Total Posts:58|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Most Christians Are Ignorant Of Bible Truths.

MsTambo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 8:31:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So Very Sad! This explains the take over of false teachers and atheists!

http://creation.com...

Pew survey reveals basic ignorance of Christian belief
Gary Bates and Lita Cosner

Published: 2 November 2010(GMT+10)

Photo stock.xchng
Empty church
Can you name the four Gospels in order? If you can, you"re doing better than the over-half of Americans who can"t"only 45% of the participants in the Pew Forum"s U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey1 could. They surveyed Protestant and Catholic Christians, Mormons, Jews, and atheists/agnostics to measure rudimentary religious knowledge among those groups. This included rudimentary questions about Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Mormonism, and Eastern religions.

The average Christian respondent to the survey answered 16 out of 32 questions correctly, including 6 out of 12 questions pertaining to Christianity. White evangelicals were the most knowledgeable group, answering 7.3 questions correctly, but still not measuring up to the Mormons, who could answer 7.9 questions. For instance, only " of white evangelicals knew that Protestants uniquely teach that salvation is by faith alone (somewhat of a mistake"the actual teaching is by grace through faith"Ephesians 2:8"9).

The good news is that the media hype about this survey is somewhat overblown"no group really scored very well on this survey. The bad news is that religious knowledge in general, including knowledge of one"s own religion, is abysmal. This includes ignorance of some very basic teachings, and as such, it is obviously a major contributor to the decline of Christianity as the dominant or prevailing worldview that it once was in most Western countries. This is simply because as a church"as individuals"we are not addressing the questions that the culture is asking. If one asks street evangelists, for example, what are the major reasons people reject the Christian faith, most will advise that in the ensuing conversations that follow, it ultimately can be boiled down to doubts about the authority of Scripture. In short, most people don"t believe the Bible to be authoritative; they believe that it contains errors; and evolution, which causes most of them to reject the Bible"s account of origins, is where the doubts start.

What is the church supposed to do for its people?

This indicates that among other things, the church simply isn"t teaching its members basic knowledge about the Bible and Christian doctrine. Forget about complicated topics such as the Trinity as three hypostases, one ousia;2 most can"t even articulate very basic, different views of communion and soteriology (the doctrine of salvation). The average churchgoer may well be completely ignorant of people like Job and even Abraham and Moses who should be Sunday School staples. This is more clear evidence that the entertainment-driven programs of many churches are clearly not producing people who can articulate even the most basic tenets of their faith, or who know the Bible.

Some churches try to fill pews with people who are simply seeking a spiritual experience to fill the God-shaped void in their lives. But this is not the function of the church. The Great Commission commands us to make disciples of others, who then go out and spread their faith to others. Evangelism is the function of the individual believer, while the function of the church is to feed believers and equip them to go out. How can this occur when many denominations have capitulated, compromised and don"t even accept Genesis as real history? Church becomes merely a club or something that someone does on the weekend to make one feel good about oneself. That is certainly the case when one considers the intellectual vacuum left by the seeker-sensitive and emergent church "isms""as even some of the seeker-sensitive church leaders have now realized"see A Major Rethink on Church Growth.

U32; of Americans incorrectly believe that it is illegal to teach a class in comparative religions, and " don"t know that a teacher can use readings from the Bible for their historical or literary value.

And when people don"t know about their faith, this means that they don"t share their faith, and they are much less confident when it comes to defending it. Can a person even properly be called a believer if there is this much ignorance about what the content of that belief is supposed to be? A person is much more likely to compromise if they are ignorant of important information about their faith. Conversely, when one is confident about what one believes, then one is more likely to be motivated to share it with others. Is it any surprise then that biblical creationists are often recognized as being more outspoken and confident, and more knowledgeable about Scripture in general"even by those who do not share the "young-earth" position? This is because the major doubts that many others have about the truth of God"s Word have been answered for biblical creationists due to their exposure to creation information. They are no longer hoodwinked by a secular worldview that presents evolution as commonly understood "science". Thus they also are more motivated to learn about the Bible, since they believe its history right from the beginning.

The attacks on the faith today probably come from no greater area than the area of secular science, which leaves many in the pews confused about what parts of the Bible to believe. This demonstrates how foundational the creation/evolution issue is to what people believe. It could be correctly described as the "issues of all issues" facing the church if it is to correctly communicate the reliability of God"s Word. If the first book of the Bible cannot be trusted then naturally one cannot be confident where the truth actually begins in Scripture.

Another finding of the survey which has evangelistic implications is Christians" general ignorance of other religions. When Christians are ignorant of the beliefs of other faiths, they are less effective when evangelizing those people. Someone who is conversant with the basic beliefs of other faiths will be able to interact with people of those faiths more effectively. Just as importantly, when Christians are ignorant of both their beliefs and the beliefs of other faiths, it becomes much harder for them to differentiate what is unique about Christianity, and what makes it different from Islam, Hinduism, and the rest of the world"s religions and cults. Let"s use the analogy of a battle or a war"as the Bible often does. One would not just engage the opposition without first gaining some idea of what you were up against. To enter into such a battle without that important information would be suicidal.

The church has the answers if it has the courage to address the questions

While the church has not always had answers to the evolutionary juggernaut that has challenged the authority of the Bible, there is no longer any excuse for Christians not to be able to defend their faith in this vital area. As Christians, today we have more information and evidence to support the Bible"s history than in any time in the Church"s own history. But so many in the church are not aware that these answers exist, or they do not understand the importance of the information for creation. Can you see then that the church is actually committing intellectual suicide by not providing answers and saying, effectively, "Just believe."? This is not an adequate response to a society where "science" is viewed as having the ultimate answers to"well"everything!

If Christianity dies in America it will not be for a lack of evidence of its truthfulness. It will be for a lack of dissemination of the evidence of its truthfulness."Mike Adams

One revealing aspect of the survey is that most Americans think that US law places tighter restrictions on faith in the public schools than it actually does. Most know that a public school teacher cann
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 8:39:40 PM
At 1/3/2015 8:31:44 PM, MsTambo wrote:

Actually, it explains the hypocrisy of Christians who don't even know the very basics of their own religion. They use the word, "abysmal" to describe it. It's got nothing to do with atheists and everything to do with people no longer interested in Christianity.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 8:48:44 PM
And yet, each time we make cogent points based on scripture, we're forced to go back over the results of that survey to show Christians that they do not possess a superior understanding.

Christianity has over 38,000 different versions (denominations), all based on various interpretations of the Bible.

Atheists have essentially one.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
MsTambo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 12:37:57 AM
At 1/3/2015 8:39:40 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Actually, it explains the hypocrisy of Christians who don't even know the very basics of their own religion. They use the word, "abysmal" to describe it. It's got nothing to do with atheists and everything to do with people no longer interested in Christianity.

It isn't hypocrisy to be ignorant. Not only that Christianity isn't based on Do's and Don't, but on ones faith. Jesus took care of the do's and don'ts. And It isn't most believers fault that CHURCH LEADERS have led them astray. the bible makes it clear that leaders will held to a higher standard for being given truth and not teaching it or applying it.

I use the illustration of a scale....Satan 0.................100 God
And depending where one is in their relationship to God, will determine how well they live in word and deed and even knowledge, wisdom (the right use of knowledge) and faith. Our job as Christians isn't to JUDGE and CONDEMN, our job is to do what Jesus did, and what I call the 5 motivators and goals of Christianity, that we are SO LACKING these days, which are...

RECONCILIATION: (To God and Others)
RESTORATION: (To God and Others)
EDIFICATION: (To God and Others)
MATURATION: (Shepherd to his Sheep)
REPRODUCTION: (Sheep producing converts, NOT the pastors job, it's ours)

Ephesians 4:11-1511 So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

14 Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. 15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ.

These truths will be explained more in my books.

Why don't most pastors teach the bible and live it? Why don't more pastors, be shepherds and lead their sheep, to MATURITY and SOUND HEALTHY REPRODUCTION? They are suppose to be the "LEADERS and EXAMPLES", but sadly, like most of our leaders in our society who are FAILING AT THEIR JOB, it all boils down to NO ACCOUNTABILITY!

Jesus said, "There were only 2 commandments (they summed up the 10...we are under grace not the law) they were , "LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART SOUL AND MIND....AND LOVE OTHERS AS YOURSELF"....If one does just those two things sincerely in their heart, then everything else will take care of itself.

Problem is, much like the pharisees in the bible, most leaders focus isn't on GOD and OTHERS, it is on PRIDE....POWER....POLITICS....PAYCHECK....PROGRAMS....PRESTIGE....POPULARITY.

And a huge factor, is that many in "ministry" are not even truly BORN AGAIN/CHRISTIAN.....and use God for their own gain. Even Jesus said, "Not everyone who says, Lord, Lord, will enter heaven," And they will say, "But didn't we preach in your name, and heal in your name and do many good works in your name?"...And Jesus said, "Depart from me, I never KNEW you".

Today, there are many "TARES" among the "WHEAT," there are many, "WOLVES DRESSED IN SHEEP'S CLOTHING"...who take advantage of IGNORANT SHEEP.

Everything in the church should be done with 5 goals in mind....

Ephesians 4:11-1511 So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

14 Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. 15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ the head.

So, sadly the trickle down effect has produced, uneducated/ignorant, hurt, abused, angry, immature, weak, anemic, sterile, SHEEP!

My prayer is that when I get done with my 2 book..."What God Desires Of A Healthy Church"...Getting back the basics. And...."Separating The Truths From The Lies With These 5 Factors"...How to live a successful life.

That more Christians, especially LEADERS, will learn how to truly teach and live basic biblical TRUTHS THAT TRANSFORM, this is what the world needs more than anything, for Jesus's GREAT COMMANDMENT when He departed from His disciples, was in MATT 28, "To go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

He also told His disciple, "The world will KNOW YOU ARE MY DISCIPLES IF YOU HAVE LOVE, ONE FOR ANOTHER"....It starts with US, from the INSIDE OUT!

Everything goes back to the HEART! God looks at the heart, 1 Sam 16:7. All HEALING and GROWTH start from the inside out.

Bottom line is if the church, doesn't wake up and see it's true calling, I pity the fool....Well, I just pity the fool, nothing more.
MsTambo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 12:43:11 AM
sorry for the duplicate paragraphs, an EVIL force (has happened more than once) got rid of a whole paragraph, and moved it and I had to figure it out all over again...guess I messed up....but you get the point.
MsTambo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 12:47:34 AM
HERE IS THE RIGHT ONE

It isn't hypocrisy to be ignorant. Not only that Christianity isn't based on Do's and Don't, but on ones faith. Jesus took care of the do's and don'ts. And It isn't most believers fault that CHURCH LEADERS have led them astray. the bible makes it clear that leaders will held to a higher standard for being given truth and not teaching it or applying it.

I use the illustration of a scale....Satan 0.................100 God
And depending where one is in their relationship to God, will determine how well they live in word and deed and even knowledge, wisdom (the right use of knowledge) and faith. Our job as Christians isn't to JUDGE and CONDEMN, our job is to do what Jesus did, and what I call the 5 motivators and goals of Christianity, that we are SO LACKING these days, which are...

14 Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. 15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ.

These truths will be explained more in my books.

Why don't most pastors teach the bible and live it? Why don't more pastors, be shepherds and lead their sheep, to MATURITY and SOUND HEALTHY REPRODUCTION? They are suppose to be the "LEADERS and EXAMPLES", but sadly, like most of our leaders in our society who are FAILING AT THEIR JOB, it all boils down to NO ACCOUNTABILITY!

Jesus said, "There were only 2 commandments (they summed up the 10...we are under grace not the law) they were , "LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART SOUL AND MIND....AND LOVE OTHERS AS YOURSELF"....If one does just those two things sincerely in their heart, then everything else will take care of itself.

Problem is, much like the pharisees in the bible, most leaders focus isn't on GOD and OTHERS, it is on PRIDE....POWER....POLITICS....PAYCHECK....PROGRAMS....PRESTIGE....POPULARITY.

And a huge factor, is that many in "ministry" are not even truly BORN AGAIN/CHRISTIAN.....and use God for their own gain. Even Jesus said, "Not everyone who says, Lord, Lord, will enter heaven," And they will say, "But didn't we preach in your name, and heal in your name and do many good works in your name?"...And Jesus said, "Depart from me, I never KNEW you".

Today, there are many "TARES" among the "WHEAT," there are many, "WOLVES DRESSED IN SHEEP'S CLOTHING"...who take advantage of IGNORANT SHEEP.

So, sadly the trickle down effect has produced, uneducated/ignorant, hurt, abused, angry, immature, weak, anemic, sterile, SHEEP!

My prayer is that when I get done with my 2 book..."What God Desires Of A Healthy Church"...Getting back the basics. And...."Separating The Truths From The Lies With These 5 Factors"...How to live a successful life.

That more Christians, especially LEADERS, will learn how to truly teach and live basic biblical TRUTHS THAT TRANSFORM, this is what the world needs more than anything, for Jesus's GREAT COMMANDMENT when He departed from His disciples, was in MATT 28, "To go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

He also told His disciple, "The world will KNOW YOU ARE MY DISCIPLES IF YOU HAVE LOVE, ONE FOR ANOTHER"....It starts with US, from the INSIDE OUT!

Everything goes back to the HEART! God looks at the heart, 1 Sam 16:7. All HEALING and GROWTH start from the inside out.

Bottom line is if the church, doesn't wake up and see it's true calling, I pity the fool....Well, I just pity the fool, nothing more.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 12:51:00 AM
At 1/3/2015 8:39:40 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

And makes even more ignorant of the gospels atheists what exactly?

Well props for pointing out you are as stupid as the stupidest Christians.

So e plain to me Gods plan of salvation as the pew pioll says you know better than me!

Pride is the biggest order blew for all atheists.
MsTambo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 1:39:13 AM
What I do not understand and find IRONIC about ATHEISM is...

What such a HATRED for a God they do not even believe in? Why do they spend so much time FIGHTING this entity, if He doesn't exist?

Because, they know in their HEART, He really does. Bet the first name they cry out when in danger or fear, is, GOD'S!

If there is any HYPOCRISY it is with them!!!
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 1:59:40 AM
At 1/4/2015 1:54:58 AM, bulproof wrote:
Provide a bible truth.

Proverbs 18:17

The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and questions him.
Kreakin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 2:59:47 AM
At 1/4/2015 1:39:13 AM, MsTambo wrote:
What I do not understand and find IRONIC about ATHEISM is...

What such a HATRED for a God they do not even believe in? Why do they spend so much time FIGHTING this entity, if He doesn't exist?

Because, they know in their HEART, He really does. Bet the first name they cry out when in danger or fear, is, GOD'S!

If there is any HYPOCRISY it is with them!!!

Atheists are fighting for truth as rational logic says it likely is. It gets heated because defenders of the faith feel threatened and react accordingly, sometime self righteously. One thing leads to another.

The ironic thing is that many Christains show that they can not turn the other cheek.
MsTambo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 3:01:38 AM
At 1/4/2015 1:54:58 AM, bulproof wrote:
Provide a bible truth.

Question: "What is truth?"

Answer: Almost two thousand years ago, Truth was put on trial and judged by people who were devoted to lies. In fact, Truth faced six trials in less than one full day, three of which were religious, and three that were legal. In the end, few people involved in those events could answer the question, "What is truth?"

After being arrested, the Truth was first led to a man named Annas, a corrupt former high priest of the Jews. Annas broke numerous Jewish laws during the trial, including holding the trial in his house, trying to induce self-accusations against the defendant, and striking the defendant, who had been convicted of nothing at the time. After Annas, the Truth was led to the reigning high priest, Caiaphas, who happened to be Annas"s son-in-law. Before Caiaphas and the Jewish Sanhedrin, many false witnesses came forward to speak against the Truth, yet nothing could be proved and no evidence of wrongdoing could be found. Caiaphas broke no fewer than seven laws while trying to convict the Truth: (1) the trial was held in secret; (2) it was carried out at night; (3) it involved bribery; (4) the defendant had no one present to make a defense for Him; (5) the requirement of 2-3 witnesses could not be met; (6) they used self-incriminating testimony against the defendant; (7) they carried out the death penalty against the defendant the same day. All these actions were prohibited by Jewish law. Regardless, Caiaphas declared the Truth guilty because the Truth claimed to be God in the flesh, something Caiaphas called blasphemy.

When morning came, the third trial of the Truth took place, with the result that the Jewish Sanhedrin pronounced the Truth should die. However, the Jewish council had no legal right to carry out the death penalty, so they were forced to bring the Truth to the Roman governor at the time, a man named Pontius Pilate. Pilate was appointed by Tiberius as the fifth prefect of Judea and served in that capacity A.D. 26 to 36. The procurator had power of life and death and could reverse capital sentences passed by the Sanhedrin. As the Truth stood before Pilate, more lies were brought against Him. His enemies said, "We found this man misleading our nation and forbidding to pay taxes to Caesar, and saying that He Himself is Christ, a King" (Luke 23:2). This was a lie, as the Truth had told everyone to pay their taxes (Matthew 22:21) and never spoke of Himself as a challenge to Caesar.

After this, a very interesting conversation between the Truth and Pilate took place. "Therefore Pilate entered again into the Praetorium, and summoned Jesus and said to Him, "Are You the King of the Jews?" Jesus answered, "Are you saying this on your own initiative, or did others tell you about Me?" Pilate answered, "I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests delivered You to me; what have You done?" Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm." Therefore Pilate said to Him, "So You are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say correctly that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice." Pilate said to Him, "What is truth?"" (John 18:33"38).

Pilate"s question, "What is truth?" has reverberated down through history. Was it a melancholy desire to know what no one else could tell him, a cynical insult, or perhaps an irritated, indifferent reply to Jesus" words?

In a postmodern world that denies that truth can be known, the question is more important than ever to answer. What is truth?

A Proposed Definition of Truth

In defining truth, it is first helpful to note what truth is not:

" Truth is not simply whatever works. This is the philosophy of pragmatism " an ends-vs.-means-type approach. In reality, lies can appear to "work," but they are still lies and not the truth.
" Truth is not simply what is coherent or understandable. A group of people can get together and form a conspiracy based on a set of falsehoods where they all agree to tell the same false story, but it does not make their presentation true.
" Truth is not what makes people feel good. Unfortunately, bad news can be true.
" Truth is not what the majority says is true. Fifty-one percent of a group can reach a wrong conclusion.
" Truth is not what is comprehensive. A lengthy, detailed presentation can still result in a false conclusion.
" Truth is not defined by what is intended. Good intentions can still be wrong.
" Truth is not how we know; truth is what we know.
" Truth is not simply what is believed. A lie believed is still a lie.
" Truth is not what is publicly proved. A truth can be privately known (for example, the location of buried treasure).

The Greek word for "truth" is aletheia, which literally means to "un-hide" or "hiding nothing." It conveys the thought that truth is always there, always open and available for all to see, with nothing being hidden or obscured. The Hebrew word for "truth" is emeth, which means "firmness," "constancy" and "duration." Such a definition implies an everlasting substance and something that can be relied upon.

From a philosophical perspective, there are three simple ways to define truth:

1. Truth is that which corresponds to reality.
2. Truth is that which matches its object.
3. Truth is simply telling it like it is.

First, truth corresponds to reality or "what is." It is real. Truth is also correspondent in nature. In other words, it matches its object and is known by its referent. For example, a teacher facing a class may say, "Now the only exit to this room is on the right." For the class that may be facing the teacher, the exit door may be on their left, but it"s absolutely true that the door, for the professor, is on the right.

Truth also matches its object. It may be absolutely true that a certain person may need so many milligrams of a certain medication, but another person may need more or less of the same medication to produce the desired effect. This is not relative truth, but just an example of how truth must match its object. It would be wrong (and potentially dangerous) for a patient to request that their doctor give them an inappropriate amount of a particular medication, or to say that any medicine for their specific ailment will do.

In short, truth is simply telling it like it is; it is the way things really are, and any other viewpoint is wrong. A foundational principle of philosophy is being able to discern between truth and error, or as Thomas Aquinas observed, "It is the task of the philosopher to make distinctions."

Challenges to Truth

Aquinas" words are not very popular today. Making distinctions seems to be out of fashion in a postmodern era of relativism. It is acceptable today to say, "This is true," as long as it is not followed by, "and therefore that is false." This is especially observable in matters of faith and religion where every belief system is supposed to be on equal footing where truth is concerned.

There are a number of philosophies and worldviews that challenge the concept of truth, yet, when each is critically examined it turns out to be self-defeating in nature.

The philosophy of relativism says that all truth is relative and that there is no such thing as absolute truth. But one has to ask: is the claim "all truth is relative" a relative truth or an absolute truth? If it is a relative truth, then it really is meaningless; how do we know when and where it applies? If it is an absolute truth, then absolute truth exists. Moreover, the relativist betrays his own position when he states that the position of the absolutist is wrong " why can"t those who say absolute truth
MsTambo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 3:02:13 AM
Moreover, the relativist betrays his own position when he states that the position of the absolutist is wrong " why can"t those who say absolute truth exists be correct too? In essence, when the relativist says, "There is no truth," he is asking you not to believe him, and the best thing to do is follow his advice.

Those who follow the philosophy of skepticism simply doubt all truth. But is the skeptic skeptical of skepticism; does he doubt his own truth claim? If so, then why pay attention to skepticism? If not, then we can be sure of at least one thing (in other words, absolute truth exists)"skepticism, which, ironically, becomes absolute truth in that case. The agnostic says you can"t know the truth. Yet the mindset is self-defeating because it claims to know at least one truth: that you can"t know truth.

The disciples of postmodernism simply affirm no particular truth. The patron saint of postmodernism"Frederick Nietzsche"described truth like this: "What then is truth? A mobile army of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms " truths are illusions " coins which have lost their pictures and now matter only as metal, no longer as coins." Ironically, although the postmodernist holds coins in his hand that are now "mere metal," he affirms at least one absolute truth: the truth that no truth should be affirmed. Like the other worldviews, postmodernism is self-defeating and cannot stand up under its own claim.

A popular worldview is pluralism, which says that all truth claims are equally valid. Of course, this is impossible. Can two claims " one that says a woman is now pregnant and another that says she is not now pregnant " both be true at the same time? Pluralism unravels at the feet of the law of non-contradiction, which says that something cannot be both "A" and "Non-A" at the same time and in the same sense. As one philosopher quipped, anyone who believes that the law of non-contradiction is not true (and, by default, pluralism is true) should be beaten and burned until they admit that to be beaten and burned is not the same thing as to not be beaten and burned. Also, note that pluralism says that it is true and anything opposed to it is false, which is a claim that denies its own foundational tenet.

The spirit behind pluralism is an open-armed attitude of tolerance. However, pluralism confuses the idea of everyone having equal value with every truth claim being equally valid. More simply, all people may be equal, but not all truth claims are. Pluralism fails to understand the difference between opinion and truth, a distinction Mortimer Adler notes: "Pluralism is desirable and tolerable only in those areas that are matters of taste rather than matters of truth."

The Offensive Nature of Truth

When the concept of truth is maligned, it usually for one or more of the following reasons:

One common complaint against anyone claiming to have absolute truth in matters of faith and religion is that such a stance is "narrow-minded." However, the critic fails to understand that, by nature, truth is narrow. Is a math teacher narrow-minded for holding to the belief that 2 + 2 only equals 4?

Another objection to truth is that it is arrogant to claim that someone is right and another person is wrong. However, returning to the above example with mathematics, is it arrogant for a math teacher to insist on only one right answer to an arithmetic problem? Or is it arrogant for a locksmith to state that only one key will open a locked door?

A third charge against those holding to absolute truth in matters of faith and religion is that such a position excludes people, rather than being inclusive. But such a complaint fails to understand that truth, by nature, excludes its opposite. All answers other than 4 are excluded from the reality of what 2 + 2 truly equals.

Yet another protest against truth is that it is offensive and divisive to claim one has the truth. Instead, the critic argues, all that matters is sincerity. The problem with this position is that truth is immune to sincerity, belief, and desire. It doesn"t matter how much one sincerely believes a wrong key will fit a door; the key still won"t go in and the lock won"t be opened. Truth is also unaffected by sincerity. Someone who picks up a bottle of poison and sincerely believes it is lemonade will still suffer the unfortunate effects of the poison. Finally, truth is impervious to desire. A person may strongly desire that their car has not run out of gas, but if the gauge says the tank is empty and the car will not run any farther, then no desire in the world will miraculously cause the car to keep going.

Some will admit that absolute truth exists, but then claim such a stance is only valid in the area of science and not in matters of faith and religion. This is a philosophy called logical positivism, which was popularized by philosophers such as David Hume and A. J. Ayer. In essence, such people state that truth claims must either be (1) tautologies (for example, all bachelors are unmarried men) or empirically verifiable (that is, testable via science). To the logical positivist, all talk about God is nonsense.

Those who hold to the notion that only science can make truth claims fail to recognize is that there are many realms of truth where science is impotent. For example:

" Science cannot prove the disciplines of mathematics and logic because it presupposes them.
" Science cannot prove metaphysical truths such as, minds other than my own do exist.
" Science is unable to provide truth in the areas of morals and ethics. You cannot use science, for example, to prove the Nazis were evil.
" Science is incapable of stating truths about aesthetic positions such as the beauty of a sunrise.
" Lastly, when anyone makes the statement "science is the only source of objective truth," they have just made a philosophical claim"which cannot be tested by science.

And there are those who say that absolute truth does not apply in the area of morality. Yet the response to the question, "Is is moral to torture and murder an innocent child?" is absolute and universal: No. Or, to make it more personal, those who espouse relative truth concerning morals always seem to want their spouse to be absolutely faithful to them.

Why Truth is Important

Why is it so important to understand and embrace the concept of absolute truth in all areas of life (including faith and religion)? Simply because life has consequences for being wrong. Giving someone the wrong amount of a medication can kill them; having an investment manager make the wrong monetary decisions can impoverish a family; boarding the wrong plane will take you where you do not wish to go; and dealing with an unfaithful marriage partner can result in the destruction of a family and, potentially, disease.

As Christian apologist Ravi Zacharias puts it, "The fact is, the truth matters " especially when you"re on the receiving end of a lie." And nowhere is this more important than in the area of faith and religion. Eternity is an awfully long time to be wrong.

God and Truth

During the six trials of Jesus, the contrast between the truth (righteousness) and lies (unrighteousness) was unmistakable. There stood Jesus, the Truth, being judged by those whose every action was bathed in lies. The Jewish leaders broke nearly every law designed to protect a defendant from wrongful conviction. They fervently worked to find any testimony that would incriminate Jesus, and in their frustration, they turned to false evidence brought forward by liars. But even that could not help them reach their goal. So they broke another law and forced Jesus to implicate Himself.

Once in front of Pilate, the Jewish leaders lied again. They convicted Jesus of blasphemy, but since they knew that wouldn"t be enough to coax Pilate to kill Jesus, they claimed Jesus was challenging Caesar and was breaking Roman law by encouraging the crowds to not
MsTambo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 3:02:43 AM
God and Truth

During the six trials of Jesus, the contrast between the truth (righteousness) and lies (unrighteousness) was unmistakable. There stood Jesus, the Truth, being judged by those whose every action was bathed in lies. The Jewish leaders broke nearly every law designed to protect a defendant from wrongful conviction. They fervently worked to find any testimony that would incriminate Jesus, and in their frustration, they turned to false evidence brought forward by liars. But even that could not help them reach their goal. So they broke another law and forced Jesus to implicate Himself.

Once in front of Pilate, the Jewish leaders lied again. They convicted Jesus of blasphemy, but since they knew that wouldn"t be enough to coax Pilate to kill Jesus, they claimed Jesus was challenging Caesar and was breaking Roman law by encouraging the crowds to not pay taxes. Pilate quickly detected their superficial deception, and he never even addressed the charge.

Jesus the Righteous was being judged by the unrighteous. The sad fact is that the latter always persecutes the former. It"s why Cain killed Abel. The link between truth and righteousness and between falsehood and unrighteousness is demonstrated by a number of examples in the New Testament:

" For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness" (2 Thessalonians 2:9"12, emphasis added).

" "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness" (Romans 1:18, emphasis added).

" "who will render to each person according to his deeds; to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation" (Romans 2:6"8, emphasis added). " "[love] does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth" (1 Corinthians 13:5"6, emphasis added).

What is truth? - Conclusion

The question Pontius Pilate asked centuries ago needs to be rephrased in order to be completely accurate. The Roman governor"s remark "What is truth?" overlooks the fact that many things can have the truth, but only one thing can actually be the Truth. Truth must originate from somewhere.

The stark reality is that Pilate was looking directly at the Origin of all Truth on that early morning over two thousand years ago. Not long before being arrested and brought to the governor, Jesus had made the simple statement "I am the truth" (John 14:6), which was a rather incredible statement. How could a mere man be the truth? He couldn"t be, unless He was more than a man, which is actually what He claimed to be. The fact is, Jesus" claim was validated when He rose from the dead (Romans 1:4).

There"s a story about a man who lived in Paris who had a stranger from the country come see him. Wanting to show the stranger the magnificence of Paris, he took him to the Louvre to see the great art and then to a concert at a majestic symphony hall to hear a great symphony orchestra play. At the end of the day, the stranger from the country commented that he didn"t particularly like either the art or the music. To which his host replied, "They aren"t on trial, you are." Pilate and the Jewish leaders thought they were judging Christ, when, in reality, they were the ones being judged. Moreover, the One they convicted will actually serve as their Judge one day, as He will for all who suppress the truth in unrighteousness.

Pilate evidently never came to a knowledge of the truth. Eusebius, the historian and Bishop of Caesarea, records the fact that Pilate ultimately committed suicide sometime during the reign of the emperor Caligula"a sad ending and a reminder for everyone that ignoring the truth always leads to undesired consequences.

Recommended Resources: True Truth: Defending Absolute Truth in a Relativistic World by Art Lindsley and Logos Bible Software.

Submit