My Fake Religion

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 7:06:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Okay... so I have been thinking.

Would a religious framework to my life make me happier? Yes.
Have any religions proven themselves to be true? No.
Could I suspend disbelief for large periods of time to pray and 'objectify' moral viewpoints? Probably yes.
Would such a fake pretense of religion make me a happier, saner, better person? Yes.

Why don't we just fake it... take all the benefits that faith might bring, and dump all the homophobic, violent, incoherent crap?

Would this just make us as bad as your typical anglican, unitarian universalist or wiccan? No, because the religion will openly 'marketed' as simply a useful artificial construct.

A productive philosophy or moral conduct, crowned with a deity simply to aid conceptulisation?

Makes sense to me.

All we need is a name, The Holy High Church of Personified Humanism? The Sacred Order of Piously Conducted Atheists?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 7:10:36 PM
I see no possible benefits of religion. Otherwise, I would have been on that buss a long time ago.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 7:14:01 PM
At 6/22/2010 7:11:38 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I admit it would be fun to pretend though. But that's what Pastafarianism is for.

I thought that was just a piss take.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
surfride
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 7:17:10 PM
but think about it, if you don't believe in it, what does religion/prayer provide? Instead of praying, why not just tell yourself you can do something? Ultimately you'd harness the same placebo effect without having to resort to something that makes no sense. . . And religion and the homophobia and all the other bad stuff you said are very intertwined; you really can't just separate them, because the latter will always be justified by the former, and it's a self perpetuating cycle. Better to dump the belief, stop wasting Sundays, and stop living as if every mistake you make could send you to hell, because it won't. And think about it this way: Even if there is a god, who would he rather let into this hypothetical heaven, someone who believed but was a jerk all their life, or someone who had good reasons for disbelief who tried to do good all their life because it just felt right?
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 7:18:30 PM
do the benefits of religion not come from the fact that they actually believe there is some form of a god and afterlife? besides that what is there?
signature
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 7:19:35 PM
At 6/22/2010 7:18:42 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I should make a religion around Boxxy.

Erm, CORRECTION! I will inquire into being revealed to the truth of the Boxxy religion!
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 7:20:04 PM
At 6/22/2010 7:06:35 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Could I suspend disbelief for large periods of time to pray and 'objectify' moral viewpoints? Probably yes.
Would such a fake pretense of religion make me a happier, saner, better person? Yes.

Why don't we just fake it... take all the benefits that faith might bring, and dump all the homophobic, violent, incoherent crap?

Would this just make us as bad as your typical anglican, unitarian universalist or wiccan? No, because the religion will openly 'marketed' as simply a useful artificial construct.

A productive philosophy or moral conduct, crowned with a deity simply to aid conceptulisation?

Makes sense to me.

All we need is a name, The Holy High Church of Personified Humanism? The Sacred Order of Piously Conducted Atheists?

the benefits come from actually believing in it. and its not "belief in god" that gives comfort so much as the feeling of belonging to a community and having someone (jesus!) who will love you no matter what. community and loving relationships are quite possible without belief in supernatural bs... so... why bother with the lies when you can have the truth and happiness?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 7:52:12 PM

Makes sense to me.

Whatever sense of spiritualism you'd be able to acquire would still be diluted with cynicism and doubt, which would render it useless. A fake sense of religion is as good as Tofurkey. It may look like turkey, but it sure as heck don't taste like it. Why put yourself through the strain of conforming to a religion for the chance of happiness? Also, if it's so easy to fake and manipulate, how would it really be useful to you? You'd know it's fake. Those who believe in religions, believe it's real. That's what gives them the strength and conviction.

Get a hobby. A better Job. Go on an impromptu trip. Do something outrageous. These would have a better chance of making you happy. And if you want to feel fulfilled, why not volunteer or work for a charity? Be a mentor for a kid who's in the depths of poverty. Help out at a local food bank.

Why do you think you need religion to be happy and fulfilled? Are you saying you've never been secure as you are now? If you want to believe in a religion, do it because you believe in it, not just for the sake of believing in something.

Also, what's wrong with Wicca?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 7:52:58 PM
At 6/22/2010 7:19:44 PM, badger wrote:

you should go jump off a cliff.

Yikes. Someone's hostile. o_0
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 8:22:04 PM
At 6/22/2010 7:52:58 PM, annhasle wrote:

Yikes. Someone's hostile. o_0

i joke.
signature
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 8:38:24 PM
At 6/22/2010 8:25:57 PM, Puck wrote:
At 6/22/2010 7:52:12 PM, annhasle wrote:

Also, what's wrong with Wicca?

It's near the top of lols.

Lols?
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 8:57:28 PM
At 6/22/2010 8:43:48 PM, Puck wrote:
Amusing

Oh... I should have gotten that... >.<

I don't really follow it too closely but my mom is Wiccan. It's kind of kooky at times but I do like one aspect of it. It's an individualistic religion and each person can worship what and how they want.

I think the "coven" wiccans are creepy though... o_0 They all chant together and talk about black magic. WEIRD. And the cauldron plus a wand? Really? Like they wouldn't be made fun of before... Or how they burn white sage and "smudge" the house to cleanse it... which is just burning leaves and moving it in circles until the smoke fills the house. Yipee. Inhale tons of smoke... no wonder their all so weird. They're high on sage. LOL
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 9:09:43 PM

If it has truth to it. If you know its false then no.

Makes sense to me.

This is just ridiculous and not possible. You can't force yourself to truly believe something. You can try really hard to believe in invisible unicorns but it won't happen merely out of the will to believe it .

How about you create a religion based on things you actually believe to be true and a moral system you believe to be moral. The very fact that you have a system and theory of truth may console you. Try to look to the bright side of the bleak but true reality and maybe glorify it in your religion.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 9:18:45 PM
At 6/22/2010 9:01:28 PM, Puck wrote:
Salvia is a type of sage. :P

... I rest my case. '-_-
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 10:06:57 PM

Sigged.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 1:56:52 AM

Makes sense to me.

If you were to start with a simple premise, not one that was much of a stretch, and actually was somewhat logical, from that you can build further faith on logic and practical application. If you were to simply believe that there was purpose (and i mean a higher purpose) in all things, from that you can build. It is not such an outlandish notion to believe that there is reason for you to exist, and all things to exist, and with that you can start. If you spend less time trying to identify God, and more time identifying purpose, God will fall into play more. For me the most logical purpose of all things is growth - everything points to it. Growth to what end i am not privy to yet. Let me ask you, do you think that it is an unreasonable belief to think that there is a higher purpose to existence?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 4:22:08 AM
It seems some people have understood what I am saying others have not.

I am not proposing simply fooling myself into believing something I know is false. But to simply create an emotional psychological crutch to better navigate through life.
Cogito-ergo-sum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 5:01:49 AM
At 6/23/2010 4:22:08 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I am not proposing simply fooling myself into believing something I know is false. But to simply create an emotional psychological crutch to better navigate through life.

You should check out Alan Moore and his insights into Glycon.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 5:19:28 AM
At 6/22/2010 10:06:57 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Sigged.

stop sigging that stuff.
signature
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 10:55:23 AM
At 6/23/2010 5:19:28 AM, badger wrote:
At 6/22/2010 10:06:57 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Sigged.

stop sigging that stuff.

Stop saying it then :P
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 11:51:28 AM

I am not proposing simply fooling myself into believing something I know is false.

You don't believe in God yet suggested that you want a deity in your belief system.

But to simply create an emotional psychological crutch to better navigate through life.

You didn't respond to my suggestion.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:22:21 PM

Drink heavily.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 12:56:41 PM
At 6/23/2010 11:51:28 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

I am not proposing simply fooling myself into believing something I know is false.

You don't believe in God yet suggested that you want a deity in your belief system.

Yes, as the fake figurehead of an artificial system to aid conceptulisation.