Jump to topic:

Buddhism

TheAnonymousTipster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:05:16 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Things seem to get really heated in this section, obviously mostly over that stupid God vs. the truth thing.

Atheists keep saying religion causes nothing but problems and religious people keep making grand claims about all religions too (that all are evil except there's, mostly).

One that people seem to overlook a lot, though, is Buddhism, which I think is the best religion there is, and if I was in any way religiously inclined, it's what I would pick.

Funnily enough, the much peaceful Buddhists don't praise a deity... coincidence?
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:13:05 AM
At 1/20/2015 8:05:16 AM, TheAnonymousTipster wrote:
Things seem to get really heated in this section, obviously mostly over that stupid God vs. the truth thing.

Atheists keep saying religion causes nothing but problems and religious people keep making grand claims about all religions too (that all are evil except there's, mostly).

One that people seem to overlook a lot, though, is Buddhism, which I think is the best religion there is, and if I was in any way religiously inclined, it's what I would pick.

Funnily enough, the much peaceful Buddhists don't praise a deity... coincidence?

If Buddhism is a true religion that provides salvation in here after then I would also pick it.
TheAnonymousTipster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:20:53 AM
At 1/20/2015 8:13:05 AM, uncung wrote:
If Buddhism is a true religion that provides salvation in here after then I would also pick it.

That's the only stupid part of Buddhism for me. They teach reincarnation, which is flawed on so many levels, but it's at least a somewhat poetic and nice idea. At least there's no God involved who acts as a cruel dictator and with whom words can be put in his mouth to justify all sorts of things.

They just believe in inner-peace and happiness. The rest works itself out, I guess.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:24:29 AM

That's the only stupid part of Buddhism for me. They teach reincarnation, which is flawed on so many levels, but it's at least a somewhat poetic and nice idea. At least there's no God involved who acts as a cruel dictator and with whom words can be put in his mouth to justify all sorts of things.

They just believe in inner-peace and happiness. The rest works itself out, I guess.

why would one bother adhering such Buddhism if it gives nothing excluding "inner peace and happiness"?
One may gain inner beauty and happiness also in hearing music, traveling, reading novel, watching movies and soon.
TheAnonymousTipster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:35:12 AM
At 1/20/2015 8:24:29 AM, uncung wrote:
why would one bother adhering such Buddhism if it gives nothing excluding "inner peace and happiness"?
One may gain inner beauty and happiness also in hearing music, traveling, reading novel, watching movies and soon.

Well Buddhism is strictly about not doing that. Buddhists tend to go against being materialistic. Uh, they'd rather sit and think for 8 hours or something, I'm not sure. Point is it's more about being spiritual than superstitious. It fulfills the roles of most religions with moral guidance and being aware, but there's no real authority.

Also, Buddhism is scientific and actually achieves good things that can be scientifically verified... in a sense, their miracles are actually real. Buddhists live healthy lifestyles both physically and mentally. It's all about finding happiness without being materialistic.

Buddhism is also compatible with most other religions, so they're not likely to start wars just because some people believe differently than they do.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:42:18 AM
At 1/20/2015 8:13:05 AM, uncung wrote:

There is salvation for even tortured souls like you. But it will take several life cycles before you find it. You will be starting very developmentally low in the cycle of rebirths.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:44:22 AM
Well Buddhism is strictly about not doing that. Buddhists tend to go against being materialistic. Uh, they'd rather sit and think for 8 hours or something, I'm not sure. Point is it's more about being spiritual than superstitious. It fulfills the roles of most religions with moral guidance and being aware, but there's no real authority.

Also, Buddhism is scientific and actually achieves good things that can be scientifically verified... in a sense, their miracles are actually real. Buddhists live healthy lifestyles both physically and mentally. It's all about finding happiness without being materialistic.

Buddhism is also compatible with most other religions, so they're not likely to start wars just because some people believe differently than they do.

But you forget that Buddhism as a religion also belong to a certain supernatural belief and rituals. The recent Buddhism in the west is depicted as merely a self control per se.
while in the east it has many rituals and religious activities in their temple.
All religions provide happiness feeling, giving hope and miracles alike.
they also can propose scientific verification back their beliefs, that is considered merely as coincidence.
Why on earth people consider materialistic is the bad attitude? we get good job, going to college and soon they are for materialistic purpose.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:47:24 AM

There is salvation for even tortured souls like you. But it will take several life cycles before you find it. You will be starting very developmentally low in the cycle of rebirths.

see? Buddhism unmask its face, it is a common religion that belongs to life after death concept. rebirth cycle, sound very superstitious.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:50:56 AM

I have been learning about Budhism for about 3 years now. There are different sects / denominations / interpretations of Buddhism as in any other major religion. No all include reincarnation.

I consider myself more of a Buddhist than any other religious philosophy. I am attracted by it's non-reliance on a deity or deities, however there are some Buddhist sects that do encompass deities (much like the Hindu culture Buddhism came out of). I am also attracted by it's principles for personal accountability for one's own thoughts and behaviors.

If anyone is seriously interested in Buddhism, visit you public library. I found a lot of good information there. I highly recommend "BEYOND RELIGION : Ethics for a Whole World" by the Dalai Lama.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:56:55 AM
I have been learning about Budhism for about 3 years now. There are different sects / denominations / interpretations of Buddhism as in any other major religion. No all include reincarnation.

I consider myself more of a Buddhist than any other religious philosophy. I am attracted by it's non-reliance on a deity or deities, however there are some Buddhist sects that do encompass deities (much like the Hindu culture Buddhism came out of). I am also attracted by it's principles for personal accountability for one's own thoughts and behaviors.

If anyone is seriously interested in Buddhism, visit you public library. I found a lot of good information there. I highly recommend "BEYOND RELIGION : Ethics for a Whole World" by the Dalai Lama.

questions that hardly answered by Buddhist i.e.:
what you get for practicing Buddhism? what if you refuse it? What is the risk? if there is no risk then why you bother practicing it?
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:01:22 AM
At 1/20/2015 8:44:22 AM, uncung wrote:

But you forget that Buddhism as a religion also belong to a certain supernatural belief and rituals. The recent Buddhism in the west is depicted as merely a self control per se.
they also can propose scientific verification back their beliefs, that is considered merely as coincidence.
Why on earth people consider materialistic is the bad attitude? we get good job, going to college and soon they are for materialistic purpose.

What "supernatural beliefs " and "rituals " are you referring to? Not all Buddhist sects have that, much like fundamentalist Baptist don't have the saints and rituals of the Roman Catholic Church. You paint with too broad a brush, most likely from lack of knowledge.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:07:09 AM
What "supernatural beliefs " and "rituals " are you referring to? Not all Buddhist sects have that, much like fundamentalist Baptist don't have the saints and rituals of the Roman Catholic Church. You paint with too broad a brush, most likely from lack of knowledge.

I am afraid you lack of knowledge on Buddhism. I am an asian. So my knowledge of Buddhism bases on east religion. my country has a holiday for Buddhism. And i see them pray, ring bell, wear orange cloak and do other specific rituals in their temple.
As I now Buddhist believe in Naraka, Nirvana, Dharma, and soon.
TheAnonymousTipster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:17:24 AM
Not necessarily. The religion is about what's effective in finding self-peace and happiness. So if that includes a supernatural belief, so be it. That itself is scientific as they actually base their actions and decisions on

Remember, there's no rules set in stone about the methods you use to find peace in Buddhism. Whatever positive steps you take are supported by it, and other Buddhists will also have varying techniques. That does however make Buddhist practise hard to define. On the one hand, they have Karma, on the other, they don't necessarily believe in it, but treat it more like a philosophical concept.

I'd like an example of another religion actually scientifically verifying their practises.

Meditation is a proven and widely supported method of therapy.
Buddhists are often vegetarian (eating meat is "frowned upon", but again, Buddhism has no real authority or control so you can pick and choose what you want). Aside from that they view the harm of all creatures as wrong (unlike most religions that are all fine with killing or enslaving whatever animals we want, even for fun, but humans are a no-no), they appreciate the health benefits of good vegetarianism.

Because it's a symptom of greed. Greed is a growing problem which I'd say could be compared to being an alcoholic. You think that being materialistic makes you happy because you've built a dependency on it - when in fact it's the dependency that keeps you unhappy until your never ending need for more materialistic things is satisfied.

Buddhists realise that happiness is in no way connected to materialistic things or wealth. In fact, Buddhism is probably the poorest of all thought of religions, as Buddhists are against reliance on money for living.

None of this is based on superstition, but the premise that these things can (and do) help to achieve a good, happy life. I think this might explain why Buddhism is also one of the least abandoned religions.
TheAnonymousTipster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:22:07 AM
At 1/20/2015 8:50:56 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I am, but I fear it's too late for me, haha. Also I hate reading inflated books... I'm too used to the quick learning I can usually achieve via the internet, Wikipedia, videos, etc.

And it's kind of a thin line in my eyes anyway. I already try to practise mindful meditation (wish I ever had more time to do it) and already agree with many of what I can identify as being part of basic Buddhist principles. I'm just not sure what else it would have to offer.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:25:11 AM
At 1/20/2015 8:56:55 AM, uncung wrote:

questions that hardly answered by Buddhist i.e.:
what you get for practicing Buddhism? what if you refuse it? What is the risk? if there is no risk then why you bother practicing it?

So people only believe in a system of reward and punishment from some supernatural entity? To me, that's a denial of personal responsibility and accountability.

What's the reward in Buddhism? Peace of mind and happiness. What's the risk? Mental, emotional, and physical suffering.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:26:07 AM

You have chosen well. You are on the right PATH. There are no deities in Buddhism. It is all personal accountability and the. control. of ones desires and EGO. The materialistic world is just an illusion and offers no lasting satisfaction, only temporary gratification of the flesh/desires. It is through meditation and the quest for enlightenment that one frees the ego and transcends the physical boundaries of our existence to a higher plane of consciousness.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:34:08 AM
So people only believe in a system of reward and punishment from some supernatural entity? To me, that's a denial of personal responsibility and accountability.

What's the reward in Buddhism? Peace of mind and happiness. What's the risk? Mental, emotional, and physical suffering.

It is very normal on doing something for hoping the rewards and avoiding the punishment.
What kind of peace of mind you get for practicing Buddhism that different from other beliefs?
non buddhist do not get mental, emotional and physical suffering for refusing Buddhism.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:34:36 AM
At 1/20/2015 9:26:07 AM, Harikrish wrote:

You have chosen well. You are on the right PATH. There are no deities in Buddhism. It is all personal accountability and the. control. of ones desires and EGO. The materialistic world is just an illusion and offers no lasting satisfaction, only temporary gratification of the flesh/desires. It is through meditation and the quest for enlightenment that one frees the ego and transcends the physical boundaries of our existence to a higher plane of consciousness.

You understand. Unfortunately, there are many here who choose to argue out of ignorance. Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity can't
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:35:32 AM

Which form of Buddhism are you challenging?
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:38:59 AM
At 1/20/2015 9:34:08 AM, uncung wrote:

It is very normal on doing something for hoping the rewards and avoiding the punishment.
What kind of peace of mind you get for practicing Buddhism that different from other beliefs?
non buddhist do not get mental, emotional and physical suffering for refusing Buddhism.

I'm not saying they can't. I'm just saying I don't believe in a supernatural system of reward and punishment to achieve it.
XVIII18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:41:41 AM

If you truly are at inner peace you find no reason for there to be any form of afterlife. Exactly, all of those things are what you can call aspects of a good and emotionally happy life. However, a lot of people do not realize this and instead feel seperated from their own life and become depressed from not taking part in life.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:42:22 AM

I'm not saying they can't. I'm just saying I don't believe in a supernatural system of reward and punishment to achieve it.
But Buddhism believe in supernatural system of reward and punishment. Or, does truth depend on what we believe?
XVIII18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:43:03 AM

I personally also do not believe in the supernatural aspects of Buddhism and therefore resort to Taoism which can be explained through logic and science.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:43:31 AM
At 1/20/2015 9:38:59 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 1/20/2015 9:34:08 AM, uncung wrote:

I just see most religions as as a self-delusional why of going about it.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:47:39 AM
If you truly are at inner peace you find no reason for there to be any form of afterlife. Exactly, all of those things are what you can call aspects of a good and emotionally happy life. However, a lot of people do not realize this and instead feel separated from their own life and become depressed from not taking part in life.

The real peace is in afterlife. In this world, peace only an introduction for peace in afterlife. Since here no one totally owns happy and peace.
In afterlife one will get perfect peace. to gain it, one must practice true religion. Buddhism is not a true religion. moreover it lets one go to hell. trust me.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:47:48 AM
At 1/20/2015 9:42:22 AM, uncung wrote:

But Buddhism believe in supernatural system of reward and punishment. Or, does truth depend on what we believe?

What "supernatural " system are you referring to? Do you REALLY know what you are talking about? How much do you, personally, REALLY KNOW about Budhism? From what I can see very little.
XVIII18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:52:14 AM
At 1/20/2015 9:47:39 AM, uncung wrote:
If you truly are at inner peace you find no reason for there to be any form of afterlife. Exactly, all of those things are what you can call aspects of a good and emotionally happy life. However, a lot of people do not realize this and instead feel separated from their own life and become depressed from not taking part in life.

The real peace is in afterlife. In this world, peace only an introduction for peace in afterlife. Since here no one totally owns happy and peace.
In afterlife one will get perfect peace. to gain it, one must practice true religion. Buddhism is not a true religion. moreover it lets one go to hell. trust me.

I am not entirely sure you are viewing Buddhism with an open mind but whatever floats your boat.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:53:09 AM
What "supernatural " system are you referring to? Do you REALLY know what you are talking about? How much do you, personally, REALLY KNOW about Buddhism? From what I can see very little.

they believe in heaven, hell, devil, rewards, soul, what else religions believe in to?
XVIII18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:58:42 AM
At 1/20/2015 9:53:09 AM, uncung wrote:
What "supernatural " system are you referring to? Do you REALLY know what you are talking about? How much do you, personally, REALLY KNOW about Buddhism? From what I can see very little.

they believe in heaven, hell, devil, rewards, soul, what else religions believe in to?

Buddhists do not believe in heaven, hell, devil, or rewards.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 10:03:35 AM

Buddhists do not believe in heaven, hell, devil, or rewards.

dear, they believe in Naraka (hell, please take a look on Wikipedia), Nirvana (heaven), Mara (devils), rewards (vahala), and soon.

I am an asian.