How long will the earth last?

MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 3:34:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Genesis 8:21-22
21 And Jehovah began to smell a pleasing aroma. So Jehovah said in his heart: "Never again will I curse the ground on man"s account, for the inclination of the heart of man is bad from his youth up; and never again will I strike down every living thing as I have done. 22 From now on, the earth will never cease to have seed-sowing and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, and day and night."

So despite what some tell you, the earth will exist forever, and will be inhbaited forever also. God has promised that.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 3:44:04 PM
At 1/1/2015 3:34:47 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
21 And Jehovah began to smell a pleasing aroma. So Jehovah said in his heart: "Never again will I curse the ground on man"s account, for the inclination of the heart of man is bad from his youth up; and never again will I strike down every living thing as I have done. 22 From now on, the earth will never cease to have seed-sowing and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, and day and night."

So despite what some tell you, the earth will exist forever, and will be inhbaited forever also. God has promised that.

LOL. It appears our Sun has a different plan. We will ALL burn one day. It's life cycle will end as it consumes hydrogen and can no longer sustain the balance of fusion and gravity, it will expand into a Red Giant thus consuming the Earth.

The Sun, of course, makes no promises. :)
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 3:45:07 PM

Jesus only lasted for 3 years in his ministry teaching what God promised. He made it to 30 by keeping his mouth shut. Do Christians risk a backlash every time they open their mouth?
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 5:48:49 PM
At 1/1/2015 3:44:04 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

LOL. It appears our Sun has a different plan. We will ALL burn one day. It's life cycle will end as it consumes hydrogen and can no longer sustain the balance of fusion and gravity, it will expand into a Red Giant thus consuming the Earth.

Our sun has no plan, a non sentient object cannot plan, and since God created it, he can also control it when the time comes.

After all, he made it appear to stands still for almost a whole day over the plains of Aijalon. A god who can do that can do wahever he pleases.

And no, I have no idea how he did it, or how he counteracted any possible ill effects of gravity, but he did, and I have no reason to believe he could not do much more if he chose.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 6:00:55 PM
At 1/1/2015 3:45:07 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Jesus only lasted for 3 years in his ministry teaching what God promised. He made it to 30 by keeping his mouth shut. Do Christians risk a backlash every time they open their mouth?

Jesus made it to 30 for the simple reason that no-one apart from his Mother and Father, Jesus himself, and possibly his half brothers and sisters knew what he was destined to become.

Even Satan didn"t know who he was until his baptism when God's spirit transferred the spirit, personality and memories of God"s son into his body. As son as he knew he tried to tempt him in the Wilderness.

His ministry lasted 3 years 6 months, precisely the length prophesied in Daniel 9, and his death was of the manner Daniel foretold, and was followed also by the desolation that Daniel foretold in that prophecy and which Christ himself referred to in Matthew 24.

True Christians do, yes.

I have, personally been threatened with a shotgun, though whether or not he would have used it I do not know.

However many of my Brothers and Sisters throughout the earth have died because they refused to stop preaching Christ's word, including in the Nazi Concentration camps.

Many more risk their lives every day preaching in lands, Muslim lands, where they are banned from speaking on pain of death if caught.

Towards the end of the tribulation to come, when the Governments turn on religion in general, they will eventually notice that we are still here, still preaching and will turn on us also, but God will prote3ct us as he protects all his faithful.

I don"t now if it will happen to me, but as Christ said we must be (Matthew 10) I am prepared for it.

As Christ said, slaves such as I are not better than our master (Christ), if they have persecuted him they may well persecute us.

Obedience to God and Christ are more important than life to us. As they must be to all who truly wish to worship God and follow Christ.
Rant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 6:46:06 PM
I just luv people that tear the bible apart, live in the old ts but a bit of jesus in the new. you can make the bible say anything you want! . Enjoy
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 6:47:19 PM

Matt. 24:35 ...heaven and earth shall pass away...

Revelations 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away...
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 6:54:44 PM
At 1/1/2015 5:48:49 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

After all, he made it appear to stands still for almost a whole day over the plains of Aijalon. A god who can do that can do wahever he pleases.

And no, I have no idea how he did it, or how he counteracted any possible ill effects of gravity, but he did, and I have no reason to believe he could not do much more if he chose.

It's stunningly mind boggling how you dismiss scientific fact but will gobble up complete and utter nonsense.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 6:56:30 PM

Ignorant men wrote that, and they were wrong. When you assign false claims to become your standard of truth, you discard truth as an affront to your beliefs. Knowledge is more important than belief.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 7:02:20 PM
At 1/1/2015 3:44:04 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Our sun has no plan, a non sentient object cannot plan
Which is precisely why it will happen. The sun cannot choose for it to not happen. It responds in accordance with the laws of physics, which will drive it to consume its hydrogen, to expand and consume the Earth. But that will only happen if Earth hasn't already been destroyed and scattered to the reaches of the universe.

and since God created it, he can also control it when the time comes.
That is a claim for which the evidence can only speak against. You might as well apply the same insistence for the existence and intentions of Peter Pan and Tinkerbell. They're all just characters in fictional stories.

No, you have a story in which the sun stood still. That - of course - cannot occur as the passing of Earth days is due to Earth's rotation, rather than to movement of the sun. The authors of your little stories obviously didn't understand that.

You have to reason to believe that which you already believe. You believe it because it quells your fears and emotional needs.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 7:03:11 PM
How long the Earth will last depends on whether you choose to believe religious doctrines or science theories.
Both need a certain amount of faith to believe them since no one can prove for certain how long anything will last in the future.
They cannot even prove for certain how old the Earth is in the first place since all man made measurements are subjective and relative to the man made instruments with which man measures them.

All we know for certain is that the Earth exists.
Anything regarding its creation, evolution or destruction is all based on speculation.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 7:05:20 PM
At 1/1/2015 6:54:44 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

It's stunningly mind boggling how you dismiss scientific fact but will gobble up complete and utter nonsense.

His emotions are pacified by utter nonsense. Scientific knowledge is beyond his cognitive capacity so he neither understands it, nor finds it comforting.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2015 7:15:48 PM

In what state will the Earth exist forever? Will it always be home to life? Will it be a waste land?

Why should biblical verses have any merit?

Also, evidence states differently:

http://www.universetoday.com...
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 2:28:30 AM

Everything we observe is only an illusion so the earth, which is only an illusion, will last forever and so will our new bodies.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 3:33:50 AM
At 1/2/2015 2:28:30 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Everything we observe is only an illusion so the earth, which is only an illusion, will last forever and so will our new bodies.

Except of course that if it's all an illusion, then you don't exist, and I don't exist. And if you don't exist, then you're not a saint. Why would God spend his time explaining anything to a character in his own dream? Do you try to explain reality to the characters in your dreams? If what you say is true, then nothing you say is true... or even exists.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 10:26:51 AM
At 1/1/2015 7:15:48 PM, SamStevens wrote:

In what state will the Earth exist forever? Will it always be home to life? Will it be a waste land?

I think you need to read that scripture again, it actually tells you.

It does say that God will never strike donw every living thing, and that the earth wil always be fertile.

Like I said smewhere else, do you onestly think God can't control what eh created?

He made the sun appear to stand still for a whole day over the plains of Aijalon so that Joshua had to to defend the Giebonites and defeat thier enemies. Stopping it exploding should be a doddle after that, a walk in the park.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 10:28:48 AM
At 1/1/2015 7:15:48 PM, SamStevens wrote:

PS.

Yes the evidence says differently now, but will it always, can the future it predicts be trusted?

Or, when you think of how destructive Armageddon is to be, is God allowing it to develop for his own purposes?

Just a thought.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 10:47:53 AM
Our sun has no plan, a non sentient object cannot plan, and since God created it, he can also control it when the time comes.

MadCornishBiker Logic 101:

When the bible's claims are consistent with science it's proof of God.

When the bible's claims contradict science it's proof of God's omnipotence.
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 11:13:56 AM

The sun will eventually die off, and implode into a red dwarf star, making the Earth non-livable... if the sun doesn't grow big enough to swallow it whole.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 11:18:33 AM
At 1/2/2015 11:13:56 AM, dtaylor971 wrote:

The sun will eventually die off, and implode into a red dwarf star, making the Earth non-livable... if the sun doesn't grow big enough to swallow it whole.

Based on the Sun's size it will undergo a period of great expansion when its nuclear fuel is nearly exhausted. It's radius will exceed the orbital distance of Earth and the planet will be consumed in its dying throes. That is our planet's ultimate destiny.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 11:23:00 AM
At 1/2/2015 10:47:53 AM, Double_R wrote:

MadCornishBiker Logic 101:

When the bible's claims are consistent with science it's proof of God.

When the bible's claims contradict science it's proof of God's omnipotence.

Except that there is not one claim which is incosistent with provable science.

Untiul science can demonstrate beyond any doubt exactly what the base state of the materials they measure to get and idea of time was I will doubt their measurements of time.

They can prove the base state today, and that is what they use. However unless they send someone back in time a couple of million years and measure the base state then, and can also prove that nothign could possibly have cause radiation losses or gains during the intervening millennia, their measurements will remain "best guess science"..

Incidentally dendorochronology, and Ice core measurements can only go back so far, certainly not past about 48,000 years, which they would need to.

Personally i believe that the loss of the water vapour layer around the earth could have made an appreciable difference to the accuracy of their measurements.

So until anyone can prove that any variation between Genesis1 and reality is more than a case of an obvious mistranslation of 1 verse (v14), I shall stick with what I know and trust, the word of God.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 11:24:46 AM
At 1/2/2015 11:18:33 AM, dhardage wrote:

Based on the Sun's size it will undergo a period of great expansion when its nuclear fuel is nearly exhausted. It's radius will exceed the orbital distance of Earth and the planet will be consumed in its dying throes. That is our planet's ultimate destiny.

That is man's predic\tion.

God's prediction is different.

So far God's predictions have a 100% success record.

Man has done well to get a 50% record.

Which should I bet on?
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 11:27:11 AM

That is teh eact opposite of what some scientists think, lol, whihc is right?

Is eitehr right?

I repeat what I said above.

God's predictions so far have a 100% success record.

Man's predictions, even when they don't contradict each other, are lucky if they get a 50% success record.

Which should I bet on?
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 11:27:50 AM
At 1/2/2015 10:31:09 AM, bulproof wrote:
Can anybody actually believe the stupidity of the subject of this thread?

Can anybody actualy believe the stupidity of denying it?
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 11:27:54 AM
At 1/2/2015 11:24:46 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 1/2/2015 11:18:33 AM, dhardage wrote:

That is man's predic\tion.

God's prediction is different.

So far God's predictions have a 100% success record.

Man has done well to get a 50% record.

Which should I bet on?

You live in a tower of invincible denial where no fact that contradicts your beliefs may penetrate. You will continue to believe as you do until you either die or reality crashes in on you so bet however you wish. It won't affect the outcome when your life reaches its appointed ending.
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 12:03:37 PM
At 1/2/2015 11:27:11 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

That is teh eact opposite of what some scientists think, lol, whihc is right?

Which language is that?

Is eitehr right?

Speak English, please.

I repeat what I said above.

God's predictions so far have a 100% success record.

God's predictions are that there will be war, famine, etc. All of God's "predictions" that have seemingly come true are explainable by simple science. Name a few predictions. And, also, it does not have a 100% success record. If God wanted to predict something, why not predict an event that is completely unexplainable and seems like a giant astronomical coincidence? Short answer: Humans can't predict stuff like that, and humans wrote the Bible.

Man's predictions, even when they don't contradict each other, are lucky if they get a 50% success record.

The Bible has over 63,000 contradictions. The success record you are talking about here correlates with the scientific method. Humans obviously need to learn, so they form hypothesizes and test them out. Sometimes, they are wrong due to lack of experimentation before the project went underway. However, we have actually observed stars forming into red giants or creating supernovae. The assertion that the sun will die out is inevitable due to the mountainous scientific evidence and observation backing it.

Meanwhile, this knowledge was practically unobtainable when the Bible was "written," so it was both reassuring and common belief that the sun would be there forever, and people would exist forever. Haven't you noticed that is exactly what people want to hear? It seems to me that the Bible is filled with Contradictions and scarce predictions that would come true regardless of what the Bible says. To top it all off, it is obviously filled with beliefs from the ancient times.

Oh, and non-religious books have predicted unimaginable crap better than the Bible has. For example, a book was written about the sinking of an unsinkable ship. The name? Titanic. Sure enough, some years later... it came true. A movie was produced that showed a couple moving into an apartment, and finding a dead body in the water tank after their water turned black. Eight years later, Elisa Lam died mysteriously, and her remains were found in the water tank... in a hotel apartment... after the water had turned black. Hell, even Back to the Future II predicted Ipods and Iphones. How do you explain all of this? Coincidence and human observation. The same way you explain the Bible.

Which should I bet on?

Science.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 12:04:09 PM
At 1/2/2015 11:27:50 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 1/2/2015 10:31:09 AM, bulproof wrote:
Can anybody actually believe the stupidity of the subject of this thread?

Can anybody actualy believe the stupidity of denying it?

Replace stupidity with reality, and yes.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 12:07:21 PM
I posted passages from the Bible stating that the present Earth will not exist forever.

http://www.debate.org...

Not wanting to deal with the truth, you just scrolled on by. This leaves me to wonder just how much of the Bible you're reading, and how much you're making up.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.