Jump to topic:

The Jewish Messiah

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 7:57:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Did he ever come? Or are those who follow the Jewish religion still waiting on the arrival of their messiah?

I don't know much about Judaism, so if you are well-versed in such knowledge please enlighten me!
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 7:59:58 PM
At 1/5/2015 7:57:37 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Did he ever come? Or are those who follow the Jewish religion still waiting on the arrival of their messiah?

I don't know much about Judaism, so if you are well-versed in such knowledge please enlighten me!

Their messiah is Dajjal.
However Dajjal will emulate Jesus, Imam 12th of Shiah as well.
Jayhawker_Soule
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 8:33:08 PM
For many of us, neither.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 8:59:23 PM
From wikipedia:

In 1999, the Central Conference of American Rabbis, the official body of American Reform rabbis, authored "A Statement of Principles for Reform Judaism", meant to describe and define the spiritual state of modern Reform Judaism. In a commentary appended to the platform, it states:
Messianic age: The 1885 Pittsburgh Platform rejected the traditional Jewish hope for an heir of King David to arise when the world was ready to acknowledge that heir as the one anointed (the original meaning of mashiach, anglicized into "messiah"). This figure would rule in God's name over all people and ultimately usher in a time of justice, truth and peace. In the Avot, the first prayer of the Amidah, Reformers changed the prayerbook's hope for a go-el, a redeemer, to geulah, redemption. Originally this idea reflected the views of Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel and the French Positivist philosophers that society was growing ever more enlightened. The cataclysmic events of the first half of the 20th Century smashed that belief, and most Reform Jews saw the messianic age as a time that would probably be far off. Still, we renew our hope for it when we express the belief that Shabbat is mey-eyn olam ha-ba, a sampler of the world to come, when we sing about Elijah, herald of the messiah, when Havdalah brings Shabbat to a close, when we open the door for Elijah late in the Pesach Seder, and when we express the hope in the first paragraph of the Kaddish that God's sovereignty will be established in our days.[16]

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Jayhawker_Soule
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 9:10:38 PM
At 1/5/2015 8:59:23 PM, dee-em wrote:
From wikipedia:

In 1999, the Central Conference of American Rabbis, the official body of American Reform rabbis, authored "A Statement of Principles for Reform Judaism", meant to describe and define the spiritual state of modern Reform Judaism. In a commentary appended to the platform, it states:
Messianic age: The 1885 Pittsburgh Platform rejected the traditional Jewish hope for an heir of King David to arise when the world was ready to acknowledge that heir as the one anointed (the original meaning of mashiach, anglicized into "messiah"). This figure would rule in God's name over all people and ultimately usher in a time of justice, truth and peace. In the Avot, the first prayer of the Amidah, Reformers changed the prayerbook's hope for a go-el, a redeemer, to geulah, redemption. Originally this idea reflected the views of Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel and the French Positivist philosophers that society was growing ever more enlightened. The cataclysmic events of the first half of the 20th Century smashed that belief, and most Reform Jews saw the messianic age as a time that would probably be far off. Still, we renew our hope for it when we express the belief that Shabbat is mey-eyn olam ha-ba, a sampler of the world to come, when we sing about Elijah, herald of the messiah, when Havdalah brings Shabbat to a close, when we open the door for Elijah late in the Pesach Seder, and when we express the hope in the first paragraph of the Kaddish that God's sovereignty will be established in our days.[16]

Precisely. Well done.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 9:31:23 PM

In Jewish teaching, the Messiah has yet to come. That is where the split occured between Judaism and Christianity. Christians believe that Jesus fulfilled Messiah prophecy, and Jews (save for Jews for Jesus, a subset of Christians who follow more Jewish teachings and celebrate many Jewish holidays) do not.

There are, however, some outside the Jewish faith who believe the prophecies fulfilled by Jesus, were instead referencing Sampson, though I don't know much about that.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 9:38:28 PM
From wikipedia:

While Reform(and likely reconstructionist) Jews do not uphold Messiah tradition, there are many more religious Jews who do. Likely, however, you will not often run into these more religious Jews unless you live in an area where there are a lot of them. The big question for someone who just wants to know about the Jews they meet on the streets, is where Conservatives, Reform and Reconstructionist stand. Conservatives have no defined position on the issue, however, they have in the past followed Reform and Reconstructionist on several issues, though later. It is possible they will eventually move to an anti-messianic stance, though perhaps due to a loss of reform Jews in the congregations, they may become more radical.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 9:47:12 PM
At 1/5/2015 7:59:58 PM, uncung wrote:

Their messiah is Dajjal.
However Dajjal will emulate Jesus, Imam 12th of Shiah as well.

What? Lol, you gotta keep in mind I don't know much of anything regarding the Jewish religion or beliefs. Who is Dajjal, and who is Imam 12th of Shiah?
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 9:47:44 PM
At 1/5/2015 8:33:08 PM, Jayhawker_Soule wrote:
For many of us, neither.

So, no he hasn't come yet, and no, they aren't waiting on him anymore?
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 9:48:54 PM
From wikipedia:

Okay, thank you for sharing that. If I'm correct it's basically saying that they are still waiting on one to come, but that they don't believe it'll happen for a long time?
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 9:51:31 PM
http://www.jewfaq.org...
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 9:58:55 PM
At 1/5/2015 9:48:54 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
From wikipedia:

Okay, thank you for sharing that. If I'm correct it's basically saying that they are still waiting on one to come, but that they don't believe it'll happen for a long time?

The question interested me and I researched it but I don't hold any special knowledge. The answer to your question is yes, but see post #7.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2015 10:57:39 PM

Elijah is the promised Messiah of the Jew, and he is yet to come.
It was the custom of the Jews, when sitting down to eat of the Passover meal, they would sent the youngest and most innocent of the household to open the door and allow the spiritual Elijah to enter.

It is written that John the Baptist came in the power of Elijah.

Mark 9: 11; The disciples ask Jesus: "Why do the teachers of the Law say that Elijah has to come first? His answer was: "Elijah is indeed coming first to get everything ready (Jesus speaks in the future tense, Elijah is yet to come} Jesus continues: Yet why do the scriptures say that "The Son of Man" must suffer much and be rejected? I tell you however, that Elijah has already come, and that people treated him as they pleased, as the scriptures say about him."

And so, according to Jesus, it is Elijah, who is yet to come of who the scriptures refer to as the Son of Man.

From the words of righteous Enoch the Prophet, whose words are quoted verbatim in the canon of the christians church: 37: 4; "Til the present day such wisdom has never been given by the Lord of Spirits as I have received according to my insight, according to the good pleasure of the Lord of Spirits by whom the lot of eternal life has been given to me.

This is verified in Genesis 5: 23-24; and Hebrew 11: 5; from the biblical canon established by the Universal church of Emperor Constantine.

Sandalphon is an archangel in Jewish and Christian writings. Sandalphon figures prominently in the mystical literary traditions of Rabbinic Judaism and early Christianity, notably in the Midrash, Talmud, and Kabbalah.

The Zohar calls Metatron "the Youth" and identifies him as the angel that led the people of Israel through the wilderness after their exodus from Egypt, and describes him as a heavenly priest.

Metatron is also mentioned in the Pseudepigrapha, most prominently in the Hebrew Book of Enoch (also called Third Enoch), in which his grand title, "the lesser YHVH" resurfaces. According to Johann Eisenmenger, Metatron transmits the daily orders of God to the angels Gabriel and Sammael. Metatron is often identified as being the twin brother to Sandalphon, who is said to have been the prophet Elijah.

Sandalphron and Metatron are post human angels, Metatron is the name that was given to Enoch after he had been anointed by the MOST HIGH in the creation, as his successor and translated from a body of corruptible matter into a glorious body of incorruptible light, and Sandalphron, who is erroneously thought by some to be Metatron"s twin, is in fact Elijah"s angelic name after he was carried up to Enoch and was also transfigured.

The coming Elijah/Sandalphron, the Jewish Messiah, is not the twin of our heavenly Father Enoch/Metatron, but he is the duplication of our heavenly Father Enoch, who revealed himself to us through his earthly host body, 'the man Jesus' and who gives his immortal body of glorious and brilliant light, in order that we might live.

The great tribulation that is to occur immediately before the thousand year rule of Christ the anointed one, is said to be the greatest tribulation that the earth has ever seen or will ever see, and in Malachi 4: 5; it is written: Before the great and terrible day of the Lord comes, I will send to you the prophet Elijah, Etc.

And in Malachi, 3: 1; we read: The Almighty answers, "I will send my messenger to prepare the way for me. Then the Lord you are looking for will suddenly come to his Temple.The messenger you long to see will come and proclaim my covenant."

(2) But who will be able to endure the day when he comes? Who will be able to survive when he appears> etc.
The tongue, the sharp two edged sword that divides the spirit from the soul.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 6:31:33 AM
No. We are still waiting for the Messiah. There's a number of Messianic prophecies that outline the criteria for Messiah (such as rebuilding of the temple, defeat to Israel's enemies), all of these have to be fulfilled until Messiah can be identified. Generally, there is differing opinions as to when he will come, some think it will be when Israel needs him the least (if it repented for a single day.) Others think it will be when Israel is at war, or is guilty of losing its faith and not following G-d; which is probably the most logical time for there to be a Messiah.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 6:38:31 AM
At 1/5/2015 9:38:28 PM, Lordgrae wrote:
From wikipedia:

While Reform(and likely reconstructionist) Jews do not uphold Messiah tradition, there are many more religious Jews who do. Likely, however, you will not often run into these more religious Jews unless you live in an area where there are a lot of them. The big question for someone who just wants to know about the Jews they meet on the streets, is where Conservatives, Reform and Reconstructionist stand. Conservatives have no defined position on the issue, however, they have in the past followed Reform and Reconstructionist on several issues, though later. It is possible they will eventually move to an anti-messianic stance, though perhaps due to a loss of reform Jews in the congregations, they may become more radical.

Yep. Reform Judaism is mainly prominent in the U.S, not really Europe or the East. Majority of practicing Jews in Israel are either traditional or Orthodox. There's a few differences in Sefardi and Ashkenazi Jewish beliefs, as well. The former tends to be more traditional as it wasn't really exposed to western culture.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 6:39:22 AM
And mother duck said quack, quack, quack and all of the little ducks came back.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 6:48:17 AM
God has changed everything as Judaism lost the original Celestial Torah and the true Messiah conception it held and substituted their earthly Torah written by themselves instead of in God's Sign Language, the heavenly Script of astrological meanings attached to celestial bodies and their movements through the year and years. So everything in Judaism and Pauline Christianity following Judaism is spiritual voided. The Messiah is coming but She is arriving in feminine form as the Godhead is being reestablished as the Holy Family It always was, the Elohim. The rule of patriarchal religions is over now, and those of us with spiritual sight have long recognized the need for Divine Feminine energy to be restored on earth in human minds. Patriarchy has gotten to this point of continuous warfare and ruination of the planet by males out of control, carrying the animal territorial conquest and control behavioral pattern into advancing civilization where it cannot be, the weapons alone forbidding human social structuring around male territorial lines. Only real Christianity can overturn the otherwise all consuming male territorial battling behavior, but Pauline Christianity doesn't know anything about this as it too follows the Priesthood territorial conquest and control agenda.

I teach Celestial Torah Christianity and am a recognized prophesy bearer in four religious traditions: Judaism, Christianity, Native American prophesy, and true Islam. Only a prophesy bearer in the Jewish line can determine when, where and how the Messiah comes to be on earth. All ancient Scripts were compromised long ago for patriarchal power reasons and are spiritual invalid as not a one of them recognizes the need for Her arrival to offset male ruleship gone bad because too much yang for too many centuries.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 7:42:49 AM
At 1/6/2015 6:48:17 AM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:
God has changed everything as Judaism lost the original Celestial Torah and the true Messiah conception it held and substituted their earthly Torah written by themselves instead of in God's Sign Language, the heavenly Script of astrological meanings attached to celestial bodies and their movements through the year and years. So everything in Judaism and Pauline Christianity following Judaism is spiritual voided. The Messiah is coming but She is arriving in feminine form as the Godhead is being reestablished as the Holy Family It always was, the Elohim. The rule of patriarchal religions is over now, and those of us with spiritual sight have long recognized the need for Divine Feminine energy to be restored on earth in human minds. Patriarchy has gotten to this point of continuous warfare and ruination of the planet by males out of control, carrying the animal territorial conquest and control behavioral pattern into advancing civilization where it cannot be, the weapons alone forbidding human social structuring around male territorial lines. Only real Christianity can overturn the otherwise all consuming male territorial battling behavior, but Pauline Christianity doesn't know anything about this as it too follows the Priesthood territorial conquest and control agenda.

I teach Celestial Torah Christianity and am a recognized prophesy bearer in four religious traditions: Judaism, Christianity, Native American prophesy, and true Islam. Only a prophesy bearer in the Jewish line can determine when, where and how the Messiah comes to be on earth. All ancient Scripts were compromised long ago for patriarchal power reasons and are spiritual invalid as not a one of them recognizes the need for Her arrival to offset male ruleship gone bad because too much yang for too many centuries.

Hmm, is any of this actually based on biblical teaching? It's certainly not when looking at the Torah and Tanakh. The Messiah is outlined as a male, who will be from the line of King David. I'd point out that G-d has changed nothing concerning the Torah and the commandments as given to Moshe. One of the fundamental Jewish principles is that it will not be altered.

TrueScotsman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 7:56:22 AM

Messiah means the "anointed one," and is about the return of Israel's King and the establishment of the Kingdom of God. In Jesus' time, the Jews were under Roman occupation and they expected the Messiah to be a military leader who would overthrow the Roman government and remove them from Israel, whereupon he would setup his throne over Israel and they would enter the Messianic age.

There were actually a few men that rose up among the Jews and were thought to perhaps be the Messiah, Theudas and Judas the Galilean are a couple worth mentioning. However, these all died, including Jesus of course but Jesus was the only one whose followers really remained and spread.

Much of Christian New Testament is about this issue, not really if Jesus is God, that's not the issue. Rather, is Jesus the promised Messiah, and the clash of Israel's expectations and Jesus' stated mission.
Jayhawker_Soule
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 8:03:06 AM
At 1/6/2015 7:42:49 AM, Emilrose wrote:

Hmm, is any of this actually based on biblical teaching? It's certainly not when looking at the Torah and Tanakh. The Messiah is outlined as a male, who will be from the line of King David. I'd point out that G-d has changed nothing concerning the Torah and the commandments as given to Moshe. One of the fundamental Jewish principles is that it will not be altered.

Are you seriously anticipating a coherent dialogue with this self-proclaimed "recognized prophesy bearer"?
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 8:11:34 AM
At 1/6/2015 8:03:06 AM, Jayhawker_Soule wrote:

Are you seriously anticipating a coherent dialogue with this self-proclaimed "recognized prophesy bearer"?

Judging from what they've written, probably not. Just thought I'd point out the lack of biblical source and the fact that the Torah is everlasting and cannot be changed. Evidently he/she is one of those that rely on personal interpretation rather than what G-d actually teaches.

That claim pretty much says everything.

Jayhawker_Soule
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 8:16:26 AM
At 1/6/2015 8:11:34 AM, Emilrose wrote:

Judging from what they've written, probably not. Just thought I'd point out the lack of biblical source and the fact that the Torah is everlasting and cannot be changed. Evidently he/she is one of those that rely on personal interpretation rather than what G-d actually teaches.

See Fixing God's Torah at http://www.oxfordscholarship.com...
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 8:16:53 AM
At 1/6/2015 7:01:12 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

Are you familiar with the user BornofGod?

Brothers.... must have been a schism in the family.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 8:23:12 AM

Two words. Get help.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 8:24:32 AM
At 1/6/2015 8:16:26 AM, Jayhawker_Soule wrote:
At 1/6/2015 8:11:34 AM, Emilrose wrote:

See Fixing God's Torah at http://www.oxfordscholarship.com...

The Torah is essentially the commandments as given by G-d to Moshe, something that never be changed or open to new interpretations. The fact they are G-d 's laws is the very reason why.

Jayhawker_Soule
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 8:37:41 AM
The Torah is essentially the commandments as given by G-d to Moshe, something that never be changed or open to new interpretations.

Have you studied Talmud?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 9:06:01 AM
Isaiah prophesied 2 messiahs. One was the suffering saviour and the other the conquering king. The Jews crucified the first by putting Jesus to death. Now God has no choice but to send them the conquering king as promised.
Christians picked up the scraps thrown by the Jews and embraced Jesus. So they have no options left. And that is why Christians are so vigorously defending their choice. Where as the Jews and Muslims have kept their options open.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 9:51:26 AM
At 1/6/2015 8:37:41 AM, Jayhawker_Soule wrote:
The Torah is essentially the commandments as given by G-d to Moshe, something that never be changed or open to new interpretations.

Have you studied Talmud?

Yep.

Jayhawker_Soule
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 10:17:41 AM
At 1/6/2015 9:51:26 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 1/6/2015 8:37:41 AM, Jayhawker_Soule wrote:

Have you studied Talmud?

Yep.

I find that surprising.