Jump to topic:

Beyond Religion

wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 8:19:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I believe that if we are to survive as the human race, indeed if we are to survive as a life supporting planet, we must somehow overcome bigotry in all forms : racial, national, religious, and sexual just to name a few.

I doubt many of you experienced the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1963. I did. I was 13 years old and sitting in English class in Jr High. Our English teacher brought his portable radio into class so we could listen to the ongoing news. Most of you have no idea how close we came to self destruction that day. It was insanity on a global scale. I actually feared for my life, the only time I remember doing so.

It was like "my dick's bigger than yours", a stupid game kids play.

I see a similar game here. "I have truth, and you don't ". Except for limited cases (as in 1+1=2), NONE OF US OWN TRUTH!!!!!!!? (From the objectivity shown by some here, they would even deny 1+1=2). Much less SUBJECTIVE truth.

To me, it is endimic of lack of respect for the other person, and bigotry. If you cannot respect the other person's view without attacking the person, why should you expect any less?

Yes, I know I am guilty too. Emotions can get the best of any of us. Mostly, it is "fight or flight " reaction, the most primitive. But I really do try to sit back and think : "What am feeling? Why am I feeling that way? What am I thinking? Why am I thinking that way? Why am I reacting that way.?

I personally apologize to anyone I may have offended here. You have the right to your beliefs, no matter what they are based on. But others have the right to their beliefs or non-beliefs too. I will promise you this : Don't try to run my life, and I won't try to run yours. Don't tell me what I have to believe, and I won't tell you what you have to believe. But if you interfere with my right to my life, I WILL FIGHT BACK!!!!

No one I know of has ever tried to keep you from your beliefs and how you choose to live your life. Don't try it with me, and we will get along fine. Cross that line, and I guarantee you a fight.

As to the topic of this thread, there is a book which advocates the serendipity of all major religions. It is titled "Beyond Religion : Ethics for a Whole World " It highlights how all religions have basically the same ethical / moral code and a path to cessation of religious conflict. I found it in my public library. I will refrain from commenting on who I would or would not expect to read it.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 9:33:22 PM
At 12/31/2014 8:19:58 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:

As to the topic of this thread, there is a book which advocates the serendipity of all major religions. It is titled "Beyond Religion : Ethics for a Whole World " It highlights how all religions have basically the same ethical / moral code and a path to cessation of religious conflict. I found it in my public library. I will refrain from commenting on who I would or would not expect to read it.

Adhering to moral codes and ethics does not require a belief in any supernatural characters at all.
Anyone can be good and do good without believing in invisible friends to save them from anything.
Invisible people have never saved anyone from anything in reality.
It takes a real person to save another real person from any real threat.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 9:59:25 PM
At 12/31/2014 9:33:22 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Adhering to moral codes and ethics does not require a belief in any supernatural characters at all.
Anyone can be good and do good without believing in invisible friends to save them from anything.
Invisible people have never saved anyone from anything in reality.
It takes a real person to save another real person from any real threat.

I totally agree. Budhism doesn't require a belief in any gods. It's more about accepting personal responsibility. That is why I am so fascinated by the philosophy!!!!!!! And it works!!! I am still a minor league rookie, but meditation is AWESOME. It's not what most people think it is. I got a completely different understanding of it when I read the book. It's not some miracle cure it's more of a way of self discipline in how one looks at the world and themselves.

Happy New Year, and grow, however you may.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2014 11:27:17 PM
I totally agree. Budhism doesn't require a belief in any gods. It's more about accepting personal responsibility. That is why I am so fascinated by the philosophy!!!!!!! And it works!!! I am still a minor league rookie, but meditation is AWESOME. It's not what most people think it is. I got a completely different understanding of it when I read the book. It's not some miracle cure it's more of a way of self discipline in how one looks at the world and themselves.

what do you mean works? People also get fascinated by hearing musics, watching movies and vacations.
People can get happiness and peace from diverse treatments as well. meditation only one of those ways.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 12:37:19 AM
I believe that if we are to survive as the human race, indeed if we are to survive as a life supporting planet, we must somehow overcome bigotry in all forms : racial, national, religious, and sexual just to name a few.

I doubt many of you experienced the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1963. I did. I was 13 years old and sitting in English class in Jr High. Our English teacher brought his portable radio into class so we could listen to the ongoing news. Most of you have no idea how close we came to self destruction that day. It was insanity on a global scale. I actually feared for my life, the only time I remember doing so.

I see a similar game here. "I have truth, and you don't ". Except for limited cases (as in 1+1=2), NONE OF US OWN TRUTH!!!!!!!? (From the objectivity shown by some here, they would even deny 1+1=2). Much less SUBJECTIVE truth.

To me, it is endimic of lack of respect for the other person, and bigotry. If you cannot respect the other person's view without attacking the person, why should you expect any less?

Yes, I know I am guilty too. Emotions can get the best of any of us. Mostly, it is "fight or flight " reaction, the most primitive. But I really do try to sit back and think : "What am feeling? Why am I feeling that way? What am I thinking? Why am I thinking that way? Why am I reacting that way.?

I personally apologize to anyone I may have offended here. You have the right to your beliefs, no matter what they are based on. But others have the right to their beliefs or non-beliefs too. I will promise you this : Don't try to run my life, and I won't try to run yours. Don't tell me what I have to believe, and I won't tell you what you have to believe. But if you interfere with my right to my life, I WILL FIGHT BACK!!!!

No one I know of has ever tried to keep you from your beliefs and how you choose to live your life. Don't try it with me, and we will get along fine. Cross that line, and I guarantee you a fight.

I agree with most of what you say. As to the book you mentioned, I've been trying to get that point across for years, but I've found that a "debate" site isn't the best place to do it. Too many people come here simply for the argument. Aristotle said that an educated man should be able to consider a position without adopting it, but if you try that here you will be branded with every insult which others can imagine, or at least many of them. I've been accused of being religious, told I was going to hell (I don't believe in hell) and everything in-between. That's what comes from trying to be moderate.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 1:05:27 AM
At 12/31/2014 11:27:17 PM, uncung wrote:

what do you mean works? People also get fascinated by hearing musics, watching movies and vacations.

Facination and self control are different things. Over the past few years, I have become facinated with classical music, Sergie Rachmaninoff, Samuel Barber, Edward Elgar,. But that is not self control.

As I said, I am like a minor league rookie. I don't know enough yet to fully explain it to you. But if you are interested in the concept I encourage you to get a hold of the book and read it for yourself. Invest one afternoon in a new way of looking at the world and yourself. No God, god, or gods required.

People can get happiness and peace from diverse treatments as well. meditation only one of those ways.

No doubt!!! I just believe this is a good way. The choice is yours. I chose it because I wanted more knowledge about how other people think. It surpassed my expectations.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 1:09:39 AM

I remember that crises. Being a bit younger than you, I used to huddle beneath my desk during bomb drills.

If you think difference tensions are bad on this site, try working in a maximum security prison where racial and religious tensions are so thick, you get a work out just walking down the corridor.

I agree that tolerance would be nice, but on the internet ... just ain't gonna happen. Everyone can hide behind their monitors and wear their "brave faces". I'd like to see how aggressive some of the preachier members would be if they had to do it face to face with 350 pounds of pure Muslim muscle.

Anyway, I began this post in 2014, and now it's 2015. I guess I can technically say this post took a year to write.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 1:33:41 AM
At 1/1/2015 1:09:39 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

I remember that crises. Being a bit younger than you, I used to huddle beneath my desk during bomb drills.

If you think difference tensions are bad on this site, try working in a maximum security prison where racial and religious tensions are so thick, you get a work out just walking down the corridor.

I agree that tolerance would be nice, but on the internet ... just ain't gonna happen. Everyone can hide behind their monitors and wear their "brave faces". I'd like to see how aggressive some of the preachier members would be if they had to do it face to face with 350 pounds of pure Muslim muscle.

Anyway, I began this post in 2014, and now it's 2015. I guess I can technically say this post took a year to write.

+10
hahahahahahaha
a year to write
kudos
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 3:22:47 AM
Facination and self control are different things. Over the past few years, I have become facinated with classical music, Sergie Rachmaninoff, Samuel Barber, Edward Elgar,. But that is not self control.

As I said, I am like a minor league rookie. I don't know enough yet to fully explain it to you. But if you are interested in the concept I encourage you to get a hold of the book and read it for yourself. Invest one afternoon in a new way of looking at the world and yourself. No God, god, or gods required.

No doubt!!! I just believe this is a good way. The choice is yours. I chose it because I wanted more knowledge about how other people think. It surpassed my expectations.

People able to control their self without passing meditation. After All why on earth you need self control? in what cases one cannot control their self so they need meditation?
People choose also to gain happiness and peace in different ways. And they well done. So please stop promoting your Buddhism to others. It is just like promoting Classic Musics to R&B's fans. Or delicious indian food to chinese persons.
Everyone indulge their beliefs, and feel comfortable with it.
Dragonfang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 4:09:52 AM
Truth and falsehood are discriminatory to each other by nature, just saying.

Isn't trying to tell people not to run your life trying to run their life? That is incoherence; you lock yourself in a self-reference paradox since you are intolerant.
What matters is whether the intolerance is rational or not, and you need to justify the rationality of your position.
The logical conclusion of relativism breeds nothing but intolerance. If what is true, right, or beautiful is determined by the cultural environment, then which is different from the individual's is seen as false, wrong, or ugly. When an individual appreciates, respect, or even adopts some of what he or she finds in other cultures, it would be because they don't contradict the individual's standards of truthfullness, rightness, and beauty were shared by people who belong to other cultures. It devolves into an appeal to popularity, force, or consequences. The stronger culture prevails and dominates.

So I read the pages available for preview of the book. Him repeatedly mentioning problems without explaining why they are problems and not telling us what the solution is (he actually says he doesn't know at one point) wasn't a good sign to begin with. He mentions that good upbringing needs to be combined with regulations at least.

Rolled my eyes when he called secularism neutral. A good chunk of religions are ideologies which both give instructions to life and juridical commands. A ship can't have two differing captains, and a community can't have two differing constitutions. If one command overpowers the other, then mentioning the neglected commands is meaningless.
Please tell me how US of A's secularism is neutral to say, polygamy and communism. Him saying that he firmly believes that we can come up with an ethics that doesn't contradict any religion might as well be a facepalm factory.

The problem of diversity is unsolvable. There needs to be one overpowering ideology (which may or may not be based on what the majority believe in) that is subjected on the public, and the officials are required to embrace.
What he is promoting is humanism trash, humanism-lite without Materialism anti-rationalism, but trash nonetheless.

There is also the cliche' "Good without God!". Sigh. I concede that Atheists are without God.

The problem I have is with the word "Good"... The word denotes a moral state; a standard which determines which behavior is judged to be good or bad. And by this standard, thy judge themselves as [Good]. Hallelujah!

What they don't exactly say is which standard they use to judge themselves. Atheism inherently comes with no moral standards attached to it, so it must be one of the following:

1- An arbitrary moral standard which they created (and change on a whim) themselves to match their personal behavior.
2- An existing moral standard, like of the Abrahamic religions.
3- A legal or judicial standard, in which they have mistakenly confused it with a moral standard which applies everywhere and at all times.
4- They self-deceive themselves with a tautology that they are inherently moral by definition.
5- They lied by claiming that they comfort to a standard.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 4:41:32 AM
At 1/1/2015 3:22:47 AM, uncung wrote:

People able to control their self without passing meditation. After All why on earth you need self control? in what cases one cannot control their self so they need meditation?
Well in the muslim world it would appear impossible for men to control themselves unless women are dressed in full length potato sacks. Where as in civilized countries we can control ourselves in conversations and games with semi naked women.
People choose also to gain happiness and peace in different ways. And they well done. So please stop promoting your Buddhism to others. It is just like promoting Classic Musics to R&B's fans. Or delicious indian food to chinese persons.
Does that mean you will stop promoting islam?
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 5:23:42 AM
Well in the muslim world it would appear impossible for men to control themselves unless women are dressed in full length potato sacks. Where as in civilized countries we can control ourselves in conversations and games with semi naked women.

-------------
dress code for muslim women not because of men self control. It is regulated in Quran as the part of our obedience upon God. it has nothing to do with men lust. Since they also wear veil in prayer in a lonely room.
I will not stop promoting Islam. The user keep promoting Buddhism to gain self control, while I promote Islam to gain salvation and paradise, at the same time one able to control their self by practicing islam as well.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 7:32:02 AM
At 1/1/2015 5:23:42 AM, uncung wrote:

-------------
dress code for muslim women not because of men self control. It is regulated in Quran as the part of our obedience upon God. it has nothing to do with men lust. Since they also wear veil in prayer in a lonely room.
No it isn't. That is why so many muslim men claim that civilized women are just asking to be RAPED. What part of that do you not understand?
I will not stop promoting Islam. The user keep promoting Buddhism to gain self control, while I promote Islam to gain salvation and paradise, at the same time one able to control their self by practicing islam as well.
You promote islam in opposition to a belief in self control, we understand that islam doesn't promote self control at all.
If you can see female skin you can rape is the story of islam.
After all, they are cattle.
Dragonfang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 8:49:00 AM
At 1/1/2015 4:41:32 AM, bulproof wrote:

It would actually appear that women own their femininity, rather than their femininity being something people take a peak at or exploited for profit in the market in various ways. It would appear that lust must be accompanied by love, and enjoyment must be accompanied by responsibility. It would also appear that people are not arbitrarily evaluated based on their body before everything else.

I see that civilization is embodied in Miley Cyrus, Britney Spears, "you-can-see-my-thong" pants, mutual masturbation that passes for sexuality. Interesting.

Why would he do that? Muslims would have a lot to gain by inviting to their faith. Atheists would have nothing to gain by inviting to their faith (except perhaps feeling more comfortable with their belief, er I mean Atheism, which is a belief).
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 9:01:50 AM
At 1/1/2015 8:49:00 AM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 1/1/2015 4:41:32 AM, bulproof wrote:

It would actually appear that women own their femininity, rather than their femininity being something people take a peak at or exploited for profit in the market in various ways.
Of course you are capable of telling all women how they should behave and dress because you are a man and therefore superior. In the real world do you have any idea how fukin stupid that is?
It would appear that lust must be accompanied by love, and enjoyment must be accompanied by responsibility. It would also appear that people are not arbitrarily evaluated based on their body before everything else.
How stupid can anyone get. Lust is very much a part of love between adults. It's really nice for you that you can beat your wife for refusing to have sex with you. In cicvilised countries we consider that rape. But in societies that stone rape VICTIMS to death what hope do women have?
I see that civilization is embodied in Miley Cyrus, Britney Spears, "you-can-see-my-thong" pants, mutual masturbation that passes for sexuality. Interesting.
Yes and there we have the understanding of a prepubescent child. The MO of muslims.

Why would he do that? Muslims would have a lot to gain by inviting to their faith. Atheists would have nothing to gain by inviting to their faith (except perhaps feeling more comfortable with their belief, er I mean Atheism, which is a belief).
Yes we can see that from everything above.
Islam provides misogynists in everybody.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 9:31:08 AM

As much as I agree with your statement I must point out that it is virtually impossible to attack a religious belief and not have the believer feel attacked. Religion is deeply personal and any attack on it is seen as an attack on the believer as well. One school of thought says that this is because the believer creates his god from within, it is part of him (or her) and to attack that is actually attacking some part of the believer. I don't subscribe to that theory but the facts remain that it is often not possible to separate believer from belief when discussing religion.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 11:00:16 AM
At 1/1/2015 9:54:52 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Do you have to expose yourself to make a point? You hate God, that's all there is to your belief.

To whom are you directing this comment, please?
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 11:21:55 AM
No it isn't. That is why so many muslim men claim that civilized women are just asking to be RAPED. What part of that do you not understand?

You promote islam in opposition to a belief in self control, we understand that islam doesn't promote self control at all.

yes semi naked women are asking their self to be raped. Men dont rape them because of the security reason. Tell your semi naked women walk in the homeless gang. and see if she can resist the gang raper.
in Islam rape is a sin.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 11:22:48 AM
At 1/1/2015 5:23:42 AM, uncung wrote:

I will not stop promoting Islam.

That's fine and encouraged, it allows us ample opportunity to expose Islam as myth and superstition and demonstrate just how poorly and dishonestly Islamic propagandists attempt to mold the myth into something completely different.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 11:29:38 AM
At 1/1/2015 11:21:55 AM, uncung wrote:

yes semi naked women are asking their self to be raped. Men dont rape them because of the security reason. Tell your semi naked women walk in the homeless gang. and see if she can resist the gang raper.
in Islam rape is a sin.

Sooooo, if a woman is wearing a skirt the only comes to her knees, a short sleeved blouse and no veil or head covering, she's asking to be raped?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 11:30:24 AM
At 1/1/2015 11:21:55 AM, uncung wrote:

yes semi naked women are asking their self to be raped.

That would clearly demonstrate you are as ignorant to women as you are biased to Islam.

Men dont rape them because of the security reason.

No, men don't rape them because they have brains in their heads that allow them to think and reason that semi-naked women are not asking to be raped.

Tell your semi naked women walk in the homeless gang. and see if she can resist the gang raper.

So, you make up something so ridiculously absurd and childish and expect anyone to swallow that nonsense?

Yes, keep telling us all about Islam. LOL.

in Islam rape is a sin.

In the Islamic state, enslavement and rape of women is common.

http://www.washingtonpost.com...
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 11:33:11 AM
That's fine and encouraged, it allows us ample opportunity to expose Islam as myth and superstition and demonstrate just how poorly and dishonestly Islamic propagandists attempt to mold the myth into something completely different.

you may expose islam. It is so called learning, instead of blind accusations.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 11:37:13 AM
At 1/1/2015 8:49:00 AM, Dragonfang wrote:

It would actually appear that women own their femininity, rather than their femininity being something people take a peak at or exploited for profit in the market in various ways. It would appear that lust must be accompanied by love, and enjoyment must be accompanied by responsibility. It would also appear that people are not arbitrarily evaluated based on their body before everything else.

Pornography:

- Google survey finds mostly Muslim states seek access to sex-related websites (they rank 1, 2, 4, 5, 7 & 8 in the top 10).

- Iranians made the highest number of visits to "immoral sites" on Ashura Day.

- Approximately 2 million online users watch pornographic films each minute in Turkey.

- Pakistan ranked No. 1 in searches for "child sex," "animal sex," "rape sex," "camel sex," "dog sex," "rape video."

http://wikiislam.net...

It would actually appear Muslims are some of worst offenders of "mutual masturbation that passes for sexuality"

LOL. Yes, keep it coming with how Islam is so perfect.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 11:39:06 AM
At 1/1/2015 11:33:11 AM, uncung wrote:

you may expose islam. It is so called learning, instead of blind accusations.

The accusations are supported with facts. We "learn" about Islam from observing Muslims and comparing their behavior with the Quran.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 11:41:50 AM
At 1/1/2015 11:00:16 AM, dhardage wrote:
Do you have to expose yourself to make a point? You hate God, that's all there is to your belief.

It was not you, sir. But since you asked, why does it bother you? Is there something you are doing or have done that makes you feel like this was addressed to you? Be honest and tell me....what have you done or what are you doing that makes you feel like I disturbed a chip on your shoulder with this post that was not intended for you?
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 11:45:10 AM
The accusations are supported with facts. We "learn" about Islam from observing Muslims and comparing their behavior with the Quran.

and what is your observation result related to muslim's behavior and Quran ?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 11:46:12 AM
At 1/1/2015 11:42:58 AM, uncung wrote:
http://wikiislam.net...
wikiislam is not qualified as a source.

Yes, I know only too well the Islamic propagandist will never accept anything that doesn't agree with their propaganda.

Sorry, that you deny the facts, but it was expected that you would.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 11:46:24 AM
At 1/1/2015 11:41:50 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 1/1/2015 11:00:16 AM, dhardage wrote:

It was not you, sir. But since you asked, why does it bother you? Is there something you are doing or have done that makes you feel like this was addressed to you? Be honest and tell me....what have you done or what are you doing that makes you feel like I disturbed a chip on your shoulder with this post that was not intended for you?

No sir, mine was simply the last post on the list before you made your comment and you did not put a name to it so I was not sure if it was meant for me or not. If you really want me to be honest I will tell you as I've told so many like you, I can't hate what I don't accept exists. Since I don't accept the existence of your deity, I cannot possible hate it. No chip, just a misunderstanding.