Jump to topic:

Bible and Flat-Earth claims

XVIII18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 10:35:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Found some interesting verses in the bible concluding that the Earth is indeed flat:

"Daniel 4:10-11. In Daniel, the king "saw a tree of great height at the centre of the earth" reaching with its top to the sky and visible to the earth's farthest bounds." Only with a flat Earth could a tall tree be visible from "the Earth's farthest bounds," " this is impossible on a spherical earth.

"Matthew 4:8: "Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world" You cannot see the whole world from a high mountain as the Earth is indeed spherical.

Luke 4:5: "And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time." Again, cannot see all of the earth from a tall mountain.

Isaiah 11:12 "And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth." It is impossible for a sphere to have four corners, therefore, this is claiming the Earth is completely flat.

Revelation 7:1 "And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree." Again, a sphere cannot have four corners.

I just find these... fascinating.
Impartial
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 10:40:05 AM
At 1/15/2015 10:35:52 AM, XVIII18 wrote:
Found some interesting verses in the bible concluding that the Earth is indeed flat:

"Daniel 4:10-11. In Daniel, the king "saw a tree of great height at the centre of the earth" reaching with its top to the sky and visible to the earth's farthest bounds." Only with a flat Earth could a tall tree be visible from "the Earth's farthest bounds," " this is impossible on a spherical earth.

"Matthew 4:8: "Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world" You cannot see the whole world from a high mountain as the Earth is indeed spherical.

Luke 4:5: "And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time." Again, cannot see all of the earth from a tall mountain.

Isaiah 11:12 "And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth." It is impossible for a sphere to have four corners, therefore, this is claiming the Earth is completely flat.

Revelation 7:1 "And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree." Again, a sphere cannot have four corners.

This doesn't surprise me at all. The bible has no practical significance whatsoever, only historical. It's unimportant.
To believe is to know nothing.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 10:42:43 AM

I said it before. There isn't enough science and math in the bible to meet the requirements of a grade 6 schooler.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 10:47:34 AM
At 1/15/2015 10:40:05 AM, Impartial wrote:

This doesn't surprise me at all. The bible has no practical significance whatsoever, only historical. It's unimportant.

Even the biblical characters in the bible are not historically accurate. Accounts like Moses and the big flood are found to be fictitious. So are the authorships of the Gospels. There isn't enough truth in the bible to pass a lie detector test.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2015 11:35:02 AM

This is a description of a dream. If King Nebuchadnezzar truly thought the world was flat, that would not mean the Bible itself teaches the world is flat. It's simply giving a testimony of a second party.

Do you think even if the world was flat someone on a mountain could see the entire world?

Do you think they thought the world was square?
Why do you think these verses suggest the world is flat? We use similar terminology today. When they used phrases like 4 corners, what makes you think that terminology is not similar to our usage of the term quadrants?

You should remember, they didn't have the technical terms we use today.