What is sin?

dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 4:28:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/12/2015 4:19:59 PM, Skyangel wrote:
What is sin and where does it comes from?

Sin is an imaginary disease foisted off on believers so they will have to pay for the cure by abject submission to the will of the one who created both.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 4:40:53 PM
At 1/12/2015 4:28:39 PM, dhardage wrote:

Sin is an imaginary disease foisted off on believers so they will have to pay for the cure by abject submission to the will of the one who created both.

Who created the imaginary disease and cure?
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 4:43:18 PM
At 1/12/2015 4:40:53 PM, Skyangel wrote:

The types who wrote and interpreted their holy books to give them a means of controlling a large mass of people without recourse to violence or armies. To paraphrase Mark Twain, religion (and sin) was created when the first con man met his first mark.
LostintheEcho1498
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 4:48:43 PM

Just as a general saying, if there is no sin, there is no good either. That means we would only do things for the sake of survival and bettering ourselves. I am positive that I don't only do things for myself so that is pretty clearly wrong...If we assume that sin is imaginary then so is good. So is right. Without right, there is no wrong. To argue there is neither one or the other is wrong(not as in a sin..).
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 4:50:46 PM
At 1/12/2015 4:48:43 PM, LostintheEcho1498 wrote:

Just as a general saying, if there is no sin, there is no good either. That means we would only do things for the sake of survival and bettering ourselves. I am positive that I don't only do things for myself so that is pretty clearly wrong...If we assume that sin is imaginary then so is good. So is right. Without right, there is no wrong. To argue there is neither one or the other is wrong(not as in a sin..).

Wrong and sin are not synonymous so your saying is invalid. Right and wrong are a different matter entirely.
IRONHIDE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 4:50:47 PM

1 Corinthians 15:56 helps shine some light on this question.

"The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 4:54:26 PM
At 1/12/2015 4:50:47 PM, IRONHIDE wrote:

Whose law? That makes it seem like there's only one and there are as many legal systems as there are groups of humans on the planet.
LostintheEcho1498
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 4:54:41 PM
At 1/12/2015 4:50:46 PM, dhardage wrote:

Wrong and sin are not synonymous so your saying is invalid. Right and wrong are a different matter entirely.

sin1
sin/
noun
an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.
"a sin in the eyes of God"
synonyms:immoral act, wrong, wrongdoing, act of evil/wickedness, transgression, crime, offense, misdeed, misdemeanor;

(https://www.google.com...)

Notice one of the synonyms is wrong.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 4:56:39 PM
At 1/12/2015 4:54:41 PM, LostintheEcho1498 wrote:

sin1
sin/
noun
synonyms:immoral act, wrong, wrongdoing, act of evil/wickedness, transgression, crime, offense, misdeed, misdemeanor;

An imperfect synonym at best. Sin is ascribed to violation of a divine law of some sort while wrong has numerous different meanings as well. Is having sex outside of marriage really wrong, or just against the writings in some ancient book?
IRONHIDE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 5:01:58 PM
At 1/12/2015 4:54:26 PM, dhardage wrote:

Whose law? That makes it seem like there's only one and there are as many legal systems as there are groups of humans on the planet.

Like you noted in definition you provided to another poster. " Divine Law" Gods law.

Further it is only "sin" if the individual KNOWS and proceeds to do it. Scripture says, to the one who does not KNOW to him it is NOT "sin"
LostintheEcho1498
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 5:05:21 PM
At 1/12/2015 4:56:39 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/12/2015 4:54:41 PM, LostintheEcho1498 wrote:

sin1
sin/
noun

An imperfect synonym at best. Sin is ascribed to violation of a divine law of some sort while wrong has numerous different meanings as well. Is having sex outside of marriage really wrong, or just against the writings in some ancient book?

So first you try to discredit a dictionary and then go on to ask where these moral laws come from. Tell me. Where did these "rights" and "wrongs" pop up from? Did someone just decide one day "nah lets not do that". I don't really think so. Right is considered right and wrong considered wrong because, for generations, religion has been telling us so. You ask is sex outside of marriage really wrong. Yes. It is. Sex is something that should only happen within the confines of marriage. Why? Because God said so. If we want to ask these questions we could move on to why can't I go and massacre 30 people? Why is it wrong? Less people on Earth means more stuff for me. According to that ideal terrorists have it right. Take down government, take out society, and put myself on top. Why is it wrong to rape people? According to survival, I want to ensure the growth of my progeny. Why is it wrong to steal? I get something and get to keep what I already have. Why are these things wrong? Because we have been told so.
ACHOSEN1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 5:10:07 PM

What books do you guys read to get your information from?
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 5:26:59 PM

Here is my two cents worth. Sin is is not necessarily related to morals or doing the "right" or "wrong" thing - but rather doing the best thing for ourselves and our fellow humans.

From a Christian point of view God loves us and wants the best for us so anything we do that is not in the best interest of our well being could be considered a "sin".

For example the Sabbath is meant to be kept holy, by basically doing nothing all day and relaxing. That means you, your wife/mum and even the animals in the field. If we decide to work, is it "wrong"? - I doubt it. But what happens to our body psychologically and physiologically if we do not have adequate rest? The Sabbath isn't just for God - it is for us. All the meals had to be prepared the day before to give the woman a break - otherwise they never get one.

The same can be said for pre-marital sex...is it wrong, or just potentially an unwise choice that can lead unintended consequences such as decease, pregnancy, etc etc

So when humans are said to be sinful, does it mean they are really bad people - or just a little stupid and do lots of self destructive actions that result in them not reaching their full potential.
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 6:16:45 PM

Do you think sin is an action or something else? Just wondering because your comment seems to concentrate on "doing things"

Do you think sin is necessary in order to know the difference between good and evil?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 6:18:36 PM
At 1/12/2015 4:43:18 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/12/2015 4:40:53 PM, Skyangel wrote:

The types who wrote and interpreted their holy books to give them a means of controlling a large mass of people without recourse to violence or armies. To paraphrase Mark Twain, religion (and sin) was created when the first con man met his first mark.

Do you think some people need to con others into believing there is something wrong with them so they submit to the con artist?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 6:21:09 PM

In what way are sin and wrong not synonymous?
Don't most people believe sin is an act of wrong doing which is also wrong, bad or evil?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 6:26:01 PM

Those words are nothing but useless religious garbage to those who can make no sense of it so maybe you would like to explain the meaning to those readers?

What does it mean that the sting of death is sin? Is there something wrong with death?

What does it mean that the strength of sin is the law? Does the law give lawbreakers power or strength to break the law?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 6:33:09 PM

Sin is the last bastion of ignorant fear left to those who would use it to control others.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 6:36:37 PM

Sin is something that corrupts and kills (physically or mentally or spiritually) and it comes from man's thoughts and imaginations since the next step is to act upon it.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 6:37:32 PM
At 1/12/2015 5:01:58 PM, IRONHIDE wrote:

Like you noted in definition you provided to another poster. " Divine Law" Gods law.

Further it is only "sin" if the individual KNOWS and proceeds to do it. Scripture says, to the one who does not KNOW to him it is NOT "sin"

Are you referring to the following?
James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

From the above scripture people IMPLY that those who do not know that something is bad are not sinning if they do it.

Scripture also says

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

It does not say which law so you could apply that principle to any law.
Any transgression of any law would be a sin against that particular law. Would it not?

Does that mean if you are unaware of a law and break it anyway, you have not transgressed the law?
IRONHIDE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 6:56:17 PM
At 1/12/2015 6:37:32 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 1/12/2015 5:01:58 PM, IRONHIDE wrote:

James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

From the above scripture people IMPLY that those who do not know that something is bad are not sinning if they do it.

Scripture also says

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Any transgression of any law would be a sin against that particular law. Would it not?

Does that mean if you are unaware of a law and break it anyway, you have not transgressed the law?

My position is this Sky, realizing others hold different views,

Sin no longer exist. "WHAT??" Some will say.. I can hear it now. However, I believe, according to scripture that Sin was abolished at Carvery when Christ was slain as the final sacrifice for the "Sins of the world"

Christ came not to abolish the "Law" but rather he FULLFILLED the "Law"

Much like a contactor who has a contract sends in subcontractors and fulfills the contract, the contractors contract has become fulfilled and is now void.

"The sting of death is sin, the power of sin is the law"

The sting no longer exist, because as I have shared before, I believe ALL will be resurrected to a spiritual creature and the power of sin no longer bears on humanity, because Jesus fulfilled the law upon his sacrifice.

"O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?"
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 8:28:25 PM

Seeing as you are over 50, I will assume that you have been married and have children, unless of course, your sexual preferences lie elsewhere?

But assuming that you do have children, do you allow them to spit in your face and abuse you, or do you require that they honour you, their parent? Do you honour your parents?

Do you invite others into your home in order to have sex with your partner? Or do you demand that no one jumps into the cot with your spouse? Have you ever broken the very law that you impose on others? Have you ever slept with someone other than your partner?

Do you demand that others should not steal from you? Have you ever broken the law that you have written in your own heart, and stolen from others, even the Government?

Have you ever borne false witness against your neighbour, when you detest those who would spread lies or unfounded rumours about you, etc, etc, etc.

Have you never felt guilt for doing to others, that which you forbid them to do to you?

Do you really believe that sin is an imaginary disease foisted off on believers so they will have to pay for the cure by abject submission to the will of the one who created both? Because my friend, you are no less a sinner than the rest of we, "The human race.," who cannot even obey the very laws that we impose on others.
The tongue, the sharp two edged sword that divides the spirit from the soul.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 8:34:28 PM

Sin is something which leaves you with the inescapable feeling that you've done something wrong, based on your own inner feelings and not the teachings of others. Many things can seem sinful in one instance and not in another. As long as you live by what you truly believe to be good and right then you are not sinning.
Gentorev
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 9:31:42 PM
At 1/12/2015 8:34:28 PM, Idealist wrote:

Sin is something which leaves you with the inescapable feeling that you've done something wrong, based on your own inner feelings and not the teachings of others. Many things can seem sinful in one instance and not in another. As long as you live by what you truly believe to be good and right then you are not sinning.

Never was a truer word spoken, thank you Idealist.

Jesus said in John 16: 8-9; that the people of the world are wrong about sin and about what is right and about God's judgement.

For the Lord God judges not on what you do,
The heart and soul of man he searches through.
It's the "Reason" why those deeds of man are done
This is what the Lord God judges on.

Sin was in the world long before the law was introduced through Moses, sin was introduced when the first human being who had evolved from the pre-human species, refused to obey the animal instincts (His parental spirit) within him.

Rather than obeying his indwelling spirit, he decided to judge for himself that which was good or bad. He was not true to "WHO HE WAS."

I am who I am and may i never lose sight
Of the fact that I am, "WHO I AM," day and night.
I'm not who I was, nor who I will be,
For "WHO I AM" is the name that my God gave to me.

Moses asked God for his name in order that he might be able to tell the Israelites in Egypt, who had sent him. And God said; Exodus 3: 14; "I Am Who I Am/YHVH." You must tell them: 'The one who is called "I AM/JHVH" has sent me to you.' Tell the Israelites that I, the Lord, the God of their ancestors, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, have sent you to them.

Jesus says in John 17: 11; Holy Father! Keep them safe by the power of your name, the name that you gave to me.

The only name in heaven or earth with the power to save: "I AM WHO I AM."

So get behind me you "Charlatan priests" and you shams
For I am true to my God, to "MY GOD" 'WHO I AM.'

The words of "Enoch," The indwelling spiritual Father spirit in the body of post-flood mankind; the only man to have ascended to the very ends of this cycle of Universal activity, where he was anointed by the Most High as his successor, as recorded in the book of Enoch the Prophet, 108: 11-13; "And now I will summon the spirits of the good who belong to the generation of light, and I will transform those who were born in darkness, who, in the flesh were not recompensed with such honour as their faithfulness deserved. And I shall bring forth in shining light, those who have loved my Holy Name (I Am Who I Am) and I will seat each one on the throne of his honour, And they shall be resplendent for times without number.
The tongue, the sharp two edged sword that divides the spirit from the soul.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 11:47:17 PM
At 1/12/2015 6:56:17 PM, IRONHIDE wrote:

Scripture also says

Sin no longer exist. "WHAT??" Some will say.. I can hear it now. However, I believe, according to scripture that Sin was abolished at Carvery when Christ was slain as the final sacrifice for the "Sins of the world"

You're right. My reaction was WHAT ???
Abolished at carvery? What was the chef carving up? I thought that typo was funny.
Obviously you meant Calvary.

However, where do you get the idea that sin was abolished and no longer exists? Don't you think anyone can transgress laws any more?

Correct. No law or sin has been abolished. Jesus fulfilled the law in the story. He abolished nothing.

Since Gods law has also not been abolished, it is still possible to break it and transgress the law. Those who believe people ought to abide by it, are therefore sinning against their own beliefs if they do something they believe they ought not do.

Much like a contractor who has a contract sends in subcontractors and fulfills the contract, the contractors contract has become fulfilled and is now void.

Laws are nothing like contracts for a job which can be finished. Laws are in effect till such a time as they are changed or annulled by those in authority.
The laws of the land or any religious laws can be fulfilled by anyone or broken by anyone. Just because they are fulfilled or obeyed by some people does not mean they are no longer in effect or can no longer be broken. Take road laws for example. They are always in effect and applicable to the road regardless of how many drivers drive properly and obey them and how many do not. Those who do the right thing don't change other peoples ability to do the wrong thing.
Sin/ lawbreaking in that case has not been abolished at all. The law still stands and those who break it still need to face the consequences of breaking it.

Jesus set an example to abide by the law. He did not abolish sin. He did not annihilate the ability to break the law.
He set an example of how to keep the law and told people to follow his example.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 11:51:23 PM

So basically you are saying sin is a violation of ones own conscience?
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 12:24:55 AM
At 1/12/2015 11:51:23 PM, Skyangel wrote:

So basically you are saying sin is a violation of ones own conscience?

That's a bit of a simplification, but basically yes, that is what I'm saying. It's a violation of your own inherent conscience in it's trues and purest form. People can always try to bury what they feel,or forget it, but it doesn't work.
IRONHIDE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 1:00:41 AM
At 1/12/2015 11:47:17 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 1/12/2015 6:56:17 PM, IRONHIDE wrote:

Scripture also says

You're right. My reaction was WHAT ???
Abolished at carvery? What was the chef carving up? I thought that typo was funny.
Obviously you meant Calvary.

However, where do you get the idea that sin was abolished and no longer exists? Don't you think anyone can transgress laws any more?

Correct. No law or sin has been abolished. Jesus fulfilled the law in the story. He abolished nothing.

Since Gods law has also not been abolished, it is still possible to break it and transgress the law. Those who believe people ought to abide by it, are therefore sinning against their own beliefs if they do something they believe they ought not do.

Colossians 2:14New International Version (NIV)

14"having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross.

Colossians 2:14King James Version (KJV)

14"Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

"ordinance" Strong's G1378 - dogma

doctrine, decree, ordinance
of public decrees
of the Roman Senate
of rulers
the rules and requirements of the law of Moses; carrying a suggestion of severity and of threatened judgment
of certain decrees of the apostles relative to right living

Much like a contractor who has a contract sends in subcontractors and fulfills the contract, the contractors contract has become fulfilled and is now void.

Laws are nothing like contracts for a job which can be finished. Laws are in effect till such a time as they are changed or annulled by those in authority.
The laws of the land or any religious laws can be fulfilled by anyone or broken by anyone. Just because they are fulfilled or obeyed by some people does not mean they are no longer in effect or can no longer be broken. Take road laws for example. They are always in effect and applicable to the road regardless of how many drivers drive properly and obey them and how many do not. Those who do the right thing don't change other peoples ability to do the wrong thing.
Sin/ lawbreaking in that case has not been abolished at all. The law still stands and those who break it still need to face the consequences of breaking it.

Jesus set an example to abide by the law. He did not abolish sin. He did not annihilate the ability to break the law.
He set an example of how to keep the law and told people to follow his example.
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 1:21:53 AM
At 1/12/2015 6:36:37 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Sin is something that corrupts and kills (physically or mentally or spiritually) and it comes from man's thoughts and imaginations since the next step is to act upon it.

Yes. It comes from us our desire for wrong or in this case to wrong God.

Genesis 6:5
And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

It would appear we were constantly wronging God.

As I believe the first time the word "sin" was used was with Cain for his thoughts of anger and face expression showed where his thoughts are in Genesis 4:7
If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

He had not opened the door yet but sin lieth within him. Once he killed Abel the act of the sin was completed or from that expression he opened the door.