Jump to topic:

Your opinion of Taoism

XVIII18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 7:50:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
As a previous Agnostic I have taken an interest in this philosophy/religion/other: Taoism. I was just wondering of all of your opinions (can be numerous and varying) and why you have them.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 1:13:54 AM
At 1/8/2015 7:50:47 PM, XVIII18 wrote:
As a previous Agnostic I have taken an interest in this philosophy/religion/other: Taoism. I was just wondering of all of your opinions (can be numerous and varying) and why you have them.

I looked it up, but it is fairly foreign to me. I don't understand what it means
to be on the 'path'. Is there a god associated with it? Perhaps you could give more information.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 1:42:54 AM
It's an interesting set of beliefs in balance. From what I know of it, it's pretty cool. However I mostly know of it from a single class in university. ... Well that and a comic book character named for it, whose original plot-line was designed to show the duality of the belief.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
XVIII18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 8:50:55 AM
At 1/9/2015 1:13:54 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 1/8/2015 7:50:47 PM, XVIII18 wrote:

I looked it up, but it is fairly foreign to me. I don't understand what it means
to be on the 'path'. Is there a god associated with it? Perhaps you could give more information.

There is no God associated with it, all Gods that have been in the past were an add-on from other religions around the same area allowing for people to comprehend it better (it is a very "hard" religion to follow). From what I know, the path can really be indescribable, but here is a good quote I found: "Tao (pronounced "dao") means literally "the path" or "the way." It is a universal principle that underlies everything from the creation of galaxies to the interaction of human beings. The workings of Tao are vast and often beyond human logic. In order to understand Tao, reasoning alone will not suffice. One must also apply intuition." What the last bit means, in my own interpretation, is that one must apply day to day life to this teaching to fully begin to even get a glimpse at it.

I also like it because it really can have a scientific basis in that we are all "star dust" as Carl Sagan said once said. In other words, everything is of the stars therefore showing everything and everyone shares a characteristic with everything around them. Idk, as an agnostic I found that very intriguing.