Jump to topic:

What is being Christian?

MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 3:26:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Well, for a start, who gets to decided what "Christian is? AFter all Christ said many would call themselves Christian but that he would not recognise them as such.

Matthew 7:21-23
ASV(i) 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by thy name, and by thy name cast out demons, and by thy name do many mighty works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

So just calling yourself "Christian" is not enough, so what is?

As Christ said, " he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven".

For a start that means recognising who "The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ" is.

Since he is also the God of Christ he cannot be Christ.

In fact scripture names him, in English, Jehovah.

And what is the will of the father of the Christ?

Well, Christ said it hinself when he quoted the two most important laws.

"You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart, your whole being and your whole mind".

And

"You must love your fellow man as yourself".

Is there another qualification?

Yes.

John 4:23-24
ASV(i) 23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and truth: for such doth the Father seek to be his worshippers. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship in spirit and truth.

Yes, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ is actively seeking genuine lovers of truth.

How many who call themselves "Christian" know who Jehovah really is, or Christ for that matter?

A small miniority.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 4:06:58 PM
At 1/11/2015 3:26:20 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
Well, for a start, who gets to decided what "Christian is? AFter all Christ said many would call themselves Christian but that he would not recognise them as such.

That is where you fall flat at being a Christian.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Rant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 4:12:15 PM
True and False Disciples
21 "Not everyone who says to me, "Lord, Lord," will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, "Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?" 23 Then I will tell them plainly, "I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!" So What does that mean?? I would say that's a good start!
Rant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 4:18:13 PM
But The world does not like the ANSWER! It has rejected and will reject him right through the tribulation.
Rant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 4:23:09 PM
One of the things that we often wonder about is how on earth could people living during the Tribulation, who will experience catastrophes unheard of in previous human history, still look to the heavens and curse the name of God.
When people have completely ruled out the existence of God and have replaced him with Science, or when Jesus Christ become nothing more that a nice married man of 2,000 years ago, you can understand the mindset of the millions cursing God during the Tribulation.
Even when intense heat sears their flesh, grievous sores cover their bodies and hailstones pound their homes and crops into the ground, these people will still refuse to believe that there is a God who is in charge and pounding their world to get their attention. As people do now, they will curse the name of Jesus Christ and God Almighty when they are in distress and filled with hate. The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? Jeremiah
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 4:40:00 PM
At 1/11/2015 4:18:13 PM, Rant wrote:
But The world does not like the ANSWER! It has rejected and will reject him right through the tribulation.

The problem is, YOU are convinced you have THE answer. Others aren't, and sincerely DON'T appreciate you imposing YOUR answer on THEM!!!
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 5:46:37 PM
At 1/11/2015 4:06:58 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

If I did not love my fellow man as myself I woujld not bother doing what I do, and I would be as abusive to you aes you are to me.

However, becase I love all men I treat you with patience way beyond yours.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 5:49:20 PM
At 1/11/2015 4:15:01 PM, Rant wrote:
So Who is the true Church and what makes you a true Christian is the second Q! Enjoy

Will in my case I hope I am a good Christian, I do try to be, but only Giood and Christ can judge that.

The only true Christian group I have ever come across, in that they do all they can to imitate Christ, and they worship the same God he did, are the JWs.
Human_Joke65
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 7:15:10 PM
People still respect their own inadequate conscience over someone else's insight. Jesus being the arbiter of Christian identification is more sensible though.

The ideal Christian would probably exhibit Jesus' core personality, merging it with their own. Inevitably, this will make enemies, even among colleagues. Jealousy and skepticism, hatred of a super Christian who exposes their inadequacy will arise.

The ability to be extremely metaphorical in their manner of public speaking with peculiar authority. Personally, that's the main attribute that will spark suspicion of a new supernatural activity sanctioned by God. Miracles would be nice, but too overt. Today's world is too hostile towards God. Subtlety is key.
God's a comedian and atheism is a punch line waiting to happen.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 10:51:54 AM
At 1/11/2015 7:15:10 PM, Human_Joke65 wrote:

People still respect their own inadequate conscience over someone else's insight. Jesus being the arbiter of Christian identification is more sensible though.

I agree

The ideal Christian would probably exhibit Jesus' core personality, merging it with their own. Inevitably, this will make enemies, even among colleagues. Jealousy and skepticism, hatred of a super Christian who exposes their inadequacy will arise.

Jesus reflected his Father's personality and morality, and any who wish to be seen as Christian must at least make a solid effort to do the same.

If they don't, they aren't Christian, simple as.

The ability to be extremely metaphorical in their manner of public speaking with peculiar authority. Personally, that's the main attribute that will spark suspicion of a new supernatural activity sanctioned by God. Miracles would be nice, but too overt. Today's world is too hostile towards God. Subtlety is key.

Wow, someone who sees sense!
However the main identification for any who serve Christ truly is Galatians 5:22-23
ASV(i)"22"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,"23"meekness, self-control; against such there is no law.

Why?

Because all those who truly serve Christ get the assistance of holy spirit, at least to some degree. If holy spirit does it"s work in you you inherit those qualities, at least to some degree, the work you do in the service of God and Christ, the more you use holy spirit, the stronger the signs of Galatians 5:22 show in you. It is inevitable, it sort of rubs off.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 10:57:40 AM
At 1/11/2015 5:46:37 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 1/11/2015 4:06:58 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

If I did not love my fellow man as myself I woujld not bother doing what I do, and I would be as abusive to you aes you are to me.

However, becase I love all men I treat you with patience way beyond yours.

LOL. No, you are completely selfish and have nothing but disdain and disrespect for your fellow man as you constantly spew forth empty threats of hellfire towards him. That is not love by any stretch of the imagination.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 11:18:32 AM

ASV(i) 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by thy name, and by thy name cast out demons, and by thy name do many mighty works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

For a start that means recognising who "The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ" is.

"You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart, your whole being and your whole mind".

And

Yes.

ASV(i) 23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and truth: for such doth the Father seek to be his worshippers. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship in spirit and truth.

Yes, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ is actively seeking genuine lovers of truth.

How many who call themselves "Christian" know who Jehovah really is, or Christ for that matter?

A small miniority.

Please explain who Christ is?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 11:19:29 AM
At 1/11/2015 4:15:42 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 1/11/2015 4:09:09 PM, Rant wrote:
Its What you first Believe in!

No, it's how you practice your beliefs.

This
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 12:31:42 PM
At 1/12/2015 11:19:29 AM, jharry wrote:

This

Unfortunately is is entirely down to, as Christ said, doing the will of his father (Matthew 7:21-23), and therfefnroe if you do not teach what Christ and the Apostles did, you do not actually have the right to call yourself Christianity, since Christ only taught what his after taught him. John 8:28 ASV(i) "28 Jesus therefore said, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself, but as the Father taught me, I speak these things".

Jesus taught that he as the son of God, not God, in fact he denied beuing God numerous times.

The Apostles consiistently treat Faith and son as being diffierent individuals, and spoke of the son as a created beiong, God's only solo creation, through who he created all else.

Until you accept those facts, you cannot rightly be called Christian.

Read the following verse, just some pof many, and think about what theya re saying, noting especially the parts I have higlighted.

Colossians 1:11-16
ASV(i) 11 strengthened with all power, according to the might of his glory, unto all patience and longsuffering with joy; 12 giving thanks unto the Father, who made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light; 13 who delivered us out of the power of darkness, and translated us into the kingdom of the Son of his love; 14 in whom we have our redemption, the forgiveness of our sins: 15 who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; 16 for in him were all things created, in the heavens and upon the earth, things visible and things invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers; all things have been created through him, and unto him
;
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 12:35:38 PM
At 1/12/2015 12:31:42 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

This

Unfortunately is is entirely down to, as Christ said, doing the will of his father (Matthew 7:21-23), and therfefnroe if you do not teach what Christ and the Apostles did, you do not actually have the right to call yourself Christianity, since Christ only taught what his after taught him. John 8:28 ASV(i) "28 Jesus therefore said, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself, but as the Father taught me, I speak these things".

Jesus taught that he as the son of God, not God, in fact he denied beuing God numerous times.

The Apostles consiistently treat Faith and son as being diffierent individuals, and spoke of the son as a created beiong, God's only solo creation, through who he created all else.

Read the following verse, just some pof many, and think about what theya re saying, noting especially the parts I have higlighted.

ASV(i) 11 strengthened with all power, according to the might of his glory, unto all patience and longsuffering with joy; 12 giving thanks unto the Father, who made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light; 13 who delivered us out of the power of darkness, and translated us into the kingdom of the Son of his love; 14 in whom we have our redemption, the forgiveness of our sins: 15 who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; 16 for in him were all things created, in the heavens and upon the earth, things visible and things invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers; all things have been created through him, and unto him
;

But that does not negate "do onto others as you would have them into you" right? That is a must.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 12:36:23 PM
At 1/12/2015 11:18:32 AM, jharry wrote:

And

Yes.

A small miniority.

Bump
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 12:39:07 PM

And

Yes.

A small miniority.

The Christ is God's son, who was sent to earth to occupy the specially prepared body of Jesus.

God's son is, as I explained above, and scripture shows consistently, the one and only solo creation of God, and the first creation ever made, who then worked with his father in creating everything else.

Scripture does not lie when it calls them Father and son, with all that means for thier relationship under God's law.

As Revelation also t3ells us at Revelation 3:14, he was a faithful and true witness to his father which actually makes him the foremost Jehovah's Witness, since such as his father's name in Emglish. This is made clear at John 17:6 ASV(i) 6 I manifested thy name unto the men whom thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them to me; and they have kept thy word.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 12:39:54 PM
At 1/12/2015 12:36:23 PM, jharry wrote:

And

Yes.

A small miniority.

Bump

Ironically you bumped it as I was answering it, lol.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 12:44:32 PM
At 1/12/2015 12:39:07 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

The Christ is God's son, who was sent to earth to occupy the specially prepared body of Jesus.

So, Jesus simply stepped into a "suit", so to speak, which was essentially a body that He occupied, which means Jesus never died, his "suit" merely expired and He got out of it.

We should thank MadCornishHen for refuting the Resurrection. Well done, sir.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 12:45:26 PM
At 1/12/2015 12:35:38 PM, jharry wrote:

This

;

But that does not negate "do onto others as you would have them into you" right? That is a must.

Absolutely, as Jesus said to the Pharisee who asked him what the most important law was, and quoted two:

"You must worship Jehovah your God with your whole heart, your whole being, and your whole mind"

and

"You must love your fellow man as yourself"

As Jesus went on to say, if you strive to do these two you are obeying the whole of the law and the prophets.

Jesus quoted them both because in reality you cannot truly do the one without also doing the other, fail in one and you fail both.

After all God loves all men, though he despises what some do, so if we love him we will love them also.

Liekwise whilst we can judge people's actions because they can change from day to day, we cannot judge the peop0le who commit them.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 12:47:11 PM

And

Yes.

A small miniority.

God's son is, as I explained above, and scripture shows consistently, the one and only solo creation of God, and the first creation ever made, who then worked with his father in creating everything else.

Scripture does not lie when it calls them Father and son, with all that means for thier relationship under God's law.

As Revelation also t3ells us at Revelation 3:14, he was a faithful and true witness to his father which actually makes him the foremost Jehovah's Witness, since such as his father's name in Emglish. This is made clear at John 17:6 ASV(i) 6 I manifested thy name unto the men whom thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them to me; and they have kept thy word.

Has Jesus always existed? If He is created, is He to be worshiped as the Father is?
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 12:49:42 PM
At 1/12/2015 12:44:32 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

So, Jesus simply stepped into a "suit", so to speak, which was essentially a body that He occupied, which means Jesus never died, his "suit" merely expired and He got out of it.

Not excactcly no, but I suppose you could see it that way. However I have not refuted the resurrection.

The resurrection of Christ happened exactly as scripture describes it, and the two resurrections of human are proceeding as planned., though the second is yet to happen.

You do love twisting what I say into something totally different, and inaccurate don't you.

Unlike many, I refute absolutely nothing taught in scripture, and teach only what scripture teaches, as did Christ and the Apostles after him.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 1:20:01 PM
At 1/12/2015 12:49:42 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Not excactcly no, but I suppose you could see it that way. However I have not refuted the resurrection.

Did Jesus become a man or occupy a body.

Did He suffer?

Did He die?

If not, who descended into Hades/Sheol?

If not, was there an actual sacrifice? Or was it a shell that was sacrificed?

Did Jesus actually give up anything?

The resurrection of Christ happened exactly as scripture describes it, and the two resurrections of human are proceeding as planned., though the second is yet to happen.

You do love twisting what I say into something totally different, and inaccurate don't you.

Unlike many, I refute absolutely nothing taught in scripture, and teach only what scripture teaches, as did Christ and the Apostles after him.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 1:23:01 PM
At 1/12/2015 12:45:26 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

This

;

Absolutely, as Jesus said to the Pharisee who asked him what the most important law was, and quoted two:

"You must worship Jehovah your God with your whole heart, your whole being, and your whole mind"

and

As Jesus went on to say, if you strive to do these two you are obeying the whole of the law and the prophets.

Jesus quoted them both because in reality you cannot truly do the one without also doing the other, fail in one and you fail both.

After all God loves all men, though he despises what some do, so if we love him we will love them also.

Liekwise whilst we can judge people's actions because they can change from day to day, we cannot judge the peop0le who commit them.

So failing to love others as you want to be loved is in fact a complete failure? So even if you do believe some faith or beliefs like jws, you still fail.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 1:59:02 PM
At 1/12/2015 1:23:01 PM, jharry wrote:
At 1/12/2015 12:45:26 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

This

;

and

So failing to love others as you want to be loved is in fact a complete failure? So even if you do believe some faith or beliefs like jws, you still fail.

Yes, because that is God's law. If you do not follow it, you fail, simple as.

Even though I am 100% convinced that teh JWs are the true Christian faith, it is still no guarantee of survival being one, becauswe it is not what you cal yourself that matters, but whether or not You are bringing glory to God by showing obedience.

Even if that means dying to stay obedient, as Jesus made very clear.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 2:10:19 PM
At 1/12/2015 12:49:42 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Really? Here are your precise words: "God's son, who was sent to earth to occupy the specially prepared body"

It seems pretty obvious that if God sent His son to earth, that would immediately imply that Jesus was already there in whatever form (Spirit?). You go on to say Jesus occupied a specially prepared body,which means Jesus and the body are two separate things, but Jesus has the ability, because He is the son of the omnipotent God, to put on the body suit and wear it.

If the body died, that was not Jesus, it was the specially prepared body that died. Jesus was just fine, He simply no longer occupied the body and went back to God.

If you believe the Resurrection to be true, then you are worshiping nothing more than an expired body suit.

I would say you did indeed refute the Resurrection in which Jesus allegedly died. He didn't die, he simply took off the suit.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 2:18:08 PM
At 1/12/2015 12:47:11 PM, jharry wrote:

Has Jesus always existed? If He is created, is He to be worshiped as the Father is?

I'm getting two lines if questions going so I thought it best to combine them......

"So, Jesus simply stepped into a "suit", so to speak, which was essentially a body that He occupied, which means Jesus never died, his "suit" merely expired and He got out of it."

Did Jesus become a man or occupy a body.

Did He suffer?

Did He die?

If not, who descended into Hades/Sheol?

If not, was there an actual sacrifice? Or was it a shell that was sacrificed?

Did Jesus actually give up anything?