Jump to topic:

Why atheism and not agnosticism?

Geneaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 7:31:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If you have logically coherent ideas about God/s (I believe most religions offer that), then why assume it's impossible there is a God and be atheist rather than be agnostic?

We have no evidence there are no Gods.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 7:59:29 PM
At 1/20/2015 7:31:12 PM, Geneaux wrote:
If you have logically coherent ideas about God/s (I believe most religions offer that), then why assume it's impossible there is a God and be atheist rather than be agnostic?

Why do you keep failing to understand what atheism is?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 7:59:50 PM

We have no evidence there are no fairies either. Do you believe in fairies because we have no evidence that they don't exist?

What logically makes you decide that any mythical character is indeed mythical?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:05:11 PM

Most atheists don't assume god is impossible. We also do not assume that "god" refers to the god believed by any known religions.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:10:19 PM

Define 'God'.

Until you do I remain both an ignostic (with an 'i') and an atheist.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:41:26 PM

Most atheists are agnostic when talking about the possibility of there being a god or gods. Something that is very common is that they (including myself) are usually ignostic when it comes to the God of Abraham and believe said god is totally, 100%, a man made god. I don't know a single atheist who is agnostic when it comes to the god associated with the old testament. Maybe there is one here, but I doubt it.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 8:52:15 PM
If you have logically coherent ideas about God/s (I believe most religions offer that)

False premise, there are no logically coherent ideas about God.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:29:27 PM

Please educate yourself...
http://1.bp.blogspot.com...
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:44:29 PM
At 1/20/2015 9:29:27 PM, Double_R wrote:

False Dichotomy. Agnostic is defined as a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena. That is NOTHING is known or can be known.

And yet your chart says anything less than 100% certainty is agnostic. There is a gulf ~99% difference between definition and chart.

Theist who make an assertive claim of God sometimes are not 100% certain, but feel God is a likely conclusion.

Certainty is an illusory quality.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 9:50:05 PM
At 1/20/2015 9:44:29 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

False Dichotomy. Agnostic is defined as a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena. That is NOTHING is known or can be known.

And yet your chart says anything less than 100% certainty is agnostic. There is a gulf ~99% difference between definition and chart.

Theist who make an assertive claim of God sometimes are not 100% certain, but feel God is a likely conclusion.

Nitpicking as to what counts as knowledge comes way after where the OP is right now.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2015 10:10:28 PM
At 1/20/2015 9:50:05 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 1/20/2015 9:44:29 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Nitpicking as to what counts as knowledge comes way after where the OP is right now.

Making any claim from an agnostic position is purely emotional and speculation. There is nothing rational about them.

You're on a game show and there is one curtain. You're asked what is behind the curtain.

Now let's a rational intellectual discussion about what you said. If it wasn't "I don't know" Then there is nothing to talk about.
Geneaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 3:10:02 AM
At 1/20/2015 7:59:29 PM, Burzmali wrote:

Why do atheists keep defining atheism in a nonstandard way? Atheism is not believing in God's existence. Every dictionary and philosophical textbook describes it as such.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 1:09:43 PM
At 1/21/2015 3:10:02 AM, Geneaux wrote:

Why do atheists keep defining atheism in a nonstandard way? Atheism is not believing in God's existence. Every dictionary and philosophical textbook describes it as such.

Right, and not believing in something is distinctly different from believing that said something doesn't exist. "We have no evidence there are no gods" is a ridiculous thing to say to someone who simply lacks belief.
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 1:23:47 PM
At 1/21/2015 3:10:02 AM, Geneaux wrote:

They don't. Try parsing your own post; they do not believe that there is a god. That is different from believing there is not a god.

Here's some two-part rambling that shows why you're an idiot:

http://www.aynrant.com...
http://www.aynrant.com...
NathanDuclos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 6:13:17 PM

Because for many years, the terms to used were to insult rather then define. USA defined russia as a communist country, by the definition of communisim it is not. As a Do you go with popular verbage or use it as the term is intended.

How and what you define things usually have some standing to what your idea of it its.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 6:38:32 PM

We have no evidence there are no aliens abducting humans and raping them either.

Although we can't disprove such things we do form views that it probably doesn't exist. Some people do the same with "God".
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12