Total Posts:66|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The Prejudices of the Religious - Sickening!

jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 4:31:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Where I'm from, we had a dude go on a killing spree through playgrounds and old people's houses, as if making the statement that this world was no place for children and old people. He stabbed one little girl straight through the chest in a playground. That was religion, if you will. Those were his beliefs as regards what this world is.

Christianity is an old order. An old order that has kept demons at bay for many people. Of course there's going to be an upstart with change. But what? Should we completely do away with people thinking that existence is to some good end? Should we foster pure animalism in people? Faith in death is a fickle thing too, jody.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 4:35:16 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
An awful lot of the religious people on this board seem to be harmless old folk, to be quite honest. Epic revolutionary atheists coming in here to shake them up, dudes. I gotta say.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 4:36:17 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hold on brb, gotta go slander my 84 year old grandmother over a religion that has given her so much community and joy over the course of her life.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Posts: 748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 5:08:43 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?

Jody, there is no arguing that such an attitude is very wrong, but was it right to generally apply prejudice to the religious? Wouldn't you agree that prejudice inflicts all walks of life?

If the staff of a hospital is responsible for poisoning patients to death, should we then suspect all hospitals, even those with spotless records?
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 5:40:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 4:35:16 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
An awful lot of the religious people on this board seem to be harmless old folk, to be quite honest. Epic revolutionary atheists coming in here to shake them up, dudes. I gotta say.

I am new to this forum having posted on many other religious forums since the late 90s. I find that the theists on this board appear to be much more extreme than most of the ones of have encountered before.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 5:43:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 5:40:35 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 1/15/2015 4:35:16 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
An awful lot of the religious people on this board seem to be harmless old folk, to be quite honest. Epic revolutionary atheists coming in here to shake them up, dudes. I gotta say.

I am new to this forum having posted on many other religious forums since the late 90s. I find that the theists on this board appear to be much more extreme than most of the ones of have encountered before.

No they aren't. There's nobody very extreme here. This board pretty much belongs to BOG and MCB, and they're both harmless.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 6:00:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?

No, I don't.

Having committed to it they should have gone ahead.

It is their choice whether or not they agree to hold a funeral service for someone, but to say yes and then go back on that is completely against Christian teaching where Christ teaches that a Christians word must be his bond and says "Let your yes mean yes and your no, no".

A Christian should not need to swear an oath or make a promise, in fact Jesus speaks against doing those things, because Christians word must be inviolate.
dee-em
Posts: 6,495
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 6:13:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?

Hate the sin, love the sinner. Unless they are dead. Then it's okay to hate them.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 6:32:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 6:13:04 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?

Hate the sin, love the sinner. Unless they are dead. Then it's okay to hate them.

No, no exceptions, lol.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 1:43:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 5:08:43 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?

Jody, there is no arguing that such an attitude is very wrong, but was it right to generally apply prejudice to the religious? Wouldn't you agree that prejudice inflicts all walks of life?

If the staff of a hospital is responsible for poisoning patients to death, should we then suspect all hospitals, even those with spotless records?

Prejudice does afflict all walks of life. However I see this as an indication that religion, Christian "world view" and the alleged "objective" morality that is associated with God is negated by this behavior which seems to be very common among the religious.

As for the hospital analogy, I would have to question the administration of the hospital where such an atrocity could be committed. As with religion I have to question the church (and the doctrines of a denomination) that condones or allows discrimination like this to take place.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 1:45:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 6:13:04 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?

Hate the sin, love the sinner. Unless they are dead. Then it's okay to hate them.

That seems to be the "moral" decision that took place. It's sad.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Fido
Posts: 357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 1:50:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?

My knife is too dull to cut religion off of religious people. If religion is the excuse people use to act like jackasses they usually don't need an excuse.
Fido
Posts: 357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 1:53:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 4:30:37 AM, JJ50 wrote:
Using religion as an excuse for prejudice against gays is sick and disgusting!

I think early Christians thought they might be judged by how many they got into heaven rather than how many they excluded.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 1:57:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 1:50:45 PM, Fido wrote:
At 1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?

My knife is too dull to cut religion off of religious people. If religion is the excuse people use to act like jackasses they usually don't need an excuse.

The problem with this is that if it were a nonreligious venue this family would be protected under the laws that protect everyone from discrimination. There is emotional suffering that took place because a church (immune to many laws and lets not forget, tax exempt) decided to discriminate.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 2:03:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 6:00:24 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?

No, I don't.

Having committed to it they should have gone ahead.

It is their choice whether or not they agree to hold a funeral service for someone, but to say yes and then go back on that is completely against Christian teaching where Christ teaches that a Christians word must be his bond and says "Let your yes mean yes and your no, no".

A Christian should not need to swear an oath or make a promise, in fact Jesus speaks against doing those things, because Christians word must be inviolate.

In my mind this is an example of a Christian's view being warped by religion. Without religion this would be a no brainer. Just do the service, play the video, and give the family the right to say farewell with dignity. Religious doctrine and prejudice mixed is about as close to evil as anything I can think of. It's very sad.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Fido
Posts: 357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 2:11:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 6:00:24 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?

No, I don't.

Having committed to it they should have gone ahead.

It is their choice whether or not they agree to hold a funeral service for someone, but to say yes and then go back on that is completely against Christian teaching where Christ teaches that a Christians word must be his bond and says "Let your yes mean yes and your no, no".

A Christian should not need to swear an oath or make a promise, in fact Jesus speaks against doing those things, because Christians word must be inviolate.

I would like to remember without looking for the book, what Nietzsche, talking about the military officer in church said, and I get the sense of fresh from carnage, and asking of the church: Who do they exclude?

Of all the faults of churches, exclusion should not be one of them. Part of the Reason Nietzsche hated Saint Paul was that he gave the first firm footing in Christianity, as he saw it, for democracy, as all being equal in Christ. Too many Christians reject equality, and reject the very people they need with them if they will survive.

Such people who must advertise as any other business, for customers, might want to consider the consequences of their own exclusion as their exclusion by the very people they exclude.

I was raised Catholic. They would have me back in a moment dirty with sin. It is just the way they are. I am used to them. My wife felt so unwelcome. It is as though everyone had already picked sides before we got there, and only wondered which team we were going to play for.
Sorry. My eternal soul, if I got one, is not a game. You can keep your politics. I was only looking for some help to become a better man.
Fido
Posts: 357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 2:18:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 1:57:42 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/15/2015 1:50:45 PM, Fido wrote:
At 1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?

My knife is too dull to cut religion off of religious people. If religion is the excuse people use to act like jackasses they usually don't need an excuse.

The problem with this is that if it were a nonreligious venue this family would be protected under the laws that protect everyone from discrimination. There is emotional suffering that took place because a church (immune to many laws and lets not forget, tax exempt) decided to discriminate.

Where a handful of Christians became so many that they took over the whole Roman Empire they did not have privilege, and in fact, were persecuted. The only people who have really persecuted Christians in the last thousand years have been other Christians. It is out of that persecution by Christians of Christians that our privilege of religion has grown, to protect one church from government in the hands of another church. There is no reason these people cannot be decent and follow our law. They think their rights are God given. They better damned well check the constitution because we the people are behind it and if we are not then the constitution and their privilege is done!
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 2:23:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 2:18:10 PM, Fido wrote:
At 1/15/2015 1:57:42 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/15/2015 1:50:45 PM, Fido wrote:
At 1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?

My knife is too dull to cut religion off of religious people. If religion is the excuse people use to act like jackasses they usually don't need an excuse.

The problem with this is that if it were a nonreligious venue this family would be protected under the laws that protect everyone from discrimination. There is emotional suffering that took place because a church (immune to many laws and lets not forget, tax exempt) decided to discriminate.

Where a handful of Christians became so many that they took over the whole Roman Empire they did not have privilege, and in fact, were persecuted. The only people who have really persecuted Christians in the last thousand years have been other Christians. It is out of that persecution by Christians of Christians that our privilege of religion has grown, to protect one church from government in the hands of another church. There is no reason these people cannot be decent and follow our law. They think their rights are God given. They better damned well check the constitution because we the people are behind it and if we are not then the constitution and their privilege is done!

Word. But, I think they have persecuted not just Christians, but the whole world. Christians have self given, moral license to do so. As do Muslims and dare I say, Jews? It's oppression and I'm tired of it.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,086
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 2:27:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?

The Church is the body of believers (that is, Christians). As cold as this may sound, that woman was not part of the body of believers, otherwise she would not be partaking in a lifestyle which is so contrary to Christian beliefs. I'm not necessarily saying that she wasn't saved, but I don't think she was a Christian.
She should've had a proper burial, but not in a church. I don't know the whole story and I didn't read the article, so I can't say that the church acted rightly or wrongly. Just stating my opinion.

Still, stating that religion as a whole is bad because of incidents like this is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 2:37:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 2:27:13 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?

The Church is the body of believers (that is, Christians). As cold as this may sound, that woman was not part of the body of believers, otherwise she would not be partaking in a lifestyle which is so contrary to Christian beliefs. I'm not necessarily saying that she wasn't saved, but I don't think she was a Christian.
She should've had a proper burial, but not in a church. I don't know the whole story and I didn't read the article, so I can't say that the church acted rightly or wrongly. Just stating my opinion.

Still, stating that religion as a whole is bad because of incidents like this is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

How do you know that she doesn't believe in the God of Abraham? Would that not make her a believer? Perhaps she doesn't subscribe to scripture or doctrine that promotes judgment and biased prejudices. That is her right.

Religion has proven itself as prejudice, bigoted and judgmental over and over again. It's broken, and it was from the start.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Fido
Posts: 357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 2:38:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 2:23:31 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/15/2015 2:18:10 PM, Fido wrote:
At 1/15/2015 1:57:42 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/15/2015 1:50:45 PM, Fido wrote:
At 1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?

My knife is too dull to cut religion off of religious people. If religion is the excuse people use to act like jackasses they usually don't need an excuse.

The problem with this is that if it were a nonreligious venue this family would be protected under the laws that protect everyone from discrimination. There is emotional suffering that took place because a church (immune to many laws and lets not forget, tax exempt) decided to discriminate.

Where a handful of Christians became so many that they took over the whole Roman Empire they did not have privilege, and in fact, were persecuted. The only people who have really persecuted Christians in the last thousand years have been other Christians. It is out of that persecution by Christians of Christians that our privilege of religion has grown, to protect one church from government in the hands of another church. There is no reason these people cannot be decent and follow our law. They think their rights are God given. They better damned well check the constitution because we the people are behind it and if we are not then the constitution and their privilege is done!

Word. But, I think they have persecuted not just Christians, but the whole world. Christians have self given, moral license to do so. As do Muslims and dare I say, Jews? It's oppression and I'm tired of it.

Then get some rest, because I do not expect it to end soon.

Some times it is the greatest victory to keep such organized tyranny from ruling our own lives. If we are dis-enthralled we are not alone. If we are free, we can free others.
Fido
Posts: 357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 2:42:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 2:27:13 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?

The Church is the body of believers (that is, Christians). As cold as this may sound, that woman was not part of the body of believers, otherwise she would not be partaking in a lifestyle which is so contrary to Christian beliefs. I'm not necessarily saying that she wasn't saved, but I don't think she was a Christian.
She should've had a proper burial, but not in a church. I don't know the whole story and I didn't read the article, so I can't say that the church acted rightly or wrongly. Just stating my opinion.

Still, stating that religion as a whole is bad because of incidents like this is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

Who can say what another believes? She was beyond the point where human judgement could do her any harm. Now it was God's turn, and I expect God to show more mercy than human's are capable of.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,086
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 2:44:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 2:37:03 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/15/2015 2:27:13 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?

The Church is the body of believers (that is, Christians). As cold as this may sound, that woman was not part of the body of believers, otherwise she would not be partaking in a lifestyle which is so contrary to Christian beliefs. I'm not necessarily saying that she wasn't saved, but I don't think she was a Christian.
She should've had a proper burial, but not in a church. I don't know the whole story and I didn't read the article, so I can't say that the church acted rightly or wrongly. Just stating my opinion.

Still, stating that religion as a whole is bad because of incidents like this is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

How do you know that she doesn't believe in the God of Abraham? Would that not make her a believer? Perhaps she doesn't subscribe to scripture or doctrine that promotes judgment and biased prejudices. That is her right.

Does it really matter whether or not she "believes"? The Bible points out that even Satan believes, and that doesn't do him any good.
What if that woman's wife/lover later decided to be buried beside that woman, like married people do? Would the church be obliged to violate its own beliefs on marriage?

Religion has proven itself as prejudice, bigoted and judgmental over and over again. It's broken, and it was from the start.

Religion has prejudiced, bigoted, judgmental people. So does atheism. So does communism. So does capitalism. So does agnosticism.
I really don't see your point, but using sob stories like this to attack religion as a whole is just plain ridiculous, and it should make atheists look worse than it does religious people.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 2:52:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 2:44:29 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 1/15/2015 2:37:03 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/15/2015 2:27:13 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?

The Church is the body of believers (that is, Christians). As cold as this may sound, that woman was not part of the body of believers, otherwise she would not be partaking in a lifestyle which is so contrary to Christian beliefs. I'm not necessarily saying that she wasn't saved, but I don't think she was a Christian.
She should've had a proper burial, but not in a church. I don't know the whole story and I didn't read the article, so I can't say that the church acted rightly or wrongly. Just stating my opinion.

Still, stating that religion as a whole is bad because of incidents like this is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

How do you know that she doesn't believe in the God of Abraham? Would that not make her a believer? Perhaps she doesn't subscribe to scripture or doctrine that promotes judgment and biased prejudices. That is her right.

Does it really matter whether or not she "believes"? The Bible points out that even Satan believes, and that doesn't do him any good.
What if that woman's wife/lover later decided to be buried beside that woman, like married people do? Would the church be obliged to violate its own beliefs on marriage?

The church needs to be removed from it's self proclaimed position that seems to keep it "above the law". Let's not forget that morals are really based on the needs of the many. The church is dying and rightly so. The bigoted morals it imposes are no longer of use to society. That is truth. And every time a story like this comes out, at least one more person will see it for what it is, religion lays dying on the floor. No atheist need raze it to the ground. It's doing a good job destroying itself.

Religion has proven itself as prejudice, bigoted and judgmental over and over again. It's broken, and it was from the start.

Religion has prejudiced, bigoted, judgmental people. So does atheism. So does communism. So does capitalism. So does agnosticism.
I really don't see your point, but using sob stories like this to attack religion as a whole is just plain ridiculous, and it should make atheists look worse than it does religious people.

There is always going to prejudice, but it's especially sickening to do it in the name of a god. Don't you think?
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Fido
Posts: 357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 2:55:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 2:37:03 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/15/2015 2:27:13 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?

The Church is the body of believers (that is, Christians). As cold as this may sound, that woman was not part of the body of believers, otherwise she would not be partaking in a lifestyle which is so contrary to Christian beliefs. I'm not necessarily saying that she wasn't saved, but I don't think she was a Christian.
She should've had a proper burial, but not in a church. I don't know the whole story and I didn't read the article, so I can't say that the church acted rightly or wrongly. Just stating my opinion.

Still, stating that religion as a whole is bad because of incidents like this is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

How do you know that she doesn't believe in the God of Abraham? Would that not make her a believer? Perhaps she doesn't subscribe to scripture or doctrine that promotes judgment and biased prejudices. That is her right.

Religion has proven itself as prejudice, bigoted and judgmental over and over again. It's broken, and it was from the start.

What you say is true; but religion is also natural to people, and Christianity is certainly an improvement over paganism. A single God would be more logical, and the Christian Trinity is an accretion, sort of like a cosmic Caste system, and as I have read, people followed the same tri-fold hierarchy in Angels, and in the early church.

When you see that one of the things Socrates was killed for was working toward a sense of God as a single being, a personal Daemon, you get a sense of how dangerous religion has always been. I have never, in doing good or evil had a sense of God looking over my shoulders though I have as much as possible spent my life in the company of angels. I hear my parent's counsel all the time. I never hear the voice of God. I am left trying as well as I can to right my course on my best knowledge.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,086
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 3:01:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/15/2015 2:52:23 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/15/2015 2:44:29 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 1/15/2015 2:37:03 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 1/15/2015 2:27:13 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 1/15/2015 4:16:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
Alright, I have a problem with a church that will do this to people. Gay or not, everyone deserves dignity at their funeral. This is why I think religion is a bad thing:

http://www.waff.com...

Thoughts anyone? Is what this church did to this family justifiable?

The Church is the body of believers (that is, Christians). As cold as this may sound, that woman was not part of the body of believers, otherwise she would not be partaking in a lifestyle which is so contrary to Christian beliefs. I'm not necessarily saying that she wasn't saved, but I don't think she was a Christian.
She should've had a proper burial, but not in a church. I don't know the whole story and I didn't read the article, so I can't say that the church acted rightly or wrongly. Just stating my opinion.

Still, stating that religion as a whole is bad because of incidents like this is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

How do you know that she doesn't believe in the God of Abraham? Would that not make her a believer? Perhaps she doesn't subscribe to scripture or doctrine that promotes judgment and biased prejudices. That is her right.

Does it really matter whether or not she "believes"? The Bible points out that even Satan believes, and that doesn't do him any good.
What if that woman's wife/lover later decided to be buried beside that woman, like married people do? Would the church be obliged to violate its own beliefs on marriage?

The church needs to be removed from it's self proclaimed position that seems to keep it "above the law". Let's not forget that morals are really based on the needs of the many. The church is dying and rightly so. The bigoted morals it imposes are no longer of use to society. That is truth. And every time a story like this comes out, at least one more person will see it for what it is, religion lays dying on the floor. No atheist need raze it to the ground. It's doing a good job destroying itself.

I agree that Church membership is on a decline, and that most people who call themselves Christians really aren't. The Church makes mistakes. It always has, and it will continue to do so until Jesus returns. Why? Because it's composed of human beings.
However, as much as people disagree with the beliefs of churches and the way churches act, they have a constitutionally-guaranteed right to continue to exist.

Religion has proven itself as prejudice, bigoted and judgmental over and over again. It's broken, and it was from the start.

Religion has prejudiced, bigoted, judgmental people. So does atheism. So does communism. So does capitalism. So does agnosticism.
I really don't see your point, but using sob stories like this to attack religion as a whole is just plain ridiculous, and it should make atheists look worse than it does religious people.

There is always going to prejudice, but it's especially sickening to do it in the name of a god. Don't you think?

I wouldn't call this prejudice. Perhaps the church was a little rough in the way it abruptly cancelled the already arranged funeral, but they were well within their rights to not bury a non-Christian.
Personally, I don't see why it matters where you are buried. Your corpse lying rotting in a field being eaten by vultures isn't really any worse than a first class burial. I mean, you're already dead, right?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid