Experiment?

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 11:36:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
To any atheists and agnostics.

Have you tried to give theism a shot? See if it can make sense of life? Make things not just seem clear but feel good? Can you see yourself as a theist at all?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 11:50:30 PM
At 1/19/2015 11:36:58 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Have you tried to give theism a shot? See if it can make sense of life? Make things not just seem clear but feel good? Can you see yourself as a theist at all?

Yes, with a pre-frontal lobotomy and a half ton of lsd.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 11:53:52 PM

I was a theist for 25 years. It was a world view where I relied on an invisible being to help me make the right decisions, and comfort me when loved ones die. Ultimately, I realized the relationship I had with god was completely one sided. It was a security blanket of my own design. Based on what I know now, I do not foresee theism in my personal future.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 11:59:57 PM

Yes. I was a theist for 33-years. During at least 32 of those years I never seriously questioned it. Once I did ask some intelligent questions and didn't resort to the typical phrases of pure confirmation-bias, I found I could no longer hold to the beliefs. If you don't practice confirmation-bias, you can't retain theistic beliefs.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 12:34:30 AM

I've already done that. I feel better this way. But thank you. You really are the best theist here by a long shot.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 12:58:15 AM

I would not consider myself as having ever been a theist. I went to Sunday School on a sporadic basis, and read the bible, but saw it in a similar light to Aesop's fables and Greek myths; I saw all of them as part of a misty, fantastical past. As I learned other things they all faded equally into the realm of dreams and stories, and I never experienced a world of visceral certitude which some theists come to acquire, and I don't really think that I'm all that suited to it.

I was a Theravada Buddhist for six years, though I constantly found myself constrained by essential doctrines, the First Noble Truth being the biggest one. So I left the religion on any formal basis, though the control over emotions like fear and anger that it gave me still comes in immense use. I still get angry and afraid, of course, but I can snuff the emotions out like a candle flame in pretty short order. This means that I don't really hold any grudges. The stress management is also incredibly useful.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 4:53:24 AM

It's not possible unless your meaning is to go through the motions (attend church, read the Bible and pray etc.) and then hope that real belief will somehow follow. Otherwise it can't be done because sincere belief is not a choice as you seem to be implying. You can't just arbitrarily choose to believe in something. Beliefs are formed, not chosen.
Classified
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 4:58:46 AM
At 1/19/2015 11:53:52 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

I was a theist for 25 years. It was a world view where I relied on an invisible being to help me make the right decisions, and comfort me when loved ones die. Ultimately, I realized the relationship I had with god was completely one sided. It was a security blanket of my own design. Based on what I know now, I do not foresee theism in my personal future.

Which god?
Classified
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 5:04:02 AM
At 1/20/2015 4:53:24 AM, dee-em wrote:

It's not possible unless your meaning is to go through the motions (attend church, read the Bible and pray etc.) and then hope that real belief will somehow follow. Otherwise it can't be done because sincere belief is not a choice as you seem to be implying. You can't just arbitrarily choose to believe in something. Beliefs are formed, not chosen.

Changing religion is possible.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 7:03:17 AM
At 1/20/2015 4:58:46 AM, Classified wrote:
At 1/19/2015 11:53:52 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Which god?

No god, but Christianity was the religion.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 7:05:13 AM

I was a Reformed Protestant before I turned atheist so yeah I did. I felt silly whenever I tried to pray or when I went to church.
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

---Help Bsh and YYW see each other---
http://www.gofundme.com...
TheAnonymousTipster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 7:24:15 AM
I find the use of the word 'theism' is mostly reserved for those who are down-right in denial about realism.

I was partly raised Catholic (whenever I visited grandparents). As a kid I prayed and wished for stuff I wanted and everything. I thought the idea of God was ridiculous, but for some reason it was always still something I'd think of when times were bad. That's about it, though.

Like a lot of religious people, I didn't actually think about God in terms of "oh, the universe needs an explanation, and God is the only one possible". I'd argue that most religious people aren't theists, because they don't actually make or understand the theories that support their beliefs in deities - I've always found this true in England anyway, and the rest of the EU seems pretty much the same - only US Christians seem to still take religion so strictly seriously these days (oh and Muslims of course).

When I got to the age where I actually had curiosities about the origin of life and the universe, I had already been told about the big bang and evolution (Catholics are sane enough not to reject what's obviously true). But just like I'd been told that God created us all, I didn't strictly believe or understand it, and I never really questioned it. Over time, anyway, I stopped thinking about either one. I considered myself atheist just due to my lack of religion. And I always took at most deistic view on the possibility of God - he's like Santa, even if he exists, he's supposed to love everyone so I see no reason he'd resent me for not spending the life he apparently gave me on worshipping him. That just wouldn't make sense.

Anyway since the big bang and God had slipped from my mind and I happened to be wondering how the universe exists, I ended up coming up with my own answer which I've now learned is similar to the "steady state theory"... http://en.wikipedia.org...
I figured that the universe and time must be eternal, and ended it at that. Turns out it wasn't a bad guess considering I had little science knowledge (unless you count computer programming as science - I don't, but I get why it technically is) and I came to this conclusion at about 17y/o.

Only in the last 6 months did I actually think "you know what, I still don't know what this E=mc2 crap is supposed to mean". I figured it'd be a good idea to actually try to understand some basic physics. Again, I didn't believe in God and I've considered myself atheist most of my life, but at the same time I hadn't paid enough attention to physics theories in the past to even understand that my steady state theory was already disproven. Video after video I became more and more amazed with the knowledge I'd missed out on. I think it was a simple case of my mind having never been ready to take in this kind of stuff before - but by now I had genuine curiosities about the way stuff works. Learning about relativity was the big thing for me... even time is more complex, or perhaps more simple than I ever thought.

It became clear the universe did indeed have a beginning and that it's well proven and explainable, so I felt an initial shock that my own idea was wrong, but my mind was so excited by new info that I was quickly forming new ideas. It's only at around about this point that the idea of God pops into my head again, and so I started looking at religious vs. atheist debates. This would be the first time I've ever seen what I call a "theist". People who not only believe in God, but dismissed science in order to do it. I didn't think anyone who understood it ever dismissed science, but there you go...

These debates also all sparked a lot of ideas in my mind about what the ultimate answer would be. I'd be shouting at the screen that the theist made a stupid mistake in his logic, or that the atheist did a really bad job of explaining something or seemed to over-complicate it. But these many ideas were all great and they all seemed plausible. I heard from a few physicists and cosmologists on their ideas, which always took a scientific angle. I also heard from theists, who took more of a "circular logic" angle which irked me. While I may not have ever been too knowledgable on physics or religion in particular, what I can damn sure do is detect 'BS' - my mind is like a logic-processing machine. I am always able to deconstruct an argument to it's basic attributes and compare it to other similar, sometimes metaphorical, examples to determine how valid it is. It's basically like unknotting a slinky... follow a straight line and see if it meets at the end.

So, my current, latest and most idealised theory on the universe is totally atheistic. It is however totally unscientific, but for good reason.

- Theists believe God must have always existed and created the universe (but how can he always exist, and why's it him that exists and not something else?)
- Most physicists and cosmologists seem to want there to be a scientific explanation of nothingness - e.g. a dimension of infinite random energy like the CMB of empty space (which is better and less coincidental, but that's still *something*, which might as well be called God)
- Atheists seem to be waiting for science to hurry up and gather more evidence before they make a decision, which is pretty good, but down right boring if you ask me...

My idea uses semantics, but for good reason. I simply took the next logical step which both theists and most atheists seem unwilling to take - throwing out common logic. Instead of trying to work out how existence exists, I think about what would happen if it didn't exist at all... we'd have nonexistence forever? If nonexistence includes the lack of physical laws, doesn't that just give way to existence again? It seems like loopy logic, but it's exactly the kind of loopy logic needed, and in the smallest and simplest quantity possible.

So in a way, I've tried theism, agnosticism and atheism. I don't really pay attention to each time my latest theory updates what "ism" I have... I just use common sense and logic and whatever I can genuinely find as the most probable explanation will work for me until it's proven otherwise.

And no, theism definitely didn't answer anything about life, at all. In fact, theism is what brought the first and most confusing questions.
Belief in a God raises WAY more questions than it answers. Once you go atheist, your view on the world actually becomes transparent, and not obscured by the amount of "well, is God involved in THIS?", "is this a sign?", "why isn't God listening?" or similar questions you get day-to-day. None of those questions matter. All of life's best questions can be answered without dying and trusting that you'll go to some special place where they're answered.

Agnosticism is just boring. I've never been a fence-sitter or a quitter.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 7:42:25 AM
At 1/20/2015 7:05:13 AM, carriead20 wrote:

I was a Reformed Protestant before I turned atheist so yeah I did. I felt silly whenever I tried to pray or when I went to church.

What makes the two requirements of the Christian faith? Those are preferences. Imagine if somebody couldn't speak. He couldn't necesarily pray, but wouldn't mean God would reject him. So interesting denomination.
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 7:44:31 AM
At 1/20/2015 7:42:25 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:

What makes the two requirements of the Christian faith? Those are preferences. Imagine if somebody couldn't speak. He couldn't necesarily pray, but wouldn't mean God would reject him. So interesting denomination.

Oh I never said that those were requirements but whenever I thought about afterlife and the stories in the bible I felt like I was imagining a different world, almost like a fantasy. I'm sure being over-seas didn't help anything.
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 7:48:22 AM
I did the ghastly 'born again' bit as a kid. Thank goodness I grew out of that nonsense pretty quickly, when I began to question its credibility.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 7:49:45 AM
At 1/20/2015 7:44:31 AM, carriead20 wrote:

Oh I never said that those were requirements but whenever I thought about afterlife and the stories in the bible I felt like I was imagining a different world, almost like a fantasy. I'm sure being over-seas didn't help anything.

I wish people would stop seeing the bible as a happy fairy tale turned reality. It's not! Nothing will end the suffering on Earth or the pain. It makes me sad to admit it, but one of my virtues is honesty. I can't say I know of an afterlife or the certainty of some of the stories in the bible (I believe there books and chapters of the bible which are mainly parables or big fictional yet moral stories altogether). So the one suggestion I'd tell somebody is to not think your pain will automatically go away and the world will not be fixed just because you accepted Christ. This ain't like the happy animes you and I probably saw.
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 7:58:39 AM
At 1/20/2015 7:49:45 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:

I wish people would stop seeing the bible as a happy fairy tale turned reality. It's not!
I'm not seeing it as a happy fairy tale. In fact far from it, I see it as trials of pain and loyalty.
Nothing will end the suffering on Earth or the pain.
According to the bible the coming Jesus will end the suffering and pain of earth.
It makes me sad to admit it, but one of my virtues is honesty. I can't say I know of an afterlife or the certainty of some of the stories in the bible (I believe there books and chapters of the bible which are mainly parables or big fictional yet moral stories altogether).
Don't be sad to admit you are honest. Neither can I, nor can I say that their is a god so until valid evidence is brought forth for one. So until then I shall be an agnostic atheist
So the one suggestion I'd tell somebody is to not think your pain will automatically go away and the world will not be fixed just because you accepted Christ.
Oh I know that, that's what I tell others when they ask about Christianity.
This ain't like the happy animes you and I probably saw.
Oh I know that, trust me I know that...

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:00:21 AM

Most atheists and agnostics of this generation grew up in a religion, so that means they gave it a try.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:17:35 AM
At 1/20/2015 7:58:39 AM, carriead20 wrote:

I wish people would stop seeing the bible as a happy fairy tale turned reality. It's not!
I'm not seeing it as a happy fairy tale. In fact far from it, I see it as trials of pain and loyalty.
According to the bible the coming Jesus will end the suffering and pain of earth.
It makes me sad to admit it, but one of my virtues is honesty. I can't say I know of an afterlife or the certainty of some of the stories in the bible (I believe there books and chapters of the bible which are mainly parables or big fictional yet moral stories altogether).
Don't be sad to admit you are honest. Neither can I, nor can I say that their is a god so until valid evidence is brought forth for one. So until then I shall be an agnostic atheist
So the one suggestion I'd tell somebody is to not think your pain will automatically go away and the world will not be fixed just because you accepted Christ.

To point out your part about Jesus in the second coming, I don't know if that all together is a metaphor or a sign for the end of the world. I see this. When the universe we are in and the earth is destroyed, I believe there will be a new heaven and earth built that will be perfect and we will be given new bodies to live the life there. One where we can start over and make life good. I personally add our knowledge will be the same almost from earth. This could lead to an advance in art and anime/manga will be out soon on this new earth. :D

But your right about that bible mentioning.
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:48:42 AM
At 1/20/2015 8:17:35 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 1/20/2015 7:58:39 AM, carriead20 wrote:

To point out your part about Jesus in the second coming, I don't know if that all together is a metaphor or a sign for the end of the world. I see this. When the universe we are in and the earth is destroyed, I believe there will be a new heaven and earth built that will be perfect and we will be given new bodies to live the life there. One where we can start over and make life good. I personally add our knowledge will be the same almost from earth. This could lead to an advance in art and anime/manga will be out soon on this new earth. :D
Hey if that's true then I'll gladly be part of this "new earth" :D
But your right about that bible mentioning.
Not trying to sound cocky but I know, I may not be a Christian anymore but I still remember what I read in the Bible (for like the seventh time)