Jump to topic:

Religious people and objectivity

TrueScotsman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 7:19:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
This isn't universal on this site, but it certainly is a pattern where religious people almost cannot vote objectively on a debate in anyway, but always vote for the side they previously agreed with.

I myself am somewhat religious, but will always award a debate to the best arguments regardless of whether or not I agreed with that argument before or after the debate.

It seems rather obvious I suppose that religious people have a much harder time checking their preconceived biases and making objective determinations on matters on which they hold strong convictions.

Basically, the problem is that it will warp the voting process on a debate. This seems especially true for Catholics here. lol
Impartial
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 1:32:07 PM
At 1/10/2015 7:19:07 AM, TrueScotsman wrote:
This isn't universal on this site, but it certainly is a pattern where religious people almost cannot vote objectively on a debate in anyway, but always vote for the side they previously agreed with.

I myself am somewhat religious, but will always award a debate to the best arguments regardless of whether or not I agreed with that argument before or after the debate.

It seems rather obvious I suppose that religious people have a much harder time checking their preconceived biases and making objective determinations on matters on which they hold strong convictions.

Basically, the problem is that it will warp the voting process on a debate. This seems especially true for Catholics here. lol

I think that is a very sensible observation. It open up the question as to why there is such a lack of openmindedness. Is there an inherent need to believe due to the percieved comfort or reasurance etc from doing so?
To believe is to know nothing.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 1:35:36 PM
At 1/10/2015 7:25:24 AM, bulproof wrote:
Oxymoron.

^for sure^
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 2:35:16 AM

Seems like the same problem is prevalent among atheists and agnostics when voting on religious matters too. It's just a matter of tribalism.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 2:48:55 AM

And how many atheists do you believe would vote for a christian who was debating with another atheist?
The tongue, the sharp two edged sword that divides the spirit from the soul.