Jump to topic:

Coincidence?

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 6:11:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So I prayed to our Lord and Savior, Emperor Caesar Augustus, today that the world wouldn't end right now and here we are. Coincidence? I think not! Anyway, time for a realistic discussion: as most of you probably know there were "cults" "back in the day" where individuals worshiped their great leaders (IE Pharaohs or Roman Emperors) as gods. Specifically, we can look at examples such as with Imperial Cults, Hero Cults, and things of that nature. What do you think about these "human deities"? If you look at who these "deities" are, it is fairly clear that they have brought prosperity to their civilizations. Jesus of Nazareth is technically considered an example of a "Posthumous deification", deified during times of need. Other examples are sometimes "deified" after their deaths, usually termed as "ancestor worship".

What do you guys think about this? Why do you think these specific people were chosen to be "divine"? What about the more interesting cases like the worship of Homer and George Washington even? Why do people no longer worship these characters? What makes Jesus so special compared to all the others? Could there be a reincarnation thing going on? Will Romulus and Remus return with the Roman Emperors, in the form of the Roman gods, to restore the Roman Empire? Will Nebuchadnezzar II return and restore the Tower of Babel? Why is Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, considered a god in the village of Yaohnanen!?

To clarify, this isn't the place for you atheists to mock any religion right now, this is more of a historical discussion.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 9:35:06 PM
At 12/31/2014 6:11:00 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
So I prayed to our Lord and Savior, Emperor Caesar Augustus, today that the world wouldn't end right now and here we are. Coincidence? I think not! Anyway, time for a realistic discussion: as most of you probably know there were "cults" "back in the day" where individuals worshiped their great leaders (IE Pharaohs or Roman Emperors) as gods. Specifically, we can look at examples such as with Imperial Cults, Hero Cults, and things of that nature. What do you think about these "human deities"? If you look at who these "deities" are, it is fairly clear that they have brought prosperity to their civilizations. Jesus of Nazareth is technically considered an example of a "Posthumous deification", deified during times of need. Other examples are sometimes "deified" after their deaths, usually termed as "ancestor worship".

What do you guys think about this? Why do you think these specific people were chosen to be "divine"? What about the more interesting cases like the worship of Homer and George Washington even? Why do people no longer worship these characters? What makes Jesus so special compared to all the others? Could there be a reincarnation thing going on? Will Romulus and Remus return with the Roman Emperors, in the form of the Roman gods, to restore the Roman Empire? Will Nebuchadnezzar II return and restore the Tower of Babel? Why is Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, considered a god in the village of Yaohnanen!?

To clarify, this isn't the place for you atheists to mock any religion right now, this is more of a historical discussion.

The history of christianity shows us without doubt that the god and the religion are the invention of man.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 10:01:35 PM
These cults were also common in Japan, the Khmer Empire and various Chinese dynasties. The largest factor seems to be that they often predate the evangelizing religions which later came to dominant the world stage, with extensive missionary activity and an ecclesiastical organization which set itself up as a separate authority, ruling along with governments. Those imperial cults which lasted the distance, such as Japan's, did so because the area remained isolated from these new religions, as Japan did with Abrahamic religion due to geography and isolationism, and/or absorbed their influence in a way which didn't disrupt the existing paradigm, as the Japanese did with Buddhism by incorporating it into Shinto.

All in all, the god-king phenomenon seems to only exist where a separate independent ecclesiastical organization does not exist, or where it was subsumed by a higher political office, as the office of Pontifex Maximus was in Rome. The Roman god-king ideal died a slow death, struggling on in the guise of Byzantine caesaropapism, but was steadily chipped away by the clergy over the years.

The Vanuatu cults are an interesting case, as they evolved out of a cargo cult which worshipped a mythical WWII soldier named John Frum. I find these religious groups fascinating. During WWII, when we island-hopped across the Pacific, we exposed natives to industrial technology such as aircraft, food, weapons, radio, landing strips, etc. The fact that we had a supply chain stretching thousands of miles was completely unintelligible to them, so they perceived our actions as rituals which brought these supposedly divine gifts to us. When we left, and the goods stopped coming, they ritualized what they remembered of our activities, building air strips, control towers, and ersatz headsets out of coconuts and straw in an attempt to bring the riches which had vanished. The cults have since diversified and evolved immensely.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 4:01:44 AM
It's an interesting topic, and one still done by people today when they pray to saints (granted at a less intense level of it)., or even dead relatives.

I however place no moral judgement on it.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 4:52:17 AM
At 12/31/2014 6:11:00 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

That was sort of the point of religion though, if man was a God King, then surely, just a God is infallible, as there is no man involved. Hence, remove the man.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 4:52:33 AM
I use my lucky imitation rabbits foot to ward off tigers and it works, I've never been attacked by a tiger.
When I was little I used to pray to god to not let the mosquitoes attack me and they always did anyway.
Proving beyond any shadow of doubt that my imitation rabbits foot is more powerful than god.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin