Jump to topic:

The Prudent Ignores an Insult

TrueScotsman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 8:47:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Given that we have been talking about improving the Religion forum, I thought it appropriate to share a little proverb that applies to our current struggles. I think whatever ideology or belief you subscribe to, you can find wisdom in this proverb.

The vexation of a fool is known at once, but the prudent ignores an insult. Proverbs 12:16 (ESV)

This is personally something I have been working on, and is an extremely valuable lesson for participating on the internet.

When we are insulted, it seems almost natural and justified to get angry and choose to respond and retaliate. When we are asked why we insulted the other person, it is easy to simply appeal back to their initial insult and claim that they started it.

Notice that it is the prudent man who ignores an insult. What makes a man prudent? A prudent man is sensible and gives thought to the future. Now, if we examine what would happen if we retaliate to an insult, it seems quite obvious that no good can come of such an exchange. Why then do we keep responding?

I think that this is a valuable lesson for us all to take on and implement on this site, to be prudent and ignore insults and attacks.

Best Regards,
TrueScotsman
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 8:59:38 AM
And it's the ignorant man who considers the truth an insult.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 11:10:30 AM
At 1/6/2015 8:47:18 AM, TrueScotsman wrote:
The vexation of a fool is known at once, but the prudent ignores an insult. Proverbs 12:16 (ESV)
Good one to remember.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 11:11:37 AM
And it's the ignorant man who considers the truth an insult.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 11:14:49 AM
At 1/6/2015 8:47:18 AM, TrueScotsman wrote:
Given that we have been talking about improving the Religion forum, I thought it appropriate to share a little proverb that applies to our current struggles. I think whatever ideology or belief you subscribe to, you can find wisdom in this proverb.

This is personally something I have been working on, and is an extremely valuable lesson for participating on the internet.

When we are insulted, it seems almost natural and justified to get angry and choose to respond and retaliate. When we are asked why we insulted the other person, it is easy to simply appeal back to their initial insult and claim that they started it.

Notice that it is the prudent man who ignores an insult. What makes a man prudent? A prudent man is sensible and gives thought to the future. Now, if we examine what would happen if we retaliate to an insult, it seems quite obvious that no good can come of such an exchange. Why then do we keep responding?

I think that this is a valuable lesson for us all to take on and implement on this site, to be prudent and ignore insults and attacks.

Best Regards,
TrueScotsman

Are you trying to insult me?! How dare you! I'm so angry and will retaliate! Rababajsrjsyhw tywwrt jghfg hsgh y wrthrt rgsdfg dfgd

Sig change