Jump to topic:

Why the Hypocrisy?

YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 5:49:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What makes Christianity, or Judaism any safer than Islam to have celebrated in public?

This is referring to the Duke University idiocy.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 5:55:08 PM
At 1/16/2015 5:49:57 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
What makes Christianity, or Judaism any safer than Islam to have celebrated in public?

I find it really sad that they allowed themselves to be intimidated into reversing their decision.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 2:25:09 PM

When was the last time a bunch of Jews went on a rampage killing innocents while screaming, "Jehovah is Great!!!" ?
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 2:36:00 PM

Because of ISIS and all the muslim terrorists.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 2:38:46 PM
At 1/19/2015 2:25:09 PM, ethang5 wrote:

When was the last time a bunch of Jews went on a rampage killing innocents while screaming, "Jehovah is Great!!!" ?

This has nothing to do with that. This is about Freedom of Assembly.
TUF, and YYW
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 2:42:24 PM
At 1/19/2015 2:36:00 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Christians and Jews both have terrorists as well. But America seems to have forgotten about the attack on the Sikh people by Frank Silva Roque and the Oklahoma City bombing...

Writing off Islam as a religion of violence while ignoring the crimes committed under the guise of Christianity and Judaism is hypocrisy at it's finest.
TUF, and YYW
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 2:51:50 PM
At 1/19/2015 2:38:46 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Sometimes one must sacrifice their freedoms for greater security.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 2:54:07 PM
At 1/19/2015 2:51:50 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Peter, I am all for preserving order and peace. But when it means denying people the right to assemble under what appears to be peaceful circumstances, I draw the line. If I can guard the KKK meeting in front of city hall every year, these people should be able to let go of their fear of Muslims.
TUF, and YYW
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:14:31 PM

The Jews usually managed to get Christians to do the dirty work; the Crusades, the Inquisition, etc.

The only thing that makes an religion better or worse than any other, is the culture in which it becomes popular.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Paleophyte
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:24:33 PM

Politics and stupidity on all sides. The Christian extremists are every bit as dangerous as anybody else as Oklahoma City demonstrated.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:28:51 PM

I was answering the question, "What makes Christianity, or Judaism any safer than Islam to have celebrated in public? "

Christianity and Judaism are safer because of the behavior of their adherents. Even celebrations of Moslems among themselves frequently end in death for many.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:29:32 PM
At 1/19/2015 2:42:24 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Christians and Jews both have terrorists as well. But America seems to have forgotten about the attack on the Sikh people by Frank Silva Roque and the Oklahoma City bombing...

Writing off Islam as a religion of violence while ignoring the crimes committed under the guise of Christianity and Judaism is hypocrisy at it's finest.

Sure, Christians and Jews have terrorists.

But, currently there are much more Muslim terrorists. I understand there are many crimes commited under Christianinity and Judiasm. But, do you not agree that there are currently more muslim terrorists?
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:31:19 PM
At 1/19/2015 3:29:32 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

But, currently there are much more Muslim terrorists. I understand there are many crimes commited under Christianinity and Judiasm. But, do you not agree that there are currently more muslim terrorists?

No I do not. I believe they're just getting more coverage.
Terrorism has many forms, such as using fear and power to convince a certain amount of the population not to get married.
TUF, and YYW
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:31:42 PM
At 1/19/2015 3:24:33 PM, Paleophyte wrote:

Politics and stupidity on all sides. The Christian extremists are every bit as dangerous as anybody else as Oklahoma City demonstrated.

And because there are enough people like you who see no difference, the islamic terrorists will continue to have people to kill and the means to do it.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:32:57 PM
At 1/19/2015 3:14:31 PM, Beastt wrote:

The Jews usually managed to get Christians to do the dirty work; the Crusades, the Inquisition, etc.

The only thing that makes an religion better or worse than any other, is the culture in which it becomes popular.

I would love to interview an anti-Semite Would you be willing Beastt?.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:37:11 PM

Then you are not referring to Christianity, just one of teh many Satanic counterfeits.

Christianity is a religion of peace where we are taught to love our enemies, to feed them, not return evil for evil to them.

Anyone who does not work hard at practising that is not truly Christian.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:37:38 PM

Hmm, you do realize that the Crusades and Spanish Inquisition were actually perpetrated against the Jews? Both periods included the murder of thousands, as well as (particularly in the case of Spain) the forced expulsion to other lands.

Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:42:24 PM
At 1/19/2015 3:32:57 PM, ethang5 wrote:

Not only am I not an anti-semite, I've not said anything which would even suggest that. So if name-calling without cause is the best you can do, perhaps you should have a long close look at why your beliefs leave you with no other stance for debate.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:43:16 PM
At 1/19/2015 3:37:11 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Then you are not referring to Christianity, just one of teh many Satanic counterfeits.

Christianity is a religion of peace where we are taught to love our enemies, to feed them, not return evil for evil to them.

Do you hear yourself?
TUF, and YYW
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:48:06 PM
At 1/19/2015 3:37:38 PM, Emilrose wrote:

Hmm, you do realize that the Crusades and Spanish Inquisition were actually perpetrated against the Jews? Both periods included the murder of thousands, as well as (particularly in the case of Spain) the forced expulsion to other lands.
Hmm, you do realize that the Crusades and Spanish Inquisition were actually perpetrated against Christians, (and nearly anyone else not worshiping the "right" Christian God)? by Christians. And you do realize that Christianity is a spin-off of Judaism, even retaining many of the Jewish "scriptural" works in the Christian Bible?

Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:55:55 PM
At 1/19/2015 3:31:19 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

A 2011 report released by the National Counter Terrorism Center (NCTC) concluded that Sunni Muslims accounted for 70% of the terrorist crimes committed. While the remaining 30% was mostly attributed to secular/political/anarchist and Neo-Nazi/Fascist groups.

Therefore, your assertions about Jewish and Christian terrorism are highly inaccurate.

Terrorism has many forms, such as using fear and power to convince a certain amount of the population not to get married.

Now you're just misinterpreting the actual definition of "terrorism".
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:59:50 PM
At 1/19/2015 3:55:55 PM, Emilrose wrote:

A 2011 report released by the National Counter Terrorism Center (NCTC) concluded that Sunni Muslims accounted for 70% of the terrorist crimes committed. While the remaining 30% was mostly attributed to secular/political/anarchist and Neo-Nazi/Fascist groups.

Therefore, your assertions about Jewish and Christian terrorism are highly inaccurate.
I will believe that, if you can provide me with a non American source.

Terrorism: "the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims"
TUF, and YYW
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 4:10:43 PM
At 1/19/2015 3:48:06 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 1/19/2015 3:37:38 PM, Emilrose wrote:

Hmm, you do realize that the Crusades and Spanish Inquisition were actually perpetrated against Christians, (and nearly anyone else not worshiping the "right" Christian God)? by Christians. And you do realize that Christianity is a spin-off of Judaism, even retaining many of the Jewish "scriptural" works in the Christian Bible?

Your statement: "The Jews usually managed to get Christians to do the dirty work; the Crusades, the Inquisition, etc."

My point is that this is proven false by the fact that the Jews were persecuted by the Christians in large numbers, this included killing/torture and forced expulsion. The Catholic Church is classified as Christian denomination, as it follows the New Testament--a Christian work.

As there are inherent differences in Christianity and Judaism, I'd naturally contend that it is merely a "spin-off". Firstly, Christianity officially rejects the laws of the Torah and maintains a belief in a "trinity"; something in particular opposition to Jewish belief which firmly upholds that G-d can only be one. Jesus (the leading figure of Christianity), is also not the Jewish Messiah. The differences between Judaism are hugely significant.

Just because Christians keep *some* scriptural works from the Hebrew bible it does not mean they actually follow the correct meaning. Most of what they retain has been given new interpretation and entirely different context.

Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 4:13:18 PM
At 1/19/2015 3:59:50 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 1/19/2015 3:55:55 PM, Emilrose wrote:

I will believe that, if you can provide me with a non American source.

Terrorism: "the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims"

Violence being a large part. Encouraging people not to marry (this doesn't count as "force") doesn't necessarily suggest terrorism.

MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 4:23:55 PM
At 1/19/2015 3:43:16 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Do you hear yourself?
Yes, and what I say is true.

There is, and can only be, one true Christian religion, the one that teaches exactly what Christ and the Apostles taught, the one that puts all those teachings into the lives of their followers, and the one that worships the same God that Christ and the Apostles worship.

Christ himself said he would only recognise those doing the will of his father, and that is the will of his father.

There is only one.

Jehovah's Witnesses.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 4:27:26 PM

Okay so don't think there are more muslim terrorists than Jew or Christian? (Clearly there are more Muslim Terrorists. Have you ever heard of ISIS?)

lol so who is terrorizing people not to get married?

Is that equivalent to marrying a underage girl (which happens in many muslim countires)
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 4:32:53 AM
At 1/19/2015 3:42:24 PM, Beastt wrote:

Not only am I not an anti-semite, I've not said anything which would even suggest that.

Really? You said,
"The Jews usually managed to get Christians to do the dirty work; the Crusades, the Inquisition, etc."

How did "The Jews" get Christians to do anything? Anti-Semites have a way of talking which show they believe there is some monolithic group called "The Jews" who can do things and influence things all over the world as one entity.

As a poster pointed out, Jews died by the thousands in the crusades. Did "The Jews" get Christians to kill Jews? How was it done? With a letter to the Pope labeled, "From the Jews" ?

How did "The Jews" effect the inquisition? Israel was not even a country at that time. Just like Anti-Semites, you seem to find a way to blame "The Jews" for every evil that has ever occurred on Earth.

You may not think you are an Anti-Semite, but your words and thinking betray you.

So if name-calling without cause is the best you can do, ....

Without cause?? Can you defend what you said? Of course you cannot. Tell us HOW "The Jews" as a group managed to get Christians to do anything. The Crusades and the inquisition were the work of "The Jews"?? Can you support that?

If you do not wish to be interviewed, ( who could blame you?) just say so. But saying you aren't an Anti-Semite is too much of a strain on our credulity

Would have been a fun way for you to explore yourself and your beliefs.
TheAnonymousTipster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 7:59:46 AM

That's because the western world got it's terrorism over and done with ages ago (conveniently before they started using terms like 'terrorism', funnily enough) and is now in control. They made sure to dominate and call dibs on the best land and such that they could. We all appreciate this. However, what we obviously don't appreciate is when some Muslim's want to violently take what we originally violently took.

Basically, you can call it terrorism or you can call it fighting for a just cause, it just depends which side you're on.

At 1/19/2015 4:23:55 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 1/19/2015 3:43:16 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Do you hear yourself?
Yes, and what I say is true.
You don't see the irony he pointed out?...

Just re-read your sentence, except apply it in defense of Islam instead: "Islam is a religion of peace where we are taught to love our enemies, to feed them, not return evil for evil to them. Anyone who does not work hard at practising that is not truly Muslim".

Some things in the Qur'an condone bad behaviour. Same thing with the Bible. To make a sweeping statement that either one of them is strictly good or bad is wrong. They both have good messages and bad messages, which is why they work for such a large amount of people. They're books that people can interpret however they want and they still justify whatever they want to do in life. That's the danger of religion.

There is only one.
Jehovah's Witnesses.
Just to let you know... the whole world takes you guys VERY seriously.

At 1/20/2015 4:32:53 AM, ethang5 wrote:

Not only am I not an anti-semite, I've not said anything which would even suggest that.

Really? You said,
"The Jews usually managed to get Christians to do the dirty work; the Crusades, the Inquisition, etc."
And this topic is about people saying that "Muslims are terrorists". We all say things in vague ways when we speak and depending on how you choose to interpret it, they can be partially true or entirely presumptuous. Learn to interpret these ways better and assume good faith or you're not going to get on well with many people.

How did "The Jews" get Christians to do anything? Anti-Semites have a way of talking which show they believe there is some monolithic group called "The Jews" who can do things and influence things all over the world as one entity.
Notice how you just did the same thing? "Anti-Semites have a way of talking".
That's exactly like saying "The Jews do things".

They're both true and untrue depending on context. Try to recognise the context better.

You may not think you are an Anti-Semite, but your words and thinking betray you.
And your presumption of bad faith shows you to be a bad person to debate with.

You don't even understand what a semite is, I'm guessing. Little hint, it doesn't necessarily mean "Jew"... he's not necessarily done anything anti-semitic, because that covers a broad group of races, but sure, what he said could be construed as "anti-Jew".
See the definition of 'semite':
a member of any of the peoples who speak or spoke a Semitic language, including in particular the Jews and Arabs.

In which case, you'd equally be being anti-semitic if you said Muslims were terrorists.

I mean come on, there are some people who are particularly nasty about Jewish people, then there are people who just call out what they see. Sometimes I'm also tempted to often call out the fact that most of the jews I see or hear about seem to be rich and powerful... it's not me being anti-Jew, but rather 'anti-large-rich-cultural-group'. I naturally get suspicious when people who share a similar trait have so much success. That doesn't mean I'm exterminating the Jews tomorrow... but I'm open as ever for exterminating the richest and most powerful people in the world no matter who they are, haha.

Then again, that's apparently what Hitler was doing...
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 5:45:22 PM
At 1/20/2015 4:32:53 AM, ethang5 wrote:

Really? You said,

And yet you claim to have the capacity to be less than literal when reading the Bible. Strange that. My point was that Christianity adopted much of the scripture of Judaism and went on to launch the Crusades and Inquisition in the name of their religious beliefs. It's amazing that anyone can be so openly dense as to miss that, and yet still (presumable), function in society.

As a poster pointed out, Jews died by the thousands in the crusades. Did "The Jews" get Christians to kill Jews? How was it done? With a letter to the Pope labeled, "From the Jews" ?
And as I pointed out, Christians also died by the thousands at the hands of other Christians. Does that suggest that they were coerced by those Christians, or does it more appropriately point out that Christianity has always spawned a blood-thirsty following, while having come from Judaism?

How did "The Jews" effect the inquisition? Israel was not even a country at that time. Just like Anti-Semites, you seem to find a way to blame "The Jews" for every evil that has ever occurred on Earth.
I've explained his above. I'm not going to waste my time repeating it for the likes of you.

Your complete inability to properly understand my words have mislead you. I have no real feeling toward Jews one way, or the other. They're people. I rate all people by the same standards. Stop trying to paint me as a racist. You'll fail.

So if name-calling without cause is the best you can do, ....

Without cause?? Can you defend what you said? Of course you cannot.
I don't have to defend it. But in your case, it turns out I needed to explain it. Apparently, it was well over your head.

Tell us HOW "The Jews" as a group managed to get Christians to do anything. The Crusades and the inquisition were the work of "The Jews"?? Can you support that?
Again, I've explained this above. Keep asking the same question, I'll keep referring you to the same response.

If you do not wish to be interviewed, ( who could blame you?) just say so. But saying you aren't an Anti-Semite is too much of a strain on our credulity
Oh please! You believe in a book which talks about zombies, witches, unicorns, giants, wizards, sea monsters and dragons. Nothing strains your credulity. You show no sign of the capacity to understand what is credible, and what is not. You simply try to paint everything as you wish to see it, and that's what you're doing in leveling the completely false accusation that I agree in any way with antisemitism.

Would have been a fun way for you to explore yourself and your beliefs.
If you want to explore me, try listening to what I say instead of trying twist it into what you believe.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 6:13:33 PM
At 1/19/2015 2:51:50 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Those who trade liberty for security deserve neither and will lose both. - Ben Franklin

Besides, what do you care about security? If God favors you then you're safe from all harm no? That is until he wants to to go to heaven, then he'll kill you.