Jump to topic:

A problem about Nazareth

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 5:08:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have engaged someone on YouTube to a YouTube comment debate (ya, never a good idea..) and learned something.

There seems to be quite a few people that think Nazareth existed at the time of Jesus. Their source for this? A news reporting that went global in 2009 reporting that a house from Nazareth was dated to the time of Jesus.

Why is this a problem?

Well, these are the people we need to look at:
1) The archaeologist that discovered
2) The group that studied the find and wrote the official thesis

The archaeologist that made the find made a personal comment (not an official one) that said the house was from the time of Jesus.
The group that wrote the official thesis, the Israel Antiquities Authority, never said any such thing, the thesis never included that in it.

This means that officially, the house is not from the time of Jesus.
The news, however, wrote about it as if it was, using only the personal comment as evidence.

So we run into a problem. Can the news be trusted with stories that include religion?

My answer is no.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 6:35:08 PM
At 1/10/2015 5:08:52 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I have engaged someone on YouTube to a YouTube comment debate (ya, never a good idea..) and learned something.

There seems to be quite a few people that think Nazareth existed at the time of Jesus. Their source for this? A news reporting that went global in 2009 reporting that a house from Nazareth was dated to the time of Jesus.

Why is this a problem?

The archaeologist that made the find made a personal comment (not an official one) that said the house was from the time of Jesus.
The group that wrote the official thesis, the Israel Antiquities Authority, never said any such thing, the thesis never included that in it.

The news, however, wrote about it as if it was, using only the personal comment as evidence.

So we run into a problem. Can the news be trusted with stories that include religion?

My answer is no.

There was no Nazareth at the time of Jesus. This all stems from Matthew trying to shoe-horn the mythical Jesus into the OT by having him fulfill 'prophesies'. He confused the term Nazarene or Nazarite (which is unrelated to any place name) with being born in a town with a similar sounding name. It was either a dumb translation error or he did it deliberately to bolster the supposed prophecy.

Note that in order to pull off such a deceit, Matthew must have been written late when there actually was a Nazareth in existence.

http://www.jesusneverexisted.com...
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 6:53:36 PM
Firstly, of course we can't trust the news in regard to religion. The news is driven by viewer ratings just as is any situation comedy, game show, or soap opera. They play to their intended audience. FOX, for example, continually leads an onslaught against atheism, simply to please their primarily conservative Christian audience.

That said, Nazareth existed before the time claimed of Jesus, and was re-populated within a few decades of the time the Bible claims Jesus existed. But during the time the Bible claims Jesus existed, Nazareth had been abandoned. So (as usual), Dee-em's comments are right on track. I haven't researched this but it's possible that the author of "Matthew" was mislead by reading his prophecies in the Greek Septuagint, rather than the Hebrew versions. This is the mistake which lead him to claiming that Jesus asked for his disciples to steal two donkeys, when the actual prophecy (Zechariah 9:9), calls for only one. The author of "Matthew" couldn't read Hebrew, so he turned to the Greek Septuagint to read the details of the OT prophecies, and the Greek Septuagint contains a number of mistranslations. He was attempting to write stories about Jesus, which portrayed the fulfillment of OT prophecies, and used the OT details as a framework on which to construct these popular tales.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 2:02:46 AM

Why is this a problem?

My answer is no.

Faith and belief is all we saints and believers need to listen to the voice of God and obey His commandments. When we listen to God, we learn who we are in Him and how He created us. We also learn about the future. Those who don't listen to us saints speak for God will die without any knowledge about how we are created and how we'll live in the future.

Deuteronomy 28
15: "But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord your God or be careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you.
16: Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the field.
17: Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading-trough.
18: cursed shall be the fruit of your body, and the fruit of your ground, the increase of your cattle, and the young of your flock.
19: Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
20: "the Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and frustration, in all that you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and perish quickly, on account of the evil of your doings, because you have forsaken me.
21: The Lord will make the pestilence cleave to you until he has consumed you off the land which you are entering to take possession of it.
22: The Lord will smite you with consumption, and with fever, inflammation, and fiery heat, and with drought, and with blasting, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until your perish.
23: And the heavens over your head shall be brass, and the earth under you shall be iron.
24: The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down upon you until you are destroyed.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 11:39:04 AM
At 1/11/2015 2:02:46 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Why is this a problem?

My answer is no.

Faith and belief is all we saints and believers need to listen to the voice of God and obey His commandments. When we listen to God, we learn who we are in Him and how He created us. We also learn about the future. Those who don't listen to us saints speak for God will die without any knowledge about how we are created and how we'll live in the future.

Deuteronomy 28
15: "But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord your God or be careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you.
18: cursed shall be the fruit of your body, and the fruit of your ground, the increase of your cattle, and the young of your flock.
19: Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
20: "the Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and frustration, in all that you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and perish quickly, on account of the evil of your doings, because you have forsaken me.
21: The Lord will make the pestilence cleave to you until he has consumed you off the land which you are entering to take possession of it.
22: The Lord will smite you with consumption, and with fever, inflammation, and fiery heat, and with drought, and with blasting, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until your perish.
23: And the heavens over your head shall be brass, and the earth under you shall be iron.
24: The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down upon you until you are destroyed.

Why don't you saints and believers just stay with theology. Let science and technology deal with the issues of the day.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 1:44:20 PM

Faith and belief is all we saints and believers need ...

That's why no one takes you seriously.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 4:55:57 AM
At 1/11/2015 11:39:04 AM, Harikrish wrote:

Why is this a problem?

My answer is no.

Deuteronomy 28

Why don't you saints and believers just stay with theology. Let science and technology deal with the issues of the day.

Saints are taught who we are directly from our Creator who created science and technology. God uses science data and technology as analogies to teach me exactly how He created us.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 4:57:19 AM
At 1/11/2015 1:44:20 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Faith and belief is all we saints and believers need ...

That's why no one takes you seriously.

I can see you didn't read my whole post.