Jump to topic:

Does Matter Inexorably Become Life?

Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 8:55:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I recently read an article written by Natalie Wolchover of Quanta Magazine in which she writes of a recent theory put forth by Jeremy England, a 30-year-old physicist at MIT, in which he proposes that life is likely to be a necessary result of matter being exposed to certain well-established physical properties. The article is here:

https://www.quantamagazine.org...

An article like this obviously has the potential to lead to a lot of emotional arguments, but from anyone who chooses to read it a well-reasoned response would be appreciated. :)
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 9:08:50 PM
I have an opposing theory: life came about, not because it was essential and had a probability of 1 due to certain factors (which is this article's breakthrough lmao), but because uh ......shine a torch on dirt and it becomes a plant!!
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 9:13:36 PM
Either that, or he's proposing some inherent sentience in matter which looks to dissipate energy... I really don't get this article at all. And not because it's going over my head.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 9:35:16 PM
At 1/3/2015 9:01:06 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
This is dumb, dude.

I don't think life is an automatic outcome of matter, but I do think life is a likely result in an environment which provides the basic needs of life. And since we're only familiar with Earthly life, we can't yet say what those basic needs are. So I partially agree with the article but not wholly and I think "this is dumb", is a bit shy of an appropriate response.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 9:37:46 PM
At 1/3/2015 9:35:16 PM, Beastt wrote:
This is dumb, dude.

I don't think life is an automatic outcome of matter, but I do think life is a likely result in an environment which provides the basic needs of life. And since we're only familiar with Earthly life, we can't yet say what those basic needs are. So I partially agree with the article but not wholly and I think "this is dumb", is a bit shy of an appropriate response.

Meh. It was mostly just a wall of ridiculous pandering. Dude's just supposedly found easy-made building blocks.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 9:42:29 PM
At 1/3/2015 8:55:01 PM, Idealist wrote:
I recently read an article written by Natalie Wolchover of Quanta Magazine in which she writes of a recent theory put forth by Jeremy England, a 30-year-old physicist at MIT, in which he proposes that life is likely to be a necessary result of matter being exposed to certain well-established physical properties. The article is here:

An article like this obviously has the potential to lead to a lot of emotional arguments, but from anyone who chooses to read it a well-reasoned response would be appreciated. :)

Thanks for the Article. I have seen this concept put forward before. It was Richard Dawkins site but I was unable to relocate it.

In the design William Craig's fine0tuning argument, one premise is: If not chance or necessity then design. This is certainly making a case for necessity.

And I always thought this was funny. Because it seems the more Science moves forward the more it appears like theist conceptions.

Seems to be a bit of vapor ware to me. And the show around it is because secular scientist really wish for such mechanisms to be true. There have been a number of phenomena like Fibonacci sequence and Granular convection to show natural conditions can produce patterns. These patterns are generally fractal, repetitive from one scope to another.

there is a strong tendency in nature for things to find the path of least resistance. Proteins fold in the most efficient manner, lightning courses through a house along a path of least resistance, water droplets roll down a window, ....

This tendency has not been well explained. I think Jeremy England is on to a very important step to open that up. But not abiogenesis.

The rest seems to be trying to apply living characteristics to inanimate objects. Duplication is not reproduction. A game of Reversi is not an example of life. And the complexity of life is not in it's levels of symmetry, like a snow flake. The complexity of life is in the construction of it.

DNA is not an homogenous pattern like a snowflake or the replicating spheres.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

The lipid shell of the cell is asymmetric.

I like the implication because it is good math for advancing the understanding of an interesting observation. it's relation to life I think is sketchier.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 9:45:38 PM
In fairness, I jumped the gun between the closed vs. open systems, but I want my 10k posts lol.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 9:58:45 PM
At 1/3/2015 9:37:46 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
This is dumb, dude.

Meh. It was mostly just a wall of ridiculous pandering. Dude's just supposedly found easy-made building blocks.

One of the realizations most people don't seem to grasp is that life-like behaviors can and do arise from very simplistic chemical interactions, and that life needn't be nearly as complex as today's simplest single-cell organisms. So it's not ridiculous pandering, though I believe the case was over-stated.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 10:03:18 PM
At 1/3/2015 9:45:38 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
In fairness, I jumped the gun between the closed vs. open systems, but I want my 10k posts lol.

Others might focus on quality.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 10:04:02 PM
At 1/3/2015 10:03:18 PM, Beastt wrote:

Others might focus on quality.

I told a fair story regardless. :)
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 10:08:42 PM
This is dumb, dude.

Good one Beastt, on this point I have to agree with you, and if we were to take it a little further, I believe that we could come to some sort of agreement that the life that has evolved so far has the possibility of evolving even further, even to the evolution of a being who can occupy the dimensions of both matter and anti-matter.

The age of our present physical universe gives too little time for these theories of biogenesis to get the job done. The philosophical question that has not been answered in origin-of-life studies is this: How can a universe of mindless matter produce beings with intrinsic ends, self- replication capabilities, and "coded chemistry"? Here we are not dealing with biology, but an entirely different category of problem." [..wikipedia]
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 10:13:15 PM
At 1/3/2015 10:08:42 PM, Gentorev wrote:

This is dumb, dude.

Good one Beastt, on this point I have to agree with you, and if we were to take it a little further, I believe that we could come to some sort of agreement that the life that has evolved so far has the possibility of evolving even further, even to the evolution of a being who can occupy the dimensions of both matter and anti-matter.
What would lead you to believe that anti-matter occupies a different dimension than matter?

The age of our present physical universe gives too little time for these theories of biogenesis to get the job done.
That statement is purely incorrect. Take a look at the video. Jump forward to 6:00 to see what 4 or 5 chemicals in a water solution can do.

The philosophical question that has not been answered in origin-of-life studies is this: How can a universe of mindless matter produce beings with intrinsic ends, self- replication capabilities, and "coded chemistry"? Here we are not dealing with biology, but an entirely different category of problem." [..wikipedia]

The answer to your question is; Chaos Theory - the emergence of order and patterns from apparent chaos, based on the underlying orderly structure of matter.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 10:43:05 PM
At 1/3/2015 9:42:29 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 1/3/2015 8:55:01 PM, Idealist wrote:

Thanks for the Article. I have seen this concept put forward before. It was Richard Dawkins site but I was unable to relocate it.

In the design William Craig's fine0tuning argument, one premise is: If not chance or necessity then design. This is certainly making a case for necessity.

And I always thought this was funny. Because it seems the more Science moves forward the more it appears like theist conceptions.

This is something which I have noticed as well.

Seems to be a bit of vapor ware to me. And the show around it is because secular scientist really wish for such mechanisms to be true. There have been a number of phenomena like Fibonacci sequence and Granular convection to show natural conditions can produce patterns. These patterns are generally fractal, repetitive from one scope to another.

there is a strong tendency in nature for things to find the path of least resistance. Proteins fold in the most efficient manner, lightning courses through a house along a path of least resistance, water droplets roll down a window, ....

This tendency has not been well explained. I think Jeremy England is on to a very important step to open that up. But not abiogenesis.

The rest seems to be trying to apply living characteristics to inanimate objects. Duplication is not reproduction. A game of Reversi is not an example of life. And the complexity of life is not in it's levels of symmetry, like a snow flake. The complexity of life is in the construction of it.

DNA is not an homogenous pattern like a snowflake or the replicating spheres.

The lipid shell of the cell is asymmetric.

I'm glad you pointed these things out. I get so tired of having people try to use the complexity of a snowflake as a way to compete with the complexity of DNA, seemingly not even realizing how clearly it shows what they don't understand.

I like the implication because it is good math for advancing the understanding of an interesting observation. it's relation to life I think is sketchier.

Thank you for a good response. It really gave me some things to consider, even though I already agree with most of it.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 10:49:43 PM
At 1/3/2015 9:13:36 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Either that, or he's proposing some inherent sentience in matter which looks to dissipate energy... I really don't get this article at all. And not because it's going over my head.

Does it remind you of a recent similar proposal which suggested that the universe itself might have not only created itself, but that such occurrence was virtually inevitable?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 10:53:53 PM
At 1/3/2015 10:49:43 PM, Idealist wrote:

Does it remind you of a recent similar proposal which suggested that the universe itself might have not only created itself, but that such occurrence was virtually inevitable?

Not that I'm aware of. That bit was just with trolly reference to his ideas being called 'bold'.

None of this stuff interests me, to be honest. Life will forever be a mystery, no matter how much we try to whittle it down. Infinity will forever lurk behind the curtain. Consciousness will forever remain a singularity.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 10:54:29 PM
This is dumb, dude.

Yes, it is a bit shy of a thoughtful response. So you believe that life is simply an emergent phenomenon bound to occur if all the physical criteria are met? That seems to be a common perception of intelligence - that it will emerge on its own if the computing requirements are met.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 10:56:20 PM
At 1/3/2015 10:13:15 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 1/3/2015 10:08:42 PM, Gentorev wrote:

This is dumb, dude.

What would lead you to believe that anti-matter occupies a different dimension than matter?

The age of our present physical universe gives too little time for these theories of biogenesis to get the job done.
That statement is purely incorrect. Take a look at the video. Jump forward to 6:00 to see what 4 or 5 chemicals in a water solution can do.

The philosophical question that has not been answered in origin-of-life studies is this: How can a universe of mindless matter produce beings with intrinsic ends, self- replication capabilities, and "coded chemistry"? Here we are not dealing with biology, but an entirely different category of problem." [..wikipedia]

The answer to your question is; Chaos Theory - the emergence of order and patterns from apparent chaos, based on the underlying orderly structure of matter.

Martin Hanczyc is talking about human (intelligent chemists) designing life. The techniques they use are expensive, extremely delicate, and intelligently governed. Nearly none of it should infer support to an abiogenesis hypothesis.

Plus that droplet in water. Hanczyc used nitrobenzene oil. He put them into an alkaline solution (pH 12) and inserted a chemical called oleic anhydride, which converts to oleic acid on contact with water. This reaction lowered the pH at the boundary of droplets, creating an uneven surface tension that caused them to move around.

I've seen that same kind of motion from a ballon with a hole in it. A ballon is an example of purposeful dynamic motion akin to life!! wow
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 11:01:10 PM
At 1/3/2015 10:53:53 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Not that I'm aware of. That bit was just with trolly reference to his ideas being called 'bold'.

None of this stuff interests me, to be honest. Life will forever be a mystery, no matter how much we try to whittle it down. Infinity will forever lurk behind the curtain. Consciousness will forever remain a singularity.

These are things I agree with. The concept of eternity is one thing, but the idea that we can conceptualize the enormity of it within our minds is simply not plausible. I'm not sure what you mean by saying that "consciousness will forever remain a singularity." There is more than one way to interpret that, but I do believe that it's probably not possible for us to ever fully comprehend the completeness of our being.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 11:01:15 PM
Existence is, by logical necessity, insensible. No matter how much work you put into telling me I came from such and such a place, I am still a singularity, and there will never be any absolute answer, for all we can even hope to understand is cause and effect, and that stretches on forever. Honestly, I think the man who denies God is daft. Prayer and pragmatism, friends.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 11:02:45 PM
At 1/3/2015 9:37:46 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
This is dumb, dude.

That's an interesting take on the article...
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 11:03:22 PM
This is dumb, dude.

Badger in the religion forum...

*grabs popcorn*
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 11:04:41 PM
At 1/3/2015 11:01:10 PM, Idealist wrote:

These are things I agree with. The concept of eternity is one thing, but the idea that we can conceptualize the enormity of it within our minds is simply not plausible. I'm not sure what you mean by saying that "consciousness will forever remain a singularity." There is more than one way to interpret that, but I do believe that it's probably not possible for us to ever fully comprehend the completeness of our being.

I'll try to explain it then. Consider the possibility for example that this is all but an illusion, that there is only this instant, only you, that all random has aligned just for right now to create the illusion of past, present, future, memory, all these notions of science, of other people, etc., only to scatter again into the eternal nothingness in the next moment......This is the singularity of your mind. These things can never be known to be untrue.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 11:05:07 PM

Dang, you're almost there! lol I think that when you are that close then it's acceptable. :)
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 11:06:02 PM
At 1/3/2015 11:05:07 PM, Idealist wrote:

Dang, you're almost there! lol I think that when you are that close then it's acceptable. :)

lol, cheers mate!
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 11:10:40 PM
At 1/3/2015 11:04:41 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

I'll try to explain it then. Consider the possibility for example that this is all but an illusion, that there is only this instant, only you, that all random has aligned just for right now to create the illusion of past, present, future, memory, all these notions of science, of other people, etc., only to scatter again into the eternal nothingness in the next moment......This is the singularity of your mind. These things can never be known to be untrue.

Oh, okay. I see what you are saying. I've heard people say that before, and it's a very interesting idea. I've always been interested by the proposal that according to Einstein's description of "spacetime" then all time (past, present and future) should exist like space does, all there simultaneously but in different areas of the universe.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 11:10:46 PM

Problem of induction hardcore mode, basically.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 11:12:18 PM
At 1/3/2015 11:10:40 PM, Idealist wrote:

Oh, okay. I see what you are saying. I've heard people say that before, and it's a very interesting idea. I've always been interested by the proposal that according to Einstein's description of "spacetime" then all time (past, present and future) should exist like space does, all there simultaneously but in different areas of the universe.

That's kinda different, but Einstein was indeed a cool f*cking dude.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 11:13:40 PM

In math and physics, a singularity is not exactly it's colloquial use. A singularity is a region of space that can not be represented as points. It is recognized by the region it does not inhabit.

One may say Consciences is not something you can point to, but it is found looking between where you can point?
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2015 11:21:05 PM
At 1/3/2015 11:13:40 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

In math and physics, a singularity is not exactly it's colloquial use. A singularity is a region of space that can not be represented as points. It is recognized by the region it does not inhabit.

One may say Consciences is not something you can point to, but it is found looking between where you can point?

I've heard that basic definition before, but I like the way you put it better.