Jump to topic:

"The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins

darthebearnc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 8:29:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I just finished reading this book - it was actually really interesting and informative. Has anybody else read it, and if so, what did you think?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 8:38:40 PM
At 1/14/2015 8:29:46 PM, darthebearnc wrote:
I just finished reading this book - it was actually really interesting and informative. Has anybody else read it, and if so, what did you think?

Dog and pony show. period.
darthebearnc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 8:39:18 PM
At 1/14/2015 8:38:40 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Have you read it?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 8:46:48 PM
At 1/14/2015 8:39:18 PM, darthebearnc wrote:

Have you read it?

Do you know what a dog and pony show is?

Cause if you had read it and know what a dog and pony show is, then it should be obvious I have read it.

I'll do you a solid.

"Dog and pony show" is a colloquial term which has come to mean a highly promoted, often over-staged performance, presentation, or event designed to sway or convince opinion for political, or less often, commercial ends.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Really a Guide book for Atheist tactics. I could totally disagree with his definition of Deism. It's just a flood of ostensible rhetoric from a bigot.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 8:48:25 PM

Good rhetoric, bad philosophy. Pick up one of Graham Oppy's books if you want better material on atheism.
darthebearnc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 8:49:23 PM
At 1/14/2015 8:46:48 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Have you read it?

Cause if you had read it and know what a dog and pony show is, then it should be obvious I have read it.

I'll do you a solid.

"Dog and pony show" is a colloquial term which has come to mean a highly promoted, often over-staged performance, presentation, or event designed to sway or convince opinion for political, or less often, commercial ends.

Really a Guide book for Atheist tactics. I could totally disagree with his definition of Deism. It's just a flood of ostensible rhetoric from a bigot.

Interesting POV. I know what a dog and pony show is, but I would tend to disagree with that interpretation. I think he brings up a variety of good points and fulfills his goal of bringing more atheists 'out of the closet'. Also, we do kinda need a guide book for atheist tactics these days.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 8:54:05 PM
At 1/14/2015 8:49:23 PM, darthebearnc wrote:

Have you read it?

I'll do you a solid.

Interesting POV. I know what a dog and pony show is, but I would tend to disagree with that interpretation. I think he brings up a variety of good points and fulfills his goal of bringing more atheists 'out of the closet'. Also, we do kinda need a guide book for atheist tactics these days.

The tactics are obfuscation and fallacious. Why would you want tactics like that. It was more smoke than meat. Please pick a page and topic on that page you liked.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 8:57:22 PM

Have you read it?

I'll do you a solid.

Bottom-Line: What is it that you object to and what is your proofs supportive of your objections?
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 9:03:45 PM

Have you read it?

I'll do you a solid.

Notice how this keeps evading the question? I think that actually answers the question.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 9:05:31 PM
At 1/14/2015 8:54:05 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Have you read it?

I'll do you a solid.

The tactics are obfuscation and fallacious. Why would you want tactics like that. It was more smoke than meat. Please pick a page and topic on that page you liked.

Why keep beating around the bush? You keep mentioning "tactics" in a very broad and vague manner. Go ahead and be specific. Tell us specifically what some of these "tactics" are, and why they're "obfuscated and fallacious".
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 9:06:13 PM
At 1/14/2015 8:57:22 PM, Composer wrote:

Have you read it?

I'll do you a solid.

Bottom-Line: What is it that you object to and what is your proofs supportive of your objections?

Oh gosh there is so many. Let me just flip to the first page. Dawkins writes about a letter to Einstein saying "damningly exposes the weakness of the religious mind" page 16.

No name of who the letter is from. But alas the letter was personal and touching. I thought it portrayed a real honesty and the start to a discussion.

Atheist tactic superficial summaries, out of context interpretations, end in a conclusion of ad hominems.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 9:11:43 PM
At 1/14/2015 9:05:31 PM, Beastt wrote:

Have you read it?

I'll do you a solid.

Why keep beating around the bush? You keep mentioning "tactics" in a very broad and vague manner. Go ahead and be specific. Tell us specifically what some of these "tactics" are, and why they're "obfuscated and fallacious".

Every other page Dawkins insists, let us remind ourselves of the terminology... Why the constant repeating of this mantra?

Atheist tactic Number One: Make the affirmative claim "God is a delusion" then hide in the agnostic like definition of the word "Atheism". This way you deflect any identifications of making a claim or having an religious like ideology.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 9:19:48 PM

Have you read it?

I'll do you a solid.

Oh i just flipped open to page 272. "What about Hitler and Stalin? Weren't they Atheist?"

Because that is how theist argue Atheists. Godwin's law. But he says, "I have already observed that Hitler's ideas and intentions were not self-evidently more evil than those of Caligula"

His first step, Hitler wasn't that bad.

But he says the Theist is making 2 assumptions,
1. That Hitler was an Atheist. (which Darwkin says is dubious.)
2. That Hitler did his terrible deeds because he was an Atheist.

Dawkins says 2 is false.

So why does he say Religion is a bad thing, and support it by listing for half a book all the bad things religious people do? Hypocritical much?
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 9:23:05 PM

Have you read it?

I'll do you a solid.

At 1/14/2015 9:06:13 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
Oh gosh there is so many. Let me just flip to the first page. Dawkins writes about a letter to Einstein saying "damningly exposes the weakness of the religious mind" page 16.

No name of who the letter is from. But alas the letter was personal and touching. I thought it portrayed a real honesty and the start to a discussion.

Atheist tactic superficial summaries, out of context interpretations, end in a conclusion of ad hominems.
Again all you are offering is more of your typical empty assertions!

We want proofs laddie!

Try again!
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 9:25:43 PM
At 1/14/2015 9:23:05 PM, Composer wrote:

Have you read it?

I'll do you a solid.

At 1/14/2015 9:06:13 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Again all you are offering is more of your typical empty assertions!

We want proofs laddie!

Try again!

All I have to do is support that Dawkins assessments are the ostensible rhetoric from a bigot.

Umm read the book, done. There is my support.
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 9:28:07 PM

Quite disappointing, not terribly earth shattering or enlightening. Was teased for something good to come....then when you get in the later chapters it often refers back to the ho-hum earlier chapters so there was no great revalation. Could not see what all the fuss was about really
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 9:30:30 PM
At 1/14/2015 9:19:48 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Dawkins says 2 is false.
Dawkins is absolutely correct, making YOUR assertion he is in error FALSE!

Hitler regarded himself as a Catholic until he died. "I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so," he told Gerhard Engel, one of his generals, in 1941. (Source: HITLER THE CATHOLIC , http://www.skeptically.org...)

Send us a copy of your written apologies to Dawkins!

Much, much better luck next times!
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 9:39:18 PM
At 1/14/2015 9:30:30 PM, Composer wrote:
At 1/14/2015 9:19:48 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Dawkins says 2 is false.
Dawkins is absolutely correct, making YOUR assertion he is in error FALSE!

Hitler regarded himself as a Catholic until he died. "I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so," he told Gerhard Engel, one of his generals, in 1941. (Source: HITLER THE CATHOLIC , http://www.skeptically.org...)

Send us a copy of your written apologies to Dawkins!

Much, much better luck next times!

It must be hard to understand I'll try to out line this slower for you.

Dawkins makes an argument about Hitler. Concedes for the sake of argument that Hitler is Atheist, and attacks point 2. That Hitler did not do his terrible acts "because" he was an Atheist. I have no problem with his argument.

I have a problem with his hypocrisy. That such an Argument clears Atheism ideology from the acts of Stalin and Hitler... but the acts of religious zealots condemn theism.

But Hitler according to Dawkins wasn't that bad.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 9:45:50 PM
At 1/14/2015 9:11:43 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Have you read it?

I'll do you a solid.

Every other page Dawkins insists, let us remind ourselves of the terminology... Why the constant repeating of this mantra?
"Every other page"? Are you certain? Here's the reality. He says that 1-time, on page 39.

Maybe you should answer the question posed to you repeatedly; have you read the book?

Atheist tactic Number One: Make the affirmative claim "God is a delusion" then hide in the agnostic like definition of the word "Atheism". This way you deflect any identifications of making a claim or having an religious like ideology.
The claim that God is a delusion is totally supported by the complete lack of evidence showing that God actually exists. It's no more a "tactic", than noting the complete lack of evidence that you have a dancing pink elephant in your living room, and telling your drunken cousin that the dancing pink elephant he thinks he sees, is a delusion.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 9:56:02 PM
At 1/14/2015 9:45:50 PM, Beastt wrote:

Have you read it?

I'll do you a solid.

"Every other page"? Are you certain? Here's the reality. He says that 1-time, on page 39.

I forgot, you don't understand Hyperbole, allegory, or any other literary device. You can only read things literally.

Maybe you should answer the question posed to you repeatedly; have you read the book?

yes

The claim that God is a delusion is totally supported by the complete lack of evidence showing that God actually exists. It's no more a "tactic", than noting the complete lack of evidence that you have a dancing pink elephant in your living room, and telling your drunken cousin that the dancing pink elephant he thinks he sees, is a delusion.

Where does this lack of evidence come from? To have an absence of something you must at least know what the presence of it must be like. The "lack of evidence" comes from a search. A quick glance and I see no pink elephant. I conduct a search and conclude that it was sufficient enough to have detected an elephant IF there was one. But I didn't find it. So I conclude the negation of the object I was searching for.

read your book Beastt, I would have assumed you learned your tactics and how to be a ostensible bigot from it, But I know better. Your 30+ years experience as a flaccid cop is where.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 10:00:32 PM
At 1/14/2015 9:56:02 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Have you read it?

I'll do you a solid.

I forgot, you don't understand Hyperbole, allegory, or any other literary device. You can only read things literally.
What a COMPLETE LOAD! Come clean, Mhykiel; you're caught. You've never read the book. You popped into Amazon and took advantage of their "Look Inside" feature and thought you'd extend your attempts at deception. Well it didn't work.

And there is a VAST, V A S T difference between "every other page" and "constant repeating" and using a phrase exactly one time.

Go stand in the corner!

You're done here.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 10:02:17 PM
At 1/14/2015 10:00:32 PM, Beastt wrote:

Have you read it?

I'll do you a solid.

What a COMPLETE LOAD! Come clean, Mhykiel; you're caught. You've never read the book. You popped into Amazon and took advantage of their "Look Inside" feature and thought you'd extend your attempts at deception. Well it didn't work.

And there is a VAST, V A S T difference between "every other page" and "constant repeating" and using a phrase exactly one time.

I'm not going to search through the entire book. that was an impression I got and I know it pops up a bit more than once.

Go stand in the corner!

You're done here.

I have the book in front of me. Pick a page.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 10:08:30 PM
At 1/14/2015 10:02:17 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Have you read it?

I'll do you a solid.

I'm not going to search through the entire book. that was an impression I got and I know it pops up a bit more than once.
Sorry, no sale. I have the Kindle version which allows me to do a complete search for any word or phrase in a few seconds. It appears ONE TIME, Mhykiel - JUST... ONE... TIME!

Go stand in the corner!

You're done here.

Give it up. When you try to claim a phrase is repeated "every other page" and "constantly repeated", when that phrase is only used ONE TIME in the entire book, you've lost all of your credibility. That's not hyperbole. It's not metaphorical. It's not allegorical. It's a bold lie. You're done. The most you can do from this point is make it worse for yourself.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 10:10:17 PM
At 1/14/2015 10:08:30 PM, Beastt wrote:

Have you read it?

I'll do you a solid.

Sorry, no sale. I have the Kindle version which allows me to do a complete search for any word or phrase in a few seconds. It appears ONE TIME, Mhykiel - JUST... ONE... TIME!

Go stand in the corner!

You're done here.

Give it up. When you try to claim a phrase is repeated "every other page" and "constantly repeated", when that phrase is only used ONE TIME in the entire book, you've lost all of your credibility. That's not hyperbole. It's not metaphorical. It's not allegorical. It's a bold lie. You're done. The most you can do from this point is make it worse for yourself.

What chance did I have against your kindle and 30+ years experience.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 10:17:32 PM
At 1/14/2015 10:10:17 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Have you read it?

I'll do you a solid.

Go stand in the corner!

You're done here.

The duration of my career has absolutely nothing to do with this. I would hope you might learn something from your own actions. Because you know Dawkins is an atheist and you're devoutly against atheism, it didn't matter to you that you were just making up an argument and pretending to know what you were talking about.

So the question is this; how much do you care about the truth?

If you have any personal honesty left, you can see that you've demonstrated the answer to that question. You don't care about the truth. You joined the "Theist Team" a long time ago, and you're playing to win, even if you have to cheat. And that's all you care about. It's what I call "The Football Mentality". You just want to beat the other team, even if they're right.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 10:21:20 PM

Agreed. a very well written book. Dawkins is smarter than all of us put together.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 10:24:44 PM
At 1/14/2015 10:17:32 PM, Beastt wrote:

Have you read it?

I'll do you a solid.

Go stand in the corner!

You're done here.

The duration of my career has absolutely nothing to do with this. I would hope you might learn something from your own actions. Because you know Dawkins is an atheist and you're devoutly against atheism, it didn't matter to you that you were just making up an argument and pretending to know what you were talking about.

If you have any personal honesty left, you can see that you've demonstrated the answer to that question. You don't care about the truth. You joined the "Theist Team" a long time ago, and you're playing to win, even if you have to cheat. And that's all you care about. It's what I call "The Football Mentality". You just want to beat the other team, even if they're right.

I'm not looking through the entire book page by page to point out all the places Dawkins refers back to what Atheism is.

I care about the truth. Which is why my review from the beginning stands. The God Delusion is a Dog and pony show. It is a fluffed up act for book sales and political reasons. It has nothing to do with atheist justifications, or argumentation for or against god. It is a rant.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 10:27:20 PM
At 1/14/2015 10:24:44 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

I care about the truth. Which is why my review from the beginning stands. The God Delusion is a Dog and pony show. It is a fluffed up act for book sales and political reasons. It has nothing to do with atheist justifications, or argumentation for or against god. It is a rant.

Your review is a rant.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 10:27:24 PM
At 1/14/2015 8:48:25 PM, Envisage wrote:

Good rhetoric, bad philosophy. Pick up one of Graham Oppy's books if you want better material on atheism.

Man, he likes his books! They are pretty pricey, even on Kindle.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 10:29:21 PM
At 1/14/2015 10:24:44 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 1/14/2015 10:17:32 PM, Beastt wrote:

Have you read it?

I'll do you a solid.

Go stand in the corner!

You're done here.

I'm not looking through the entire book page by page to point out all the places Dawkins refers back to what Atheism is.

- Your post is a rant. Dawkins makes credible points.

- Your attempt to support your claim that it's a "dog and pony show", was a miserable failure and based on an absolute lie.

- You've presented not a single credible fault in the book.

- And you're not even ashamed enough about being caught to back off and let it cool down! That puts you in a class with a certain recent non-member of the forum. It shows that this is about protecting your emotional pacifier, and has nothing to do with any interest in the truth.