Jump to topic:

What do you think of the new Pope?

YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 1:15:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I personally like him and feel he's trying to bring Catholicism into the modern world, yet hear him called a false prophet by some Catholics. I was curious how you guys and gals felt about him.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 1:18:45 PM
At 1/4/2015 1:16:37 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I liked him there a couple of years ago I'm pretty sure. How long's he got left in his term?

The Pope serves for life... unless he steps down of course.
TUF, and YYW
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 1:20:47 PM
At 1/4/2015 1:18:45 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
I liked him there a couple of years ago I'm pretty sure. How long's he got left in his term?

Does he not have to retire at 65? What if he gets, like, dementia or something, and wages unholy war on some bunch of people?
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 1:24:37 PM
At 1/4/2015 1:20:47 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 1/4/2015 1:18:45 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Does he not have to retire at 65? What if he gets, like, dementia or something, and wages unholy war on some bunch of people?

Idk. I'm not a Catholic, I just know what I hear and read about him.
TUF, and YYW
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 1:31:51 PM
At 1/4/2015 1:15:21 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
I personally like him and feel he's trying to bring Catholicism into the modern world, yet hear him called a false prophet by some Catholics. I was curious how you guys and gals felt about him.

I don't think he's the false prophet ... but he might be the false prophet http://www.inquisitr.com...
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 2:01:21 PM
Hmm, he's obviously a lot more liberal than some of the other popes. Trying to modernize Catholicism isn't necessarily a good thing, as it could indicate that his motivations are more political than religious.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Impartial
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 2:03:13 PM
At 1/4/2015 2:01:21 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Hmm, he's obviously a lot more liberal than some of the other popes. Trying to modernize Catholicism isn't necessarily a good thing, as it could indicate that his motivations are more political than religious.

The modernisation of religion surely means the destruction of religion. No?
To believe is to know nothing.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 2:12:50 PM
At 1/4/2015 2:03:13 PM, Impartial wrote:

That presents the question to whether a religion truly can be "modernized". Providing that scripture is maintained as an integral part, realistically it's not possible. A religion could only really be considered "modern" if it is new, without any ancient set of fixed beliefs.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Impartial
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 2:23:38 PM
At 1/4/2015 2:12:50 PM, Emilrose wrote:

That presents the question to whether a religion truly can be "modernized". Providing that scripture is maintained as an integral part, realistically it's not possible. A religion could only really be considered "modern" if it is new, without any ancient set of fixed beliefs.

I think that is possible. There are many religions that have died out, as we all know. They were modernised to the point of extinction because their content became obsolete. All current religions will eventually follow suit.
To believe is to know nothing.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 2:53:46 PM
At 1/4/2015 1:15:21 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

I like him, although I believe most things he does are propaganda mixed with personal desires. If he were really a reformist, he would do something really remarkable, as far as it goes, he has done nothing but cheap newspaper headlines.
Rant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 3:26:50 PM
Joe Osteen >Rick Warren > Kenneth Copeland > The Pope >Mystery Babylon > they all add UP! O don't foreget the pope going to Islam and saying Allah is our god TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Mystery Babylon all the way BABY! Enjoy
Rant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 3:29:58 PM
Pope Francis: Church Would Baptize Aliens

In a quirky morning Mass, the pope used a far-out example of little green Martians seeking Jesus to preach about the church"s inclusiveness.

Is Pope Francis willing to go to extremes to fill the pews? Apparently so, if his latest outreach message is an indication.

Speaking on Monday during the homily at his daily morning Mass at the Casa Santa Marta inside Vatican City where he lives, he told his mostly clerical audience that they should keep an open mind to anyone"or anything"seeking God. "If"for example"tomorrow an expedition of Martians came, and some of them came to us, here... Martians, right? Green, with that long nose and big ears, just like children paint them... And one says, "But I want to be baptized!" What would happen?" he asked parishioners. "When the Lord shows us the way, who are we to say, "No, Lord, it is not prudent! No, let"s do it this way...""

One assumes the pope doesn"t actually think an alien ship filled with little green men hoping to convert to Catholicism will land in St. Peter"s Square any time soon, and Vatican Radio quickly interpreted the message as one about "inclusion" lest anyone start worrying about the Holy Father"s faculties. Apparently the Pope"s message about Martians meant, "Who are we to close the doors to the Holy Spirit?"
Rant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 3:32:24 PM
I will have to do a post on Nephilims and what the bible has to say about them {I see the pope does not read the bible} Enjoy.
Rant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 3:55:03 PM
As Obama goes to meet Pope Francis, I"m thinking of a different meeting. This one happened in Tucson, Arizona and was co-hosted by the Vatican Observatory and the University of Arizona"s Steward Observatory. This meeting was a conference called, The Search for Life Beyond the Solar System: Exoplanets, Biosignature & Instruments. The goal of this meeting was to talk about" to" talk" about" "wait.

The Vatican is involved in the search for extraterrestrial life? As in aliens?

The Roman Catholic Church has an observatory" on Mount Graham" spending oodles of money each year" for the sole purpose of looking for" alien life. The Vatican is looking for" Alien" life.

Is it just me, or is that the most bizarre statement that you"ve ever heard?
That why I call the catholics a cult They don't understand bible prophecy >the rapture > the second coming >Israel or anything else of the last days >if the pope cant get it right who in the catholic church can??????
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 4:10:47 PM
At 1/4/2015 2:12:50 PM, Emilrose wrote:

The Catholic Church has 'modernized' plenty of times in the path. It has a pretty rich history of a reforming movement, which actually saved the church following certain chaotic times. The alliance between Constantine and the Papacy against the Lombards, Gregory the VII's ecclesiastical reforms, Leo IX's reformation of the Church, Aquinas reconciliation of Aristotle and the Western Christian tradition, leading to the advent of Scholasticism, Erasmus's humanism, the Avignon Papacy and Western Schism, ultimately resolved by the Council of Constance, and the Counter-Reformation lead by St. Ignatius. Hell, if the church had been capable of reforming itself and extracting it's interest from Italian power politics during the onset of the Reformation, it could have held on to its Northern holdings and prevented the excision of the Church from public life. Pope Adrian VI, if he had lived, may have been able to accomplish these reforms in a moderate, gradual manner and preserved the unity of the Church. All of these movements were opposed by Conservative critics, and had those critics been heeded then the Church would have long ago faded into irrelevance. The man who 'stands athwart history, yelling stop, at a time when no one is inclined to do so', is the man who dooms his cause to suicide should it heed him.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -