Jump to topic:

Pope Francis: 'limit free expression'

IRONHIDE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 9:47:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
This thread is to discuss Pope Francis statement in regards to Charlie Hebdo.

While we all agree that violent acts are sickening and unjustified. The Pope goes beyond condemning such deplorable behavior.

He states there should be limits to free speech. Also suggest that the blame of violent attacks can be the speech of others.

I disagree that we should be limited in freedom to vocally insult someone's faith. Human beings should not act out in violence no matter who calls you a dirty name.

This is just basic morals we teach our kids. At least, some do. It is comparable to kids on a playground playing, when 1 kid starts ridiculing another and the other kid acts out in violence punching the other kid for his verbal insult.

The child that punched the kid for saying "your an idiot and wrong about everything"
Should not be looked at or made to feel that there was justification for responding violently.

Nor should the kid who insulted him verbally, be restrained from expressing his thought about the other kid. Of course, it would warrant talking to him about being more polite in addressing his frustrations verbally, than calling people names like "idiot" but never the less, not restrict his expression, even if, he chooses to name call.

So the question for debate is this:

Should people be limited to verbally insult other peoples faith, on the premise it may provoke a violent attack ?
IRONHIDE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 9:50:25 AM
ABOARD THE PAPAL PLANE (AP) " Pope Francis said Thursday there are limits to freedom of expression, especially when it insults or ridicules someone's faith

Francis spoke about the Paris terror attacks while en route to the Philippines, defending free speech as not only a fundamental human right but a duty to speak one's mind for the sake of the common good.

But he said there were limits.

By way of example, he referred to Alberto Gasparri, who organizes papal trips and was standing by his side aboard the papal plane.

"If my good friend Dr. Gasparri says a curse word against my mother, he can expect a punch," Francis said, throwing a pretend punch his way. "It's normal. You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others."

Many people around the world have defended the right of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo to publish inflammatory cartoons of the Prophet Muhammed in the wake of the massacre by Islamic extremists at its Paris offices and subsequent attack on a kosher supermarket in which three gunmen killed 17 people

http://news.yahoo.com...
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 9:57:36 AM
When you make anything exempt from criticism it becomes the first step to tyranny. Your feelings getting hurt is not sufficient cause to prevent me from expressing my disapproval of your belief, particularly if the belief conflicts with the law of the land. Any limits to freedom of speech, short of yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater, is too much.
Impartial
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 10:23:38 AM
At 1/15/2015 9:47:37 AM, IRONHIDE wrote:
This thread is to discuss Pope Francis statement in regards to Charlie Hebdo.

While we all agree that violent acts are sickening and unjustified. The Pope goes beyond condemning such deplorable behavior.

He states there should be limits to free speech. Also suggest that the blame of violent attacks can be the speech of others.

I disagree that we should be limited in freedom to vocally insult someone's faith. Human beings should not act out in violence no matter who calls you a dirty name.

This is just basic morals we teach our kids. At least, some do. It is comparable to kids on a playground playing, when 1 kid starts ridiculing another and the other kid acts out in violence punching the other kid for his verbal insult.

The child that punched the kid for saying "your an idiot and wrong about everything"
Should not be looked at or made to feel that there was justification for responding violently.

Nor should the kid who insulted him verbally, be restrained from expressing his thought about the other kid. Of course, it would warrant talking to him about being more polite in addressing his frustrations verbally, than calling people names like "idiot" but never the less, not restrict his expression, even if, he chooses to name call.

So the question for debate is this:

Should people be limited to verbally insult other peoples faith, on the premise it may provoke a violent attack ?

I think his message was utter nonsense. If someone says a curse word against my mother, I certainly wouldn't retaliate with violence. The same applies to anyone who ridicules my religion or lack thereof. And this guy is the leader of the Catholic Church? He has just given the go ahead for all Catholics to use violence against anyone who mocks his religion. What an appalling and irresponsible old man!
To believe is to know nothing.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 3:10:19 PM
I agree. Pope Francis really is in error on this one as there can be NO excuse for violent reaction to mere words spoken at you no matter what the words say. Only real physical violent acts against you justify retaliation. The schoolyard "sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me" is truth and Pope Frances only shows the male tendency to think males are off limits to ridicule and scorn when they so very often deserve it, like some phony prophets I know who can't take being shown up for what they are. And thus their idolators feeling the same way because they can't think for themselves, being idolators to the max.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 9:42:34 PM
In God's great humor, the real prophet of God who must be Jewish as salvation is of us Jews, was/is a cartoonist and has not a drop of hostility towards fellow cartoonists and satirists who target prophets of God most everyone of which is/was a big phony and not qualified at all for delivering Jewish spiritual information about God yet these Gentile bozos, like Muhammad, like Joe Smith, like Mary Baker Eddy, like David Koresh, like those idiot comet suicides, keep thinking they can pull the wool over everyone's eyes forever, but God's not with them, is God?

Your Celestial Torah Prophet at Large http://i145.photobucket.com...

Enjoy good belly laughs at ridiculous puffed up men who think you should bow and scrape to a killer ape.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 9:46:30 PM
I was the staff cartoonist for our high school newpaper and staff cartoonist with the University of California at Berkeley's humor magazine, The Pelican. And I am a genuine prophesy bearer, recognized as such by the religious leaders in Nazareth, Israel, Bethlehem, Palestine, and in the Plains tribes.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 9:54:47 PM
A genuine prophet of God delivers genuine spiritual information and does not just cut-and-paste Arabicized Jewish religious ideas and stories as did the Gentile religious thief Muhammad.

http://i145.photobucket.com...

Here is proof for all Muslims who honor God as Peace: God had me reveal the true Sword of Jihad which is Christ's Sword, the Sword of Peace, Saif al Salam. This Sword exists now and was and is honored in Israel and Palestine by Palestinian Christians and Muslims as a Sign of the Messiah. This is your proof that what I tell that I learn from God is truth. Muhammad never gave you the Sword of Peace, did he? He gave you Muhammadans the sword of bloodshed, the same old weapon the world has grown so weary of and need a rest from serving bloodshed instead of peace and goodwill towards all.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 4:35:42 AM
At 1/15/2015 9:50:25 AM, IRONHIDE wrote:
ABOARD THE PAPAL PLANE (AP) " Pope Francis said Thursday there are limits to freedom of expression, especially when it insults or ridicules someone's faith

Francis spoke about the Paris terror attacks while en route to the Philippines, defending free speech as not only a fundamental human right but a duty to speak one's mind for the sake of the common good.

But he said there were limits.

By way of example, he referred to Alberto Gasparri, who organizes papal trips and was standing by his side aboard the papal plane.

"If my good friend Dr. Gasparri says a curse word against my mother, he can expect a punch," Francis said, throwing a pretend punch his way. "It's normal. You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others."

If God any God feels insulted them let it be the first to throw the first punch, the fact that some one feels the need that a human being needs to commit a violent act in response to such an insult kinda tells you something who is the one who is insulted.

What next a return to blaspheme laws ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12