Jump to topic:

Devil's advocate

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 9:08:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What is your view on people who play devil's advocate? On a different site I am a member of, I have been ostracized for playing it (and I specifically said I was playing devil's advocate) when no one could refute one of my arguments.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 9:20:59 PM
What was the argument?

Playing devil's advocate is an essential learning experience. I don't think people truly understand how little they know about their opposition's viewpoint until they have to defend it.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 9:35:19 PM
At 1/14/2015 9:20:59 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
What was the argument?

Playing devil's advocate is an essential learning experience. I don't think people truly understand how little they know about their opposition's viewpoint until they have to defend it.

It is one that Envisage told me about (that appeared in one of his debates).

CCF - Is a conjunct of all contingent facts in the world
P1) It is possible that a world exists where the CCF has an explanation, and that explanation is q
P2) Explanation q must be a necessary being
P3) It is possible a necessary being exists (from 1 & 2)
P4) If it is possible a necessary being exists, then a necessary being exists (via. axiom s5)
C) A necessary being exists

I have told some friends about it as well, and they use it when they debate (theists) or when they do devil's advocate (atheists).
#WarOnDDO
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 9:44:47 PM
At 1/14/2015 9:35:19 PM, SNP1 wrote:
What was the argument?

P1) It is possible that a world exists where the CCF has an explanation, and that explanation is q
P4) If it is possible a necessary being exists, then a necessary being exists (via. axiom s5)

I have told some friends about it as well, and they use it when they debate (theists) or when they do devil's advocate (atheists).

Why would metaphysical possibility = the existence of the necessary being?
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 9:53:38 PM
At 1/14/2015 9:44:47 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
What was the argument?

It is like possible world modal logic.
A contingent fact is one that exists in some possible worlds, but not all.
A necessary fact is one that exists in all possible worlds.

So, if q is necessary, it exists in all possible worlds.

The thing is, it is somewhat a controversy if the real world counts as one of the possible worlds within this form of logic.

***NOTE***
I am still relatively new to modal logic, so I might make a few mistakes when talking about it.
#WarOnDDO
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 10:06:10 PM
At 1/14/2015 9:53:38 PM, SNP1 wrote:
What was the argument?

The thing is, it is somewhat a controversy if the real world counts as one of the possible worlds within this form of logic.

***NOTE***
I am still relatively new to modal logic, so I might make a few mistakes when talking about it.

Why must the explanation be a necessary being? (P2)
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 10:22:35 PM
At 1/14/2015 9:08:25 PM, SNP1 wrote:
What is your view on people who play devil's advocate? On a different site I am a member of, I have been ostracized for playing it (and I specifically said I was playing devil's advocate) when no one could refute one of my arguments.

Are you playing devil's advocate now?
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 10:31:38 PM

Playing Devil's advocate is intellectually stimulating, as it forces oneself to think and argue from a different point of view.
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2015 10:31:52 PM
At 1/14/2015 10:06:10 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
What was the argument?

***NOTE***

It must be either contingent or necessary. If it is contingent, then it would be part of the CCF. Since q is an explanation for the CCF it cannot be a part of the CCF.
#WarOnDDO
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 12:18:11 AM
At 1/14/2015 10:31:52 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 1/14/2015 10:06:10 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
What was the argument?

***NOTE***

It must be either contingent or necessary. If it is contingent, then it would be part of the CCF. Since q is an explanation for the CCF it cannot be a part of the CCF.

Yes I understand that, but why must the necessary explanation be a *being*? Why not just reword the argument and substitute the word being with non-being?
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 1:51:56 AM
Will you divulge what other Forum that is as I am always looking for different Forums?
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 3:16:12 AM
What was the argument?

Ugh... That argument gave me headaches.

Now it's pretty clear that the possibility premise is false.. It took a while to grasp that though.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 7:06:16 AM
At 1/15/2015 3:16:12 AM, Envisage wrote:
What was the argument?

Ugh... That argument gave me headaches.

Now it's pretty clear that the possibility premise is false.. It took a while to grasp that though.

Can you explain how?
#WarOnDDO
TrueScotsman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 7:14:55 AM

Nothing wrong with it, I have done it in several debates here.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 7:15:15 AM
I think it's more positive than negative. I've played devils advocate in a few debates, it provides you both with the opportunity to learn and work on your debating skills. Having the ability to take a position on a variety of topics is a strength, not a weakness.

Depending on the subject matter, it can be an easy win too.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'