Jump to topic:

Atheism {No one seems to follow it }

Rant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 7:50:39 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
When my friend told me that ouija boards were going to be this Christmas' sell-out item my initial reaction was that this was another "urban myth" best treated with a healthy dose of skepticism. Who, in an age of the Internet, online gaming, Facebook and 3-D televisions would want to move a pointer around on a board in the hope of getting messages from the spirit world? The astonishing answer is, quite a lot of people!
The story turns out to be true. Promoted by an apparently truly dreadful film (sponsored by Hasbro, the toy firm that holds the rights to ouija boards), sales of the "20+ boards have gone through the roof. And it's not just me who is mystified. As Simon Osborne wrote in the Independent, "What better time to talk to dead people for fun than the festival to celebrate the birth of Jesus?"
Three observations. First, this is yet another phenomenon reminding us that, for all the bold claims of the new atheism that the world is moving into an age of rational thought in which every form of the supernatural is rejected, the reality "on the ground" is very different. The hunger for the supernatural, the paranormal and the mystical remains intense and almost universal. Indeed, it seems as if the more a "universe without God" is talked up, the more people flock to the supernatural. If atheism is true, then it's very odd that no one seems to follow it.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 7:55:46 AM
At 1/5/2015 7:50:39 AM, Rant wrote:
When my friend told me that ouija boards were going to be this Christmas' sell-out item my initial reaction was that this was another "urban myth" best treated with a healthy dose of skepticism. Who, in an age of the Internet, online gaming, Facebook and 3-D televisions would want to move a pointer around on a board in the hope of getting messages from the spirit world? The astonishing answer is, quite a lot of people!
The story turns out to be true. Promoted by an apparently truly dreadful film (sponsored by Hasbro, the toy firm that holds the rights to ouija boards), sales of the "20+ boards have gone through the roof. And it's not just me who is mystified. As Simon Osborne wrote in the Independent, "What better time to talk to dead people for fun than the festival to celebrate the birth of Jesus?"
Three observations. First, this is yet another phenomenon reminding us that, for all the bold claims of the new atheism that the world is moving into an age of rational thought in which every form of the supernatural is rejected, the reality "on the ground" is very different. The hunger for the supernatural, the paranormal and the mystical remains intense and almost universal. Indeed, it seems as if the more a "universe without God" is talked up, the more people flock to the supernatural. If atheism is true, then it's very odd that no one seems to follow it.

We don't have followers, we only have independents. It ain't the atheists buying the stupid boards so I guess it must be the godbotherers. Go figure.
Impartial
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 10:08:25 AM
At 1/5/2015 7:50:39 AM, Rant wrote:

A suspiciously odd conclusion, I must say.

I think atheism is basically science. It sticks two fingers up at the obsolete and nonsensical explanations about why the universe is as it is by actually working hard to understand things. Trust me, science has a far higher following than some board game.
To believe is to know nothing.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 12:06:29 PM
When some Ouija board user comes up with the cure for cancer or a way to regenerate lost limbs before medical research, maybe I'll give it some credence. Children like to play with mysterious things. I'm a grown up.