Jump to topic:

Mixed faith marriages

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 3:07:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
My parents were not really a mixed faith marriage. A generation ago they would've been considered so, but society doesn't consider a Catholic-Protestant pairing to be mixed anymore.

Was anyone raised in a mixed faith household/in a mixed religion marriage? If you were, what was it like? Did it cause lots of family drama?

Just curious because it's something that's surprisingly rare where I live.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 4:19:51 PM
Its a pretty big deal in some families i know. But it basically depends on the faith. I have a jain friend whose boyfriend is muslim, and they entered the relationship with an understanding that nothing could happen in future. The guys parents are fine with the girl, the girls have threatened disowning.

Some faiths work well together, some not because of the extreme cultural shift that's expected. Bad sample, but almost all the inter faith marriages in my circle have ended badly. Mostly because of the family disapproval and consequent pressure.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 4:22:33 PM
Interesting topic.

My step-dad was Greek orthodox and my mom was Catholic. They went to each other's services. It wasn't a big deal.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 4:25:28 PM
At 1/5/2015 3:07:56 PM, thett3 wrote:
My parents were not really a mixed faith marriage. A generation ago they would've been considered so, but society doesn't consider a Catholic-Protestant pairing to be mixed anymore.

Was anyone raised in a mixed faith household/in a mixed religion marriage? If you were, what was it like? Did it cause lots of family drama?

My Mum was Protestant and Dad was Catholic, but it didn't really matter much. My family would be against me dating someone who is Islamic or Buddhist, but mostly because I believe that their cultures are so alien to them.

I don't think I have dated an atheist yet, all have been Christians.... Mmm....

As for inter-faith marriage, I don't really know. Perhaps the fsct ai don't know of many is evidence that they generally do not work/happen.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 9:39:07 PM
At 1/5/2015 4:25:28 PM, Envisage wrote:

My Mum was Protestant and Dad was Catholic, but it didn't really matter much. My family would be against me dating someone who is Islamic or Buddhist, but mostly because I believe that their cultures are so alien to them.

As for inter-faith marriage, I don't really know. Perhaps the fsct ai don't know of many is evidence that they generally do not work/happen.

My mother was catholic and my father an atheist. They never argued about religion. I went to mass with my mother a few times but I've been an atheist since I was about 12, blame my hero Carl Sagan. My husband is Catholic. I avoid talking to him about my beliefs.

So anyway, the point I was making is in regards to your comment about never dating an atheist before/yet. I don't think it would really pose a problem. Atheists are rather laid back.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 9:42:22 PM
At 1/5/2015 9:39:07 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

My mother was catholic and my father an atheist. They never argued about religion. I went to mass with my mother a few times but I've been an atheist since I was about 12, blame my hero Carl Sagan. My husband is Catholic. I avoid talking to him about my beliefs.

So anyway, the point I was making is in regards to your comment about never dating an atheist before/yet. I don't think it would really pose a problem. Atheists are rather laid back.
I haven't heard the term "mixed faith marriage" for over 40yrs, how anachronistic is that? Is it still referenced in the USA?
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 9:46:02 PM
At 1/5/2015 9:42:22 PM, bulproof wrote:

I haven't heard the term "mixed faith marriage" for over 40yrs, how anachronistic is that? Is it still referenced in the USA?

I guess so. America is so backwards in some ways. It doesn't matter to me. I guess because I don't believe in any religion.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 9:50:11 PM
At 1/5/2015 9:46:02 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

I guess so. America is so backwards in some ways. It doesn't matter to me. I guess because I don't believe in any religion.

From the outside it seems Americans are incredibly insular, they seem to think that the world finishes at their shores. Just an outsiders opinion.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 9:53:06 PM
At 1/5/2015 9:50:11 PM, bulproof wrote:

From the outside it seems Americans are incredibly insular, they seem to think that the world finishes at their shores. Just an outsiders opinion.

I don't think that's the general attitude, but there is something of a separation from the rest of the world. Americans have an idea that to be born anywhere else is unfortunate. I don't think that. I wouldn't mind moving away.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 10:08:21 PM

Well, my wife is an atheist. When we met, she was a devout Christian and I was an atheist. That has reversed. We are geographically separated due to military service but when we are together the kids are given their own decisions about whether to come to church with Dad or not. More often than not they do, simply because we tell them that having knowledge of different faiths and cultures is a good thing. My wife attends atheist 'conventions' on occasions and both my wife and I encourage the kids to attend because ... exposure to different cultures and points of views are a good thing.

The kids get to see the time constraints and burdens of service projects and duties to the church, and they get to see the reality of being good and honorable people regardless of their faith choice.

They also get to see that genuine love and affection trumps all else. They get to see a man and woman who are completely and totally in love with one another.

My actual faith? I keep that a secret because far too many trolls are vindictive and use it as a means to rip people apart.

Lets just say its like Catholic Priest and atheist being married. A Jehovah's Witness and an atheist being married. It could never work in the kids of many Christians and atheists.

But it does, because my wife and I love each other fiercely.

For the troll of atheism who have found their constant prattle that I am 'bigoted' toward atheists ignored by the moderation team? That would be because I shared this little reality with them over a year ago. The protestations thus fall on deaf ears, a bit like accusing a white man married to a black woman of being a racist. Its that dumb.

So let me tell you, when my wife reads Envy on this forum ... she openly acknowledges that this is what atheism is. When she see's stalker boy continuously insulting people and dismissing them as godbotherers? Well, she calls them trolls. So do I. real atheists and Christians agree on what trolling is.

and the worst offenders? Those who have spent a year painting me as a blind bigot again atheism? They will of course deny this - but its the truth. My wife and I both think the worst trolls of atheism are weak, uneducated, cruel, and simply devoid of honor.

That is why we take great pains to ensure our children are exposed to both real religious people and REAL ATHEISTS. The nihilistic trolls of atheists are not real atheists. My wife is.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 10:42:24 PM
At 1/5/2015 9:50:11 PM, bulproof wrote:

Strange I spent Sunday night drinking and having a ball with 2 men from central Africa, half the conversation with them was in french, then we teamed up and played scotch doubles in billiards against 2 guys from Wisconsin. This was in central Texas.

I think stupidity has no boundaries and people all over the world exhibit insular attitudes.