Total Posts:78|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The Innocent and Mortality

jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
My 6 year old little girl asked me a question today. What happens when she dies? She said that she is afraid to die because she doesn't know what will happen after her.

This question is open to all walks of faith. To atheists, deists, and theists. As an agnostic I have no good answer for her and I am curious what advice the people of this forum can provide.

My first instinct is to tell her not to worry, but it's a valid question that demands an answer. I could explain to her that some people believe we die and become a part of the world. Some believe we have many lives to live. Some believe we go to heaven and live with God. And there are some who believe that we die and that our happiness in life is most important. I'm at a loss.

So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
12_13
Posts: 1,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 1:57:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

I believe in Bible God and I believe he is good. So I think nothing evil happens when people die. However in Biblical point of view some people get eternal life with God, others don"t. According to the Bible, eternal life is for righteous. And I have understood that righteousness is like right understanding and attitude.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

And why is the eternal life not for all? I think it is because, if those people who want evil, would also have eternal life, they would make that suffering for all others. Therefore it would not be good to let them also have eternal life. The other reason why they should not have eternal life is that they don"t want to be with God and they don"t want that what is good in God"s eyes.
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:03:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I've thought about this quite a bit because I also have young children (6 and 3). My wife and I agreed to tell them what we each think about it (she believes in reincarnation), and then explain that other people have different ideas about what happens, but that no one really knows for sure. For the child's anxiety, I've always liked the Mark Twain approach about not remembering the time before birth, and death potentially being the same. I also like the concept that the atoms that make up our bodies were parts of other things and will again become parts of other things when we die.
Fido
Posts: 357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:07:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
My 6 year old little girl asked me a question today. What happens when she dies? She said that she is afraid to die because she doesn't know what will happen after her.

This question is open to all walks of faith. To atheists, deists, and theists. As an agnostic I have no good answer for her and I am curious what advice the people of this forum can provide.

My first instinct is to tell her not to worry, but it's a valid question that demands an answer. I could explain to her that some people believe we die and become a part of the world. Some believe we have many lives to live. Some believe we go to heaven and live with God. And there are some who believe that we die and that our happiness in life is most important. I'm at a loss.

So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

I think I might say: I don't know; but at least we'll get to be together.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:16:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I would tell her it all depends on her beliefs.
Because the maggots will eventually get to Atheists and Christians alike with a subtle difference.
For atheists the maggots will poo out the digest parts in one place. But for Christians the maggots will scatter their poo all over the place because Jesus promised to come back and put the pieces together. Since Satan is still in charge he is making it impossible for Jesus to put the Christians together again.
So if she wants to be recognized by her friends she should want all her pieces to be together.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:24:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 2:03:06 PM, Burzmali wrote:
I've thought about this quite a bit because I also have young children (6 and 3). My wife and I agreed to tell them what we each think about it (she believes in reincarnation), and then explain that other people have different ideas about what happens, but that no one really knows for sure. For the child's anxiety, I've always liked the Mark Twain approach about not remembering the time before birth, and death potentially being the same. I also like the concept that the atoms that make up our bodies were parts of other things and will again become parts of other things when we die.

A good friend said the same thing about remembering the time before birth. Mark Twain is one of my favorite people. I told her that and she didn't understand. I think for a child that is a difficult concept. Even though it's very possible that it is our reality. She actually cried about this. So far I've been distracting her with baby bunny videos on YouTube. The theist approach is the easiest with children, but is not the honest approach. I feel like they need to understand there are no guarantees, but the concept is difficult to communicate in a way they will understand.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:27:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
My 6 year old little girl asked me a question today. What happens when she dies? She said that she is afraid to die because she doesn't know what will happen after her.

This question is open to all walks of faith. To atheists, deists, and theists. As an agnostic I have no good answer for her and I am curious what advice the people of this forum can provide.

My first instinct is to tell her not to worry, but it's a valid question that demands an answer. I could explain to her that some people believe we die and become a part of the world. Some believe we have many lives to live. Some believe we go to heaven and live with God. And there are some who believe that we die and that our happiness in life is most important. I'm at a loss.

So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

As much as I hate to quote a movie for such a serious question, I think Yoda said it best. "Soon I will rest, forever sleep". Death in the sleep at the end of the Day of Life when we all return to where we came from before we were born. It seems, perhaps, a bit simplistic but it doesn't lie or offer false hope.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:28:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 2:07:07 PM, Fido wrote:
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
My 6 year old little girl asked me a question today. What happens when she dies? She said that she is afraid to die because she doesn't know what will happen after her.

This question is open to all walks of faith. To atheists, deists, and theists. As an agnostic I have no good answer for her and I am curious what advice the people of this forum can provide.

My first instinct is to tell her not to worry, but it's a valid question that demands an answer. I could explain to her that some people believe we die and become a part of the world. Some believe we have many lives to live. Some believe we go to heaven and live with God. And there are some who believe that we die and that our happiness in life is most important. I'm at a loss.

So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

I think I might say: I don't know; but at least we'll get to be together.

It's interesting you say that. It was her main concern. Would I be with her?
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:33:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 2:24:21 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/14/2015 2:03:06 PM, Burzmali wrote:
I've thought about this quite a bit because I also have young children (6 and 3). My wife and I agreed to tell them what we each think about it (she believes in reincarnation), and then explain that other people have different ideas about what happens, but that no one really knows for sure. For the child's anxiety, I've always liked the Mark Twain approach about not remembering the time before birth, and death potentially being the same. I also like the concept that the atoms that make up our bodies were parts of other things and will again become parts of other things when we die.

A good friend said the same thing about remembering the time before birth. Mark Twain is one of my favorite people. I told her that and she didn't understand. I think for a child that is a difficult concept. Even though it's very possible that it is our reality. She actually cried about this. So far I've been distracting her with baby bunny videos on YouTube. The theist approach is the easiest with children, but is not the honest approach. I feel like they need to understand there are no guarantees, but the concept is difficult to communicate in a way they will understand.

I can see how the idea might be tough to comprehend. Has she differentiated between dreams and reality yet? I'm honestly asking because our 6 year old didn't really understand dreams as fake until recently. If she has, you might try talking about the period between falling asleep and wakefulness when you can't remember your dreams. There's an old saying about sleep being death that comes from that kind of comparison. Associating sleep with death in your child's mind might not be great, though. :)

If you want more than just the opinions of anonymous forum people, and are looking for non-theistic input, there's a book called Parenting Beyond Belief that I've heard covers death pretty well: http://www.amazon.com...
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:34:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 2:27:44 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
My 6 year old little girl asked me a question today. What happens when she dies? She said that she is afraid to die because she doesn't know what will happen after her.

This question is open to all walks of faith. To atheists, deists, and theists. As an agnostic I have no good answer for her and I am curious what advice the people of this forum can provide.

My first instinct is to tell her not to worry, but it's a valid question that demands an answer. I could explain to her that some people believe we die and become a part of the world. Some believe we have many lives to live. Some believe we go to heaven and live with God. And there are some who believe that we die and that our happiness in life is most important. I'm at a loss.

So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

As much as I hate to quote a movie for such a serious question, I think Yoda said it best. "Soon I will rest, forever sleep". Death in the sleep at the end of the Day of Life when we all return to where we came from before we were born. It seems, perhaps, a bit simplistic but it doesn't lie or offer false hope.
Maggots and Jesus and satan are not just false hopes. 2 billion Christians profess them and resurrection to be true. The child deserves a choice. We should offer her both sides of the truth.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:36:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 2:16:29 PM, Harikrish wrote:
I would tell her it all depends on her beliefs.
Because the maggots will eventually get to Atheists and Christians alike with a subtle difference.
For atheists the maggots will poo out the digest parts in one place. But for Christians the maggots will scatter their poo all over the place because Jesus promised to come back and put the pieces together. Since Satan is still in charge he is making it impossible for Jesus to put the Christians together again.
So if she wants to be recognized by her friends she should want all her pieces to be together.

Ew. Interesting concept though. I don't think I'll be telling her about maggots. She has trouble sleeping as it is. Lol!
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:38:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 2:28:12 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/14/2015 2:07:07 PM, Fido wrote:
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
My 6 year old little girl asked me a question today. What happens when she dies? She said that she is afraid to die because she doesn't know what will happen after her.

This question is open to all walks of faith. To atheists, deists, and theists. As an agnostic I have no good answer for her and I am curious what advice the people of this forum can provide.

My first instinct is to tell her not to worry, but it's a valid question that demands an answer. I could explain to her that some people believe we die and become a part of the world. Some believe we have many lives to live. Some believe we go to heaven and live with God. And there are some who believe that we die and that our happiness in life is most important. I'm at a loss.

So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

I think I might say: I don't know; but at least we'll get to be together.

It's interesting you say that. It was her main concern. Would I be with her?
I thought I addressed the same concerns in my post.

"So if she wants to be recognized by her friends she should want all her pieces to be together." And that would include mommy too!!!!
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:39:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 1:57:15 PM, 12_13 wrote:
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

I believe in Bible God and I believe he is good. So I think nothing evil happens when people die. However in Biblical point of view some people get eternal life with God, others don"t. According to the Bible, eternal life is for righteous. And I have understood that righteousness is like right understanding and attitude.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

And why is the eternal life not for all? I think it is because, if those people who want evil, would also have eternal life, they would make that suffering for all others. Therefore it would not be good to let them also have eternal life. The other reason why they should not have eternal life is that they don"t want to be with God and they don"t want that what is good in God"s eyes.

Why do think it is necessary for me to introduce the concept of eternal life and judgement? I don't know if psychologically that would do her any good. If anything it would instill fear. Do you think an innocent child needs to be afraid of sin and punishment?
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:43:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 2:34:47 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 1/14/2015 2:27:44 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
My 6 year old little girl asked me a question today. What happens when she dies? She said that she is afraid to die because she doesn't know what will happen after her.

This question is open to all walks of faith. To atheists, deists, and theists. As an agnostic I have no good answer for her and I am curious what advice the people of this forum can provide.

My first instinct is to tell her not to worry, but it's a valid question that demands an answer. I could explain to her that some people believe we die and become a part of the world. Some believe we have many lives to live. Some believe we go to heaven and live with God. And there are some who believe that we die and that our happiness in life is most important. I'm at a loss.

So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

As much as I hate to quote a movie for such a serious question, I think Yoda said it best. "Soon I will rest, forever sleep". Death in the sleep at the end of the Day of Life when we all return to where we came from before we were born. It seems, perhaps, a bit simplistic but it doesn't lie or offer false hope.
Maggots and Jesus and satan are not just false hopes. 2 billion Christians profess them and resurrection to be true. The child deserves a choice. We should offer her both sides of the truth.

Truth only has one side, that which comports with reality. Anything else is fiction or fantasy. I think its important that children are not fed false information. Isn't there a quote about wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it? (Matthew 7, if you're interested) Invoking the number of people who believe a fantasy doesn't make it any less of a fantasy.
Fido
Posts: 357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:47:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 2:28:12 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/14/2015 2:07:07 PM, Fido wrote:
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
My 6 year old little girl asked me a question today. What happens when she dies? She said that she is afraid to die because she doesn't know what will happen after her.

This question is open to all walks of faith. To atheists, deists, and theists. As an agnostic I have no good answer for her and I am curious what advice the people of this forum can provide.

My first instinct is to tell her not to worry, but it's a valid question that demands an answer. I could explain to her that some people believe we die and become a part of the world. Some believe we have many lives to live. Some believe we go to heaven and live with God. And there are some who believe that we die and that our happiness in life is most important. I'm at a loss.

So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

I think I might say: I don't know; but at least we'll get to be together.

It's interesting you say that. It was her main concern. Would I be with her?

Loneliness isn't half the problem of the dead that it is for the living. The philosophy of the individual that is responsible for so much of what we consider progress has made an absolute disease of loneliness. Of course; I don't suffer from that disease. I am a carrier.... Meaning an individualistic individual. But I don't really recommend it.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:47:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 2:36:47 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/14/2015 2:16:29 PM, Harikrish wrote:
I would tell her it all depends on her beliefs.
Because the maggots will eventually get to Atheists and Christians alike with a subtle difference.
For atheists the maggots will poo out the digest parts in one place. But for Christians the maggots will scatter their poo all over the place because Jesus promised to come back and put the pieces together. Since Satan is still in charge he is making it impossible for Jesus to put the Christians together again.
So if she wants to be recognized by her friends she should want all her pieces to be together.

Ew. Interesting concept though. I don't think I'll be telling her about maggots. She has trouble sleeping as it is. Lol!

Think how much more afraid she would be if mommy and her friends couldn't recognize her. And having her pieces together would make Jesus's job easier and mistakenly or not she would be put together and sent to heaven. Don't you want to see your child in heaven with you? This only works for atheists unfortunately. Christians can call Satan the spoiler/bummer, they blame Satan for everything else, anyway!!!
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:48:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 2:27:44 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
My 6 year old little girl asked me a question today. What happens when she dies? She said that she is afraid to die because she doesn't know what will happen after her.

This question is open to all walks of faith. To atheists, deists, and theists. As an agnostic I have no good answer for her and I am curious what advice the people of this forum can provide.

My first instinct is to tell her not to worry, but it's a valid question that demands an answer. I could explain to her that some people believe we die and become a part of the world. Some believe we have many lives to live. Some believe we go to heaven and live with God. And there are some who believe that we die and that our happiness in life is most important. I'm at a loss.

So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

As much as I hate to quote a movie for such a serious question, I think Yoda said it best. "Soon I will rest, forever sleep". Death in the sleep at the end of the Day of Life when we all return to where we came from before we were born. It seems, perhaps, a bit simplistic but it doesn't lie or offer false hope.

This is the Mark Twain concept and so far is the most common idea. There has to be a way to explain it to a 6 year old. But how?

The theist view would satisfy her. But it's a childlike belief and that is why. Maybe some people never grow out of it and that is why theism is so ingrained and popular. From childhood security to adult delusions. I don't know really. Just thinking out loud.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:49:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 2:39:16 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/14/2015 1:57:15 PM, 12_13 wrote:
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

I believe in Bible God and I believe he is good. So I think nothing evil happens when people die. However in Biblical point of view some people get eternal life with God, others don"t. According to the Bible, eternal life is for righteous. And I have understood that righteousness is like right understanding and attitude.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

And why is the eternal life not for all? I think it is because, if those people who want evil, would also have eternal life, they would make that suffering for all others. Therefore it would not be good to let them also have eternal life. The other reason why they should not have eternal life is that they don"t want to be with God and they don"t want that what is good in God"s eyes.

Why do think it is necessary for me to introduce the concept of eternal life and judgement? I don't know if psychologically that would do her any good. If anything it would instill fear. Do you think an innocent child needs to be afraid of sin and punishment?
But she can do with some natural science and biology. Even pick a favourite tree
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 2:55:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 2:48:00 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/14/2015 2:27:44 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
My 6 year old little girl asked me a question today. What happens when she dies? She said that she is afraid to die because she doesn't know what will happen after her.

This question is open to all walks of faith. To atheists, deists, and theists. As an agnostic I have no good answer for her and I am curious what advice the people of this forum can provide.

My first instinct is to tell her not to worry, but it's a valid question that demands an answer. I could explain to her that some people believe we die and become a part of the world. Some believe we have many lives to live. Some believe we go to heaven and live with God. And there are some who believe that we die and that our happiness in life is most important. I'm at a loss.

So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

As much as I hate to quote a movie for such a serious question, I think Yoda said it best. "Soon I will rest, forever sleep". Death in the sleep at the end of the Day of Life when we all return to where we came from before we were born. It seems, perhaps, a bit simplistic but it doesn't lie or offer false hope.

This is the Mark Twain concept and so far is the most common idea. There has to be a way to explain it to a 6 year old. But how?

The theist view would satisfy her. But it's a childlike belief and that is why. Maybe some people never grow out of it and that is why theism is so ingrained and popular. From childhood security to adult delusions. I don't know really. Just thinking out loud.

I can understand your quandary. I have been fortunate enough not to have close relative pass when my children were small but I faced similar questions. I explained that no one knew where we went after we left this life but I believed it was where we came from before we were born. I didn't know about Twain's concept at the time but it seemed the most direct and least....threatening....way to explain it.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 3:02:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 2:49:52 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 1/14/2015 2:39:16 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/14/2015 1:57:15 PM, 12_13 wrote:
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

I believe in Bible God and I believe he is good. So I think nothing evil happens when people die. However in Biblical point of view some people get eternal life with God, others don"t. According to the Bible, eternal life is for righteous. And I have understood that righteousness is like right understanding and attitude.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

And why is the eternal life not for all? I think it is because, if those people who want evil, would also have eternal life, they would make that suffering for all others. Therefore it would not be good to let them also have eternal life. The other reason why they should not have eternal life is that they don"t want to be with God and they don"t want that what is good in God"s eyes.

Why do think it is necessary for me to introduce the concept of eternal life and judgement? I don't know if psychologically that would do her any good. If anything it would instill fear. Do you think an innocent child needs to be afraid of sin and punishment?
But she can do with some natural science and biology. Even pick a favourite tree

She had a pet hamster die. His name was "Quest". That was a disaster. She wanted to keep him in the freezer forever. She finally forgot about it and I took him to the trashcan outside. Kids are difficult at their best. ;)
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 3:14:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 3:02:36 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/14/2015 2:49:52 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 1/14/2015 2:39:16 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/14/2015 1:57:15 PM, 12_13 wrote:
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

I believe in Bible God and I believe he is good. So I think nothing evil happens when people die. However in Biblical point of view some people get eternal life with God, others don"t. According to the Bible, eternal life is for righteous. And I have understood that righteousness is like right understanding and attitude.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

And why is the eternal life not for all? I think it is because, if those people who want evil, would also have eternal life, they would make that suffering for all others. Therefore it would not be good to let them also have eternal life. The other reason why they should not have eternal life is that they don"t want to be with God and they don"t want that what is good in God"s eyes.

Why do think it is necessary for me to introduce the concept of eternal life and judgement? I don't know if psychologically that would do her any good. If anything it would instill fear. Do you think an innocent child needs to be afraid of sin and punishment?
But she can do with some natural science and biology. Even pick a favourite tree

She had a pet hamster die. His name was "Quest". That was a disaster. She wanted to keep him in the freezer forever. She finally forgot about it and I took him to the trashcan outside. Kids are difficult at their best. ;)

But your daughter was right. That is how they preserve organs and people. Seeing her pet in the trash can would have hurt her more. A burial perhaps and a hint at a future reunion not unlike what I posted would prepare her for the medical sciences having conquered the fear of death so early in life.
That is why Christian children are afraid of death. Do they really want to end up like Jesus only flesh and bones, ghostly in appearance and unrecognizable even by his disciples.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 3:20:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 3:14:42 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 1/14/2015 3:02:36 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/14/2015 2:49:52 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 1/14/2015 2:39:16 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/14/2015 1:57:15 PM, 12_13 wrote:
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

I believe in Bible God and I believe he is good. So I think nothing evil happens when people die. However in Biblical point of view some people get eternal life with God, others don"t. According to the Bible, eternal life is for righteous. And I have understood that righteousness is like right understanding and attitude.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

And why is the eternal life not for all? I think it is because, if those people who want evil, would also have eternal life, they would make that suffering for all others. Therefore it would not be good to let them also have eternal life. The other reason why they should not have eternal life is that they don"t want to be with God and they don"t want that what is good in God"s eyes.

Why do think it is necessary for me to introduce the concept of eternal life and judgement? I don't know if psychologically that would do her any good. If anything it would instill fear. Do you think an innocent child needs to be afraid of sin and punishment?
But she can do with some natural science and biology. Even pick a favourite tree

She had a pet hamster die. His name was "Quest". That was a disaster. She wanted to keep him in the freezer forever. She finally forgot about it and I took him to the trashcan outside. Kids are difficult at their best. ;)

But your daughter was right. That is how they preserve organs and people. Seeing her pet in the trash can would have hurt her more. A burial perhaps and a hint at a future reunion not unlike what I posted would prepare her for the medical sciences having conquered the fear of death so early in life.
That is why Christian children are afraid of death. Do they really want to end up like Jesus only flesh and bones, ghostly in appearance and unrecognizable even by his disciples.

Of course they don't. Christianity is scary, even to adults. The most frightened and paranoid people I've known have been Christians. That's why I hesitate to take the easy way out and tell her a pleasant story about how we will all hang out in heaven. Heaven seems to be a Christian construct. As is Hell.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 3:31:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 3:20:25 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/14/2015 3:14:42 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 1/14/2015 3:02:36 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/14/2015 2:49:52 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 1/14/2015 2:39:16 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/14/2015 1:57:15 PM, 12_13 wrote:
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

I believe in Bible God and I believe he is good. So I think nothing evil happens when people die. However in Biblical point of view some people get eternal life with God, others don"t. According to the Bible, eternal life is for righteous. And I have understood that righteousness is like right understanding and attitude.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

And why is the eternal life not for all? I think it is because, if those people who want evil, would also have eternal life, they would make that suffering for all others. Therefore it would not be good to let them also have eternal life. The other reason why they should not have eternal life is that they don"t want to be with God and they don"t want that what is good in God"s eyes.

Why do think it is necessary for me to introduce the concept of eternal life and judgement? I don't know if psychologically that would do her any good. If anything it would instill fear. Do you think an innocent child needs to be afraid of sin and punishment?
But she can do with some natural science and biology. Even pick a favourite tree

She had a pet hamster die. His name was "Quest". That was a disaster. She wanted to keep him in the freezer forever. She finally forgot about it and I took him to the trashcan outside. Kids are difficult at their best. ;)

But your daughter was right. That is how they preserve organs and people. Seeing her pet in the trash can would have hurt her more. A burial perhaps and a hint at a future reunion not unlike what I posted would prepare her for the medical sciences having conquered the fear of death so early in life.
That is why Christian children are afraid of death. Do they really want to end up like Jesus only flesh and bones, ghostly in appearance and unrecognizable even by his disciples.

Of course they don't. Christianity is scary, even to adults. The most frightened and paranoid people I've known have been Christians. That's why I hesitate to take the easy way out and tell her a pleasant story about how we will all hang out in heaven. Heaven seems to be a Christian construct. As is Hell.

And don't forget Christians are constantly putting the fear of the devil/satan in children's heads. Imagine if she thought satan was really a friend on her side and so was Jesus inadvertently. She might even start breeding Christian friendly maggots as a science project. Think how much Christians would pay for that. Never underestimate a child's propensity to shock or surprise.
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 3:56:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
My 6 year old little girl asked me a question today. What happens when she dies? She said that she is afraid to die because she doesn't know what will happen after her.

This question is open to all walks of faith. To atheists, deists, and theists. As an agnostic I have no good answer for her and I am curious what advice the people of this forum can provide.

My first instinct is to tell her not to worry, but it's a valid question that demands an answer. I could explain to her that some people believe we die and become a part of the world. Some believe we have many lives to live. Some believe we go to heaven and live with God. And there are some who believe that we die and that our happiness in life is most important. I'm at a loss.

So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

I would tell her that we all have to die in this world first before we awaken in brand new bodies that will never die again. I would explain to her that none of us will remember living and dying in this world because it would be very unfair for some people to retain memories of bad experiences such as being hungry and starving to death like many children have gone through or being involved in wars and watching people get killed while other people had a good life in this world and have nothing but good memories. I would tell her that we all start a brand new life with brand new memories that will never cause us bad experiences again.

By keeping is simple, she will be satisfied for now. I have shared this good news with many young people from the ages of 8 to early 20's and they all love hearing the Truth. It's best to give them the Truth at an early age before they start getting deceived by religious people who say they will go to hell if they don't believe their false gods and religious dogma.

Isaiah 65
16: So that he who blesses himself in the land shall bless himself by the God of truth, and he who takes an oath in the land shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten and are hid from my eyes.
17: "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind.
18: But be glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
19: I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and be glad in my people; no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping and the cry of distress.

Tell her that ALL God's people will never suffer and die again after we all die in this world.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 4:22:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 3:56:13 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
My 6 year old little girl asked me a question today. What happens when she dies? She said that she is afraid to die because she doesn't know what will happen after her.

This question is open to all walks of faith. To atheists, deists, and theists. As an agnostic I have no good answer for her and I am curious what advice the people of this forum can provide.

My first instinct is to tell her not to worry, but it's a valid question that demands an answer. I could explain to her that some people believe we die and become a part of the world. Some believe we have many lives to live. Some believe we go to heaven and live with God. And there are some who believe that we die and that our happiness in life is most important. I'm at a loss.

So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

I would tell her that we all have to die in this world first before we awaken in brand new bodies that will never die again. I would explain to her that none of us will remember living and dying in this world because it would be very unfair for some people to retain memories of bad experiences such as being hungry and starving to death like many children have gone through or being involved in wars and watching people get killed while other people had a good life in this world and have nothing but good memories. I would tell her that we all start a brand new life with brand new memories that will never cause us bad experiences again.

By keeping is simple, she will be satisfied for now. I have shared this good news with many young people from the ages of 8 to early 20's and they all love hearing the Truth. It's best to give them the Truth at an early age before they start getting deceived by religious people who say they will go to hell if they don't believe their false gods and religious dogma.

Isaiah 65
16: So that he who blesses himself in the land shall bless himself by the God of truth, and he who takes an oath in the land shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten and are hid from my eyes.
17: "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind.
18: But be glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
19: I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and be glad in my people; no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping and the cry of distress.

Tell her that ALL God's people will never suffer and die again after we all die in this world.
Isn't your verse from a religious book? Did you not say religious people deceive by putting fear in people. But Isaiah was a religious prophet who you quoted.
Did not the Jews reject Isaiah and also crucify Jesus who claimed he was the suffering saviour Isaiah spoke of. That is 3000 years of BS you have spewed to a child. Where the Jews lost their faith , a carpenter dies and the Romans slaughter the Jews and steal their religion after destroying their holiest temple.
Please, she is only 6 years old child and not some brain dead Christian with no recollection of what he was, or all that he cherished. Just left with a blank memory to help him deny even his own humanity.
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 8:11:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 4:22:28 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 1/14/2015 3:56:13 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
My 6 year old little girl asked me a question today. What happens when she dies? She said that she is afraid to die because she doesn't know what will happen after her.

This question is open to all walks of faith. To atheists, deists, and theists. As an agnostic I have no good answer for her and I am curious what advice the people of this forum can provide.

My first instinct is to tell her not to worry, but it's a valid question that demands an answer. I could explain to her that some people believe we die and become a part of the world. Some believe we have many lives to live. Some believe we go to heaven and live with God. And there are some who believe that we die and that our happiness in life is most important. I'm at a loss.

So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

I would tell her that we all have to die in this world first before we awaken in brand new bodies that will never die again. I would explain to her that none of us will remember living and dying in this world because it would be very unfair for some people to retain memories of bad experiences such as being hungry and starving to death like many children have gone through or being involved in wars and watching people get killed while other people had a good life in this world and have nothing but good memories. I would tell her that we all start a brand new life with brand new memories that will never cause us bad experiences again.

By keeping is simple, she will be satisfied for now. I have shared this good news with many young people from the ages of 8 to early 20's and they all love hearing the Truth. It's best to give them the Truth at an early age before they start getting deceived by religious people who say they will go to hell if they don't believe their false gods and religious dogma.

Isaiah 65
16: So that he who blesses himself in the land shall bless himself by the God of truth, and he who takes an oath in the land shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten and are hid from my eyes.
17: "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind.
18: But be glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
19: I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and be glad in my people; no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping and the cry of distress.

Tell her that ALL God's people will never suffer and die again after we all die in this world.
Isn't your verse from a religious book? Did you not say religious people deceive by putting fear in people. But Isaiah was a religious prophet who you quoted.
Did not the Jews reject Isaiah and also crucify Jesus who claimed he was the suffering saviour Isaiah spoke of. That is 3000 years of BS you have spewed to a child. Where the Jews lost their faith , a carpenter dies and the Romans slaughter the Jews and steal their religion after destroying their holiest temple.
Please, she is only 6 years old child and not some brain dead Christian with no recollection of what he was, or all that he cherished. Just left with a blank memory to help him deny even his own humanity.

God and His prophets and us saints are not religious at all. God's people become religious with all their false deities and false gods they build. They made the writings of the prophets and us saints look religious by adding all their religious ideas in their Bible.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 8:32:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 8:11:00 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 1/14/2015 4:22:28 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 1/14/2015 3:56:13 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
My 6 year old little girl asked me a question today. What happens when she dies? She said that she is afraid to die because she doesn't know what will happen after her.

This question is open to all walks of faith. To atheists, deists, and theists. As an agnostic I have no good answer for her and I am curious what advice the people of this forum can provide.

My first instinct is to tell her not to worry, but it's a valid question that demands an answer. I could explain to her that some people believe we die and become a part of the world. Some believe we have many lives to live. Some believe we go to heaven and live with God. And there are some who believe that we die and that our happiness in life is most important. I'm at a loss.

So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

I would tell her that we all have to die in this world first before we awaken in brand new bodies that will never die again. I would explain to her that none of us will remember living and dying in this world because it would be very unfair for some people to retain memories of bad experiences such as being hungry and starving to death like many children have gone through or being involved in wars and watching people get killed while other people had a good life in this world and have nothing but good memories. I would tell her that we all start a brand new life with brand new memories that will never cause us bad experiences again.

By keeping is simple, she will be satisfied for now. I have shared this good news with many young people from the ages of 8 to early 20's and they all love hearing the Truth. It's best to give them the Truth at an early age before they start getting deceived by religious people who say they will go to hell if they don't believe their false gods and religious dogma.

Isaiah 65
16: So that he who blesses himself in the land shall bless himself by the God of truth, and he who takes an oath in the land shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten and are hid from my eyes.
17: "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind.
18: But be glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
19: I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and be glad in my people; no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping and the cry of distress.

Tell her that ALL God's people will never suffer and die again after we all die in this world.
Isn't your verse from a religious book? Did you not say religious people deceive by putting fear in people. But Isaiah was a religious prophet who you quoted.
Did not the Jews reject Isaiah and also crucify Jesus who claimed he was the suffering saviour Isaiah spoke of. That is 3000 years of BS you have spewed to a child. Where the Jews lost their faith , a carpenter dies and the Romans slaughter the Jews and steal their religion after destroying their holiest temple.
Please, she is only 6 years old child and not some brain dead Christian with no recollection of what he was, or all that he cherished. Just left with a blank memory to help him deny even his own humanity.

God and His prophets and us saints are not religious at all. God's people become religious with all their false deities and false gods they build. They made the writings of the prophets and us saints look religious by adding all their religious ideas in their Bible.
If saints are not religious at all and you believe you are a saint. Is that why you believe you should be burning in Hell. That you have no justification for being here because you are evil and should be burning in hell. Must be a struggle living against your will and finding no justification for it. You are in the Jesus state of mind before the Jews ended his misery. They tried, convicted and put Jesus to death for blasphemy.

Your write in I cannot justify my life. ". I cannot justify why I am still here. I cannot justify my life. I should be burning in Hell now but I am here under God's mercy. He allows me to be here.
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 9:01:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
My 6 year old little girl asked me a question today. What happens when she dies? She said that she is afraid to die because she doesn't know what will happen after her.

This question is open to all walks of faith. To atheists, deists, and theists. As an agnostic I have no good answer for her and I am curious what advice the people of this forum can provide.

My first instinct is to tell her not to worry, but it's a valid question that demands an answer. I could explain to her that some people believe we die and become a part of the world. Some believe we have many lives to live. Some believe we go to heaven and live with God. And there are some who believe that we die and that our happiness in life is most important. I'm at a loss.

So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

One of my grandson's asked me a similar question when he was about 4 years old. I said that some people think they will go to a place called heaven when they die, which is supposed to be very pleasant. I said he would have to make up his mind about that when he was older and not to give it any thought now. That answer seemed to satisfy him.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 9:24:34 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 9:01:02 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
My 6 year old little girl asked me a question today. What happens when she dies? She said that she is afraid to die because she doesn't know what will happen after her.

This question is open to all walks of faith. To atheists, deists, and theists. As an agnostic I have no good answer for her and I am curious what advice the people of this forum can provide.

My first instinct is to tell her not to worry, but it's a valid question that demands an answer. I could explain to her that some people believe we die and become a part of the world. Some believe we have many lives to live. Some believe we go to heaven and live with God. And there are some who believe that we die and that our happiness in life is most important. I'm at a loss.

So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

One of my grandson's asked me a similar question when he was about 4 years old. I said that some people think they will go to a place called heaven when they die, which is supposed to be very pleasant. I said he would have to make up his mind about that when he was older and not to give it any thought now. That answer seemed to satisfy him.

For a 4 year old to talk about death and after shows advanced development and a grasp of mortality. Telling him this was the only life he had and that he should make to most of it and live out his dreams to the fullest , would separate him from the billions of Christians who cannot find justification for living and are eagerly waiting to move on to the next phase. The bible is a book of death and the end of times. Christians died on the cross along with Jesus. They are the walking dead. Any wonder why even the Lord's Prayer are banned from. Schools.
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 9:55:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 8:32:27 AM, Harikrish wrote:
At 1/15/2015 8:11:00 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 1/14/2015 4:22:28 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 1/14/2015 3:56:13 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 1/14/2015 12:45:56 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
My 6 year old little girl asked me a question today. What happens when she dies? She said that she is afraid to die because she doesn't know what will happen after her.

This question is open to all walks of faith. To atheists, deists, and theists. As an agnostic I have no good answer for her and I am curious what advice the people of this forum can provide.

My first instinct is to tell her not to worry, but it's a valid question that demands an answer. I could explain to her that some people believe we die and become a part of the world. Some believe we have many lives to live. Some believe we go to heaven and live with God. And there are some who believe that we die and that our happiness in life is most important. I'm at a loss.

So, in your faith, or your personal belief of what happens when we die, what would you say to my little girl?

I would tell her that we all have to die in this world first before we awaken in brand new bodies that will never die again. I would explain to her that none of us will remember living and dying in this world because it would be very unfair for some people to retain memories of bad experiences such as being hungry and starving to death like many children have gone through or being involved in wars and watching people get killed while other people had a good life in this world and have nothing but good memories. I would tell her that we all start a brand new life with brand new memories that will never cause us bad experiences again.

By keeping is simple, she will be satisfied for now. I have shared this good news with many young people from the ages of 8 to early 20's and they all love hearing the Truth. It's best to give them the Truth at an early age before they start getting deceived by religious people who say they will go to hell if they don't believe their false gods and religious dogma.

Isaiah 65
16: So that he who blesses himself in the land shall bless himself by the God of truth, and he who takes an oath in the land shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten and are hid from my eyes.
17: "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind.
18: But be glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
19: I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and be glad in my people; no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping and the cry of distress.

Tell her that ALL God's people will never suffer and die again after we all die in this world.
Isn't your verse from a religious book? Did you not say religious people deceive by putting fear in people. But Isaiah was a religious prophet who you quoted.
Did not the Jews reject Isaiah and also crucify Jesus who claimed he was the suffering saviour Isaiah spoke of. That is 3000 years of BS you have spewed to a child. Where the Jews lost their faith , a carpenter dies and the Romans slaughter the Jews and steal their religion after destroying their holiest temple.
Please, she is only 6 years old child and not some brain dead Christian with no recollection of what he was, or all that he cherished. Just left with a blank memory to help him deny even his own humanity.

God and His prophets and us saints are not religious at all. God's people become religious with all their false deities and false gods they build. They made the writings of the prophets and us saints look religious by adding all their religious ideas in their Bible.
If saints are not religious at all and you believe you are a saint. Is that why you believe you should be burning in Hell. That you have no justification for being here because you are evil and should be burning in hell. Must be a struggle living against your will and finding no justification for it. You are in the Jesus state of mind before the Jews ended his misery. They tried, convicted and put Jesus to death for blasphemy.

Your write in I cannot justify my life. ". I cannot justify why I am still here. I cannot justify my life. I should be burning in Hell now but I am here under God's mercy. He allows me to be here.

Don't worry about hell because there isn't a place called hell. This is a religious idea that is used for controlling people. The hell belief has existed since the days of the Babylonian empire. It works great to get people to believe in what false prophets and antichrists tell them about their false deities such as Jesus, Mohammed, Joseph Smith, etc.