Total Posts:141|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

God's Word Has Authority!

MsTambo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 1:41:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Question: "Is the Bible truly God's Word?"

Answer: Our answer to this question will not only determine how we view the Bible and its importance to our lives, but also it will ultimately have an eternal impact on us. If the Bible is truly God"s Word, then we should cherish it, study it, obey it, and fully trust it. If the Bible is the Word of God, then to dismiss it is to dismiss God Himself.

The fact that God gave us the Bible is an evidence and illustration of His love for us. The term "revelation" simply means that God communicated to mankind what He is like and how we can have a right relationship with Him. These are things that we could not have known had God not divinely revealed them to us in the Bible. Although God"s revelation of Himself in the Bible was given progressively over approximately 1500 years, it has always contained everything man needs to know about God in order to have a right relationship with Him. If the Bible is truly the Word of God, then it is the final authority for all matters of faith, religious practice, and morals.

The question we must ask ourselves is how can we know that the Bible is the Word of God and not just a good book? What is unique about the Bible that sets it apart from all other religious books ever written? Is there any evidence that the Bible is truly God"s Word? These types of questions must be seriously examined if we are to determine the validity of the Bible"s claim to be the very Word of God, divinely inspired, and totally sufficient for all matters of faith and practice. There can be no doubt that the Bible does claim to be the very Word of God. This is clearly seen in Paul"s commendation to Timothy: "" from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work" (2 Timothy 3:15-17).

There are both internal and external evidences that the Bible is truly God"s Word. The internal evidences are those things within the Bible that testify of its divine origin. One of the first internal evidences that the Bible is truly God"s Word is seen in its unity. Even though it is really sixty-six individual books, written on three continents, in three different languages, over a period of approximately 1500 years, by more than 40 authors who came from many walks of life, the Bible remains one unified book from beginning to end without contradiction. This unity is unique from all other books and is evidence of the divine origin of the words which God moved men to record.

Another of the internal evidences that indicates the Bible is truly God"s Word is the prophecies contained within its pages. The Bible contains hundreds of detailed prophecies relating to the future of individual nations including Israel, certain cities, and mankind. Other prophecies concern the coming of One who would be the Messiah, the Savior of all who would believe in Him. Unlike the prophecies found in other religious books or those by men such as Nostradamus, biblical prophecies are extremely detailed. There are over three hundred prophecies concerning Jesus Christ in the Old Testament. Not only was it foretold where He would be born and His lineage, but also how He would die and that He would rise again. There simply is no logical way to explain the fulfilled prophecies in the Bible other than by divine origin. There is no other religious book with the extent or type of predictive prophecy that the Bible contains.

A third internal evidence of the divine origin of the Bible is its unique authority and power. While this evidence is more subjective than the first two, it is no less a powerful testimony of the divine origin of the Bible. The Bible"s authority is unlike any other book ever written. This authority and power are best seen in the way countless lives have been transformed by the supernatural power of God"s Word. Drug addicts have been cured by it, homosexuals set free by it, derelicts and deadbeats transformed by it, hardened criminals reformed by it, sinners rebuked by it, and hate turned to love by it. The Bible does possess a dynamic and transforming power that is only possible because it is truly God"s Word.

There are also external evidences that indicate the Bible is truly the Word of God. One is the historicity of the Bible. Because the Bible details historical events, its truthfulness and accuracy are subject to verification like any other historical document. Through both archaeological evidences and other writings, the historical accounts of the Bible have been proven time and time again to be accurate and true. In fact, all the archaeological and manuscript evidence supporting the Bible makes it the best-documented book from the ancient world. The fact that the Bible accurately and truthfully records historically verifiable events is a great indication of its truthfulness when dealing with religious subjects and doctrines and helps substantiate its claim to be the very Word of God.

Another external evidence that the Bible is truly God"s Word is the integrity of its human authors. As mentioned earlier, God used men from many walks of life to record His words. In studying the lives of these men, we find them to be honest and sincere. The fact that they were willing to die often excruciating deaths for what they believed testifies that these ordinary yet honest men truly believed God had spoken to them. The men who wrote the New Testament and many hundreds of other believers (1 Corinthians 15:6) knew the truth of their message because they had seen and spent time with Jesus Christ after He had risen from the dead. Seeing the risen Christ had a tremendous impact on them. They went from hiding in fear to being willing to die for the message God had revealed to them. Their lives and deaths testify to the fact that the Bible truly is God"s Word.

A final external evidence that the Bible is truly God"s Word is the indestructibility of the Bible. Because of its importance and its claim to be the very Word of God, the Bible has suffered more vicious attacks and attempts to destroy it than any other book in history. From early Roman Emperors like Diocletian, through communist dictators and on to modern-day atheists and agnostics, the Bible has withstood and outlasted all of its attackers and is still today the most widely published book in the world.

Throughout time, skeptics have regarded the Bible as mythological, but archeology has confirmed it as historical. Opponents have attacked its teaching as primitive and outdated, but its moral and legal concepts and teachings have had a positive influence on societies and cultures throughout the world. It continues to be attacked by pseudo-science, psychology, and political movements, yet it remains just as true and relevant today as it was when it was first written. It is a book that has transformed countless lives and cultures throughout the last 2000 years. No matter how its opponents try to attack, destroy, or discredit it, the Bible remains; its veracity and impact on lives is unmistakable. The accuracy which has been preserved despite every attempt to corrupt, attack, or destroy it is clear testimony to the fact that the Bible is truly God"s Word and is supernaturally protected by Him. It should not surprise us that, no matter how the Bible is attacked, it always comes out unchanged and unscathed. After all, Jesus said, "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away" (Mark 13:31). After looking at the evidence, one can say without a doubt that, yes, the Bible is truly God"s Word.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org...
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,622
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 2:01:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/31/2014 1:41:34 PM, MsTambo wrote:
Question: "Is the Bible truly God's Word?"

Answer: Our answer to this question will not only determine how we view the Bible and its importance to our lives, but also it will ultimately have an eternal impact on us. If the Bible is truly God"s Word, then we should cherish it, study it, obey it, and fully trust it. If the Bible is the Word of God, then to dismiss it is to dismiss God Himself.

The Bible was written entirely by men, hence the question of whether or not it's God's word can never be answered without God Himself confirming it to us all.

Next.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
MsTambo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 2:08:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
2 Tim. 3:16-17 says, "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work."

2 Pet. 1:21, "for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God." Notice that Peter is stating that prophecy is not the product of human will. Instead, prophecy occurs by those moved by the Holy Spirit.

"Thus says the Lord" occurs 418 times
Exodus 4:22, "Then you shall say to Pharaoh, Thus says the Lord, 'Israel is My son, My first-born.'"

1 Kings 11:31, "And he said to Jeroboam, 'Take for yourself ten pieces; for thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, Behold, I will tear the kingdom out of the hand of Solomon and give you ten tribes.'"

Isaiah 7:7, "thus says the Lord God, 'It shall not stand nor shall it come to pass.'"
"God said" occurs 46 times

Genesis 1:3, "Then God said, 'Let there be light'; and there was light."

Exodus 3:14, "And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM'; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, I AM has sent me to you."

Exodus 6:2-3, "God spoke further to Moses and said to him, 'I am the Lord; and I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as God Almighty, but by My name, Lord, I did not make Myself known to them.'"

God spoke through prophets
1 Kings 14:18, "And all Israel buried him and mourned for him, according to the word of the Lord which He spoke through His servant Ahijah the prophet."

2 Sam. 24:11-12, "When David arose in the morning, the word of the Lord came to the prophet Gad, David's seer, saying, 12 'Go and speak to David, Thus the Lord says, "I am offering you three things; choose for yourself one of them, which I may do to you."'"

Zech. 7:7, "Are not these the words which the Lord proclaimed by the former prophets, when Jerusalem was inhabited and prosperous with its cities around it, and the Negev and the foothills were inhabited?"

The Spirit of the Lord spoke through people
2 Sam. 23:2, "The Spirit of the Lord spoke by me, and His word was on my tongue."

1 Kings 22:24, "Then Zedekiah the son of Chenaanah came near and struck Micaiah on the cheek and said, 'How did the Spirit of the Lord pass from me to speak to you?'"

2 Chron. 20:14-15, "Then in the midst of the assembly the Spirit of the Lord came upon Jahaziel the son of Zechariah, the son of Benaiah, the son of Jeiel, the son of Mattaniah, the Levite of the sons of Asaph; 15 and he said, 'Listen, all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem and King Jehoshaphat: thus says the Lord to you, Do not fear or be dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours but God's.'"
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,622
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 2:13:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/31/2014 2:08:06 PM, MsTambo wrote:
2 Tim. 3:16-17 says, "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work."

2 Pet. 1:21, "for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God." Notice that Peter is stating that prophecy is not the product of human will. Instead, prophecy occurs by those moved by the Holy Spirit.

"Thus says the Lord" occurs 418 times
Exodus 4:22, "Then you shall say to Pharaoh, Thus says the Lord, 'Israel is My son, My first-born.'"

1 Kings 11:31, "And he said to Jeroboam, 'Take for yourself ten pieces; for thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, Behold, I will tear the kingdom out of the hand of Solomon and give you ten tribes.'"

Isaiah 7:7, "thus says the Lord God, 'It shall not stand nor shall it come to pass.'"
"God said" occurs 46 times

Genesis 1:3, "Then God said, 'Let there be light'; and there was light."

Exodus 3:14, "And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM'; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, I AM has sent me to you."

Exodus 6:2-3, "God spoke further to Moses and said to him, 'I am the Lord; and I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as God Almighty, but by My name, Lord, I did not make Myself known to them.'"

God spoke through prophets
1 Kings 14:18, "And all Israel buried him and mourned for him, according to the word of the Lord which He spoke through His servant Ahijah the prophet."

2 Sam. 24:11-12, "When David arose in the morning, the word of the Lord came to the prophet Gad, David's seer, saying, 12 'Go and speak to David, Thus the Lord says, "I am offering you three things; choose for yourself one of them, which I may do to you."'"

Zech. 7:7, "Are not these the words which the Lord proclaimed by the former prophets, when Jerusalem was inhabited and prosperous with its cities around it, and the Negev and the foothills were inhabited?"

The Spirit of the Lord spoke through people
2 Sam. 23:2, "The Spirit of the Lord spoke by me, and His word was on my tongue."

1 Kings 22:24, "Then Zedekiah the son of Chenaanah came near and struck Micaiah on the cheek and said, 'How did the Spirit of the Lord pass from me to speak to you?'"

2 Chron. 20:14-15, "Then in the midst of the assembly the Spirit of the Lord came upon Jahaziel the son of Zechariah, the son of Benaiah, the son of Jeiel, the son of Mattaniah, the Levite of the sons of Asaph; 15 and he said, 'Listen, all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem and King Jehoshaphat: thus says the Lord to you, Do not fear or be dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours but God's.'"

Sorry, but we see that exact same thing from those with mental disorders who embrace and obsess over a religion... kind of like, you.

Not only that, but your fallaciously using the Bible to prove itself. Doesn't work like that.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
MsTambo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 2:24:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
That's funny God's word says otherwise...:)

THE POWER OF THE WORD OF GOD

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Romans 10:17
So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

Acts 20:32
And now I commend you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified.

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

1 Peter 1:23
Since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God;

1 Thessalonians 2:13
And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers.

Jeremiah 15:16
Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

James 1:22
But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

Galatians 5:17
For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.

Acts 6:7
And the word of God continued to increase, and the number of the disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests became obedient to the faith.

John 15:3
Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you.

Psalm 1:2
But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.

1 Corinthians 2:14
The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

Acts 8:14
Now when the apostles at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent to them Peter and John,

Joshua 1:8
This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

James 3:10
From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.

Genesis 9:11
I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth."

Colossians 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.

John 17:17
Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.

John 1:1-3
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Genesis 1:3
And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.

1 Corinthians 1:18

For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Romans 1:20
For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

Acts 19:20
So the word of the Lord continued to increase and prevail mightily.

John 16:13
When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.

John 12:24
Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.

John 6:63
It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

Psalm 119:105
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

Psalm 33:6 E
By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and by the breath of his mouth all their host.

Deuteronomy 8:3
And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.

Acts 17:11
Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.

Acts 6:4
But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word."

John 1:14
And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

John 1:1-
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

John 1:1

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Luke 8:11

Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

Matthew 4:4

But he answered, "It is written, ""Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.""

Psalm 19:7

The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple;

Genesis 1:1-31

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness. God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.

Hebrews 1:1

Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets,

Titus 1:9

He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.
wsmunit7
Posts: 1,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 2:28:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/31/2014 2:24:11 PM, MsTambo wrote:
That's funny God's word says otherwise...:)

THE POWER OF THE WORD OF GOD

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Romans 10:17
So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

Acts 20:32
And now I commend you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified.

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

1 Peter 1:23
Since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God;

1 Thessalonians 2:13
And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers.

Jeremiah 15:16
Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

James 1:22
But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

Galatians 5:17
For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.

Acts 6:7
And the word of God continued to increase, and the number of the disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests became obedient to the faith.

John 15:3
Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you.

Psalm 1:2
But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.

1 Corinthians 2:14
The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

Acts 8:14
Now when the apostles at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent to them Peter and John,

Joshua 1:8
This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

James 3:10
From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.

Genesis 9:11
I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth."

Colossians 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.

John 17:17
Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.

John 1:1-3
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Genesis 1:3
And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.

1 Corinthians 1:18

For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Romans 1:20
For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

Acts 19:20
So the word of the Lord continued to increase and prevail mightily.

John 16:13
When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.

John 12:24
Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.

John 6:63
It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

Psalm 119:105
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

Psalm 33:6 E
By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and by the breath of his mouth all their host.

Deuteronomy 8:3
And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.

Acts 17:11
Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.

Acts 6:4
But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word."

John 1:14
And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

John 1:1-
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

John 1:1

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Luke 8:11

Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

Matthew 4:4

But he answered, "It is written, ""Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.""

Psalm 19:7

The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple;

Genesis 1:1-31

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness. God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.

Hebrews 1:1

Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets,

Titus 1:9

He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.

Excuse me, but this is a forum, not a pulpit.
wsmunit7
Posts: 1,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 2:49:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/31/2014 2:32:48 PM, MsTambo wrote:
And what do you call what you are doing...Personally Attacking, with no facts?

Facts?? You have no "facts" to present. You have your personal opinions and beliefs, but they do not equate to "fact".
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,622
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 2:53:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/31/2014 2:30:39 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
You are not discussing, you are preaching.

At 12/31/2014 2:32:48 PM, MsTambo wrote:
And what do you call what you are doing...Personally Attacking, with no facts?

Oh no, what wsmunit7 wrote was indeed a fact and not a personal insult.

Calling you an idiot, or moron, or religious nutjob would be examples of attacking you personally.

But, this post is literally your first post on this thread where you actually say something, all the rest from the get go was copied and pasted from other sites. You offered no discussion at all by doing that, all you're accomplishing here is preaching the gospel.

What say you?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 2:58:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/31/2014 2:32:48 PM, MsTambo wrote:
And what do you call what you are doing...Personally Attacking, with no facts?

No facts? You've offered not a single valid or credible evidence that the Bible is anything but a collection of the (often horrible and barbaric) beliefs of men!

FACT: Every book of the Bible is the work of men

FACT: The selection of books for the Bible was done completely by men.

FACT: The men who selected the books of the Bible didn't agree, and fought back and forth for 42-years before settling.

FACT: Even after settling on a canon in 367CE, the Bible canon was then changed in 397CE, and AGAIN, claimed to be "God's word".

FACT: There were few unanimous decisions about the books of the Bible and many large minority votes.

FACT: When the canon was first "finalized" Constantine directed that a document be written, proclaiming the selected works to be the word of God, and all of the members of the council were ordered to sign, under threat of exile and excommunication.

FACT: Despite these threats, some of the men still REFUSED to sign! Even THEY could not swallow the absurd claim that the Bible was "God's word", and THEY were involved in the selection process!

FACT: There is not a single valid reason to accept the absurd claim that the Bible is in any way, the word, work, or thoughts of God. It's a man-made collection of writings and reflects the primitive barbarity of those who wrote the selected works, including the idea that rape, slavery, infanticide, misogyny and genocide are all acceptable moral acts.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
wsmunit7
Posts: 1,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:03:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/31/2014 2:32:48 PM, MsTambo wrote:
And what do you call what you are doing...Personally Attacking, with no facts?

Personal attacks? I have not called you "ignorant" as you have called me in another thread. I have questioned your knowledge of science and religion in general, but I have not said you are ignorant.

I have not claimed superiority over you because of age or experience as you have done to me. I merely offered that I have as much or more age / education /experience than you.
MsTambo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:04:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
That is your choice to believe what you want. Thing is, one of us is right.

Think about it this way. If I am right I have nothing to lose, but you do.

If you are right, you have not given any HOPE or ASSURANCE of any TRUTH for your eternal destiny, good or bad.

At least I STAND for and ON something....what do you believe?
wsmunit7
Posts: 1,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:08:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/31/2014 3:04:29 PM, MsTambo wrote:
That is your choice to believe what you want. Thing is, one of us is right.

Think about it this way. If I am right I have nothing to lose, but you do.

If you are right, you have not given any HOPE or ASSURANCE of any TRUTH for your eternal destiny, good or bad.

At least I STAND for and ON something....what do you believe?

I believe in evidence, rationality, and facts.
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:08:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/31/2014 3:04:29 PM, MsTambo wrote:
That is your choice to believe what you want. Thing is, one of us is right.

Think about it this way. If I am right I have nothing to lose, but you do.

If you are right, you have not given any HOPE or ASSURANCE of any TRUTH for your eternal destiny, good or bad.

At least I STAND for and ON something....what do you believe?

Wow... Really? Pascal's wager?

Okay. Let's say that Islam is right. You will burn. So, no, if you are wrong then you might get punished.

How about a god that let's good people into heaven? Atheists have the same chance as theists to get in.

How about if there is a god that only lets atheists into heaven? Well, then I am safe and you will burn.

As there are an infinite amount of possible gods, there are an infinite amount of possible ways to get into heaven, if it exists. That means that everyone will have an equal chance to get into a heaven if they die.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Amoranemix
Posts: 521
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:09:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
First, you should to state a few things in your own words and not just copy everything from a website.
Second, it would be a sing of respect to participate in the threads of other people in stead of pushing their threads down.
Third, since you are such a big fan of the Bible, go explain the science fiction of Genesis 1 in the thread 'The Bible's hilarious account of creation' : www.debate.org/forums/religion/topic/56520.
Fourth, if you want people to actually discuss something, you shouldn't overload them with information.

Your essay appears to be nothing more than a piece of propaganda. At best you support some of your claims with dubious examples. Sceptics require evidence to change their worldview, not preaches.

About your 'evidence' :

The fact that God gave us the Bible is an evidence and illustration of His love for us. The term "revela . . .
Almost no Christian will claim that God wrote the Bible. At best he inspired it. Even if he did, that that would give him any authority is just your personal opinion.

The question we must ask ourselves is how can we know that the Bible is the Word of God . . .
Many books claim to be divinely inspired. So what are your quotes in post 3 supposed to prove other than that the authors of the Bible claimed to have been divinely inspired ?

There are both internal and external evidences that the Bible is truly God"s Word. . .
The Bible's unity is disputed. A Google search of Bible contradictions give 1.370.000 results. Why might that be ?
In addition, the Bible was assembled by people, so they could pick the books to mitigate the problems. Furthermore, non-divinely inspired books from different authors tend not to contradict each other either and any pile of them could be called a unity.

Another of the internal evidences that indicates the Bible is truly God"s Word is the prophecies contained . . .
I am not aware of any convincing prophecy. They have the usual problem of vagueness, like omitting a specific date or location. They also may have been antedated. They could have been self-fulfilling prophecies. Everyone was for example expecting a Jesus and so he had many competitors. That Jesus has resurrected is highly controversial. There isn't even a consensus he has existed.

A third internal evidence of the divine origin of the Bible is its unique authority and power . . .
To support that you present selective influences of Christianity. It also has its bad sides, like provoke wars, discriminate (e.g. the homosexuals you mention) and oppose scientific progress. Also the Bible isn't the only book with positive impact on people. Most self-help books do too and only lack the Bible's popularity. It is the belief people have in its divine inspiration that makes the Bible so influential, not its intrinsic quality.

There are also external evidences that indicate the Bible is truly the Word of God. One is the historicity of the Bible. . .
The historical accuracy of the Bible is debatable. Apart from the Pentateuch and ignoring the supernatural aspects the Bible is approximately correct, but no more than we would expect if is written by humans without divine inspiration.

Another external evidence that the Bible is truly God"s Word is the integrity of its human authors. . .
Little is known about the Bible's authors, so I don't know how you conclude they have integrity. Of some Bible books the authors aren't even known.

A final external evidence that the Bible is truly God"s Word is the indestructibility of the Bible. Because . . .
From its assembly in the 4th century, the Bible had more support than opposition. In addition, one doesn't destroy books, only copies of books. If there are still rats left after you killed many rats that doesn't imply that rats benefit from divine protection.

MsTambo 6
That's funny God's word says otherwise...:)
Your fallacy of choice is begging the question : rationalwiki.org/wiki/Begging_the_question.
The earth does not belong to man; man belongs to the earth.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:20:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/31/2014 2:01:27 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 12/31/2014 1:41:34 PM, MsTambo wrote:
Question: "Is the Bible truly God's Word?"

Answer: Our answer to this question will not only determine how we view the Bible and its importance to our lives, but also it will ultimately have an eternal impact on us. If the Bible is truly God"s Word, then we should cherish it, study it, obey it, and fully trust it. If the Bible is the Word of God, then to dismiss it is to dismiss God Himself.

The Bible was written entirely by men, hence the question of whether or not it's God's word can never be answered without God Himself confirming it to us all.

Next.

That's dumb, sorry....acting like you have proved yourself right. The only thing you have proved is that you choose to reject God. It is not Him who is failing to reveal Himself, it is you choosing to ignore Him. God loves you, and you will never know Him if you won't believe He loves you. He doesn't need to prove Himself, it is you who needs to be justified by His pardon so you can be saved from Hell.. You will give account of yourself to Him. You will stand before Jesus Christ as your Judge with your own blood on your own head if you will not believe on Him who gave His blood to cover your sins so you could be pardoned.

You will face Jesus Christ as your Judge if you will not receive Him as your Saviour. If what God did in paying for your sins with His own blood is not enough for you to believe God loves you,, then you are choosing for yourself eternal death in the Lake of Fire.

A man wrote this, but the One knocking on your door while you pretend you can't hear Him is Jesus Christ. Stop pretending. Admit that you deserve to die and burn in Hell, and believe that the resurrected Saviour offers you forgiveness, and ask God in Jesus name to save you.

You can say this is only a man writing to you, but if you will not hear, one day you will know it was God Himself reaching out to you. You will not give account of yourself to me, you will give account to God. How will you stand before Him with all your secrets on display? Every word, thought, imagination, and action is history and the time is owed to God. How will you stand? God won't buy ignorance as an excuse, you can only blame yourself if you will not believe God.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:25:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/31/2014 2:01:27 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 12/31/2014 1:41:34 PM, MsTambo wrote:
Question: "Is the Bible truly God's Word?"

Answer: Our answer to this question will not only determine how we view the Bible and its importance to our lives, but also it will ultimately have an eternal impact on us. If the Bible is truly God"s Word, then we should cherish it, study it, obey it, and fully trust it. If the Bible is the Word of God, then to dismiss it is to dismiss God Himself.

The Bible was written entirely by men, hence the question of whether or not it's God's word can never be answered without God Himself confirming it to us all.

Next.

Oh, you ......if I knew it was you, I would not have bothered trying to tell you God loves you. I know you hate God and you firmly believe you have the right to exist outside of the fire of Hell and nobody is going to tell you that evilutionary belief is based on things people told you rather than reality. That's a pretty heavy burden of proof you have, trying to prove you have the right to exist outside of the fire of Hell.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:26:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/31/2014 2:12:28 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
So much for intellectual discussion.

You are apparently not equipped for discussion here.
MsTambo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:27:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
RELIGION=DO:
ALL religions are based on DO's and DON'T. Meaning, one has to do or don't do something to earn favor with God or their eternal destination.

CHRISTIANITY=DONE:
JESUS paid it all, He said, Himself, "IT IS FINISHED" when He took our sins on the cross.
There is nothing man can do to merit eternal life, but BELIEVE/FAITH/COMMIT/YIELD/SUBMIT, to His Lordship!

Eph 2:8-9, "For by GRACE you have been saved through FAITH, it is a GIFT of God, not of WORKS, least any man shall boast"

There is only 1 way to heaven...all others are climbing a short rope, a short ladder, wishful thinking etc.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:30:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/31/2014 2:13:50 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 12/31/2014 2:08:06 PM, MsTambo wrote:
2 Tim. 3:16-17 says, "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work."

2 Pet. 1:21, "for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God." Notice that Peter is stating that prophecy is not the product of human will. Instead, prophecy occurs by those moved by the Holy Spirit.

"Thus says the Lord" occurs 418 times
Exodus 4:22, "Then you shall say to Pharaoh, Thus says the Lord, 'Israel is My son, My first-born.'"

1 Kings 11:31, "And he said to Jeroboam, 'Take for yourself ten pieces; for thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, Behold, I will tear the kingdom out of the hand of Solomon and give you ten tribes.'"

Isaiah 7:7, "thus says the Lord God, 'It shall not stand nor shall it come to pass.'"
"God said" occurs 46 times

Genesis 1:3, "Then God said, 'Let there be light'; and there was light."

Exodus 3:14, "And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM'; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, I AM has sent me to you."

Exodus 6:2-3, "God spoke further to Moses and said to him, 'I am the Lord; and I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as God Almighty, but by My name, Lord, I did not make Myself known to them.'"

God spoke through prophets
1 Kings 14:18, "And all Israel buried him and mourned for him, according to the word of the Lord which He spoke through His servant Ahijah the prophet."

2 Sam. 24:11-12, "When David arose in the morning, the word of the Lord came to the prophet Gad, David's seer, saying, 12 'Go and speak to David, Thus the Lord says, "I am offering you three things; choose for yourself one of them, which I may do to you."'"

Zech. 7:7, "Are not these the words which the Lord proclaimed by the former prophets, when Jerusalem was inhabited and prosperous with its cities around it, and the Negev and the foothills were inhabited?"

The Spirit of the Lord spoke through people
2 Sam. 23:2, "The Spirit of the Lord spoke by me, and His word was on my tongue."

1 Kings 22:24, "Then Zedekiah the son of Chenaanah came near and struck Micaiah on the cheek and said, 'How did the Spirit of the Lord pass from me to speak to you?'"

2 Chron. 20:14-15, "Then in the midst of the assembly the Spirit of the Lord came upon Jahaziel the son of Zechariah, the son of Benaiah, the son of Jeiel, the son of Mattaniah, the Levite of the sons of Asaph; 15 and he said, 'Listen, all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem and King Jehoshaphat: thus says the Lord to you, Do not fear or be dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours but God's.'"

Sorry, but we see that exact same thing from those with mental disorders who embrace and obsess over a religion... kind of like, you.

Not only that, but your fallaciously using the Bible to prove itself. Doesn't work like that.

Insanity is when a person believes they have the right to exist outside of the fire of Hell and they are bound and determined that they can prove it in death. That is insanity.
The falsehood in the discussion is from you who thinks you are justified by your own existence and there is no penalty for your wrongs in death.

God honors His Word. The fire of Hell will prove the Bible to you if you keep saying God is wrong and you are right. The only problem then will be that the reality of Hell will be the only thing you can know and you won't care about anything else when it is never again possible to believe God loves you. You can believe and be saved now, but I doubt that you will. You are too proud.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:33:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/31/2014 2:30:39 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
You are not discussing, you are preaching.

You are ignoring and trying to negate discussion. The only thing you are negating is yourself from existence outside of the fire of Hell. You need to listen to God. He won't be patient with you forever, time is running out and only God knows how much time you have left.
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:37:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/31/2014 3:27:16 PM, MsTambo wrote:
RELIGION=DO:
ALL religions are based on DO's and DON'T. Meaning, one has to do or don't do something to earn favor with God or their eternal destination.

CHRISTIANITY=DONE:
JESUS paid it all, He said, Himself, "IT IS FINISHED" when He took our sins on the cross.
There is nothing man can do to merit eternal life, but BELIEVE/FAITH/COMMIT/YIELD/SUBMIT, to His Lordship!

Eph 2:8-9, "For by GRACE you have been saved through FAITH, it is a GIFT of God, not of WORKS, least any man shall boast"

There is only 1 way to heaven...all others are climbing a short rope, a short ladder, wishful thinking etc.

Okay, then back it up. Provide evidence for your claims. If you do not have evidence, and we just talk philosophically, then I am correct that everyone has equal chance.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:37:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Excuse me, but this is a forum, not a pulpit.

Yes, and you do not own it. If you don't like it, which obviously you do not, why not go make your own forum where you can initiate the topic and discuss it however you choose.

By the way, the whole universe is God's pulpit and He is trying to get a message through to you.
MsTambo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:40:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I do not have to prove anything. When you die it will be proven then.

If I were you, I wouldn't wait till then...;)
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:43:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/31/2014 3:27:16 PM, MsTambo wrote:
RELIGION=DO:
ALL religions are based on DO's and DON'T. Meaning, one has to do or don't do something to earn favor with God or their eternal destination.

CHRISTIANITY=DONE:
JESUS paid it all, He said, Himself, "IT IS FINISHED" when He took our sins on the cross.
There is nothing man can do to merit eternal life, but BELIEVE/FAITH/COMMIT/YIELD/SUBMIT, to His Lordship!

Eph 2:8-9, "For by GRACE you have been saved through FAITH, it is a GIFT of God, not of WORKS, least any man shall boast"

There is only 1 way to heaven...all others are climbing a short rope, a short ladder, wishful thinking etc.

Oddly enough, if we use a valid definition for "religion" instead of the made-up fallacious definition you've provided, we find that Christianity IS most certainly a religion, little different from many others, with a history showing that it was constructed from bits and pieces of other religions, and is polytheistic in nature.

http://dictionary.reference.com...
RELIGION:

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects:

http://en.wikipedia.org...
- "A religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence.[note 1] Many religions have narratives, symbols, and sacred histories that aim to explain the meaning of life and/or to explain the origin of life or the Universe. From their beliefs about the cosmos and human nature, people may derive morality, ethics, religious laws or a preferred lifestyle. According to some estimates, there are roughly 4,200 religions in the world."

https://www.google.com...
1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods

- a particular system of faith and worship

- a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.


http://www.merriam-webster.com...
1. the belief in a god or in a group of gods

an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods

an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group

NOW; if the clergy is willing to so boldly and blatantly lie to you about what a religion is (knowing that you lack the cognitive decision making skills to even check), what makes you think they're being honest about anything else?
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 3:43:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/31/2014 2:30:39 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
You are not discussing, you are preaching.

You are not discussing. You are trying to preach. You are trying to say you have the right to exist outside of the fire of Hell, and doing it in a sneaky underhanded way. You need to listen before you try to discuss. If you won't listen, you should go make your own forum and dicusss your preaching there.