Jump to topic:

The silent God

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 2:19:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
In case you haven't noticed, people do a real good job telling you what God hates, loves, did or did not do etc etc. Even will make a career out of it.

And that's the problems...........it's always people.

Now some people might get the idea that this whole "God' thing is just a tool of control made up and exercised by some of your fellow human beings.

Do you think that one day God might talk for himself so you know we can ran some things by him......errr her.................errr it ?.

I'll get you started, so concerning homosexuals and weather events any connection there ? cause there are some people with lovely signs that seem to suggest that ?

And the the LORD SPOKE........................................

Nah just joking, just people, just people spoke..........it's always people.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 2:48:42 AM
At 1/12/2015 2:19:10 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
In case you haven't noticed, people do a real good job telling you what God hates, loves, did or did not do etc etc. Even will make a career out of it.

Now some people might get the idea that this whole "God' thing is just a tool of control made up and exercised by some of your fellow human beings.

Do you think that one day God might talk for himself so you know we can ran some things by him......errr her.................errr it ?.

I'll get you started, so concerning homosexuals and weather events any connection there ? cause there are some people with lovely signs that seem to suggest that ?

My late mother-in-law knew exactly what the deity was thinking, down to which TV programmes it preferred and clothes it approved of people wearing! It is funny how the thoughts of the deity seem to mirror those of the people telling you what it thinks, including the Biblical authors!
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 12:15:48 PM

Aren't there any other subjects which interest you? Why must your every post boil down to the same thing?

Never mind.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 12:25:10 PM
At 1/12/2015 2:48:42 AM, JJ50 wrote:

My late mother-in-law knew exactly what the deity was thinking, down to which TV programmes it preferred and clothes it approved of people wearing! It is funny how the thoughts of the deity seem to mirror those of the people telling you what it thinks, including the Biblical authors!

So you noticed that, did you?
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 12:36:39 PM

It's called inductive tuition from the relevant authority's, much like everything other way by which we gain information, If you want information of God, then you must approach those who are authorized to give that information, Again, Much like every other way we gain knowledge. The ultimate destination arrives at faith.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 12:44:24 PM
At 1/13/2015 12:36:39 PM, johnlubba wrote:

It's called inductive tuition from the relevant authority's, much like everything other way by which we gain information, If you want information of God, then you must approach those who are authorized to give that information, Again, Much like every other way we gain knowledge. The ultimate destination arrives at faith.

But why must God always speak through men and why must the message be different for every group of men who claim to speak for him? Would no be simpler to simply speak to us all at once? Surely an omnipotent being could accomplish that task with little or no effort? Is it not worth it just to be sure the message isn't corrupted by the will of the man chosen (or choosing) to speak in God's name?
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 12:53:24 PM
At 1/13/2015 12:44:24 PM, dhardage wrote:

But why must God always speak through men and why must the message be different for every group of men who claim to speak for him? Would no be simpler to simply speak to us all at once? Surely an omnipotent being could accomplish that task with little or no effort? Is it not worth it just to be sure the message isn't corrupted by the will of the man chosen (or choosing) to speak in God's name?

I agree with you, but as it is, it is, as it is, I actually believe God exists, And the phrase, "There can be teaching without words", Springs to mind, Meaning you can still communicate through actions, I believe the way the world is ordered, and that love being one of the guiding forces for humans, speaks a lot about God. I also agree that messages of scripture can be corrupted, but on the other hand I also believe that if you are sincere enough in your heart, then things will be revealed to you, through some divine natural aspect.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 12:57:06 PM
At 1/13/2015 12:53:24 PM, johnlubba wrote:

I agree with you, but as it is, it is, as it is, I actually believe God exists, And the phrase, "There can be teaching without words", Springs to mind, Meaning you can still communicate through actions, I believe the way the world is ordered, and that love being one of the guiding forces for humans, speaks a lot about God. I also agree that messages of scripture can be corrupted, but on the other hand I also believe that if you are sincere enough in your heart, then things will be revealed to you, through some divine natural aspect.

Forgive me but what a lot of people seen to find revealed by God is not of God, but of themselves. Unless there is clear, unambiguous information that can be shown to be the same for each and every person, then it cannot be defined as the word of an omnipotent, omniscient deity. It's all still in the realm of 'this is what I want to believe and this book of rules agrees with me' even when that book is full of hatred, misogyny, and murder. I can't take that as something communicated by a deity who supposedly loves us all.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 1:06:13 PM
At 1/13/2015 12:57:06 PM, dhardage wrote:

Forgive me but what a lot of people seen to find revealed by God is not of God, but of themselves. Unless there is clear, unambiguous information that can be shown to be the same for each and every person, then it cannot be defined as the word of an omnipotent, omniscient deity. It's all still in the realm of 'this is what I want to believe and this book of rules agrees with me' even when that book is full of hatred, misogyny, and murder. I can't take that as something communicated by a deity who supposedly loves us all.

Ultimately, the choice is yours, evidently, even with all the seemingly contradictions and jargon, I myself do not find the Bible to be specifically useful to me, but to others, ( Many millions of others) It seems to touch then divinely, in a way that makes them want to live better and more moral live, The Bible teaches self-sacrifice for other and tolerance, nothing in my eyes is more admirable than that.

Regarding your previous question as to why the message is sometimes different, can be evaluated as such, In the Veda, it is said the whenever religious principles diminish on earth, either God or his representative comes down to re-establish them and teaches the people according to the time and place.

For instance, it is written in the Veda, that Lord Krisna will descend to earth in the form of Lord Buddha at a time when the people lost sight of religious principles, and the society became very atheistic, so to trick the atheists, he descended as Lord Buddha to re-establish religious principles, knowing they would not accept them if they were from God, but Lord Buddha did not concern himself with matters of God, simply so that people would still accept the regulations.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 1:10:22 PM
At 1/13/2015 1:06:13 PM, johnlubba wrote:

Ultimately, the choice is yours, evidently, even with all the seemingly contradictions and jargon, I myself do not find the Bible to be specifically useful to me, but to others, ( Many millions of others) It seems to touch then divinely, in a way that makes them want to live better and more moral live, The Bible teaches self-sacrifice for other and tolerance, nothing in my eyes is more admirable than that.

Regarding your previous question as to why the message is sometimes different, can be evaluated as such, In the Veda, it is said the whenever religious principles diminish on earth, either God or his representative comes down to re-establish them and teaches the people according to the time and place.

For instance, it is written in the Veda, that Lord Krisna will descend to earth in the form of Lord Buddha at a time when the people lost sight of religious principles, and the society became very atheistic, so to trick the atheists, he descended as Lord Buddha to re-establish religious principles, knowing they would not accept them if they were from God, but Lord Buddha did not concern himself with matters of God, simply so that people would still accept the regulations.

I see no reason or logic in that story. I still cannot fathom why any omnipotent, omniscient deity needs to send messengers when he, she, or it could just make his, her, or its will known without all the intermediaries.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 1:19:15 PM
At 1/13/2015 1:10:22 PM, dhardage wrote:

I see no reason or logic in that story. I still cannot fathom why any omnipotent, omniscient deity needs to send messengers when he, she, or it could just make his, her, or its will known without all the intermediaries.

Could you imagine if God out-right revealed himself to everybody, then people would not live as they choose, they would not feel free to act as they wish, they would be forced to act accordingly, instead rather I believe God wants to put us to the test, and if we choose to live in sincere devotion to Him then He will reveal Himself to us in mysterious ways, as many people, including myself can proclaim He has.

Gaining Gods respect is not cheap, If He out-right revels himself, then how would God know the sincere ones from the cheaters? He obviously wants to put us to the test. Sometimes it feels to me as if God obviously exists and although my faith is solid, I can never be sure. This is the test.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 1:25:49 PM
At 1/13/2015 1:19:15 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 1/13/2015 1:10:22 PM, dhardage wrote:

Could you imagine if God out-right revealed himself to everybody, then people would not live as they choose, they would not feel free to act as they wish, they would be forced to act accordingly, instead rather I believe God wants to put us to the test, and if we choose to live in sincere devotion to Him then He will reveal Himself to us in mysterious ways, as many people, including myself can proclaim He has.

Gaining Gods respect is not cheap, If He out-right revels himself, then how would God know the sincere ones from the cheaters? He obviously wants to put us to the test. Sometimes it feels to me as if God obviously exists and although my faith is solid, I can never be sure. This is the test.

Most people don't live as they choose now. They are limited by circumstances they cannot change and by the rules and laws of the society they inhabit.

God has rules that try to limit is as well. If he chose to reveal himself fully those rules would become much clearer give us a chance to actually do his will rather than the will of those who claim to speak for him. God supposedly knows the heart of each man and woman so finding out if someone is sincere is no trouble for him, making these 'tests' redundant and in many ways cruel as what happened to Job.

If you're not sure then you understand there is no real evidence, only personal belief based on faith in what you've been told, not true communication from God himself. If you had that along with everyone else, all doubt would be erased and a lot of the fighting and destruction that goes hand in hand with religion and human nature would cease.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 1:40:03 PM

Most people don't live as they choose now. They are limited by circumstances they cannot change and by the rules and laws of the society they inhabit.

We are independent to act as we wish, we don't have ultimate independence, otherwise we would be God, but we have a little independence, God does not interfere with our little independence, Rules are there to follow if we wish, and the rules to my understanding are very moral.

God has rules that try to limit is as well. If he chose to reveal himself fully those rules would become much clearer give us a chance to actually do his will rather than the will of those who claim to speak for him.

Problem is, people would feel forced to act, rather than simply wanting to do the right thing.

I want to kill this man, but I know for sure 100 Percent that if I do God will see it and I will pay the price,

This is not acting sincerely, this is being forced to act, Thus making our action not genuine and false

. God supposedly knows the heart of each man and woman so finding out if someone is sincere is no trouble for him,

Not if they act because they know for sure God is watching

making these 'tests' redundant and in many ways cruel as what happened to Job.

Not really, it's a question of faith, we won't know for sure until the end and we sacrifice ourselves for the better. It's the ultimate test.

If you're not sure then you understand there is no real evidence,

There is real evidence, proof, no.
only personal belief based on faith in what you've been told,

Based on evidence that points to a conclusion that God is more likely than not, In my opinion ant least.

not true communication from God himself.

Yes, by way of actions, I believe it can only be God

If you had that along with everyone else, all doubt would be erased and a lot of the fighting and destruction that goes hand in hand with religion and human nature would cease.

Yes, but we are not made as robots, we are made as humans with free will, this material life is nothing more than a temporary existence, which the after life if God exists and He did indeed create the universe with immense power, leaves little doubt in my mind that better things are to come.

First we must pass the test, It doesn't come cheaply,

"Oh God if I knew you existed for sure, I would behave along with everybody else", that would not be genuine.

It's always a question of faith.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 1:43:53 PM
"And the the LORD SPOKE........................................

Nah just joking, just people, just people spoke..........it's always people."

Cookie Monster speaks the truth. It's always people.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 1:59:40 PM

I believe God spoke through Jesus. And he said enough for this moment. When it is again good reason to say more, he will, but then it may be too late to repent and receive what Jesus said.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 2:03:07 PM
At 1/13/2015 1:59:40 PM, 12_13 wrote:

I believe God spoke through Jesus. And he said enough for this moment. When it is again good reason to say more, he will, but then it may be too late to repent and receive what Jesus said.

If there is a God my best objective guess is that the word "repent" wouldn't be in his vocabulary. People made that up.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 6:06:57 PM
At 1/13/2015 12:15:48 PM, ethang5 wrote:

Aren't there any other subjects which interest you? Why must your every post boil down to the same thing?

Never mind.

It not what is always a tell sign. When some one doesn't address the actual point but attacks the person.

Oh.......never mind.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
RotomYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 6:10:23 PM

Even if that were true it doesn't make the message of a particular God true or false. Just because a message might be used to control people, that doesn't make the message wrong. See: genetic fallacy.

That would destroy free will.

Only stupid people push that message. Also it's not supported by the Bible.

Who are you to say those people are not divinely inspired?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 6:23:19 PM
At 1/13/2015 6:10:23 PM, RotomYou wrote:

Even if that were true it doesn't make the message of a particular God true or false. Just because a message might be used to control people, that doesn't make the message wrong. See: genetic fallacy.

That would destroy free will.

Only stupid people push that message. Also it's not supported by the Bible.

Who are you to say those people are not divinely inspired?

Okey well lets just believe then cause it is claimed they are divinely inspired. Cmon dude even you know thats weak.

PS: What I said their was divinely inspired, who are you to say it wasn't ?

But on a more serious note do you understand what I am getting at ? or are you just trying to create a strawman to attack to undermine my point ?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 12:42:50 AM

I, your Creator, have been speaking in this forum for the past 1 1/2 years but most members in this forum are not My chosen believers.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 12:49:03 AM

But let's assume God did speak to us. There's another problem with this. How do we know that we should believe him? It's totally possible that God is a liar.

I mean, with so many people claiming to speak with God and all of them saying so many different things, perhaps God truly is a liar, and we would be stupid to believe anything he tells us.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 12:52:14 AM
At 1/14/2015 12:49:03 AM, Juan_Pablo wrote:

But let's assume God did speak to us. There's another problem with this. How do we know that we should believe him? It's totally possible that God is a liar.

I mean, with so many people claiming to speak with God and all of them saying so many different things, perhaps God truly is a liar, and we would be stupid to believe anything he tells us.

Deuteronomy 28
15: "But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord your God or be careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you.
16: Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the field.
17: Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading-trough.
18: cursed shall be the fruit of your body, and the fruit of your ground, the increase of your cattle, and the young of your flock.
19: Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
20: "the Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and frustration, in all that you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and perish quickly, on account of the evil of your doings, because you have forsaken me.
21: The Lord will make the pestilence cleave to you until he has consumed you off the land which you are entering to take possession of it.
22: The Lord will smite you with consumption, and with fever, inflammation, and fiery heat, and with drought, and with blasting, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until your perish.
23: And the heavens over your head shall be brass, and the earth under you shall be iron.
24: The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down upon you until you are destroyed.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 12:52:44 AM
The way I see it, a God that strikes people with cancer and with shark attacks is quite malicious. Therefore, there is nothing to indicate this God would also not be capable of lying.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 1:11:50 AM
There is a certain silence that I cannot forgive God for. The fact that God appears silent to us is not a concern of mine. So God doesn't seem to speak to us . . . this really isn't a big deal to me. It's the fact that he goes out of his way to human life horrible, with all the horrible crap we find in the world. It's that stuff that bugs me.

This God is twisted and irrefutably disgusting by choosing to be a ruiner of life for mankind. This God has allowed hundreds of religions to be formed and that has increased hostilities and conflicts on Earth. This God has allowed numerous nations to form; many of them trying to dominate others; the same is true of people. This God is plainly disgusting and I want NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS KILLER AND MOLESTER OF PEOPLE!!!

He sickens me to my very core!

It's not God's silence alone that bugs me . . . it's his unwillingness to get involved and then to allow lies, misery, pain, and conflict to persist!!!
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 1:14:25 AM
At 1/14/2015 1:11:50 AM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
There is a certain silence that I cannot forgive God for. The fact that God appears silent to us is not a concern of mine. So God doesn't seem to speak to us . . . this really isn't a big deal to me. It's the fact that he goes out of his way to human life horrible, with all the horrible crap we find in the world. It's that stuff that bugs me.

This God is twisted and irrefutably disgusting by choosing to be a ruiner of life for mankind. This God has allowed hundreds of religions to be formed and that has increased hostilities and conflicts on Earth. This God has allowed numerous nations to form; many of them trying to dominate others; the same is true of people. This God is plainly disgusting and I want NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS KILLER AND MOLESTER OF PEOPLE!!!

He sickens me to my very core!

It's not God's silence alone that bugs me . . . it's his unwillingness to get involved and then to allow lies, misery, pain, and conflict to persist!!!

I think God is a perfect example of what too much power does to a single living thing. It's made his gross, malicious, untrustable, and murderous!
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 1:31:13 AM
Sadly, I think a lot of people today inaccurately view God the way people in the middle ages viewed their Kings--as if they were leaders that fell on their side. But as time elapsed and history taught people important lessons, they began to realize that the King was not always good and did not always make decisions that benefited them.

I think we are entering such a period, but with respect to God. Our views of a stainless, immaculate God are now in trouble and it's quite obvious that there's a monster there, too. God isn't the great, loving, blameless King we have perceived him to be for centuries.

The paradigm is now shattering.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 1:32:29 AM
Correction:

"Sadly, I think a lot of people today inaccurately view God the way people in the middle ages viewed their Kings--as if they were leaders that always (passionately) fell on their side."
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 10:01:15 AM
At 1/13/2015 6:06:57 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 1/13/2015 12:15:48 PM, ethang5 wrote:

Never mind.

It not what is always a tell sign. When some one doesn't address the actual point but attacks the person.

I did not attack you. I asked you 2 simple questions. And of course you couldn't answer. Do you always view questions as attacks? Wait, that's yet another "attack".....

Even if I address your point, I've done it and I have seen many do it, you will simply ignore the points and make yet another post on the same old tired topic. It is obvious that your aim is simply to post, not debate.

Knock yourself out.
bestreligion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 10:54:27 AM

Agree with you..I think the idea of behind "what God hate, love" is people's mind thoughts.It seems right too..If not then what you guys have to be in mind?
religious communication