Total Posts:142|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Militant Atheism

AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 4:49:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Why? Do you think you are doing some good deed? Have you considered the ramifications of atheism? Oh, freedom for homosexuals? What about the myriads of psychological case studies of messed up atheists; their butchering women, children, and old people, as if some existential statement? Ol' Richie D himself condones the molestation of children. Let's not pretend militant atheism isn't just crying at God.

The appeal is to goodness, folks; not cosmic emptiness.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 5:00:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 4:49:28 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Why? Do you think you are doing some good deed? Have you considered the ramifications of atheism? Oh, freedom for homosexuals? What about the myriads of psychological case studies of messed up atheists; their butchering women, children, and old people, as if some existential statement? Ol' Richie D himself condones the molestation of children. Let's not pretend militant atheism isn't just crying at God.

The appeal is to goodness, folks; not cosmic emptiness.

I was called a militant atheist once here. It hurt my feelings. Point being atheists have feelings too. You might want to back up your claims in the OP with some statistical data.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 5:02:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 4:49:28 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Why? Do you think you are doing some good deed? Have you considered the ramifications of atheism? Oh, freedom for homosexuals? What about the myriads of psychological case studies of messed up atheists; their butchering women, children, and old people, as if some existential statement? Ol' Richie D himself condones the molestation of children. Let's not pretend militant atheism isn't just crying at God.

The appeal is to goodness, folks; not cosmic emptiness.

And the God of the Bible is 'Good'?

Ya sure that is where ya wanna hang your hat?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 5:04:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 5:02:28 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 1/12/2015 4:49:28 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Why? Do you think you are doing some good deed? Have you considered the ramifications of atheism? Oh, freedom for homosexuals? What about the myriads of psychological case studies of messed up atheists; their butchering women, children, and old people, as if some existential statement? Ol' Richie D himself condones the molestation of children. Let's not pretend militant atheism isn't just crying at God.

The appeal is to goodness, folks; not cosmic emptiness.


And the God of the Bible is 'Good'?

I take a broader look at things. What is good? Death? Is that to be the ultimate destination of life?

Ya sure that is where ya wanna hang your hat?
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 5:07:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I mean, it's very evident in the evo vs. creationism debate that most of the creationists are spazzing out at just the slightest consideration of their being animals. Or take Netural: so hung-up on this code of honour between men which Christianity provides.

Do we take God from people and replace it with emptiness? Is that the plan?
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 5:09:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 5:04:26 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 1/12/2015 5:02:28 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 1/12/2015 4:49:28 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Why? Do you think you are doing some good deed? Have you considered the ramifications of atheism? Oh, freedom for homosexuals? What about the myriads of psychological case studies of messed up atheists; their butchering women, children, and old people, as if some existential statement? Ol' Richie D himself condones the molestation of children. Let's not pretend militant atheism isn't just crying at God.

The appeal is to goodness, folks; not cosmic emptiness.


And the God of the Bible is 'Good'?

I take a broader look at things. What is good? Death? Is that to be the ultimate destination of life?

Its a natural process. Religion seeks to assuage the fear of it. If you are taking a broader look at things, why does life need to have a purpose?

Ya sure that is where ya wanna hang your hat?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 5:15:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 5:09:20 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 1/12/2015 5:04:26 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 1/12/2015 5:02:28 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 1/12/2015 4:49:28 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Why? Do you think you are doing some good deed? Have you considered the ramifications of atheism? Oh, freedom for homosexuals? What about the myriads of psychological case studies of messed up atheists; their butchering women, children, and old people, as if some existential statement? Ol' Richie D himself condones the molestation of children. Let's not pretend militant atheism isn't just crying at God.

The appeal is to goodness, folks; not cosmic emptiness.


And the God of the Bible is 'Good'?

I take a broader look at things. What is good? Death? Is that to be the ultimate destination of life?

Its a natural process. Religion seeks to assuage the fear of it. If you are taking a broader look at things, why does life need to have a purpose?

Because it props up such things as love, goodness, etc. Did you know that atheists are hugely more given to superstition than the religious (besides the big one, of course; if that's how you'd take it)? Superstition can take frightening turns. Many people come to see the world as some great big joke being played on them, as a matter of fact (Ted Bundy seems worthy of mention here - his very existence wrapped up in a lie. The Sopranos did a take on this with Paulie too.)

Ya sure that is where ya wanna hang your hat?
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 5:31:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
A lot of atheists seem to renege on Christianity, and into politics, to anarchism and the non-aggression principle, also; which seems but a hilarious usurpation of God and his commandments, the state cast in his role, for no better auditionee. Christianity is order, and many people take for granted the order it put in them.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 5:37:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 5:15:52 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 1/12/2015 5:09:20 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 1/12/2015 5:04:26 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 1/12/2015 5:02:28 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 1/12/2015 4:49:28 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Why? Do you think you are doing some good deed? Have you considered the ramifications of atheism? Oh, freedom for homosexuals? What about the myriads of psychological case studies of messed up atheists; their butchering women, children, and old people, as if some existential statement? Ol' Richie D himself condones the molestation of children. Let's not pretend militant atheism isn't just crying at God.

The appeal is to goodness, folks; not cosmic emptiness.


And the God of the Bible is 'Good'?

I take a broader look at things. What is good? Death? Is that to be the ultimate destination of life?

Its a natural process. Religion seeks to assuage the fear of it. If you are taking a broader look at things, why does life need to have a purpose?

Because it props up such things as love, goodness, etc.

I know a newspaper in Paris that would disagree.

Did you know that atheists are hugely more given to superstition than the religious (besides the big one, of course; if that's how you'd take it)? Superstition can take frightening turns. Many people come to see the world as some great big joke being played on them, as a matter of fact (Ted Bundy seems worthy of mention here - his very existence wrapped up in a lie. The Sopranos did a take on this with Paulie too.)

Ted Bundy was a sociopath who amazingly pinned his problem on porn addiction, and the world believed it.

Ya sure that is where ya wanna hang your hat?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 5:43:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 5:37:27 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 1/12/2015 5:15:52 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 1/12/2015 5:09:20 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 1/12/2015 5:04:26 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 1/12/2015 5:02:28 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 1/12/2015 4:49:28 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Why? Do you think you are doing some good deed? Have you considered the ramifications of atheism? Oh, freedom for homosexuals? What about the myriads of psychological case studies of messed up atheists; their butchering women, children, and old people, as if some existential statement? Ol' Richie D himself condones the molestation of children. Let's not pretend militant atheism isn't just crying at God.

The appeal is to goodness, folks; not cosmic emptiness.


And the God of the Bible is 'Good'?

I take a broader look at things. What is good? Death? Is that to be the ultimate destination of life?

Its a natural process. Religion seeks to assuage the fear of it. If you are taking a broader look at things, why does life need to have a purpose?

Because it props up such things as love, goodness, etc.

I know a newspaper in Paris that would disagree.

Did you know that atheists are hugely more given to superstition than the religious (besides the big one, of course; if that's how you'd take it)? Superstition can take frightening turns. Many people come to see the world as some great big joke being played on them, as a matter of fact (Ted Bundy seems worthy of mention here - his very existence wrapped up in a lie. The Sopranos did a take on this with Paulie too.)

Ted Bundy was a sociopath who amazingly pinned his problem on porn addiction, and the world believed it.

Nobody believed that (well, there's something in it). The Sopranos take on it is correct. We're all sociopaths by psychiatric definitions. Those who express love etc. are supposedly only building themselves up for later digressions. Jesus would've been classified as of 'criminal psychology' by today's standards.

Ya sure that is where ya wanna hang your hat?
darthebearnc
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 6:44:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 4:49:28 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Why? Do you think you are doing some good deed? Have you considered the ramifications of atheism? Oh, freedom for homosexuals? What about the myriads of psychological case studies of messed up atheists; their butchering women, children, and old people, as if some existential statement? Ol' Richie D himself condones the molestation of children. Let's not pretend militant atheism isn't just crying at God.

The appeal is to goodness, folks; not cosmic emptiness.

Militant atheists are doing 'some good deed' - we're trying to spread scientific/logical evidence about the universe to others and end the false belief in God. Religion is harmful to society (terrorism, discrimination, bigotry, Spanish Inquisition, Holocaust, etc.) and if it wasn't here, then the world would be a better place. You mention that atheists also do horrible things - this is true, but it's not because they're atheist. Atheists don't do bad things because of atheism, while religious people often do bad things because of their religion (i.e. citing the Bible, Koran, etc. as an excuse for hatred, violence, and murder). Militant atheists are only such because we want to eradicate violence due to religion, and make a better world where there is more scientific knowledge and less religiously-inspired hatred.

When did Richard Dawkins promote child molestation?

If you say militant atheism is "just crying at God," where is the scientific or logical evidence for God?

P.S. Here is *roughly* the atheist moral system:
http://en.wikipedia.org...
http://www.utilitarianism.com...
http://atheism.about.com...
http://kidswithoutgod.com...
http://www.patheos.com...
Impartial
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 7:06:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 6:44:08 AM, darthebearnc wrote:
At 1/12/2015 4:49:28 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Why? Do you think you are doing some good deed? Have you considered the ramifications of atheism? Oh, freedom for homosexuals? What about the myriads of psychological case studies of messed up atheists; their butchering women, children, and old people, as if some existential statement? Ol' Richie D himself condones the molestation of children. Let's not pretend militant atheism isn't just crying at God.

The appeal is to goodness, folks; not cosmic emptiness.

Militant atheists are doing 'some good deed' - we're trying to spread scientific/logical evidence about the universe to others and end the false belief in God. Religion is harmful to society (terrorism, discrimination, bigotry, Spanish Inquisition, Holocaust, etc.) and if it wasn't here, then the world would be a better place. You mention that atheists also do horrible things - this is true, but it's not because they're atheist. Atheists don't do bad things because of atheism, while religious people often do bad things because of their religion (i.e. citing the Bible, Koran, etc. as an excuse for hatred, violence, and murder). Militant atheists are only such because we want to eradicate violence due to religion, and make a better world where there is more scientific knowledge and less religiously-inspired hatred.

When did Richard Dawkins promote child molestation?

If you say militant atheism is "just crying at God," where is the scientific or logical evidence for God?

P.S. Here is *roughly* the atheist moral system:
http://en.wikipedia.org...
http://www.utilitarianism.com...
http://atheism.about.com...
http://kidswithoutgod.com...
http://www.patheos.com...

Absolutely spot on. I think militant atheism is an obligation!
To believe is to know nothing.
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 7:07:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 4:49:28 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Why? Do you think you are doing some good deed? Have you considered the ramifications of atheism? Oh, freedom for homosexuals? What about the myriads of psychological case studies of messed up atheists; their butchering women, children, and old people, as if some existential statement? Ol' Richie D himself condones the molestation of children. Let's not pretend militant atheism isn't just crying at God.

The appeal is to goodness, folks; not cosmic emptiness.

Let's start with the realization that "militant atheism" is a term accepted by the devoutly ignorant, and observationally short-sighted.

The religious frequently...
- Post signs and billboards with religious messages
- Collect over$71 billion in public taxpayer monies annually (in the U.S. alone)
- Lobby to pass legislation promoting their religious values
- Seek to invade public education with their theistic mythology
- Pedal their religious doctrines door-to-door
- Advertize their churches on radio, television and Internet
- Post their religious symbols and messages on public properties
- Organize their own schools to shelter their children from secular knowledge
- Promote wars founded on religious differences
- Hold public protests against all beliefs contrary to their own
- Stage terrorist attacks against those of contrary beliefs
- Pass out their religious propaganda to the public

But... let an atheist simply discuss the rational aspects of atheism, or lobby to have his Constitutionally guaranteed civil rights observed, and he's labeled a "militant atheist". The phrase is purely absurd! The religious are orders of magnitude more militant than the average outspoken atheist. The very fact that you don't see that speaks volumes in regard to how you allow you personal bias to guide you assessments.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 7:14:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 7:07:41 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 1/12/2015 4:49:28 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Why? Do you think you are doing some good deed? Have you considered the ramifications of atheism? Oh, freedom for homosexuals? What about the myriads of psychological case studies of messed up atheists; their butchering women, children, and old people, as if some existential statement? Ol' Richie D himself condones the molestation of children. Let's not pretend militant atheism isn't just crying at God.

The appeal is to goodness, folks; not cosmic emptiness.

Let's start with the realization that "militant atheism" is a term accepted by the devoutly ignorant, and observationally short-sighted.

The religious frequently...
- Post signs and billboards with religious messages
- Collect over$71 billion in public taxpayer monies annually (in the U.S. alone)
- Lobby to pass legislation promoting their religious values
- Seek to invade public education with their theistic mythology
- Pedal their religious doctrines door-to-door
- Advertize their churches on radio, television and Internet
- Post their religious symbols and messages on public properties
- Organize their own schools to shelter their children from secular knowledge
- Promote wars founded on religious differences
- Hold public protests against all beliefs contrary to their own
- Stage terrorist attacks against those of contrary beliefs
- Pass out their religious propaganda to the public

But... let an atheist simply discuss the rational aspects of atheism, or lobby to have his Constitutionally guaranteed civil rights observed, and he's labeled a "militant atheist". The phrase is purely absurd! The religious are orders of magnitude more militant than the average outspoken atheist. The very fact that you don't see that speaks volumes in regard to how you allow you personal bias to guide you assessments.

I knew it was you even before I clicked the notification thingy. So you think you're some champion of good then? Do you really think that?
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 7:17:33 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 7:14:14 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 1/12/2015 7:07:41 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 1/12/2015 4:49:28 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Why? Do you think you are doing some good deed? Have you considered the ramifications of atheism? Oh, freedom for homosexuals? What about the myriads of psychological case studies of messed up atheists; their butchering women, children, and old people, as if some existential statement? Ol' Richie D himself condones the molestation of children. Let's not pretend militant atheism isn't just crying at God.

The appeal is to goodness, folks; not cosmic emptiness.

Let's start with the realization that "militant atheism" is a term accepted by the devoutly ignorant, and observationally short-sighted.

The religious frequently...
- Post signs and billboards with religious messages
- Collect over$71 billion in public taxpayer monies annually (in the U.S. alone)
- Lobby to pass legislation promoting their religious values
- Seek to invade public education with their theistic mythology
- Pedal their religious doctrines door-to-door
- Advertize their churches on radio, television and Internet
- Post their religious symbols and messages on public properties
- Organize their own schools to shelter their children from secular knowledge
- Promote wars founded on religious differences
- Hold public protests against all beliefs contrary to their own
- Stage terrorist attacks against those of contrary beliefs
- Pass out their religious propaganda to the public

But... let an atheist simply discuss the rational aspects of atheism, or lobby to have his Constitutionally guaranteed civil rights observed, and he's labeled a "militant atheist". The phrase is purely absurd! The religious are orders of magnitude more militant than the average outspoken atheist. The very fact that you don't see that speaks volumes in regard to how you allow you personal bias to guide you assessments.

I knew it was you even before I clicked the notification thingy. So you think you're some champion of good then? Do you really think that?

"Good"? Good is a subjective call, based on perspective. I'm more a champion of reason. And reason would suggest that reality holds no responsibility to cater to your emotional preferences.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 7:18:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 7:17:33 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 1/12/2015 7:14:14 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 1/12/2015 7:07:41 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 1/12/2015 4:49:28 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Why? Do you think you are doing some good deed? Have you considered the ramifications of atheism? Oh, freedom for homosexuals? What about the myriads of psychological case studies of messed up atheists; their butchering women, children, and old people, as if some existential statement? Ol' Richie D himself condones the molestation of children. Let's not pretend militant atheism isn't just crying at God.

The appeal is to goodness, folks; not cosmic emptiness.

Let's start with the realization that "militant atheism" is a term accepted by the devoutly ignorant, and observationally short-sighted.

The religious frequently...
- Post signs and billboards with religious messages
- Collect over$71 billion in public taxpayer monies annually (in the U.S. alone)
- Lobby to pass legislation promoting their religious values
- Seek to invade public education with their theistic mythology
- Pedal their religious doctrines door-to-door
- Advertize their churches on radio, television and Internet
- Post their religious symbols and messages on public properties
- Organize their own schools to shelter their children from secular knowledge
- Promote wars founded on religious differences
- Hold public protests against all beliefs contrary to their own
- Stage terrorist attacks against those of contrary beliefs
- Pass out their religious propaganda to the public

But... let an atheist simply discuss the rational aspects of atheism, or lobby to have his Constitutionally guaranteed civil rights observed, and he's labeled a "militant atheist". The phrase is purely absurd! The religious are orders of magnitude more militant than the average outspoken atheist. The very fact that you don't see that speaks volumes in regard to how you allow you personal bias to guide you assessments.

I knew it was you even before I clicked the notification thingy. So you think you're some champion of good then? Do you really think that?

"Good"? Good is a subjective call, based on perspective. I'm more a champion of reason. And reason would suggest that reality holds no responsibility to cater to your emotional preferences.

So you're just crying at God then. Or, uh, the unreasonable (supposedly).
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 7:24:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 7:18:50 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 1/12/2015 7:17:33 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 1/12/2015 7:14:14 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 1/12/2015 7:07:41 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 1/12/2015 4:49:28 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Why? Do you think you are doing some good deed? Have you considered the ramifications of atheism? Oh, freedom for homosexuals? What about the myriads of psychological case studies of messed up atheists; their butchering women, children, and old people, as if some existential statement? Ol' Richie D himself condones the molestation of children. Let's not pretend militant atheism isn't just crying at God.

The appeal is to goodness, folks; not cosmic emptiness.

Let's start with the realization that "militant atheism" is a term accepted by the devoutly ignorant, and observationally short-sighted.

The religious frequently...
- Post signs and billboards with religious messages
- Collect over$71 billion in public taxpayer monies annually (in the U.S. alone)
- Lobby to pass legislation promoting their religious values
- Seek to invade public education with their theistic mythology
- Pedal their religious doctrines door-to-door
- Advertize their churches on radio, television and Internet
- Post their religious symbols and messages on public properties
- Organize their own schools to shelter their children from secular knowledge
- Promote wars founded on religious differences
- Hold public protests against all beliefs contrary to their own
- Stage terrorist attacks against those of contrary beliefs
- Pass out their religious propaganda to the public

But... let an atheist simply discuss the rational aspects of atheism, or lobby to have his Constitutionally guaranteed civil rights observed, and he's labeled a "militant atheist". The phrase is purely absurd! The religious are orders of magnitude more militant than the average outspoken atheist. The very fact that you don't see that speaks volumes in regard to how you allow you personal bias to guide you assessments.

I knew it was you even before I clicked the notification thingy. So you think you're some champion of good then? Do you really think that?

"Good"? Good is a subjective call, based on perspective. I'm more a champion of reason. And reason would suggest that reality holds no responsibility to cater to your emotional preferences.

So you're just crying at God then. Or, uh, the unreasonable (supposedly).

Atheists cannot "cry at God". We can, however, attempt to reason with those who have invented God, and attempt to perpetuate belief in their fallacy.

I do have an idea I'd like to present for your consideration. What would you think about actually addressing my comments regarding the fallacy of "militant atheism"? After all, if you're going to debate, you might as well address what I've presented for you, rather than straining your eyes looking for a scab to pick.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 7:29:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 7:24:12 AM, Beastt wrote:
I do have an idea I'd like to present for your consideration. What would you think about actually addressing my comments regarding the fallacy of "militant atheism"? After all, if you're going to debate, you might as well address what I've presented for you, rather than straining your eyes looking for a scab to pick.

You just did that for me: "And reason would suggest that reality holds no responsibility to cater to your emotional preferences."

You stand for nothing but your own petty existential despair.

I'll throw in an Einstein quote on it too though: "From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist.... I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our being."
TrueScotsman
Posts: 515
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 7:43:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 6:44:08 AM, darthebearnc wrote:
At 1/12/2015 4:49:28 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Why? Do you think you are doing some good deed? Have you considered the ramifications of atheism? Oh, freedom for homosexuals? What about the myriads of psychological case studies of messed up atheists; their butchering women, children, and old people, as if some existential statement? Ol' Richie D himself condones the molestation of children. Let's not pretend militant atheism isn't just crying at God.

The appeal is to goodness, folks; not cosmic emptiness.

Militant atheists are doing 'some good deed' - we're trying to spread scientific/logical evidence about the universe to others and end the false belief in God. Religion is harmful to society (terrorism, discrimination, bigotry, Spanish Inquisition, Holocaust, etc.) and if it wasn't here, then the world would be a better place.

There are plenty of religious people that believe in science, such as big bang cosmology and evolution. So, it isn't really necessary to argue atheism (which gnostic atheism is a faith based position) when one can simply state the facts of science without appealing to philosophy, such as materialism.

Religion certainly has been used as justification for all kinds of terrible things, but if you think that religion is the only cause behind terrorism and these other problems then you are sadly ignorant.

Terrorism, bigotry and discrimination are not universal among all religious people, and the distinctions that separate those who practice these things and those who don't are key. For instance, I have never once in my life supported terrorism, bigotry or discrimination, yet I am religious. It's ideologies taken to the extreme which are then used to provide more power to a movement that are often the problem. For example, most terrorist groups are fighting not only for religious reasons, but also political and historical reasons, being radicalized by conflict with the west in the past.

Also, religion can be a huge motivation for many people to do good, to donate to charities and build hospitals, etc. In fact, studies have shown the religious people donate more, and the more religious you are the more you donate.

http://philanthropy.com...

The world would not be a better place without religion, because a world without religion would be a world of oppression, because that would be the only way to kill it. To kill freedom of thought.

This is why militant atheism or anti-theism makes no sense to me. Most militant atheists are simply reacting to problems that they had in the past growing up as a Christian most likely, not realizing that not everyone had their experience. Or perhaps it's a way to assert oneself as superior, to look down on all those "stupid ignorant religious people."

You mention that atheists also do horrible things - this is true, but it's not because they're atheist. Atheists don't do bad things because of atheism, while religious people often do bad things because of their religion (i.e. citing the Bible, Koran, etc. as an excuse for hatred, violence, and murder).

Atheists do bad things largely based off of warped secular ideologies, such as communism. It's not like doing away with religion would do away with extremism, where people can twist a belief system to justify atrocities.

Militant atheists are only such because we want to eradicate violence due to religion, and make a better world where there is more scientific knowledge and less religiously-inspired hatred.


Wanting to eradicate religion as a whole will not promote peace, it would take violence to eradicate religion.

When did Richard Dawkins promote child molestation?


He has promoted some pretty sick things, such as it is immoral for bringing in a child with any mental disorders such as down syndrome.

If you say militant atheism is "just crying at God," where is the scientific or logical evidence for God?

P.S. Here is *roughly* the atheist moral system:
http://en.wikipedia.org...
http://www.utilitarianism.com...
http://atheism.about.com...
http://kidswithoutgod.com...
http://www.patheos.com...
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 7:43:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
He might not be bulletproof, but he sure is bulproof lol.
A whole lot of atheism is resentment.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 7:45:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm not being fair though; I could slander the religious just as well. Nice to see you again, TrueScotsman. :)
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 7:52:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 7:43:14 AM, TrueScotsman wrote:
At 1/12/2015 6:44:08 AM, darthebearnc wrote:
At 1/12/2015 4:49:28 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Why? Do you think you are doing some good deed? Have you considered the ramifications of atheism? Oh, freedom for homosexuals? What about the myriads of psychological case studies of messed up atheists; their butchering women, children, and old people, as if some existential statement? Ol' Richie D himself condones the molestation of children. Let's not pretend militant atheism isn't just crying at God.

The appeal is to goodness, folks; not cosmic emptiness.

Militant atheists are doing 'some good deed' - we're trying to spread scientific/logical evidence about the universe to others and end the false belief in God. Religion is harmful to society (terrorism, discrimination, bigotry, Spanish Inquisition, Holocaust, etc.) and if it wasn't here, then the world would be a better place.

There are plenty of religious people that believe in science, such as big bang cosmology and evolution. So, it isn't really necessary to argue atheism (which gnostic atheism is a faith based position) when one can simply state the facts of science without appealing to philosophy, such as materialism.

Just to pick a nit (for the moment), when one tries to resolve evolution and theism, they do so through a pure misunderstanding of evolution. Evolution not only names the processes, but the mechanisms as well. And those mechanisms are all purely natural. To try to stack a supernatural agent above that is a violation of the theory, not a unification.

Secondly, atheism is a belief. It has always been a belief, whether you reference "gnostic atheism" or "agnostic atheism". There is no evidence contrary to atheism, just as there is no evidence contrary to disbelief in fairies or unicorns. All concepts of non-existence are supported by the lack of evidence for existence. (How do you know there isn't a warthog in your living room?) So agnostic atheism is NOT faith-based, anymore than disbelief in fairies and unicorns is faith-based. It's best you remember that.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
sdavio
Posts: 1,801
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 8:00:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Agreed about atheism, I find it utterly irritating at this point, but I think for me, it's because I find the concept of God itself quite boring. Atheists have an incredible capacity to find the easiest targets possible and keep making the same arguments over and over forever. I'd rather just pretend like religion doesn't exist, for the most part, because I'd like to forget that it does. It reminds me of when I see my parents watching TV including the ads; it's like, my life doesn't involve ads; I block them in firefox, I download all my shows / movies, I forget that they exist, and then it is painful to realize that something so mindless actually exists in the world. The idea, both of a person sitting and watching a series of ads, and someone sitting and debating religion both bring to mind banging my head against a wall indefinitely. The same with both atheists and religious people. I mean, it's beyond me how anyone could watch videos of Richard Dawkins debating theists and see anything but two people spouting extremely basic platitudes at each other.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
TrueScotsman
Posts: 515
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 8:03:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 7:52:09 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 1/12/2015 7:43:14 AM, TrueScotsman wrote:
At 1/12/2015 6:44:08 AM, darthebearnc wrote:
At 1/12/2015 4:49:28 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Why? Do you think you are doing some good deed? Have you considered the ramifications of atheism? Oh, freedom for homosexuals? What about the myriads of psychological case studies of messed up atheists; their butchering women, children, and old people, as if some existential statement? Ol' Richie D himself condones the molestation of children. Let's not pretend militant atheism isn't just crying at God.

The appeal is to goodness, folks; not cosmic emptiness.

Militant atheists are doing 'some good deed' - we're trying to spread scientific/logical evidence about the universe to others and end the false belief in God. Religion is harmful to society (terrorism, discrimination, bigotry, Spanish Inquisition, Holocaust, etc.) and if it wasn't here, then the world would be a better place.

There are plenty of religious people that believe in science, such as big bang cosmology and evolution. So, it isn't really necessary to argue atheism (which gnostic atheism is a faith based position) when one can simply state the facts of science without appealing to philosophy, such as materialism.

Just to pick a nit (for the moment), when one tries to resolve evolution and theism, they do so through a pure misunderstanding of evolution. Evolution not only names the processes, but the mechanisms as well. And those mechanisms are all purely natural. To try to stack a supernatural agent above that is a violation of the theory, not a unification.


Perhaps you should educate yourself on what we believe, there are many theists who believe that evolution is by natural selection.

http://biologos.org...

Most I have met, including myself, who embrace evolution and are theists, also embrace the mechanism by which evolution happened. Not that God was in the genome, changing it as he wanted to achieve his desired outcome.

Secondly, atheism is a belief. It has always been a belief, whether you reference "gnostic atheism" or "agnostic atheism". There is no evidence contrary to atheism, just as there is no evidence contrary to disbelief in fairies or unicorns. All concepts of non-existence are supported by the lack of evidence for existence. (How do you know there isn't a warthog in your living room?) So agnostic atheism is NOT faith-based, anymore than disbelief in fairies and unicorns is faith-based. It's best you remember that.

Gnostic atheism is not the same as agnostic atheism, as one says that their belief has 100% justification on account of their knowing there is no God. Agnostic atheists believe that knowledge of God is not possible and therefore on the lack of perceived evidence do not believe.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 8:03:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 8:00:12 AM, sdavio wrote:
Agreed about atheism, I find it utterly irritating at this point, but I think for me, it's because I find the concept of God itself quite boring. Atheists have an incredible capacity to find the easiest targets possible and keep making the same arguments over and over forever. I'd rather just pretend like religion doesn't exist, for the most part, because I'd like to forget that it does. It reminds me of when I see my parents watching TV including the ads; it's like, my life doesn't involve ads; I block them in firefox, I download all my shows / movies, I forget that they exist, and then it is painful to realize that something so mindless actually exists in the world. The idea, both of a person sitting and watching a series of ads, and someone sitting and debating religion both bring to mind banging my head against a wall indefinitely. The same with both atheists and religious people. I mean, it's beyond me how anyone could watch videos of Richard Dawkins debating theists and see anything but two people spouting extremely basic platitudes at each other.

I agree. I'm only here on request. The religion forum seems to me the refuge of the useless and the petty, to be honest. That said, its psychological implications are certainly interesting.
TrueScotsman
Posts: 515
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 8:11:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 8:00:12 AM, sdavio wrote:
Agreed about atheism, I find it utterly irritating at this point, but I think for me, it's because I find the concept of God itself quite boring. Atheists have an incredible capacity to find the easiest targets possible and keep making the same arguments over and over forever. I'd rather just pretend like religion doesn't exist, for the most part, because I'd like to forget that it does. It reminds me of when I see my parents watching TV including the ads; it's like, my life doesn't involve ads; I block them in firefox, I download all my shows / movies, I forget that they exist, and then it is painful to realize that something so mindless actually exists in the world. The idea, both of a person sitting and watching a series of ads, and someone sitting and debating religion both bring to mind banging my head against a wall indefinitely. The same with both atheists and religious people. I mean, it's beyond me how anyone could watch videos of Richard Dawkins debating theists and see anything but two people spouting extremely basic platitudes at each other.

It's seems you have discussed religion on this forum a bit, from taking a quick look at your posting history.