mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2010 4:00:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/10/2010 3:55:09 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/9/2010 8:19:29 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I have tried to engage Denote on why he believes in God, but he has objected that the forum in which I did so was inappropriate.

Since this reasonable objection is easily fixed... I figured I'd do so.

And now, Denote, the floor is yours.

Ask me.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2010 7:51:12 PM
At 6/10/2010 7:37:20 PM, Denote wrote:
Any heads up on who's personalized thread™ you'll be sponsoring tomorrow? The anticipation is killing me.

mmm....

If anybody else specifically asks for me to question them (as did DATCMOTO)...

Or (as in your case) evades requests to explain the reasoning for the positions they put forward...

Then that person.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 1:03:42 PM

He simply told you, "ask me."
Hence why I'm making fun of your apparent trend of making personalized threads without specific request.

Or (as in your case) evades requests to explain the reasoning for the positions they put forward...

You asked me what reason I had for believing in God. The position I was putting forward at the time had nothing to do with personal convictions about the existence of God, so my reasoning would have nothing to do with that.

So, "explain the reasoning for the positions they put forward... "
and, "explain the reasoning for your belief in God..."
aren't synonymous as you'd like to think.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 2:06:45 PM
At 6/11/2010 1:03:42 PM, Denote wrote:

Hence why I'm making fun of your apparent trend of making personalized threads without specific request.

IF DATCMOTO didn't want AT LEAST as big of a spotlight as you were, so graciously, afforded...
He would have just answered the question that was directed to you without asking for my Re-asking it towards him.

Metaphysics:
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 2:48:41 PM
IF DATCMOTO didn't want AT LEAST as big of a spotlight as you were, so graciously, afforded...
He would have just answered the question that was directed to you without asking for my Re-asking it towards him.

"He would have just answered the question that was directed to you"
Maybe not. Doing so might suggest that he was unaware of the target of that thread.

This does not necessarily mean that he wanted his own thread. If anything, it suggests that he didn't wish to barge into a thread targeted at Denote without first acknowledging that he was not Denote.

That's not entirely impossible.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 2:57:41 PM
At 6/11/2010 2:48:41 PM, Denote wrote:

Maybe not. Doing so might suggest that he was unaware of the target of that thread.

This does not necessarily mean that he wanted his own thread. If anything, it suggests that he didn't wish to barge into a thread targeted at Denote without first acknowledging that he was not Denote.

DATCMOTO isn't an evading whiner like some... as far as I could tell his "ASK ME" was asking for me to "ASK HIM" as I asked you.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 2:58:48 PM
At 6/11/2010 2:57:41 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

DATCMOTO isn't an evading....

well... he doesn't evade but he also just usually spits out scripture... and doesn't really offer explanations beyond JESUS IS LORD.... AND HE BRINGS A SWORD!!!

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 2:59:20 PM
At 6/11/2010 2:58:48 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 6/11/2010 2:57:41 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

DATCMOTO isn't an evading....

well... he doesn't evade

his evasions are of a different kind.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 3:03:06 PM
At 6/11/2010 3:01:04 PM, Denote wrote:
Couldn't think of a better answer than the above insults?

I gave my reason.. and stuck to it.

let's hear yours for why you believe in god.

Metaphysics:
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 3:09:44 PM
Lol, are you stalking denote, matt?

Is this gonna be another C_N and Datcmoto?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 3:15:24 PM
At 6/11/2010 3:09:44 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Lol, are you stalking denote, matt?

It seems he's now stalking me... But also... I don't mind letting off steam on him :P

Is this gonna be another C_N and Datcmoto?
you know it.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 3:24:32 PM
At 6/11/2010 3:22:27 PM, Denote wrote:
I just find you and your silly assumptions amusing.

Right back atcha! (though I answered your objections)

I could repeat which assumption I'm referring to if you'd like.

Metaphysics:
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 3:35:35 PM

Okay, let's take a look at your answers.

DATCMOTO isn't an evading whiner like some... as far as I could tell his "ASK ME" was asking for me to "ASK HIM" as I asked you.

The fact that you don't believe him to be evasive is irrelevant. Even if we both agree that he isn't evasive, answering the question in the Denote thread would not be evasive. So his non-evasive behavior does not mean that he originally wanted you to make an entirely new thread.

Might want to give up on that one, buddy.

Shoot.

And now I do have some work to complete, so please don't accuse me of being evasive if I don't respond immediately.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 10:35:48 PM
This was my answer

At 6/11/2010 2:06:45 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 10:36:42 PM
At 6/11/2010 3:35:35 PM, Denote wrote:

Okay, let's take a look at your answers.

The fact that you don't believe him to be evasive is irrelevant. Even if we both agree that he isn't evasive, answering the question in the Denote thread would not be evasive. So his non-evasive behavior does not mean that he originally wanted you to make an entirely new thread.

Might want to give up on that one, buddy.

Shoot.

And now I do have some work to complete, so please don't accuse me of being evasive if I don't respond immediately.

For what reasons do you believe in god?

Metaphysics:
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2010 11:40:21 PM
At 6/11/2010 1:03:42 PM, Denote wrote:

You asked me what reason I had for believing in God. The position I was putting forward at the time had nothing to do with personal convictions about the existence of God, so my reasoning would have nothing to do with that.

So, "explain the reasoning for the positions they put forward... "
and, "explain the reasoning for your belief in God..."
aren't synonymous as you'd like to think.

Why are you spamming this thread? We know you are not interested in a discussion of religion, well done, good for you, have a cookie, please leave.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2010 2:44:37 AM
At 6/10/2010 4:00:33 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I have tried to engage Denote on why he believes in God, but he has objected that the forum in which I did so was inappropriate.

Ask me.

Thanks..

BECAUSE He spoke to me personally and continues to do so.

BECAUSE His instructions, as revealed through Jesus Christ in the Gospels, ACTUALLY work on a day by day, practical level.

BECAUSE I've tried therapy, meditation, philosophy, drinks/drugs, sex etc etc and without Him it's ALL EMPTY.

Jesus said " You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free. "

This is EXACTLY my experience of Christianity.
The Cross.. the Cross.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2010 9:03:14 AM
At 6/12/2010 2:44:37 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Ask me.

Thanks..

Good reason!
you do mean like an actual voice/actual "talking".... right??

You're NOT just equivocating on "talking" and really mean that in reading the stories of Jesus you were deeply affected/ had a spiritual awakening...

BECAUSE His instructions, as revealed through Jesus Christ in the Gospels, ACTUALLY work on a day by day, practical level.

Eh... I'd say if they didn't work there'd be a problem... BUT the fact that they DO work wouldn't give much credence to J-man being GOD.

BECAUSE I've tried therapy, meditation, philosophy, drinks/drugs, sex etc etc and without Him it's ALL EMPTY.

So... without Jesus You're a Nihilist.

& Jesus' teachings gave you meaning.... so Jesus' teachings must be true???

No....
doesn't follow... I think the reasons for your belief that Jesus is God (and that God exists at all) all hinge on the first one.

Nietzsche has a quite interesting understanding of the teachings of Jesus in his book The Antichrist... (he loved Jesus... but he thought Paul, and others, heavily cloaked Jesus' teachings... and made it more palatable for Jews)

(despite the title... your hands won't burn if you pick it up)

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2010 9:12:16 AM
At 6/12/2010 9:03:14 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
but he thought Paul, and others, heavily cloaked Jesus' teachings... and made it more palatable for Jews

by maintaining the hierarchy between God and Man...

Jesus' teachings broke down the hierarchy between man and man...

BUT Nietzsche thought they also were meant to break down the wall between God and Man.... in that we're all sons of God... as was Jesus.

Metaphysics:
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2010 9:30:42 AM

Ask me.

Thanks..

told you.
signature
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2010 2:28:45 PM
@mattrodstrom

Are you going to tell me what assumption I made?

@Cerebral_Narcissist

Unfortunately that's not within your jurisdiction, pal.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 2:55:32 AM
At 6/12/2010 9:03:14 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Ask me.

Thanks..

Good reason!
you do mean like an actual voice/actual "talking".... right??

Sure, but a voice of 'pure meaning' rather that auditory.

You're NOT just equivocating on "talking" and really mean that in reading the stories of Jesus you were deeply affected/ had a spiritual awakening...

No.

Eh... I'd say if they didn't work there'd be a problem... BUT the fact that they DO work wouldn't give much credence to J-man being GOD.

They set you free, make you see.

So... without Jesus You're a Nihilist.

Pretty much.. the most important thing in my life before Christ was Disco music!

& Jesus' teachings gave you meaning.... so Jesus' teachings must be true???

Gave me New Life! to live without fear and doubt again is truly great.

No....
doesn't follow... I think the reasons for your belief that Jesus is God (and that God exists at all) all hinge on the first one.

Nietzsche has a quite interesting understanding of the teachings of Jesus in his book The Antichrist... (he loved Jesus... but he thought Paul, and others, heavily cloaked Jesus' teachings... and made it more palatable for Jews)

(despite the title... your hands won't burn if you pick it up)

Nietzsche was the son of a preacher, his lifes work can be seen as one long act of revenge.
The Cross.. the Cross.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 8:10:50 AM
At 6/12/2010 2:28:45 PM, Denote wrote:
@mattrodstrom

Are you going to tell me what assumption I made?

your assumption of God's existence.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 8:16:29 AM
At 6/14/2010 2:55:32 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
Nietzsche was the son of a preacher,

A whole family of preachers...

his lifes work can be seen as one long act of revenge.

He thought his work was the Necessary result of coming from preachers... that the understanding of their beliefs built upon each other until him.

(he really doesn't like the idea of vengeance)

Also... did you not care for others before Jesus???

Metaphysics:
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 10:03:02 AM
For the love of god!

You're debating over how much of a troll a guy is.

The idiot wants attention, nothing more, he thrives on it, and you're throwing bucketfulls right in his face.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 2:32:48 AM
At 6/14/2010 8:16:29 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 6/14/2010 2:55:32 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
Nietzsche was the son of a preacher,

A whole family of preachers...

his lifes work can be seen as one long act of revenge.

He thought his work was the Necessary result of coming from preachers... that the understanding of their beliefs built upon each other until him.

(he really doesn't like the idea of vengeance)

I said 'can be seen as'.. I can see it.
Also... did you not care for others before Jesus???

Sure, in a selfish kinda way; we would all betray our love-ones to save ourselves, (rat-scene 1984 anyone?) it is only through the spirit of Jesus (or severe military training!) that we can truly sacrifice ourselves.
The Cross.. the Cross.