"how can it be?

The problem with clich"s or aphorisms is that while they are intended to convey overall truths, many people take them to be gospel truth. "All we need is God" is a popular Christian clich" along with many others. There is a lot of truth to this statement. The truth is yes we need God more than anything else"but let"s look at the word ALL"obviously God is not ALL we need, or we would be home with Him. There are many things we need physically, emotionally, mentally etc".so in that sense the statement would be false. The bible is very clear that we NEED others, Genesis 2:18 says""Then the LORD God said, It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him."".Jesus commanded that we love the Lord God with all our heart soul and mind" but He also went on to say, "and the 2nd commandment is like it, LOVE others as yourself"".He also gave many, many commandments on how to go about doing that".like I said before, COMPASSION requires ACTION. Paul talks much about the BODY of Christ and how if one part of the body is hurting then the whole body feels it"Facts are one body part cannot survive ALONE without many of the others. A BODY CAN BE MISSING A LIMB, BUT A LIMB ALONE CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT THE BODY.".Jesus also said to "bear one another"s burdens"to cry when one cries, to laugh when one laughs etc" I could go on and on".point being obviously according to God"s word"HE IS NOT ALL WE NEED!

According to Paul, the bible says, God is our comfort in times of trials" 2 Cor 1:4 "God who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we may be able to comfort those experiencing any trouble with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God" ".Paul"s advice was never "all you need is God" or "just pray about it." Paul admonished us to "rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep" "Romans 12:15, and to "comfort the discouraged, help the weak" ".1 Thessalonians 5:14. While God alone is sufficient for us, He never intended for us to look only to Him. He intended for us to "bear one another"s burdens" as well. ".Galatians 6:2
Think about it, studies have shown that a human or mammal baby does not thrive, or even survive if it is ONLY fed, sheltered and cleaned. Obviously God put into them a NEED to have emotional support, to be touched and be talked to etc. I notice all the time the devastating effects a mare, or baby horse has when its mother or friend is separated from them"they go NUTS and cry for hours if not days! Are we not much more precious, seeing we were created in God"s image and not animals?

Let"s take the prison system"what is the WORSE PUNISHMENT given to an inmate?... ISOLATION!..... It is said that people who experience long periods of isolation literally begin to lose their mind. We need people, plain and simple! We are social being, some of US (ME) more than others"there is a difference between talking to God about one"s problems and concerns and talking to a human being about the same. Each provides us with a different sense of comfort. We are comforted in prayer and reading of God"s word, because we know God is concerned for our well being, hears our prayers, and has the power to provide us with comfort, or a solution to our problem. But God doesn"t usually respond in words, and He cannot hug you. People, however, can. People can listen, empathize, express their love for you, offer words of encouragement, impart wisdom, offer you assurance that you are not alone, and hold you accountable.

So for those who preach..."GOD IS ALL YOU NEED""if you really think that is going to EDIFY, ENCOURAGE, MOTIVATE and SUPPORT someone, then you do not have a biblical understanding of how to help FILL ONES CUP, or even your OWN. I want my cup full, if not overflowing, so I can do all the things the bible encourages me to do. I need God and I am very thankful for Him in my life"but I also am not naive enough to think I don"t need others or they don"t need me".just saying":)

ECC 4:9-12"Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: 10 If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! 11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? 12 Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.