Jump to topic:

Devil's advocate (theist vs atheist) tourney

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 10:17:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Just starting a tournament because I feel like it, so...

It is my personal belief that anyone that holds a position strongly should be able to play devil's advocate, so I figured I would make this.

If you wish to debate you must agree to play devil's advocate in your debate on a religious topic.

Some examples of topics include:
1) Does God exist?
2) Moral realism vs moral relativism
3) Holy Book X is infallible
4) Creationism/ID vs Evolution
5) Belief in god is justifiable

Everyone will have 4 debates in this tournament, every atheist will debate every theist. In the case of a tie, there will be a tie breaker debate(s).

DEBATE STRUCTURE:
4 rounds, 8,000 characters per round, 2 days between rounds.
First round acceptance.
1 week voting period.

The first round must be started on February 1st.

THEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

ATHEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 10:32:59 AM
I'm quite good at playing devils advocate (hmm, modesty) but I don't think I have time to do this. I will watch with great interest though.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 12:16:40 PM
At 1/21/2015 10:17:18 AM, SNP1 wrote:

It is my personal belief that anyone that holds a position strongly should be able to play devil's advocate, so I figured I would make this.

If you wish to debate you must agree to play devil's advocate in your debate on a religious topic.

1) Does God exist?

Everyone will have 4 debates in this tournament, every atheist will debate every theist. In the case of a tie, there will be a tie breaker debate(s).

DEBATE STRUCTURE:
First round acceptance.
1 week voting period.

THEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

ATHEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

Will the debate topic and opponent be determined by lottery? Will all debates be going on at the same time?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 12:24:19 PM
At 1/21/2015 12:16:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Will the debate topic and opponent be determined by lottery? Will all debates be going on at the same time?

You and your opponent must agree on a topic before the debate starts, all the first round debates will be going on at the same time.

I will post who you are facing when all the spots are taken. Everyone on the atheist side will debate everyone on the theist side. Similar to a round robin without atheists debating each other or theists debating each other except in the case of a tie.
#WarOnDDO
TrueScotsman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 12:39:08 PM

1) Does God exist?

DEBATE STRUCTURE:
First round acceptance.
1 week voting period.

THEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

ATHEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

I would probably do this if I had more time, I'm up for a promotion at work so I am focusing more of my time on that.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 1:04:02 PM
At 1/21/2015 12:24:19 PM, SNP1 wrote:

You and your opponent must agree on a topic before the debate starts, all the first round debates will be going on at the same time.

I will post who you are facing when all the spots are taken. Everyone on the atheist side will debate everyone on the theist side. Similar to a round robin without atheists debating each other or theists debating each other except in the case of a tie.

Ok, so I will only be dealing with one debate at a time, and it is possible that I may argue a resolution more than once? I'm a little leary of the two day time frame, but I think I can figure it out.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 1:05:01 PM
At 1/21/2015 1:04:02 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Ok, so I will only be dealing with one debate at a time, and it is possible that I may argue a resolution more than once? I'm a little leary of the two day time frame, but I think I can figure it out.

You can debate the same resolution multiple times if your opponent wants to, but I personally think that is a little boring.
#WarOnDDO
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 1:42:41 PM
At 1/21/2015 1:05:01 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 1/21/2015 1:04:02 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

You can debate the same resolution multiple times if your opponent wants to, but I personally think that is a little boring.

Well, that is not what I was suggesting, but you did answer my question. I'm in. I'll be the fodder for the theists!

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 1:46:49 PM

1) Does God exist?

DEBATE STRUCTURE:
First round acceptance.
1 week voting period.

THEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

ATHEISTS:
1) Envisage
2) Skepticalone
3)
4)

komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 2:02:26 PM

1) Does God exist?

DEBATE STRUCTURE:
First round acceptance.
1 week voting period.

THEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

ATHEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

I will join I'm an atheist so I guess that I'd be on the pro theist side.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 2:09:55 PM
At 1/21/2015 2:02:26 PM, komododragon8 wrote:
I will join I'm an atheist so I guess that I'd be on the pro theist side.

You would be arguing pro theist, but sign up under the atheist list.
#WarOnDDO
komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 2:11:36 PM
At 1/21/2015 1:46:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

1) Does God exist?

DEBATE STRUCTURE:
First round acceptance.
1 week voting period.

THEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

ATHEISTS:
1) Envisage
2) Skepticalone
3) komododragon8
4)
PGA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 3:01:25 PM

1) Does God exist?

DEBATE STRUCTURE:
First round acceptance.
1 week voting period.

THEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

ATHEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

Why would I want to defend a position I don't agree with?

I do like the idea of two opposing teams or panels of debaters, yet other than Annanicole (who has mysteriously been silent for three weeks) I find no supporters of Preterism/partial Preterism on this site that I am aware of to team up with, yet I also favor Calvinism and would be willing to team up with someone who supports this biblical view, or even someone who favored a view on objective morality and wanted to debate that subject. If you arranged something along such lines it would hold my interest. It would depend on my work schedule next month before I would commit.

Peter
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 3:12:28 PM
At 1/21/2015 3:01:25 PM, PGA wrote:

1) Does God exist?

DEBATE STRUCTURE:
First round acceptance.
1 week voting period.

THEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

ATHEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

Why wouldn't you? It's a great exercise to test your beliefs. If what you believe is true what's the harm in it? It can actually help strengthen your beliefs....and if it doesn't stand up to scrutiny then why would you want to hold on to those beliefs anyway?

They do it in philosophy classes all the time and one of the main things when you are formulating an argument is thinking of objections against it.
I do like the idea of two opposing teams or panels of debaters, yet other than Annanicole (who has mysteriously been silent for three weeks) I find no supporters of Preterism/partial Preterism on this site that I am aware of to team up with, yet I also favor Calvinism and would be willing to team up with someone who supports this biblical view, or even someone who favored a view on objective morality and wanted to debate that subject. If you arranged something along such lines it would hold my interest. It would depend on my work schedule next month before I would commit.

Peter
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 4:43:05 PM

1) Does God exist?

DEBATE STRUCTURE:
First round acceptance.
1 week voting period.

THEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

ATHEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

Peter

Aww, come on, Peter. We need some theists! ;-)

PGA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 5:22:03 PM
At 1/21/2015 3:12:28 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

1) Does God exist?

DEBATE STRUCTURE:
First round acceptance.
1 week voting period.

THEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

ATHEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

Why wouldn't you? It's a great exercise to test your beliefs. If what you believe is true what's the harm in it? It can actually help strengthen your beliefs....and if it doesn't stand up to scrutiny then why would you want to hold on to those beliefs anyway?

My belief is strengthened by God's word and His confirmation of it. Why would I want to test something I know is true? I think the atheist/agnostic argument fails on many fronts, especially origins, morality and their understanding of Scripture.

They do it in philosophy classes all the time and one of the main things when you are formulating an argument is thinking of objections against it.

I get enough objections in my forum posts, thanks very much!

I was once in the position of unbelief. Now I am not. My mind is made up. I believe God. I can't appeal to a higher authority. I work on a Van Tillian presuppositional basis in which every worldview builds upon core suppositions that are accepted by faith. I have put my faith in Christ and His word and see no point in playing games where I deny my faith for an exercise in futility.

Peter
PGA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 5:25:23 PM
At 1/21/2015 4:43:05 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

1) Does God exist?

DEBATE STRUCTURE:
First round acceptance.
1 week voting period.

THEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

ATHEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

Peter

I'll misrepresent your arguments and you will mine. Let's face it, I have a Christian bias to atheistic beliefs. I'm not going to be neutral, nor will anyone else. (^8

Peter
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 5:52:54 PM
At 1/21/2015 2:59:47 PM, SNP1 wrote:
No theists yet?

I'd be willing to be the first theist, but it depends when it starts.
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 6:08:43 PM
No theists yet?

So I can debate using straw mans, misrepresenting the theist position, shifting the burden of proof, throw out red herrings, and when in doubt redefine the words and repeat the definition of atheism?

Awesome my argument will be the gold standard for atheist here on out.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 7:09:43 PM
At 1/21/2015 5:25:23 PM, PGA wrote:
At 1/21/2015 4:43:05 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

1) Does God exist?

DEBATE STRUCTURE:
First round acceptance.
1 week voting period.

THEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

ATHEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

Peter

I'll misrepresent your arguments and you will mine. Let's face it, I have a Christian bias to atheistic beliefs. I'm not going to be neutral, nor will anyone else. (^8

Peter

I have no intention of deliberately misrepresenting your arguments. I admit it will be harder for me to defend your viewpoint than my default. It is an interesting exercise, at any rate.

If nothing else, it will help us all understand the opposing viewpoint a little better, and that's not a bad thing. ;-)

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 7:11:48 PM
At 1/21/2015 6:08:43 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
No theists yet?

So I can debate using straw mans, misrepresenting the theist position, shifting the burden of proof, throw out red herrings, and when in doubt redefine the words and repeat the definition of atheism?

Hahaha! You funny man! ;-)

I don't see your name on the list, yet! What are you waiting for?!

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 7:20:55 PM
At 1/21/2015 5:22:03 PM, PGA wrote:
At 1/21/2015 3:12:28 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

1) Does God exist?

DEBATE STRUCTURE:
First round acceptance.
1 week voting period.

THEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

ATHEISTS:
1)
2)
3)
4)

My belief is strengthened by God's word and His confirmation of it. Why would I want to test something I know is true? I think the atheist/agnostic argument fails on many fronts, especially origins, morality and their understanding of Scripture.

I get enough objections in my forum posts, thanks very much!

I was once in the position of unbelief. Now I am not. My mind is made up. I believe God. I can't appeal to a higher authority. I work on a Van Tillian presuppositional basis in which every worldview builds upon core suppositions that are accepted by faith. I have put my faith in Christ and His word and see no point in playing games where I deny my faith for an exercise in futility.

Peter

Ignoring the million other problems I have with your position, how exactly is the, say, Muslim on any weaker epistemic ground than you if they said the exact same thing as you do?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 7:26:18 PM
No theists yet?

I very much look forward to our DA debate then if that's your belief :-)
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 7:30:55 PM
At 1/21/2015 7:26:18 PM, Envisage wrote:
No theists yet?

Me too, because I'm denying God's existence. I can't wait to see you take up the burden of proof that God exists. Because I don't know of any objective, repeatable, demonstrable experimental scientific evidence peer-reviewed and published that says God exists.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 7:33:37 PM
At 1/21/2015 7:30:55 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
No theists yet?

Me too, because I'm denying God's existence. I can't wait to see you take up the burden of proof that God exists. Because I don't know of any objective, repeatable, demonstrable experimental scientific evidence peer-reviewed and published that says God exists.

Sure, that's exactly the way it should be, I take the burden of proof to demonstrate the claim. Whether or not the claim is scientific is not necessarily relevant though.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 7:40:08 PM
At 1/21/2015 7:33:37 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 1/21/2015 7:30:55 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
No theists yet?

Sure, that's exactly the way it should be, I take the burden of proof to demonstrate the claim. Whether or not the claim is scientific is not necessarily relevant though.

So you admit God is imaginary, which is defined as "existing only in the imagination". But "existing" in a dream is not useful to anyone and is not a truth about this reality.