Jump to topic:

The God of Spinoza

Anacharsis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 8:09:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Albert Einstein is purported to have said when asked if he believed in God that he believed in the God of Spinoza. Does anyone here espouse such a belief? What about Spinoza's arguments lead you to this position?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 10:23:33 PM
The God of Spinoza is just the Panentheist God (very similar to the Pantheist God). I at one point was a Pantheist, but I began questioning it and only hold to that position lightly.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 11:25:34 PM
At 6/14/2010 10:23:33 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The God of Spinoza is just the Panentheist God (very similar to the Pantheist God). I at one point was a Pantheist, but I began questioning it and only hold to that position lightly.

Good :).
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 2:54:38 AM
At 6/14/2010 8:09:18 PM, Anacharsis wrote:
Albert Einstein is purported to have said when asked if he believed in God that he believed in the God of Spinoza. Does anyone here espouse such a belief? What about Spinoza's arguments lead you to this position?

My Christopher Hitchens impression consists entirely of me saying " SpiNOZA.. " in a slightly nasal Oxford drawl.

It's great, you should see it some time. Honest it is.
The Cross.. the Cross.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 4:29:04 AM
At 6/15/2010 2:54:38 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/14/2010 8:09:18 PM, Anacharsis wrote:

My Christopher Hitchens impression consists entirely of me saying " SpiNOZA.. " in a slightly nasal Oxford drawl.

It's great, you should see it some time. Honest it is.

Haha!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 4:38:49 AM
I am too thick to understand how Spinoza's God is anything but Atheism.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Anacharsis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 7:08:32 AM
At 6/15/2010 4:38:49 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

The most important distinction that I can see is that Spinoza attributed God with an intelligence of sorts. He listed a number of other attributes he thought must be necessary to God, but I don't see where those really distinguish God from some non-God philosophy.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 11:29:28 AM
At 6/15/2010 4:38:49 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

The Panentheist God is a universal, ubiquitous mind and all that exists is an extention of that.
Though, I agree that both Panentheism and Pantheism are equivalent to Atheism.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat