Jump to topic:

Why aren't Christians content?

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 11:52:02 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Yesterday, I was riding a bus (public transit) and on the windowsill next to me, there was a pamphlet. Curious, I unfolded it and began to read. It was another attempt by the Christian community to "open my eyes" to the grace of God. Now, there are people standing on corners with bibles preaching, while distributing their memorabilia with more...vigor, for the lack of a better word.

So here's my question: Why do Christians push so hard for "non-believers" to join their faith?

I ask this because I've found that those who believe in Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. seem to be content once they've found God and are less inclined to share it with others. I guess the question could also apply to those of the Islamic faith since it's the only other major religion that tries to convert the skeptical through public actions. So... let the debate begin.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 12:45:01 PM
So it's selfishness then, goody.

People want other people to agree with them, especially when they think it will make their lives better.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 12:50:19 PM
At 6/17/2010 11:52:02 AM, annhasle wrote:
I ask this because I've found that those who believe in Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. seem to be content once they've found God and are less inclined to share it with others. I guess the question could also apply to those of the Islamic faith since it's the only other major religion that tries to convert the skeptical through public actions. So... let the debate begin.

It's probably a combination of two reasons.

1. As Mirza said, one reason is that followers believe they may be rewarded for spreading the message.
2. They believe that you're going to suffer for eternity if you don't believe what they do, and you'll be in paradise forever if you do. Essentially, converting you is an infinite good.

Christianity [and Islam] are low maintenance self-propagating systems. Converts are pressed to convert more people, without the need for specific instruction and oversight from higher-ups.

Due to the dangers of faith, this is also one of the main reasons I push for increased skepticism in society. Skepticism is the only tool we have to stem the tide. Ridicule sometimes works too, since it shames people to the point where they'd rather keep their mouths shut about their religious beliefs. Your mileage may vary.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 12:59:57 PM
At 6/17/2010 12:45:01 PM, Yvette wrote:

People want other people to agree with them, especially when they think it will make their lives better.

Truly that is what you believe? Sad really that you think this way.

Well, although i don't agree with the method, i understand the reason. It is love that they feel for those that they believe to be lost. They really do wish to save others, not in some self affirming way to increase their flock, but rather as genuine concern about the fate of other people.

Personally, i believe in attraction not promotion.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 1:03:34 PM
I don't think Buddhists are content and keep to themselves.

The Buddha: "Preach it, make it known, establish it, open it, minutely explain it, and make it clear-until they, when others start vain doctrines, shall be able to vanquish and REFUTE them, and so to spread the wonderworking truth abroad. I shall not die until the pure religion of truth shall have become successful, prosperous, widespread, and popular in all its full extent-until, in a word, it shall have been well proclaimed among men!"

He didnt want converts really, he just wanted it to be spread and preserved.

And instead of crusading, he suggests debating and refuting false philosophies.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 1:19:36 PM
Also, I don't have a problem with Christians preaching. If they preach to me, I will simply preach back with Atheist rhetoric.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 1:23:22 PM
I haven't had Christians preach to me in a long time, but when they did I used to tell them off and just lie and say I'm Atheist and don't care to hear about Christ.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 1:26:57 PM
At 6/17/2010 1:23:22 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I haven't had Christians preach to me in a long time, but when they did I used to tell them off and just lie and say I'm Atheist and don't care to hear about Christ.

Why would say you're an Atheist? Who else are they trying to convert but Atheists and Agnostics?

You should just say you're already a Christian if you want to avoid hearing it. Or say you're an extreme Muslim who won't budge, lol.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 1:29:08 PM
At 6/17/2010 1:26:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/17/2010 1:23:22 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Why would say you're an Atheist? Who else are they trying to convert but Atheists and Agnostics?

Nah, it worked surprisingly. As soon as I said God doesn't exist they left me alone. I guess these Christians were probably pretty moderate then.

You should just say you're already a Christian if you want to avoid hearing it. Or say you're an extreme Muslim who won't budge, lol.

Yes. Just say I'm muslim. That would actually very likely shut them up, lol.
nickthengineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 1:39:11 PM

Or a desire, out of the goodness of the heart, to see souls saved from eternal damnation. But, you know, perceiving it as a selfish, self-bettering act isn't biased or anything so I guess your explanation works too.
I evolved from stupid. (http://www.debate.org...)
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 1:44:30 PM
At 6/17/2010 1:39:11 PM, nickthengineer wrote:

Or a desire, out of the goodness of the heart, to see souls saved from eternal damnation. But, you know, perceiving it as a selfish, self-bettering act isn't biased or anything so I guess your explanation works too.

I think if youre a Christian, you MUST preach. Otherwise, for you not to preach, you'd either have to believe Christianity is false and there is no hell for unbelievers, or you are content with others burning in hell.

Though, Yvette is right because her response was aims at Mirzas assertion which was selfish. Preaching for reward.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 1:48:27 PM
Not at all.

Is it selfishness to help others? Is it selfishness to spread the message to people, so they can be saved from suffering? If that is selfish to you, then start a debate about the definition of that word, so that I do not have to waste my time (3-4 hours) on going off-topic and discussing the definition of a word.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 2:00:04 PM
Because we are not all silly post modernists that believe "that everybody has their own truth". :)

I'm not sure why if you think you have the truth you shouldn't try to tell people about it.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 2:35:47 PM
Traditionally, people of the Jewish faith, Buddhist faith, etc. don't feel the obligation or need to spread their religion with others.

However, many Christians believe it is their duty to spread the Message of God and to open others to the Holy Bible. This has been going on for centuries. Do I agree with the practice? I'd say I tolerate it, as long as Christian groups stop showing up at funerals of homosexuals or other "anti-Christian lifestyle followers" in order to make a scene to try to stir their beliefs.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 3:05:04 PM
At 6/17/2010 2:00:04 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Because we are not all silly post modernists that believe "that everybody has their own truth". :)

I'm not sure why if you think you have the truth you shouldn't try to tell people about it.

Spot on, on both points. Thank you.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 3:06:38 PM
Yesterday, I was riding a bus (public transit) and on the windowsill next to me, there was a pamphlet. Curious, I unfolded it and began to read. It was another attempt by the Christian community to "open my eyes" to the grace of God. Now, there are people standing on corners with bibles preaching, while distributing their memorabilia with more...vigor, for the lack of a better word.

So here's my question: Why do Christians push so hard for "non-believers" to join their faith?

Religion = lol @ eggleston

In other words, it's a meme.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 3:08:37 PM
TRUE Christians should seek converts.

Saving people from Eternal Torment would definitely be the right thing to do.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 3:14:54 PM
At 6/17/2010 2:35:47 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Traditionally, people of the Jewish faith, Buddhist faith, etc. don't feel the obligation or need to spread their religion with others.

The role of a Jew is to be a messenger. Christians have Jesus as messenger whereas all Jews are called upon to take that role. And regarding Buddhism, did you read my post on the first page? There is also what is called engaged Buddhism which aims to apply it everywhere in the world.

However, many Christians believe it is their duty to spread the Message of God and to open others to the Holy Bible. This has been going on for centuries. Do I agree with the practice? I'd say I tolerate it,

You tolerate it? Christianity asks that all Christians preach the good news and you're against it? (if you tolerate something, that means you are against it)
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 4:16:19 PM
Ok, so some believe it to be because of selfishness and others think it is the right thing to do as a believer....Interesting.

I don't know if it's truly because they want non-believers to avoid burning in hell... If by telling them you were atheist or Muslim, and they stop, isn't that letting the skeptic "burn in hell"? I point this out because here in Seattle, there are A LOT of Christians on street corners trying to persuade others into their faith, many times even Priests or Preachers. And each time they stop me, which happens frequently (I wear a lot of black :D), I always say "Sorry, I don't believe there is a God." Now, at this point if they were there to save me from eternal damnation, they should continue. But they always walk away to the next person.

That seems out of character of the "loving Christian" you all have talked about.

But also, the ideals of God have been pretty much spread across the globe at this point. Anyone that has a question about Christianity or want to know more about it, can either go online, go to a library or walk down any street until you find a church. It's not as if the religion is scarce and needs followers.

So why do they continue to preach? I believe that if you are not committed to Christianity at this point, it isn't because of a lack of knowledge but because you don't WANT to partake in their spiritual practices. Do you still get "Good Christian Points" if you try persuading those who obviously don't want to be Christian? And if so, why?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 4:24:54 PM
At 6/17/2010 1:39:11 PM, nickthengineer wrote:

or the fact more followers = More money.

It's also a feeling of self-satisfaction if you convert someone, and completing a task for your cult which rewards you with a positive community atmosphere also fuels this.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
lastrequest691
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 11:26:46 PM
Hindus and Buddhists believe that all religions are path that lead to the same God or gods so they don't preach.

That is all I have to say.

I also have hindu and buddhists living around me but I never force my religion on them. Not all of us do that.
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 11:43:19 PM
At 6/17/2010 11:26:46 PM, lastrequest691 wrote:
Hindus and Buddhists believe that all religions are path that lead to the same God or gods so they don't preach.

Buddhists are Atheists. Hindus don't have much to say about other religions. Hindus also believe in a power higher than God as well. They believe in a bunch of lower gods, one supreme omnipotent God, and then they believe in an infinite impersonal consciousness called Brahman. Also, Hindus believe in reincarnation, Abrahamic religions accept only one life and one afterlife.

That is all I have to say.

I also have hindu and buddhists living around me but I never force my religion on them. Not all of us do that.

The Bible asks you to preach the Good News, aka the Gospels.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2010 6:10:35 AM
: At 6/17/2010 11:52:02 AM, annhasle wrote:

It is commanded of us to in Scripture. Also if no one preached the Gospel, such a St Paul, you would know of Christianity today. And the will of God would have failed, but that is a myth. It has happened. And in those last days, many will proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ. We push so hard, because each true convert has experienced truth, a well know psychologist said once, "I couldn't describe it as anything but the truth." Now we are each to compell the gospel to the world just as St Paul did.

And it is the truth!
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2010 6:24:58 AM
It is commanded of us to in Scripture. Also if no one preached the Gospel, such a St Paul, you wouldn't know of Christianity today. And the will of God would have failed, but that is a myth. It has happened. And in those last days, many will proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ. We push so hard, because each true convert has experienced truth, a well know psychologist said once, "I couldn't describe it as anything but the truth." Now we are each to compell the gospel to the world just as St Paul did. It is not that we have to do it in such, rather we should want to do it and I do.

And it is the truth!
contra_profligates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2010 1:46:58 PM
I think this question commits the begging the question fallacy; namely, one must establish within the context of the event you recounted whether 1) the christian who left the brochure is not content and, 2) whether this discontentment (if true) is applicable to all christians who leave tracts.

Once this has been established then one could pose the "why" question. since it seems that there are other reasons for leaving tracts besides being discontent then I think the question has gotten ahead of itself.

It seems that if someone watched a great movie and wanted to tell everyone about it even through the means of tracts most people would not think this person was discontent but wanted to share something they felt was worthy (in this case worth watching). I have seen rules and regulations posted on public transit concerning passenger conduct and the consequences for violating them. Is this because the person writing the rules is not content in understanding the rules alone but must share the rules in order to feel content. It seems more reasonable to hold that the writer not only wants people to be aware of the rules so as to follow them but wants people to understand the severity of the consequences of not following the rules so that they might find motivation to avoid these consequences.

Only someone with ill intent would keep someone from knowing the rules and consequences so that they could stand by and watch ignorant people become the sufferers of those consequences.
contra_profligates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2010 2:21:02 PM
At 6/19/2010 1:46:58 PM, contra_profligates wrote:
I think this question commits the begging the question fallacy; namely, one must establish within the context of the event you recounted whether 1) the christian who left the brochure is not content and, 2) whether this discontentment (if true) is applicable to all christians who leave tracts.

Once this has been established then one could pose the "why" question. since it seems that there are other reasons for leaving tracts besides being discontent then I think the question has gotten ahead of itself.

It seems that if someone watched a great movie and wanted to tell everyone about it even through the means of tracts most people would not think this person was discontent but wanted to share something they felt was worthy (in this case worth watching). I have seen rules and regulations posted on public transit concerning passenger conduct and the consequences for violating them. Is this because the person writing the rules is not content in understanding the rules alone but must share the rules in order to feel content. It seems more reasonable to hold that the writer not only wants people to be aware of the rules so as to follow them but wants people to understand the severity of the consequences of not following the rules so that they might find motivation to avoid these consequences.

Only someone with ill intent would keep someone from knowing the rules and consequences so that they could stand by and watch ignorant people become the sufferers of those consequences.

-- or if you don't like it being called "begging the question" then call it the "complex question fallacy"
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 3:13:40 AM

Because Jesus TOLD us to!
The Cross.. the Cross.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 10:11:09 AM

go to 6:00 in the video and Lookadoo will explain why we are not content. there is a fire within us that we cannot contain. we must let and out by professing this good news, gods holy word. We simply cannot help ourselves.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.