Jump to topic:

The Perfect Day

Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 6:18:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
When it comes to the topic of perfection, it seems to me that most people define perfection as an absence of anything that is perceived as a flaw or an absence of anything that is perceived as bad.
Many people seem to want goodness without evil, "light without darkness", positive without negative, etc.
They seem to prefer "one side of the coin" as they reject the other side of it.

What is a perfect day in your opinion ? Is it a day which is void of darkness or void of night?
In my opinion a perfect day is the combination of the light and the darkness. They work together to make the day a whole day. Reject the darkness or the light and you end up with an imperfect day or only half a day. It makes the whole thing incomplete.

Is perfection an absence of negativity, an absence of darkness, an absence of anything that humans perceive as evil?

Perfection, in my perception, is a balance between two extremes.
It is a unity of the extremes of darkness and light. It is not a division between them or a rejection of one in favor of the other.

It seems easy enough to understand that darkness and light are both needed to make the WHOLE PERFECT day.

Those who understand the metaphorical meaning of darkness and light in the bible, ought to be able to comprehend that perfection and wholeness, is not about getting rid of the "enemy" but rather about loving and embracing the enemy as a necessary part of life.
Darkness ( Devil, ignorance, ) + Light ( God, knowledge) = The WHOLE PERFECT day ( Light / God/ wisdom/ understanding )

That is just some food for thought for those who like to think.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 9:28:52 PM
At 1/3/2015 9:21:03 PM, Skyangel wrote:
What is your perception of perfection?

Love is as close as it gets, but love doesn't exist on its own. So my perception of perfection is much in line with the idea that opposites are necessary and a perfect world would naturally balance itself out with imperfections by default.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 9:32:44 PM
At 1/3/2015 9:21:03 PM, Skyangel wrote:
What is your perception of perfection?

some days I sleep a little

some days I sleep a lot

some days I work a little

some days I work a lot

but in the end it all balances out

I call that perfection
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 9:38:11 PM
At 1/2/2015 6:18:57 PM, Skyangel wrote:
When it comes to the topic of perfection, it seems to me that most people define perfection as an absence of anything that is perceived as a flaw or an absence of anything that is perceived as bad.
Many people seem to want goodness without evil, "light without darkness", positive without negative, etc.

What is a perfect day in your opinion ? Is it a day which is void of darkness or void of night?
In my opinion a perfect day is the combination of the light and the darkness. They work together to make the day a whole day. Reject the darkness or the light and you end up with an imperfect day or only half a day. It makes the whole thing incomplete.

Is perfection an absence of negativity, an absence of darkness, an absence of anything that humans perceive as evil?

It is a unity of the extremes of darkness and light. It is not a division between them or a rejection of one in favor of the other.

It seems easy enough to understand that darkness and light are both needed to make the WHOLE PERFECT day.

Those who understand the metaphorical meaning of darkness and light in the bible, ought to be able to comprehend that perfection and wholeness, is not about getting rid of the "enemy" but rather about loving and embracing the enemy as a necessary part of life.
Darkness ( Devil, ignorance, ) + Light ( God, knowledge) = The WHOLE PERFECT day ( Light / God/ wisdom/ understanding )

I think perfection would entail limitlessness.

You cannot find a being so perfect that you cannot imagine a more perfect one, and so a truly perfect being would be an infinite or limitless one.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 9:44:32 PM
At 1/3/2015 9:38:11 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 1/2/2015 6:18:57 PM, Skyangel wrote:

I think perfection would entail limitlessness.

You cannot find a being so perfect that you cannot imagine a more perfect one, and so a truly perfect being would be an infinite or limitless one.

Define the word "being"
Are you confining it to one individual entity?

"Being" is simply another word for "existence". If you want to find a limitless "being" or a limitless existence just look at the universe. It is as limitless and infinite as it gets. It was and is and is to come in its eternal cycle of life.
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 9:44:45 PM
"I think perfection would entail limitlessness.

You cannot find a being so perfect that you cannot imagine a more perfect one, and so a truly perfect being would be an infinite or limitless one."

Like a new born baby?
The sky is the limit & to infinity and beyond?
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 9:50:52 PM
At 1/3/2015 9:44:32 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Define the word "being"

I suppose I meant being to be interpreted as the word "entity." I made it vague/broad on purpose, since any number of things could be theoretically thought of as "perfect."

"Being" is simply another word for "existence". If you want to find a limitless "being" or a limitless existence just look at the universe. It is as limitless and infinite as it gets. It was and is and is to come in its eternal cycle of life.

That's true. Do you think that the universe is perfect? I'm not sure if it is or isn't. Initially, I'd think that the universe isn't perfect, because you can point at examples of "bad" things (e.g. suffering, inefficiency in regard to energy consumption, pollution, etc.); however, you described perfection as a mix between light and dark, which I think is quite interesting. Perhaps the universe is a system of cyclic perfections and imperfections, just like the seasons of the year have their good and bad sides.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 9:51:58 PM
At 1/3/2015 9:44:45 PM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:
"I think perfection would entail limitlessness.

You cannot find a being so perfect that you cannot imagine a more perfect one, and so a truly perfect being would be an infinite or limitless one."

Like a new born baby?

I don't understand. A new born baby is perfect?

The sky is the limit & to infinity and beyond?

I'm not quite sure what you're saying, sorry.
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 10:19:45 PM
What I Am saying is that "perfection" is what it is.

A new born baby is perfection even if it is born deformed and such.

The "average" human baby grows in size over the years and gains knowledge and experience.

Sure some will say that a "average" human baby is not perfect and for sure a "deformed" human baby is not perfection.

Those type of people only look at the few dictionary definitions that support what they chose to try and believe and ignore the many dictionary definitions that show that OVER ALL "perfection is what it is"

Take the snow flakes or icicles. Are they perfect for what they are?

Perfect in it's own design and concept.

Those that look for the "bad" will find the bad.
Those that seek the good will find the good and the perfection that is what it is.

I Am that I Am
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 11:45:03 PM
At 1/3/2015 9:50:52 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 1/3/2015 9:44:32 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Define the word "being"

I suppose I meant being to be interpreted as the word "entity." I made it vague/broad on purpose, since any number of things could be theoretically thought of as "perfect."

That's true. Do you think that the universe is perfect? I'm not sure if it is or isn't. Initially, I'd think that the universe isn't perfect, because you can point at examples of "bad" things (e.g. suffering, inefficiency in regard to energy consumption, pollution, etc.); however, you described perfection as a mix between light and dark, which I think is quite interesting. Perhaps the universe is a system of cyclic perfections and imperfections, just like the seasons of the year have their good and bad sides.

The universe is what it is regardless of whether humans perceive and judge it as perfect or imperfect.
It is whole and complete.

I think wholeness is perfection. When I say "wholeness" I mean you need both sides of any "coin" to make a "whole coin"
You need both positive and negative aspects of anything to gain an appreciation of what is "good"
If we did not have anything "bad" we would never know or appreciate what "good" really was because there would be no opposite with which to compare it.

Opposites give us a contrast which is needed in order to see anything.

Imagine if this page was all white and the writing was also white. You would see nothing. The same if both were black. The fact that we have contrast allows us see anything at all.