Jump to topic:

CFZ Multiple Eyewitnesses

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 8:53:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
A claim of having seen a UFO is an outrageous claim, correct? That is, no proof is left behind, the eyewitnesses has the burden of proving something so extremely unlikely happened.
But if 300 witnesses claimed to have seen a UFO, then the likelihood that they saw something increases.

I will not delve into a deeper discussion than that on this thread. Rather, simply answer the question.
Thank you.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 11:27:47 PM
At 1/4/2015 8:53:45 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
But if 300 witnesses claimed to have seen a UFO, then the likelihood that they saw something increases.

well, that really depends...

are they paid up scientologists?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 12:40:52 AM
A claim of having seen a UFO is an outrageous claim, correct? That is, no proof is left behind, the eyewitnesses has the burden of proving something so extremely unlikely happened.

Actually, claiming to see a UFO is not necessarily unreasonable. I'm sure most people have seen an object in the air they could not identify. However, thinking that object (that be cannot identified) is piloted by little green men is far fetched. Having more people unable to determine what it is does not make a good argument for it being something specific.

I will not delve into a deeper discussion than that on this thread. Rather, simply answer the question.
Thank you.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 12:51:27 AM
Yes, they probably saw SOMETHING. And they probably tried to explain whatever they saw by framing it in the context of something they already believe.

Thank you.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 1:26:52 AM

Thank you.

I live very close to a military base. Not too long ago they gave a press release that there would be objects seemingly hovering over the base as they were testing a new aircraft and not to be alarmed. It seems that in the past they have received hundreds of calls reporting an alien invasion. As with most mysteries, there is usually a logical explanation for UFOs.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 2:42:24 AM

Thank you.

In Mexico, I joined a group of about 500 people staring at a leaky water tower. The majority claimed they could see an image of Guadalupe (a religious icon). I mingled with the crowd, and learned that not everyone saw the image in the same way; it was facing left, it was facing right, it was looking to Heaven, it was looking down upon the people. I found three, beside myself, though I'm sure there were more, that simply saw a leaky water tower, and nothing else.

Was I left out of the vision, and about 500 people actually saw what they believed they saw? Or is it possible that people often see what they want to see?
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:48:11 AM
At 1/5/2015 12:40:52 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
Actually, claiming to see a UFO is not necessarily unreasonable. I'm sure most people have seen an object in the air they could not identify. However, thinking that object (that be cannot identified) is piloted by little green men is far fetched. Having more people unable to determine what it is does not make a good argument for it being something specific.
Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Not understanding what was seen, and claiming something fantastical about it, is like attributing presents under the tree (or anything else that happened while you were asleep) to Santa Clause.

The nail has been firmly introduced to the hammer.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...