Jump to topic:

What Would Jesus Do?

JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2010 9:00:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I came across this quote going through a collection of vintage Playboys (no, really) - it was a letter about the death penalty and the virulent Christian opposition to it...

Where would Christians be if Jesus had gotten 8-15 years with time off for good behavior?

It seems to me that as a matter of principle, Christians should wholeheartedly SUPPORT the death penalty, as it is responsible for their very belief system!
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2010 9:04:28 PM
They should also support suicide in some form, since quite a few believe that Christ knew he was going to die and did nothing to prevent it, and in fact might have encouraged it.

Ooo, contradictions are fun!
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2010 9:13:22 PM
At 6/21/2010 9:00:00 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
I came across this quote going through a collection of vintage Playboys (no, really) - it was a letter about the death penalty and the virulent Christian opposition to it...

Where would Christians be if Jesus had gotten 8-15 years with time off for good behavior?

It seems to me that as a matter of principle, Christians should wholeheartedly SUPPORT the death penalty, as it is responsible for their very belief system!

Jesus, an innocent man, also God, was killed. That is a very strong argument AGAINST the death "penalty".
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 12:07:58 AM
At 6/21/2010 9:13:22 PM, Reasoning wrote:

Jesus, an innocent man, also God, was killed. That is a very strong argument AGAINST the death "penalty".

We should be for murder because Jesus was murdered. Brilliant!

BAHAHAHAAA!!!
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 12:33:57 AM
> the death penalty and the virulent Christian opposition to it...
It's odd. Maybe it's just a media thing, but it's mostly just the right wing in America that's for the death penalty - and the right is the much more religious half of America. Christians round 'ere tend to be the pro-death-penalty, pro-guns, anti-social-programs kind of folks.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 1:45:12 AM
Maybe it's a regional thing... most Christians I knew were opposed to the death penalty... course they were Midwestern Catholics, but still..
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 2:42:46 AM

Peter tried to talk Him out of it..
Pilate tried to set Him free..
Jesus even asked the Father " If You can take this cup from Me.. "
BUT there was NO other way.
Jesus HAD to go to the cross.
He bought us back from satan.
Sacrificed Himself for me.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 2:44:56 AM
I am rationally for the Death Penalty.

My Christian side says no.

Because it interfere's with the rights of others I will follow my rational side. So my stance is Pro.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 2:46:16 AM
At 6/22/2010 2:42:46 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Conflict with historical fact.

Theologically impossible.

Theological gibberish.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 2:52:12 AM
At 6/22/2010 2:46:16 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

There is more historical evidence for the Gospels that ANY other historical fact.
(HEY! this unsubstantiated assertion stuff IS fun!)

Jesus was a Man too.

Theological gibberish.

Nope.. the Holy TRUTH.

And take that mask off now Tarzan, we all know it's you.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 2:56:14 AM
At 6/22/2010 2:52:12 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Pilate had the army, the pharisees did not. He clearly did not try very had to set Jesus free.

There is more historical evidence for the Gospels that ANY other historical fact.
(HEY! this unsubstantiated assertion stuff IS fun!)

Jesus was a Man too.

Conflict with trinity. Fail.

Theological gibberish.

Nope.. the Holy TRUTH.

Is this a reference to my manly physique and accusations of beastiality?

Anyways...

Are you ever going to debate? Suggested topics include.
The trinity.
Biblical conflicts with history.
Crucifixtion.
Homosexuality.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 10:46:31 AM
At 6/22/2010 2:56:14 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

A spit-ton of gibberish

Is this a reference to my manly physique and accusations of beastiality?

I think it's one of DAT's diseased minds conjuring up what he wishes - to be alone in a forum with only me... I hate to think what he fantasizes about.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 10:51:33 AM

when you say we all...... your just talking about you right? because ofcourse you paranoid perceptions about who JustCallMeTarzan multiacconts as are the only ones taken for consensus view of DDO resedents.

meanwhile if we ignore you DATC we find that from an actual vote no one else here thinks Narcy is Tarzan.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 10:52:59 AM

a lot of Christians do support it, but not for those reasons. my church though personally does not on grounds of the doctrine of second chances is most consistent with our theology.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.