Jump to topic:

What good do you do?

JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 11:09:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am of the opinion that it is far more important to be a person who tries to help others in a practical way than having a faith. Of course some religious people do a lot of good, I don't deny that for a second. However, there are those who talk the talk and try to force their belief system, with threats, on others, but don't do anything to help people in need.

My late father-in-law was a case in point, he was of the unpleasant 'born again' dogma and was more than willing to put his hand in his pocket to provide Bibles for the 'heathen', but not to give money to feed the starving. The stupid man claimed the Bible was all the food they needed!

I am far from perfect, not that perfection is something to be prized, a saint would be hard to live with, lol. But I do try to help people out, and put my hand in my pocket when I perceive a need.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 1:23:52 PM
At 1/16/2015 11:09:25 AM, JJ50 wrote:
I am of the opinion that it is far more important to be a person who tries to help others in a practical way than having a faith. Of course some religious people do a lot of good, I don't deny that for a second. However, there are those who talk the talk and try to force their belief system, with threats, on others, but don't do anything to help people in need.

My late father-in-law was a case in point, he was of the unpleasant 'born again' dogma and was more than willing to put his hand in his pocket to provide Bibles for the 'heathen', but not to give money to feed the starving. The stupid man claimed the Bible was all the food they needed!

I am far from perfect, not that perfection is something to be prized, a saint would be hard to live with, lol. But I do try to help people out, and put my hand in my pocket when I perceive a need.

To justify yourself as good before other men takes a lot of pride. Most people know what a hypocrite looks like.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 2:58:25 PM

Agreed. And doing good because you fear God's wrath or "hellfire & brimstone" is not genuine. Good should be done for the right reasons. For the sake of caring for, loving, and doing good deeds, for the world and the individual. Some people don't get that concept.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 6:32:06 PM
I AM most overly wonderful and then some.
In my personal opinion anyway.

Now some might "want to believe" that I shouldn't say such "things" as it's the talk of a crazy or mad person.

YES I AM crazy mad according to the BIG heads that wear white coats and live in scientific boxes where the ONLY Facts, Truth, evidence and opinion has to come from out of the same BOX or another BOX of MANY that a popular advanced society require in order to keep "things" in ORDER.

What does ALL that have to do with the topic?

Nothing really, yet then again it has a lot to do with the topic.

ALL depends on how it is measured and weighed by those that read it.

I submit this for your perusal and personal examination.

Now if when I state that "I AM most overly wonderful and then some" is a TRUE and HONEST FACT.

Then such a person MUST do many good deeds and such that are not for public perusal or entertainment.

If I can in some way make someone else feel better, that in my opinion makes a much better world for ALL.

How do I have room for that EGO?

If your head/mind isn't FULL of superstitious nonsense you find that you have plenty of room for thinking and even room for a nice spiritual EGO to grow and flourish.

I ask no one to believe me or follow me or any other popular concepts.

All that I ask is that others try and face THEMSELVES in private and ask themselves IF the path they are traveling is THEIR path OR just maybe they might be much like a trained talking parrot that is programed to say certain words for certain rewards.

Talking parrots, talking snakes and singing flowers all require a nice BOX, book or pot in which to contain them.

I require no BOX as my mind is FREE from the superstition that enslaves the minds of the masses.
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 7:43:22 PM

Right there are some christians (not all) where the name of the game is too save souls.
You can live a life of torture, agony, poverty etc etc they don't care as long as they hear the magic words..........i accept Jesus as my lord and savior.

They have an interesting concept of God to say the least, personally I think they are going to hell if there is one :)
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 4:18:40 AM
At 1/16/2015 2:58:25 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

Agreed. And doing good because you fear God's wrath or "hellfire & brimstone" is not genuine. Good should be done for the right reasons. For the sake of caring for, loving, and doing good deeds, for the world and the individual. Some people don't get that concept.

What a sensible post. If people do good as 'fire insurance' because they are scared of the wrath of an evil deity, it doesn't have the same merit as those who do good for the sake of doing good, imo.