Jump to topic:

The Bible: Non-fiction vs. Fiction

TheAnonymousTipster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 12:54:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Yeah, this is a pretty atheistic topic straight off the bat, but I thought it'd be fun...

You own a library full of books and you have two sections. Non-fiction and fiction. The Bible is known to contain at least some historical facts*, but on the other hand, the other books concerning gods, such as comics and mythology are placed in the fiction section, and greek mythology in particular also makes fiction out of real historical events and natural occurrences...

Would one not expect to find the Bible right next to Homer's Odyssey, or should it be the only book in the non-fiction section? What do you then do when you've got to decide where the Qur'an belongs? The information in both books result in confliction, but you might run against some friction by placing it under non-fiction (dope rhymes intended).

And really how much more believable is the Bible than Homer's Odyssey? They arguably both can't be disproven (not by religions own logic, anyway).

What's more important, accuracy and correctness or meeting people's expectations?
Jayhawker_Soule
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 3:54:06 PM
At 1/6/2015 12:54:00 PM, TheAnonymousTipster wrote:
Yeah, this is a pretty atheistic topic straight off the bat, but I thought it'd be fun...

You own a library full of books and you have two sections. Non-fiction and fiction. The Bible is known to contain at least some historical facts*, but on the other hand, the other books concerning gods, such as comics and mythology are placed in the fiction section, and greek mythology in particular also makes fiction out of real historical events and natural occurrences...

Would one not expect to find the Bible right next to Homer's Odyssey, or should it be the only book in the non-fiction section? What do you then do when you've got to decide where the Qur'an belongs? The information in both books result in confliction, but you might run against some friction by placing it under non-fiction (dope rhymes intended).

And really how much more believable is the Bible than Homer's Odyssey? They arguably both can't be disproven (not by religions own logic, anyway).

What's more important, accuracy and correctness or meeting people's expectations?

I do not know when you've last been to library, but do you recall whether the philosophy books were listed under fiction or nonfiction? Or, perhaps, the library has a more nuanced and intellectually mature structure.
Jayhawker_Soule
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 12:39:18 PM
At 1/7/2015 12:14:48 PM, TheAnonymousTipster wrote:
Obviously this is a hypothetical library, with only two sections, I thought I'd explained that.

Where would you put Sarte and Confucius?
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 12:45:33 PM
I'd put it in the fiction section, even if some of it is historical fiction. The line between fiction and non-fiction in the library, is not supposed to be decided by if someone thinks a book teaches good things, if that was the determinant, X-Men books would generally go into the non-fiction section.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
brandon88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2015 1:11:03 PM
At 1/6/2015 12:54:00 PM, TheAnonymousTipster wrote:

It belongs in the trash.