Jump to topic:

Calling for debaters...

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 4:24:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
About to finish my debate with Yassine.. Looking to to yet more religious debates. I will debate virtually any resolution that doesn't relate to morals, I am especially interested in debating Qu'ranic composition and inerrancy (or lack thereof), but I'll do virtually any philosophical resolution.

I'll also do most resolutions on devils advocate, I am pretty sure I will give a better argument for the theist side than most theists so this is a good opportunity for atheists to have a good debate too.

So, who is in?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 5:26:27 PM
At 1/12/2015 4:24:00 PM, Envisage wrote:
About to finish my debate with Yassine.. Looking to to yet more religious debates. I will debate virtually any resolution that doesn't relate to morals, I am especially interested in debating Qu'ranic composition and inerrancy (or lack thereof), but I'll do virtually any philosophical resolution.

I'll also do most resolutions on devils advocate, I am pretty sure I will give a better argument for the theist side than most theists so this is a good opportunity for atheists to have a good debate too.

So, who is in?

I'm interested. I'll just need to figure out a topic I would have a chance of winning against you!
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 6:07:40 PM
At 1/12/2015 5:26:27 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

So, who is in?

I'm interested. I'll just need to figure out a topic I would have a chance of winning against you!

I am pretty sure you would most likely win most scholarly/history debate topics, so pick one of them!
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 5:24:17 AM

So, who is in?

A proud man doesn't know how proud he really is. To everyone else, he's only a fool.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 7:29:22 AM
At 1/13/2015 5:24:17 AM, bornofgod wrote:

So, who is in?

A proud man doesn't know how proud he really is. To everyone else, he's only a fool.

*ring ring*
Hey pot, this is kettle!
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 9:46:58 AM

I will debate virtually any resolution that doesn't relate to morals,...

Why not morals?
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 9:47:54 AM
At 1/13/2015 9:46:58 AM, ethang5 wrote:

Why not morals?

Bored of them, plus I am a nihilist...
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 9:51:25 AM
At 1/13/2015 9:47:54 AM, Envisage wrote:

Why not morals?

Well then, playing devils advocate with morality should suit you.

Are you sure you're bored? Or is it that you know you cannot defend against objective morality?
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 9:55:01 AM
At 1/13/2015 9:51:25 AM, ethang5 wrote:

Why not morals?

Are you sure you're bored? Or is it that you know you cannot defend against objective morality?

Cannot defend against objective morality? What kind of question is that? I have done tonnes of debates on the notion of it and moral nihilism, you only need to check my debate history to see that much.
YassineB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 10:51:01 AM

So, who is in?

Since I am a muslim, I can only debate properly in Islamic Topics, so here are my suggestions:

- Islamic Theology. (which I doubt you'd know much about, it's a whole different world)

- Preservation of the Qur'an.

- Preservation of the Hadith.

- Contradictions/Errors in the Qur'an.

- Violence in the Qur'an (or in the Hadith).

- Sexism/Racism in the Qur'an (or in Islam in general).

- Polygyny/Polyandry in Islam.

- Historicity of Muhammad.

- Prophethood of Muhammad.

- The Theory of the Soul (according to Islam).

- The Jinn (according to Islam).

- Slavery in Islam.

>>> Or any Islamic subject for that matter.
>>> You can pick from each separately or we can do two or three points in the same debate.
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:09:43 AM
At 1/12/2015 6:07:40 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 1/12/2015 5:26:27 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

So, who is in?

I am pretty sure you would most likely win most scholarly/history debate topics, so pick one of them!

Sounds like a hustle to me! ;-). I would be interested in something along the lines of the KJV is a poor translation of the Bible (I haven't exactly figured out how to word this), or according to the Bible, Adam and eve are not figurative, or some of the prophecies if you like. Feel free to tweak any of these and get back to me.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 12:12:02 PM
At 1/13/2015 9:55:01 AM, Envisage wrote:

Why not morals?

Cannot defend against objective morality? What kind of question is that? I have done tonnes of debates on the notion of it and moral nihilism, you only need to check my debate history to see that much.

I meant "successfully" debate against. And no, friends voting for you in a formal debate does not make you successful. But ok, I accept your answers. Good luck.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 12:52:35 PM

Why not morals?

...and I am open to other suggestions, as well

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 1:51:26 PM
At 1/13/2015 12:12:02 PM, ethang5 wrote:

Why not morals?

I meant "successfully" debate against. And no, friends voting for you in a formal debate does not make you successful. But ok, I accept your answers. Good luck.

Did you want to actually propose a debate topic or did you just come to take pot-shots?

If it's the latter, then you are being an arse.
If it was the former then propose a topic

You do also understand I have done numerous Devils advocate debates as well, right (where I argue for the theist position)? More than you have done genuine debates. Have you got anything if substance to say or are you just on DDO to try to make low-blows?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:31:30 PM
At 1/13/2015 7:29:22 AM, SNP1 wrote:
At 1/13/2015 5:24:17 AM, bornofgod wrote:

So, who is in?

*ring ring*
Hey pot, this is kettle!

I'm not pot and I could care less if you're a kettle.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 9:50:45 AM
At 1/13/2015 1:51:26 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 1/13/2015 12:12:02 PM, ethang5 wrote:

Why not morals?

Did you want to actually propose a debate topic or did you just come to take pot-shots?

I did not take any pot-shots at you. I asked you a question and you answered. No need to be so thin-skinned.

If it's the latter, then you are being an arse.

Let me guess. You are British, but have lived in America for a while? Brits are generally not vulgar, but if they hang around Americans long enough.... In which state did/do you reside?

If it was the former then propose a topic

I came to do neither. Formal debates here are not for people who truly like other people and simply want to engage because they find other people and their thoughts interesting.

But also your responses here show you are way too touchy for real debate. You seem to want to show everyone how great you are at debate. I only want to talk and grow by being exposed to what you believe.

You do also understand I have done numerous Devils advocate debates as well, right (where I argue for the theist position)? More than you have done genuine debates.

A genuine debate is where others vote for the "winner"? I concede the point then.

Have you got anything if substance to say or are you just on DDO to try to make low-blows?

The answer apparently depends on the size of the ego of whom you ask.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 11:19:07 AM

So, who is in?

I'm interested in picking up another debate. If you're not interested in the subjects I suggested, I am open to other topics. I would even be interested in gun control or abortion.

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 2:20:10 AM
I might want to debate something related to pascal's wager or religious experience.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 4:13:22 AM
At 1/16/2015 2:20:10 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
I might want to debate something related to pascal's wager or religious experience.

Give example resolutions and the side you want to take? I can do either.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 10:55:55 AM
At 1/16/2015 4:13:22 AM, Envisage wrote:

With the wager, something along the lines of believing in God is good for you, so most people have a good reason to believe in God. That is distinct from saying that most people have an all-things-considered reason(s) for believing in God and thus SHOULD be theists based on the wager (the may have other, better reasons to be a theist or non-theist). I'd be pro.

Or with religious experience I'd say that the argument from religious experience provides good reason for believing in God.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 11:24:01 AM
At 1/16/2015 10:55:55 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

With the wager, something along the lines of believing in God is good for you, so most people have a good reason to believe in God. That is distinct from saying that most people have an all-things-considered reason(s) for believing in God and thus SHOULD be theists based on the wager (the may have other, better reasons to be a theist or non-theist). I'd be pro.

Or with religious experience I'd say that the argument from religious experience provides good reason for believing in God.

Probably the religious experience one. I will send you the challenge in a couple days? Is God going to be defined in this debate?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 8:10:47 PM
At 1/16/2015 11:24:01 AM, Envisage wrote:

Probably the religious experience one. I will send you the challenge in a couple days? Is God going to be defined in this debate?

Okay! That's fine. :)
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 8:27:23 PM

So, who is in?

I'd be willing to debate something with you Envisage. Not in a while though.
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 8:27:40 PM
At 1/16/2015 11:24:01 AM, Envisage wrote:

By God I mean a supremely powerful, all-loving, and personal ground of being.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!