Jump to topic:

Atheist's Morality

XVIII18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 9:05:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I see a lot of posts on here about atheists's take on morality and if we can truly live by morals without religion (we clearly aren't rapists, murderers, etc.). So I'll propose what I view as my form of morality.

Science has pretty much come to the conclusion that everything in the universe has come from one singular point as in the big bang. Think about that, you, me, your animals, your computer, all of the materials in the universe. Essentially, all of us originate from this point, an all powerful, all important point. Look at what else came out of that, look at the beauty and immensity that is the universe, look at the beauty of the Earth and our solar system. All of these also came from the same exact point as us. The universe literally is a part of us and we are a part of it. As Carl Sagan once said: "We are all star stuff". Everyone else is also part of the universe and suddenly, it becomes a much bigger, more atrocious act to intentionally harm another (for me).

I can explain it further but that is the basis of it. That is my take on my own morality which has some Taoist/ Buddhist blends to it but truly nothing mystic or magical, just a reorganization of my own thinking.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 9:31:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Some religious people play the well if God doesn't exist why should we just rape, kill, torture etc etc.

And they don't realize it but that actually gives the game away. See those things are counter to well being. So once you link well being and "morality" well there you go.

I find it is the oppose that has a problem if you have a belief that God has a will and you must do that will even if that will will result in great harm, that person will do it anyway.

So I don't think it's the atheists we have to worry about its the God believer who doesn't factor harm into their moral equation.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12