Question on Matthew 18:7?

seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 12:26:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Matthew 18:7

"Woe to the world for temptations to sin! For it is necessary that temptations come, but woe to the one by whom the temptation comes!

What do you believe Jesus would have answered if asked, "Teacher why is it necessary that temptations come?"

Would like to read yours thoughts on this.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 3:17:34 PM
At 1/8/2015 12:26:35 PM, seeu46 wrote:

"Woe to the world for temptations to sin! For it is necessary that temptations come, but woe to the one by whom the temptation comes!

What do you believe Jesus would have answered if asked, "Teacher why is it necessary that temptations come?"

Because it is only natural that temptations will come, it is human nature.

You pick up a bag in the street with three thousand dollars in it with no identification indicating to who it belongs: Are you tempted to keep it, or will you, without hesitation, take it immediately to the police and declare it as lost property?
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 3:24:25 PM

You pick up a bag in the street with three thousand dollars in it with no identification indicating to who it belongs: Are you tempted to keep it, or will you, without hesitation, take it immediately to the police and declare it as lost property?

A wife is raped and bashed severely, the perpetrator is known to the husband, would he not be tempted to blow the bastads brains out?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 3:42:32 PM

I think Jesus would have said temptations come to test your character and prove what kind of a person you are. They come so you have an opportunity to overcome your own lusts or to choose not to overcome them.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 3:42:51 PM
At 1/8/2015 3:24:25 PM, Gentorev wrote:

A wife is raped and bashed severely, the perpetrator is known to the husband, would he not be tempted to blow the bastads brains out?

Probably not. He would assume that she had angered her husband and he corrected her as is his right. Since they are married sex is his right as well.
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:25:03 PM

So you believe his main point would be that, the desires of "human nature" is what causes temptations to come?
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 7:26:52 PM
At 1/8/2015 3:42:32 PM, Skyangel wrote:

I think Jesus would have said temptations come to test your character and prove what kind of a person you are. They come so you have an opportunity to overcome your own lusts or to choose not to overcome them.

So you believe it was more of a know who you are necessity. This kind of came to my mind as well. Thanks for your response.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 7:42:03 PM
At 1/8/2015 3:42:51 PM, dhardage wrote:

Probably not. He would assume that she had angered her husband and he corrected her as is his right. Since they are married sex is his right as well.

And what has your unintelligible response to do with my statement that the wife is severely bashed and raped by a man that is known to her husband. Would not the husband then be tempted to blow that bastads brains out?
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 8:05:15 PM
At 1/8/2015 6:25:03 PM, seeu46 wrote:

So you believe his main point would be that, the desires of "human nature" is what causes temptations to come?

Correct! Every day you will be tempted in some way by your human desires. It is up to you whether you succumb to that temptation, or whether you have the inner strength to resist.

There are those who know your weakness's and will tempt you into doing that which you would normally not even consider. In that situation, is the tempter to be held more accountable for your irresponsible actions, or does the entire onus fall upon you, the perpetrator.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 8:47:03 PM
At 1/8/2015 7:26:52 PM, seeu46 wrote:

So you believe it was more of a know who you are necessity. This kind of came to my mind as well. Thanks for your response.

No, it's more of a choose who you want to be.... Good or evil.

People are exactly who they want to be. They are good or evil because they make the choice to be that way.
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 9:06:58 PM
At 1/8/2015 8:47:03 PM, Skyangel wrote:

People are exactly who they want to be. They are good or evil because they make the choice to be that way.

Love to do good or love to do evil. A necessity to chose what you love to do then?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 9:16:45 PM
At 1/8/2015 9:06:58 PM, seeu46 wrote:

Love to do good or love to do evil. A necessity to chose what you love to do then?

It all depends on what the choices are.

Sometimes the right thing to do is not necessarily what you love to do. Doing what is right can often be the hardest choice to make. Hence the temptation to not do the right thing and take the easier path in spite of knowing it is not the best choice.

I guess it depends on whether people love to be lazy and take the easier option in preference to the best option.
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 9:26:04 PM
At 1/8/2015 9:16:45 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Sometimes the right thing to do is not necessarily what you love to do. Doing what is right can often be the hardest choice to make. Hence the temptation to not do the right thing and take the easier path in spite of knowing it is not the best choice.

I guess it depends on whether people love to be lazy and take the easier option in preference to the best option.

Funny you should mention that. I love many times being lazy.. Sometimes when I'm really hungry, my laziness defeats my desire for hunger....haha
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 9:33:40 PM
At 1/8/2015 9:26:04 PM, seeu46 wrote:
At 1/8/2015 9:16:45 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Funny you should mention that. I love many times being lazy.. Sometimes when I'm really hungry, my laziness defeats my desire for hunger....haha

Peoples laziness to use their own brains also defeats their desire to think for themselves. Hence we get people just believing whatever sounds good to them.
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 9:55:29 PM
Alright let me know what you all think and thanks Sky, Dhards, and Gen for the input, although I believe Dhard response was more just for you Gen, then me.... From the input that I received, I came up with this answer on how I believe Jesus might possibly answer.

Jesus: Temptations Come so you can follow what you Love; For out of the heart of Man, come Evil thoughts. Come, Follow Me anyone who Follows Me also Follows the One who sent Me.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 10:12:19 PM

Human nature and testing faith.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 12:09:12 AM

Jesus never said this but religious antichrists added this to their new testament like many other religious ideas they put in there along with some ideas that God's saints testified to while they were preaching the gospel ( voice of the Lord ).
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 1:24:07 AM
From the Bible Societies Chain Reference Bible: Matthew 18: 7; "How terrible for the world that there are things that make people lose their faith! Such things will always happen------But how terrible for the one who causes them!

Another translation of Matthew 18: 7; that puts an entirely different slant on what Jesus had said.
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 8:26:11 AM
At 1/9/2015 1:24:07 AM, Gentorev wrote:
From the Bible Societies Chain Reference Bible: Matthew 18: 7; "How terrible for the world that there are things that make people lose their faith! Such things will always happen------But how terrible for the one who causes them!

Another translation of Matthew 18: 7; that puts an entirely different slant on what Jesus had said.

Interesting indeed. You know I thought about John 9:3 here as well for the answer to my question.

John 9:2-3
And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 8:28:50 AM
At 1/8/2015 7:42:03 PM, Gentorev wrote:
At 1/8/2015 3:42:51 PM, dhardage wrote:

And what has your unintelligible response to do with my statement that the wife is severely bashed and raped by a man that is known to her husband. Would not the husband then be tempted to blow that bastads brains out?

I apologize for my misunderstanding. I read your post incorrectly as "known to be her husband" instead of "known to the husband". Clearly I need to have my prescription updated. Once more, my apologies.

Oh, and I wouldn't blow his brains out. Much too quick. I would want him to suffer for a long, long time and I would see that it occurred.