Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Are debates about religion often productive?

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 2:59:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/16/2015 2:43:03 PM, BDPershing wrote:
Are they productive at all?

Depends on who you debate. I wouldn't bother debating though if it was purely for the purpose of changing other people's minds. I debate mostly to learn and have fun.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 3:09:51 PM

Depends on the definition of productive and who you debate.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 3:14:07 PM
At 1/16/2015 2:59:10 PM, Envisage wrote:

Depends on who you debate. I wouldn't bother debating though if it was purely for the purpose of changing other people's minds. I debate mostly to learn and have fun.

+1
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 6:04:46 PM

Some are some are not.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 8:13:03 PM

Very productive if you're into human psychology and sociology. It can be very informative.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 10:37:52 PM

I think so, as long as both people treat it as an educational exchange instead of going on a Crusade.

Every person has a story, a world all their own, and a way of understanding their place in it. For many, religion is an integral part of that world. You cannot understand society, which is the intersection of the stories of a community of people, if you don't understand the common threads within the human psyche. Religion is one of the brightest threads in our tattered, dirty tapestry. It moves people to great lengths, for better or for worse, in ways that mundane affairs seldom can.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -