Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 11:43:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am looking for a debate on one or both of these following resolutions:

1. The Christian God exists.
2. The Bible is infallible.

I am prepared to play Con. I am also open to other suggestions if anyone has something they would like to debate.

Thanks!
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 2:24:57 AM
Former Christian here, while an atheist, I tend to believe Christianity has plenty of benifits for the average person...

I would be interested in see a case arguing the merits of people following God's moral example, with considering to cases like Job.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 7:41:23 AM
If you want to debate Christianity you need to dump Pauline Christian theology altogether as it was only one of the early Christian pathways and never really Jewish at all but Gentile Church Father formulated for Roman Empire consumption. Just because the Roman Empire spread Pauline Christianity never made Pauline Christianity true to Christianity as Christianity is a Jewish religious phenomena, not Church Father Gentile. I teach Celestial Torah Christianity which goes back even further to Christian roots than Judaism which itself was an overlay on ancient Christian Way or Torah, that word's derivation from Egypt not even known to rabbis anymore. You want real Christianity, you have to go to the original source of the teaching which was astro-theological, the Celestial Torah in other words.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 10:05:11 AM
At 1/21/2015 11:43:13 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

I am prepared to play Con. I am also open to other suggestions if anyone has something they would like to debate.

Thanks!

I definately would be bad at 1. but what do you mean by infallible?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 10:11:38 AM
At 1/22/2015 10:05:11 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Thanks!

He mean inerrant. The inerrancy of the bible is fundamental Christian doctrine or belief.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 11:03:04 AM
At 1/22/2015 2:24:57 AM, Ragnar wrote:
Former Christian here, while an atheist, I tend to believe Christianity has plenty of benifits for the average person...

I would be interested in see a case arguing the merits of people following God's moral example, with considering to cases like Job.

I'm not sure I understand the argument. Could you clarify?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 11:05:02 AM

Thanks!

Incapable of making mistakes or being wrong.

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 11:08:53 AM
At 1/22/2015 11:05:02 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Thanks!

If your talking literally, I'm not gonna lie and say we should take it all literally. Psalms 94:1 is one fine example if you read it and Copernicus' theory.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 1:23:42 PM
At 1/22/2015 11:08:53 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 1/22/2015 11:05:02 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Thanks!

If your talking literally, I'm not gonna lie and say we should take it all literally. Psalms 94:1 is one fine example if you read it and Copernicus' theory.

I'm not referring to obvious figurative language, but I do believe there is literal language there that contradicts what we now know of the world. However, there are passages which contradict each other avoiding this aspect. For instance, the Nephilim existing after the flood contradicts the passages which suggests every living creature (with exception to those on the ark) were wiped out in the flood. There are other passages, but this is an example of what I was referring to.

Kylar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 1:34:24 PM
I am a Christian! What's up?
May your sails never have to be furled, and may the winds of God carry you home
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 1:37:57 PM
At 1/22/2015 10:11:38 AM, Harikrish wrote:

Thanks!

He mean inerrant. The inerrancy of the bible is fundamental Christian doctrine or belief.

Not really. You're aware that there are vast swathes of Christians who aren't inerrantists, right? And "inerrancy" really only arose in the past 150 years as response to post enlightment influences. It's reallly a protestant, western thing.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 5:31:15 AM
At 1/22/2015 11:03:04 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 1/22/2015 2:24:57 AM, Ragnar wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the argument. Could you clarify?
Sorry... Basically if the god of the Bible would or would not be a good role model to emulate.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
gordonjames
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 6:30:52 AM

I would disagree that inerrancy of the written 66 books of the protestant Bible is a fundamental Christian belief.

It is a much later addition by a relatively small sect of Christians.

for example -
the earliest Christian creeds are more about Jesus than about Paul's letters.

Most Christians know that God is perfect, but that we are sinful and broken.
A more accurate approach to scripture is that we can trust God (the Holy Spirit) to help us understand correctly.

There is a certain need for certainty in people that like the claim of "Biblical inerrancy" that God does not often cater to. He tells us to trust Him, and to walk with Him, and to obey and honour him. In fact there is a danger in calling the church, or the pope, or even our printed or spoken words infallible. It is the danger of idolizing a man made thing, and not God.

I do not want to sound to harsh, but inerrance is one of the idols of our time.
gordonjames
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 6:51:52 AM
Hi.

I am a Christian, and I like to debate, but I have a problem with both your debate topics.

In Hebrews 11 I get the impression that God likes faith and trust, and WILL NOT give us the ability to "force people to believe." He seems to deliberately leave people room to ignore Him and even deny His existence. I can give evidence, But God has chosen to have His most irrefutable evidence around the person of Jesus, and the presence of the Holy Spirit. It also seems that the focus is not us judging God, but us seeking His approval.

I would love to debate this, but I would also be on the CON side.
In as much as the Bible is a work of human hands it is full of mistakes and problems. God has given us the Holy Spirit (in part) to teach us about Jesus, so the minor errors in the printed word are not an issue.

There might be errors in the originals (which we do not have)
There are certainly differences in some of the manuscripts we do have.
We make mistakes in translation and interpretation.
There are ideas that the original language conveyed to the original culture that we do not get (See example below) because our words, thoughts and culture are so different.
Even if we had a perfect translation of perfectly preserved originals I am still quite likely to intentionally misinterpret because I don't like what it says. This is what Jesus was dealing with in Mt 15:1-9
They didn't want to support their parents, so they said their "giving to the church" was the money they would have used for mom & DAD.

There are many examples in scripture where the desire for inerrancey (rather than faith in a living God) is idolatry.

=================

Hebrews 11:1-6 (NASB)
1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. 2 For by it the men of old gained approval.
3 By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible. 4 By faith Abel offered to God a better sacrifice than Cain, through which he obtained the testimony that he was righteous, God testifying about his gifts, and through faith, though he is dead, he still speaks. 5 By faith Enoch was taken up so that he would not see death; and he was not found because God took him up; for he obtained the witness that before his being taken up he was pleasing to God. 6 And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

Matthew 15 (NASB)
1 Then some Pharisees and scribes *came to Jesus from Jerusalem and said, 2 "Why do Your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat bread." 3 And He answered and said to them, "Why do you yourselves transgress the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? 4 For God said, "Honor your father and mother," and, "He who speaks evil of father or mother is to be put to death." 5 But you say, "Whoever says to his father or mother, "Whatever I have that would help you has been given to God," 6 he is not to honor his father or his mother." And by this you invalidated the word of God for the sake of your tradition. 7 You hypocrites, rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you:
8 "This people honors Me with their lips, But their heart is far away from Me.
9 "But in vain do they worship Me,Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.""
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 9:00:42 AM
At 1/24/2015 6:51:52 AM, gordonjames wrote:
Hi.

Hi, Gordon

I am a Christian, and I like to debate, but I have a problem with both your debate topics.

Okay.

In Hebrews 11 I get the impression that God likes faith and trust, and WILL NOT give us the ability to "force people to believe." He seems to deliberately leave people room to ignore Him and even deny His existence. I can give evidence, But God has chosen to have His most irrefutable evidence around the person of Jesus, and the presence of the Holy Spirit. It also seems that the focus is not us judging God, but us seeking His approval.

1 Peter 3:15

but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence

Assuming the Christian God exists, I get the impression he desires for Christians to explain their faith. Also, I don't believe St Paul (Saul) was left room to ignore god on the Demascus road.

In as much as the Bible is a work of human hands it is full of mistakes and problems.

We agree on this.

God has given us the Holy Spirit (in part) to teach us about Jesus, so the minor errors in the printed word are not an issue.

If your getting into a textual analysis, then there are many, many, many differences. "There are more variations in our manuscripts than there are words in the New Testament." (Bart Ehrman) I believe there are about 130,000 words in the New Testament and something in excess of 400,000 variations among the manuscripts!

However, I was referring to the Bible itself, and not the manuscripts, - places where the Bible contradicts itself.

There are ideas that the original language conveyed to the original culture that we do not get (See example below) because our words, thoughts and culture are so different.
Even if we had a perfect translation of perfectly preserved originals I am still quite likely to intentionally misinterpret because I don't like what it says. This is what Jesus was dealing with in Mt 15:1-9
They didn't want to support their parents, so they said their "giving to the church" was the money they would have used for mom & DAD.

There are many examples in scripture where the desire for inerrancey (rather than faith in a living God) is idolatry.

=================

1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. 2 For by it the men of old gained approval.
3 By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible. 4 By faith Abel offered to God a better sacrifice than Cain, through which he obtained the testimony that he was righteous, God testifying about his gifts, and through faith, though he is dead, he still speaks. 5 By faith Enoch was taken up so that he would not see death; and he was not found because God took him up; for he obtained the witness that before his being taken up he was pleasing to God. 6 And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

Matthew 15 (NASB)
1 Then some Pharisees and scribes *came to Jesus from Jerusalem and said, 2 "Why do Your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat bread." 3 And He answered and said to them, "Why do you yourselves transgress the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? 4 For God said, "Honor your father and mother," and, "He who speaks evil of father or mother is to be put to death." 5 But you say, "Whoever says to his father or mother, "Whatever I have that would help you has been given to God," 6 he is not to honor his father or his mother." And by this you invalidated the word of God for the sake of your tradition. 7 You hypocrites, rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you:

PGA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 11:32:14 AM
At 1/24/2015 6:51:52 AM, gordonjames wrote:
Hi.

In as much as the Bible is a work of human hands it is full of mistakes and problems. God has given us the Holy Spirit (in part) to teach us about Jesus, so the minor errors in the printed word are not an issue.

=================

Matthew 15 (NASB)

I am also a Christian so for me to hear you speak of the Bible as errant is very disconcerting. You quote Hebrews 11:6 and Matthew 15:1-9 but how do you know these verses are an accurate understanding of what God has spoken? Why put your faith in something you don't know as true or in Someone that you don't know is true? To say that God is incapable of preserving His word is just like saying that what you read when you read the Bible could be or that could not be the words of God, we just don't know. Who decides? In the process of tearing down God's word what do you have left to stand on?

1 Thessalonians 2:13 (NASB)
13 For this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe.

Psalm 12:6
The words of the Lord are pure words; As silver tried in a furnace on the earth, refined seven times.

Matthew 24:35
Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.

Peter
gordonjames
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 11:05:55 AM
I am also a Christian so for me to hear you speak of the Bible as errant is very disconcerting. You quote Hebrews 11:6 and Matthew 15:1-9 but how do you know these verses are an accurate understanding of what God has spoken? Why put your faith in something you don't know as true or in Someone that you don't know is true? To say that God is incapable of preserving His word is just like saying that what you read when you read the Bible could be or that could not be the words of God, we just don't know. Who decides? In the process of tearing down God's word what do you have left to stand on?

13 For this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe.

The words of the Lord are pure words; As silver tried in a furnace on the earth, refined seven times.

Peter

Hi Peter

Sorry to be so long in getting back to you.

My issue is that so many of the people who claim that the Bible is inerrant have made their claim, not based on a clear teaching of scripture, but on a fear that maybe they "don't have all the answers neatly sewn up."

God is perfect and true. 100% agreement there.
The Bible says that God is true. 100% agreement there.
The Bible says that Gods word is true. 100% agreement there.
Some them make the claim that the Bible (66 books in their preferred version in English) is infallible or inerrant. I do not agree with their interpretation and assumptions or this conclusion. We call the Bible God's word, but this is not what the inspired writers of scripture were talking about. (since they had no idea of our 66 books in English)

It is clear that God is inerrant and infallible.
He has not been tainted with sin and error.

We, however, are sinners who daily make mistakes and engage in disobedience to the Father. Everything that humanity touches will be tainted with sin and error.

I don't think believers should get sidetracked with arguments (outside academic circles) over things like inerrancy or infallibility. We have a message to proclaim.

1 Cor 15:3-7
3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 6 Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles.

I want my foundation to be Jesus, God himself, the Holy Spirit.
I love the scriptures.
I try to read through the whole book once every year.
I just don't think there is justification in scripture to put our faith in The Book (or even my ability to understand The Book) rather than in God himself.
PGA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 10:38:38 PM
At 4/28/2015 11:05:55 AM, gordonjames wrote:

Peter

Hi Peter

Sorry to be so long in getting back to you.

My issue is that so many of the people who claim that the Bible is inerrant have made their claim, not based on a clear teaching of scripture, but on a fear that maybe they "don't have all the answers neatly sewn up."

How can Scripture be clear if we don't know what of the word is inerrant? Either God is fully capable of ensuring we have His words to us or its a flip of a coin as to what is from Him and what is not. Do you really want to go there?

God is perfect and true. 100% agreement there.
The Bible says that God is true. 100% agreement there.
The Bible says that Gods word is true. 100% agreement there.
Some then make the claim that the Bible (66 books in their preferred version in English) is infallible or inerrant. I do not agree with their interpretation and assumptions or this conclusion. We call the Bible God's word, but this is not what the inspired writers of scripture were talking about. (since they had no idea of our 66 books in English)

We work from the original languages. When in doubt we find out what the original Greek or Hebrew or Aramaic say. We have enough copies to determine this.

It is clear that God is inerrant and infallible.
He has not been tainted with sin and error.

We, however, are sinners who daily make mistakes and engage in disobedience to the Father. Everything that humanity touches will be tainted with sin and error.

I don't think believers should get sidetracked with arguments (outside academic circles) over things like inerrancy or infallibility. We have a message to proclaim.

1 Cor 15:3-7
3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 6 Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles.

We use His Word as our plumb line.

2 Corinthians 10:3-5 (NASB)

3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, 4 for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. 5 We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,

I want my foundation to be Jesus, God himself, the Holy Spirit.
I love the scriptures.
I try to read through the whole book once every year.
I just don't think there is justification in scripture to put our faith in The Book (or even my ability to understand The Book) rather than in God himself.

Yes, Jesus is our foundation. We understand and get to know God through His Word, by trusting His Son and Spirit. He does not lie. You have to correctly interpret His word and that comes through studying His Word and understanding what He is saying, not what we want to read in that isn't there. Scripture interprets itself.

Once you doubt some passage of Scripture what is to say that any passage of Scripture is true?

If you don't put your trust in His written word, that reveals the Living Word, that it is true, where are you going to put your faith in? Which parts of His word are you going to select as true and which parts are you going to reject? Do you think God will speak to you personally and teach you things that go contrary to His written revelation?

Peter
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 10:44:39 PM

Thanks!

- Would you go for Islam too?
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
PGA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 12:09:59 AM

Thanks!

Why?

You already have your answers, Skepticalone. Play away!

Peter
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 12:48:20 AM
At 4/30/2015 10:44:39 PM, Yassine wrote:

Thanks!

If I knew anything about Islam I would, but I am afraid I would not provide you much of an opponent as is. If you tell me resolutions that interest you, I might be willing to do a little research on it.

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 12:53:21 AM
At 5/1/2015 12:09:59 AM, PGA wrote:

Thanks!

Why?

Peter

I have my own impression of what is true, but I can be swayed. I thought I might at least get someone interested in defending the Christian god. Surprisingly, no one is willing to defend that belief.

PGA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 4:39:02 PM
At 5/1/2015 12:53:21 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Thanks!

Why?

Peter

I have my own impression of what is true, but I can be swayed. I thought I might at least get someone interested in defending the Christian god. Surprisingly, no one is willing to defend that belief.

I don't have the time, sorry. The business is picking up and will be busy for another couple of months. I'm also very high strung right now.

Peter
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 4:43:02 PM
At 5/1/2015 4:39:02 PM, PGA wrote:
At 5/1/2015 12:53:21 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Thanks!

Why?

Peter

I don't have the time, sorry. The business is picking up and will be busy for another couple of months. I'm also very high strung right now.

I will always be willing to debate this resolution if/when you have the time. I assume business picking up is a good thing - congrats. I'll talk with you when things slow down. ;-)

Peter

Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 7:12:36 PM
At 5/1/2015 12:48:20 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Thanks!

If I knew anything about Islam I would, but I am afraid I would not provide you much of an opponent as is. If you tell me resolutions that interest you, I might be willing to do a little research on it.

- The same resolutions above will do, or anything Islam related you'd like to debate.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2015 8:43:01 PM

At 5/1/2015 7:12:36 PM, Yassine wrote:

- The same resolutions above will do, or anything Islam related you'd like to debate.

Have you tried buying a debate?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth