Jump to topic:

If circumstances were different...

Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 1:41:46 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
...would you still have the belief system you do now?

Apologies if a similar topic's already been made, looked and I didn't find any. This applies both to people who have converted and people who haven't, although it's directed at people who still subscribe to the religion they were brought up with. Changing sects doesn't really count for much, either.

So be honest. Would you have become a Christian if you'd been brought up in Hinduism? Or can you admit you got lucky? Would you have been atheist if your parents hadn't been? Etc.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 1:44:23 AM
Tbh, not much would be different for me, being a theist from a generally atheist and non-religious family. I found my beliefs myself.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 1:48:10 AM
My parents were more agnostic than anything, all the relatives on both sides are pretty Christian. On one side they are some sort of evangelists, another cousin is a minister... it's really quite strange!

But yes if I had been raised as a Christian chances are good I would have been one, I reckon I would still have become an atheist at some point though.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 1:51:08 AM
I was raised a Catholic, but I always questioned things since my early years. I eventually would have come to where I am now, even if through different means and exposed to different things.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cogito-ergo-sum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 2:00:55 AM
I think it depends on events unfolding, if nothing ever questions your faith, you'll carry on regardless.
I was C.of.E. then I lost my faith at 12. God just wasn't there.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 2:10:44 AM
At 6/16/2010 2:00:55 AM, Cogito-ergo-sum wrote:
I think it depends on events unfolding, if nothing ever questions your faith, you'll carry on regardless.
I was C.of.E. then I lost my faith at 12. God just wasn't there.

Same. Was raised Catholic (father atheist, mother Catholic), was agnostic for a long time, then when i was 36 everything changed and i found a different sort of relationship with God. I'm still Catholic, but far from dogmatic in my faith.
ravenwaen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 2:15:40 AM
At 6/16/2010 1:41:46 AM, Yvette wrote:
Would you have been atheist if your parents hadn't been?

Likely not, if I were born in the US.

My parent were both atheists, though they did not mention religion to me at all until I brought it up. So there was no "atheist indoctrination"; I was left to make up my own mind.

If I'd been born to a different family, I'd like to think I wouldn't be a Christian fundie, but it's certainly possible. Maybe a Reform Jew or a ChristianLite or a New Age agnostic. I've heard there is a small portion of the population that is intrinsically opposed to superstition and couldn't really ever truly believe in a god. Those people will probably be atheists no matter what.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 4:33:34 AM
At 6/16/2010 3:56:40 AM, Puck wrote:
If I wasn't me would I be me? O.o

lmao exactly, the question is pretty nonsensical. Asking whether I would retain the belief X in a largely different life (i.e. where the 'circumstances were different') begs the question as your personality is largely defined by your circumstances. So for those who state that they are confident they will be an atheist, irrespective of their circumstance, because of their skeptical attitude forget that whatever bred their skeptical attitude can be also out of the equation in this other hypothetical life.

Unless you believe everyone has a soul, which solely or largely defines their set of personality traits...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 4:37:56 AM
At 6/16/2010 4:33:34 AM, TheSkeptic wrote:
At 6/16/2010 3:56:40 AM, Puck wrote:
If I wasn't me would I be me? O.o

lmao exactly, the question is pretty nonsensical. Asking whether I would retain the belief X in a largely different life (i.e. where the 'circumstances were different') begs the question as your personality is largely defined by your circumstances. So for those who state that they are confident they will be an atheist, irrespective of their circumstance, because of their skeptical attitude forget that whatever bred their skeptical attitude can be also out of the equation in this other hypothetical life.

Unless you believe everyone has a soul, which solely or largely defines their set of personality traits...

I was just going with the most likely probabilities. It is more likely that my parents would have been liberal anglicans of very weak faith then Jewish zealots beating me with a stick for failing to memorise the torah. Actually I am not sure what extreme would be more likely to make me an atheist?

But considering the society I live in, the sort of friends I still would have made, the influences on me etc, chances are good I still would have been a cynic.

I do try to develop some faith in the soul, but I don't believe in shapes oour personality.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 5:33:43 PM
I was raised to be an Anglican Christian, so I have to say no, because despite my early indoctrination I still came out on the atheistic end.

Though having said that, I only really began to question god when he wasn't being hammered into my skull every day, it was only when I stopped going to a school that told me as fact that god was watching that I began to actually think for myself a little. So perhaps if my parents and grandparents had been more extremist or devout, or perhaps if I'd been born into a religion more closely affiliated with state or culture or heritage (like Islam, or catholicism in certain parts of the world, or even Hinduism) then I may not have strayed from the proverbial path.

Despite that, however, I like to think that we are what we choose to be, and that if I was born with the capacity for atheism and was born with an interest in the natural world outside of god's influence then maybe I'd have converted anyway, or maybe, if the situation had proven conversion impossible, I'd have at least given my preachers and family a frickin' hard time with questions.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?